PDA

View Full Version : 6.0 P-stroke issues

Rocket Power
06-28-2009, 11:37 PM
When the time comes for me to get a new truck it'll hopefully be a diesel and most likely a Ford. Since I can't afford a $50K truck it'll be used also. I've heard the 6.0 PS has issues/problems and people prefer the 7.3's because of that.
What kind of problems do they have.

Signed,
Gassin' in Stallis:goof:rolf

Yeehaw
06-28-2009, 11:47 PM
you seriouslly want the list!?

biggest issue is the EGR cooling and getting plugged up
also have injector issues
heard of turbo issues
some trans issues but what ford doesnt right?
headgaskets

prolly more but slipping my mind this late at night

Rocket Power
06-28-2009, 11:52 PM
you seriouslly want the list!?

That pretty much says it all doesn't it.:rolf

Yeehaw
06-28-2009, 11:57 PM
yea...i have talked to both sides of the story talked with guys who had 50k and had been to hell and back...others 200k no issues ever! hard to say i wouldnt mind getting one for my next truck if you modify and fix the issues its not too bad ill give ya my copy of last months diesel power they did a whole article on fixing the 6.0 issues

jon_we4
06-29-2009, 06:46 AM
I know 2 separate people that had 6.0's and blew a few motors around 2006. Then again I have another friend that has one and it's been perfectly fine. It sounds like rate of failures went down - and technically if it made it this far, it's probably not that bad :)

07ROUSHSTG3
06-29-2009, 06:57 AM
don't buy a ford 6.0. they are junk. egr valves every few thousand miles, head gaskets whenever they want, egr coolers grenading, turbos rusting, injectors sticking, oil pumps dying, and on and on and on.

wrath
06-29-2009, 07:31 AM
I don't think they're too bad other than they're noisy, they leak, everything that breaks costs a ton of money, and they're underpowered. But they do come with a pretty good transmission... just not the NV5600 the Dodges had.

One of my friends has had two of them and he's a diehard Ford guy. Nothing but problems with either between gaskets and injectors and and fuel pumps and and and and and. He said if Duramaxes could be found with a manual he'd have one.

SmokinRAM114
07-01-2009, 07:17 AM
well here is a run down of what i have done and can expect with 6.0s. Like stated the EGR plugs BUT it is only real common on 04s and up. The 03 and 04+ have a different EGR cooler pipe. 03s being true round and 04+ are a casted rounded square. most head gasket failures are caused from the egr being plugged, causing high coolant temp and the heads to warp with out warning. they also crack in the seam causing coolant to leak into the exhaust (pre turbo) or into the intake when the egr is open. the head bolts really only fail on there own after modifications have been done, IE a chip. The High pressure oil pump is the main culprit for the injector failure. The HPOP has a tendencey to eat its self putting small metal pieces in the oil, which we found out on an 06 after 6 differrent injectors failed.
personally i have done 2 sets of headstuds, egr delete on 2 different psds. an 03 and an 06, both trucks have been sold by the owner since, well kind of the 06 now has a 98 12v cummins in it ;) ill post some pics of some wierd projects iv had my hands on later.

-head studs
-egr cooler delete
i see no reason why a 6.0 wont last :thumbsup