PDA

View Full Version : Tire America rip off alert

Russ Jerome
06-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Being a mechanic in real life, 25+ years nothing makes me more pissed than runny nosed kids trying to sell things people do not need.

A freind asks if I will look at his late model truck, pulls to right. I do a thorough inspection of EVERYTHING and determine after moving the front tires to the rear it needs an alignment, the toe is too posotive and right caster apears low.

Tire America gives him a $600 quote for ball joints and tie rod ends. They elaborate and say "never seen a ball joint so bad, its hanging on by a thread".

So Im human maybe I missed something, it happens. Well I have him return to my house and tell him not to let them touch a thing. Guess what? My advanced alignment training at the Hunter school of engineering, my ASE testing in chassis certification, my nearly 30 years of on hand experience did not lead me astray! There is ZERO play in any component on this vehicle, not supporting control arms, not supporting frame, not with a 5' pry bar that the Tire America idiots dont even own.

Ok I feel better ranting now, idiots give real mechanics a bad rep. There may be skilled techs at some Tire America but this is the second issue I have evaluated that was total horse poo.

Goat Roper
06-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Where are there Tire Americas? Never been there...and it doesn't sound like I will be.

Karps TA
06-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Firestone at Southridge did the same thing to my dad a couple years ago when he went in for tires. Told him he needed all that plus new motor mounts. Took it in to the dealership and it needed none of those things.

pashtrd
06-28-2009, 03:46 PM
I have found a great place for alignments Noel's on college Ave near 13th.. I have gone there twice now with my truck.
I will not go anywhere else.

TheRX7Project
06-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Tires Plus on 27th and Rawson-ish has treated me well. I went there for tires and they told me things that were wrong, which I know are wrong, and didn't try to sell me anything I didn't need.

Memphis
06-28-2009, 05:58 PM
I have found a great place for alignments Noel's on college Ave near 13th.. I have gone there twice now with my truck.
I will not go anywhere else.

Noels a good shit, I take all the old cars there for alignments I wouldnt trust to leave with someone I dont know.