PDA

View Full Version : LSx/T56 Vs. SBF/T56

-stew-
06-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Starting from scratch, and cost factored in, what's my best bet? I'm in the panning/pricing stages of my '86. I thought of doing a 4v/t56/irs swap, but that might get real spendy, real quick. Plus mod motors are ugly as sin. I'm just kinda thinking out loud.

This would be going into my carb'd 4cyl '86 mustang. Would be efi either way, ford motor would be 351W based. No power adders. Nothing crazy, looking for 400rwhp and a six speed.

Thanks.

Discuss.

Crawlin
06-24-2009, 06:27 PM
SBF...

seriously, as much potential as there is in an LSx style engine...

the cost savings in just general crap(read gaskets) is enough to just stick with a SBF.

plus, the dime a dozen factor on finding sbf stuff is alot better than LSX stuff. and you have plenty of help from the sbf guys on here too. and every combination available has been done with those things.

hell i'm an LSx guy, and in your position I'd still do the SBF.

2006wrxtr
06-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Yes SBF 427 Dart motor would be awesome.......

DRK
06-24-2009, 10:50 PM
you can make 400rwhp NA with a sbf and good used parts for less then a T-56 swap

HITMAN
06-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Starting from scratch, and cost factored in, what's my best bet? I'm in the panning/pricing stages of my '86. I thought of doing a 4v/t56/irs swap, but that might get real spendy, real quick. Plus mod motors are ugly as sin. I'm just kinda thinking out loud.

This would be going into my carb'd 4cyl '86 mustang. Would be efi either way, ford motor would be 351W based. No power adders. Nothing crazy, looking for 400rwhp and a six speed.

Thanks.

Discuss.

I agree with what has been stated so far. Windsor FTW.

Disagree with mod motor statement. Not another American engine being produced today looks as cool as the 4V Romeo. Nothing like fender-to-fender valve covers. Might as well say the 426 Hemi, 427 SOHC, and 429 Shotgun all look like shit, as well...

BAD LS1
06-25-2009, 06:25 AM
Here is a good read on this exact subject, the ford guys are all up in arms at just how quick this fox went w/o its SBF power.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/610590-lsx-mustang-junkyard-fun.html

BOSS LX
06-25-2009, 07:27 AM
I have never seen a sbf go fast! Go with the ls power.

animal
06-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Wow, on THIS forum it's hard to believe we got more SBF answers than LSx answers let alone 6-1 :goof

SBF.

2 bad z's
06-25-2009, 08:06 AM
how fast do ya want to go? and how much $$$$ can your wallet handle

badass88gt
06-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Yes SBF 427 Dart motor would be awesome.......

If you are gonna do a Dart block there is no sense in stopping at 427......

434 inch small block would be cool.

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Furthermore wont a built FoMoCo 351 be like half the money for the same power ?

4.6 DOHC is right up there with the Boss 429, 427 SOHC and B/RB Hemi for great looking motors IMO.
Tho 32 valves and 17 timing chains is a bit crazy, factory blower for the win ?

4R70>T56 :alcoholic

Irish
06-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Lsx combo.

Sprayaway Fox
06-25-2009, 01:05 PM
More Power, high RPM, more TQ=Better parts. Whats your goal? What do you want the car to be, strip, roadrace, in between all around car?

MurphysLaw88GT
06-25-2009, 02:11 PM
A DOHC mod motor is not ugly...

FourEyedFord
06-25-2009, 03:13 PM
I don't see how that ET and MPH is believeable at all. A stock LSX motor with a cam trapping 135mph there has to be spray involved, even if the car is light. I don't think I have seen any LSX motor with a power adder in this area trap that high. (I don't mean to be a dick, just stating what I have seen)

I don't see the need to bastardize a fox body with any LSX motor. The aftermarket is there to exceed LSX power with a stroked windsor, so why change. I am pretty sure there is a pump gas SBF in BOSS LX's garage that made 600HP N/A on a dyno that is not out to lunch, too.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/YellowNotch/th_2trailer002.jpg (http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/YellowNotch/?action=view&current=2trailer002.flv)

Crawlin
06-25-2009, 07:17 PM
my 382 was 136mph on a 150 shot.

but then again that's something more than just a simple rebuild. so comparisons shouldn't be made to what I'm guessing the original poster is trying to do.

it's all a one off type thing. For that ONE mustang trapping 135mph, there's 9 other mustangs with similar setups that couldn't break 125mph i bet.

could that mustang be 135mph all motor with just a head/cam? yes it could if it's some lightweight drag setup. but then again thats just ONE guy doing it that knows his shit.

Like I said, you could follow any number of SBF builds that are all the same and all within 10hp of each other without having to put serious effort into it.

lotsals1
06-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Wow, on THIS forum it's hard to believe we got more SBF answers than LSx answers let alone 6-1 :goof

SBF.Well I guess its like this. The SBF Hi perf stuff has been out for um I dunno 30 years.There is 30 yrs of trial and error there and 30 yrs of just hands on exp and 30yrs of aftermarket parts. To where lsx has only been around for 12. Within the first 2 years there were tons of low 11 sec 3500lb ls1 cars with bolt ons and a better cam grind at the track,The downfall to the ls1 Small bore with no way to increase other than stroke.Ls iron block whole new ball game considering my tiny shit bore ls1 I got pulls in 430 range with a small cam and long tubes.It has at least 120 1/4 mile passes on it and
it gets 25/26 mpg :thumbsup Only this spring I noticed a power loss but Tommy found A few things to wake it up a little but I finally hurt something,I lost 4-5 oil psi @ idle. "prob. werfed a ring.
LSX is my vote and for 30yrs I was nothing but Mopar/Ford
The price on the stuff finally is going down in the next yr or 2 it will be close to sbf:D

FourEyedFord
06-25-2009, 07:29 PM
could that mustang be 135mph all motor with just a head/cam? yes it could if it's some lightweight drag setup.

In the first post it reads as a stock 6.0L with un-ported L92 heads, aftermarket cam, and carb intake. I take that as just a "cam only" motor really.

I forgot about you going a 136mph Chris, but your build was a little more in depth than the one in the video. ;)

BOSS LX
06-25-2009, 09:40 PM
There is no way on god's green earth that that car went 136mph with just a cam swap! With a 3000lb car and a turbo 400, that car would need to make a "TRUE" 500hp+ to the tire!

It sure makes for a great fairy tail though! :rolf

And stew if you want to build a LSx motor, put it in a GM!

HITMAN
06-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Well I guess its like this. The SBF Hi perf stuff has been out for um I dunno 30 years.There is 30 yrs of trial and error there and 30 yrs of just hands on exp and 30yrs of aftermarket parts. To where lsx has only been around for 12. Within the first 2 years there were tons of low 11 sec 3500lb ls1 cars with bolt ons and a better cam grind at the track.

Well, if you look at the port layout, the LS isn't anything but a Windsor style motor that's had the benefit of 30 years of new technology added in, so it's no surprise they do what they do with so little. Put some aftermarket heads with equivalent port flow and modern combustion chamber design on the Windsor and you will get equal results, for less cash. Remember, the engine doesn't know who's name is on the valve cover...

Sprayaway Fox
06-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Stock block HO,331,347, stock or recon aftermarket rods with forged slugs, GT 40 turbo swirls or better, E or F cam or Comp cam and a Novi 2000 12 psi, power pipe.

Used Mass air harness 200 bucks with a stickshift computer.

NA: Not stock block, Anderson N91 cam, good heads, 347 or above.

JUST ME, I would go with a regular block on the boosted setup just because of the RPM it would be out around 6200. Have a smooth idle. Think for the money you would get your use out of the block, if ya werent hammering on it all the time.

With the N91 you would be above 7000 RPM but you would make it your goal pretty easy but it is a big ass cam, drivability would be above 2500

letsrunem
06-26-2009, 01:19 AM
LSx will definitely be more expensive/more work.

Irish
06-26-2009, 01:27 AM
LSx will definitely be more fun in the long run.

FourEyedFord
06-26-2009, 01:50 AM
LSx will definitely be gayer in the long run.

:rolf :rolf

Irish
06-26-2009, 02:03 AM
:rolf :rolf

LSx is closer in design to the motor in your car than it is to the motor in my truck! :thumbsup

That's why they are superior in design. :thumbsup

With that being said, you are kinda calling the motors that you love, gay, by proxy. :rolf

letsrunem
06-26-2009, 02:07 AM
I agree Irish but it was not cheap at all. You're looking at close to 3 grand for motor/trans/wiring, then you need a swap k member, driveshaft, get the hydraulic clutch to work, rework the engine wiring harness, find a fuse/relay block to use, Kooks swap headers are $700, get the gauges to work. It's a lot of bs for 400hp.

letsrunem
06-26-2009, 02:08 AM
Unless you do a 5.3 which would be much cheaper.

Irish
06-26-2009, 02:17 AM
I agree Irish but it was not cheap at all. You're looking at close to 3 grand for motor/trans/wiring, then you need a swap k member, driveshaft, get the hydraulic clutch to work, rework the engine wiring harness, find a fuse/relay block to use, Kooks swap headers are $700, get the gauges to work. It's a lot of bs for 400hp.

You can do a motor, trans, and wiring for 2k-ish. It all depends on what you want and what you are willing to do yourself. I personally sold a complete ls1/t56 for 1900, minus the harness and ecu. A painless harness (or equal) and ecu are about 300-500 depending on what deals you find. Headers, you can make yourself. Most people modify 351W headers by moving a tube and welding LS1 flanges on them. K members are 250-300 ish however if you get creative, you can just do a front plate. Gauges... Oil, Temp, Volts, Tach. That is really all you need.

As far as the four hundred horse goes... You really have to do some work to get a 302/351 to make 400 N/A at the crank whereas an LSx does it with stock parts. Just breathing on an LSx will make 500 at the crank.. again using 75% stock parts.... Just in the right combination.

Don't get me wrong the roller 302/351's are in my top four favorite motors. The thing is they are old technology. Meaning a stock LSx head will flow with if not out flow most aftermarket 302/351 heads.

The LSx is what ford should have done with their push rod motors. GM just beat them to it.

letsrunem
06-26-2009, 02:27 AM
You can do a motor, trans, and wiring for 2k-ish. It all depends on what you want and what you are willing to do yourself. I personally sold a complete ls1/t56 for 1900, minus the harness and ecu. A painless harness (or equal) and ecu are about 300-500 depending on what deals you find. Headers, you can make yourself. Most people modify 351W headers by moving a tube and welding LS1 flanges on them. K members are 250-300 ish however if you get creative, you can just do a front plate. Gauges... Oil, Temp, Volts, Tach. That is really all you need.

As far as the four hundred horse goes... You really have to do some work to get a 302/351 to make 400 N/A at the crank whereas an LSx does it with stock parts. Just breathing on an LSx will make 500 at the crank.. again using 75% stock parts.... Just in the right combination.

Don't get me wrong the roller 302/351's are in my top four favorite motors. The thing is they are old technology. Meaning a stock LSx head will flow with if not out flow most aftermarket 302/351 heads.

The LSx is what ford should have done with their push rod motors. GM just beat them to it.

I know you can make a lot of it yourself, I did, just listing the straightforward foolproof ways to do it. If you have the means and money to do an LSx swap I'm 100% for it, let me know if you need help.

badass88gt
06-26-2009, 03:14 AM
347 with good heads, intake, custom grind cam, 400 at the wheels easily. If you are gonna do a 351 based go with the 408 in a stock 9.5 block and good parts and make 450-475 without breaking a sweat.

95mustang302
06-26-2009, 06:13 AM
^^ but by the time you get the 347 machined and the heads worked over, the custom cam your going to be way over 2k.

Were attempting the lsx swap on my 95 when the funds allow. It is a pretty straight forward swap, the hardest part is going to be getting my tko 500 to mate with the engine using the cable clutch setup.

badass88gt
06-26-2009, 07:17 AM
Where did anybody mention a price limit? Box stock heads, custom cam, cast crank 347 in a stock block. 400rwhp. Doesnt have to cost a billion dollars.

Crawlin
06-26-2009, 07:23 AM
There is no way on god's green earth that that car went 136mph with just a cam swap! With a 3000lb car and a turbo 400, that car would need to make a "TRUE" 500hp+ to the tire!

It sure makes for a great fairy tail though! :rolf

And stew if you want to build a LSx motor, put it in a GM!

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-results/818893-all-time-fastest-n-stock-ci-h-c.html

Check that list... And TWO of the guys going 9.9x are guys I personally know from down in IL. Magnus and Juggernaut. And I've personally seen both of them run when I'd go down to US41 with the F-body guys. Magnus was actually running my old 4400 stall from my red Camaro when he was running mid 10's with just a cam in the engine.

Those are head/cam cars.

Doing L92 heads is like doing a head swap on that motor. 300+cfm on the intake out of the box stock. So figure what those guys are going at 2800+ raceweight, have a lightweight coupe in the 2600lb range?(dont know if they can get that light) and you got your 136mph.

Here's the CAM ONLY list then instead of the head/cam.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-results/1030467-fastest-n-cam-only-all-ls-engines.html

Notice Magnus and 01-Z(same as Juggernaut) are still up there.

When Sean(Juggernaut/01-Z) was street racing that car at RSD's before he went N/A, it went 9.64 on 175 shot with just that same cam.

And yes, there has been 500rwhp cam only setups when assuming all other mods had been done(tb, intake, exhaust, etc...) Most of them are 6speeds. The automatics were usually around 475rwhp give or take some.

Whether you want to believe it or not, is fine(and while I quoted you Andy I am not directing this statement at you :) ) the design of the engine and it's aftermarket capabilities is actually pretty remarkable. It's just still at the point that the cost of these things is still gonna be pretty rediculous when compared to the tried and true sbc/sbf setups when only wanting mid number horsepower. When wanting that 800rwhp mark, costs get thrown out the window since that always costs $$$, ahah.

So again, while I only know LSx stuff..... I'd still do a SBF from what the poster is looking to do.

BOSS LX
06-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Now I am supposed to believe two chitown guys about their combo's? :rolf

A Lsx motor is nothing special. It pretty much is a 360inch small block Ford, with decent factory heads.

If it is true, it's true. I will expect all cammed LS cars in the area to at least trap in the mid 120's from now on.

I have no problems with the lsx motors, I actually wish Ford would have done the same thing. I do have problems with everyone worshiping them, and sticking them in to every platform know to man.

I have a cam only SBF, who wants to race?:rolf

Irish
06-26-2009, 10:59 AM
A Lsx motor is nothing special. It pretty much is a 360inch small block Ford, with decent factory heads.

Vindicated!

BOSS LX
06-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Vindicated!

It is hard to dispute that when a LS head bolts on to a sbf. :rolf

I wonder if Ford will buy the LSX motor from some government auction in the future? :rolf

MurphysLaw88GT
06-26-2009, 11:08 AM
I wonder if Ford will buy the LSX motor from some government auction in the future? :rolf

Zing!:thumbsup

HY35F2T
06-26-2009, 11:10 AM
^^ but by the time you get the 347 machined and the heads worked over, the custom cam your going to be way over 2k.

Were attempting the lsx swap on my 95 when the funds allow. It is a pretty straight forward swap, the hardest part is going to be getting my tko 500 to mate with the engine using the cable clutch setup.

ill expect a run at it when its done.:devil

BAD LS1
06-26-2009, 11:11 AM
It is hard to dispute that when a LS heads bolt on to a sbf. :rolf

Then new mustangs wont need blowers anymore to be ample!:goof This should single handedly put vortech and procharger out of buisness.

DoubleAron
06-26-2009, 11:13 AM

:wooo:rolf:wooo:rolf

BOSS LX
06-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Then new mustangs wont need blowers anymore to be ample!:goof This should single handedly put vortech and procharger out of buisness.

That was a good one! But you would think a cam only lsx that traps 136mph on nuts, should trap 150mph with 10psi out of a vortech! :rolf

SLOWC5
06-26-2009, 11:58 AM
the vette is cam only and traps 120mph with close to the shittest stock heads #853. made 406/373 in my 3600lb. w/driver

Want_Notch
06-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Sbf.

BAD LS1
06-26-2009, 12:17 PM
lol this thread looks identical to the SVT site thread.

FourEyedFord
06-26-2009, 01:43 PM
That was a good one! But you would think a cam only lsx that traps 136mph on nuts, should trap 150mph with 10psi out of a vortech! :rolf

Haha! You see lots of HP, but no ET! :thumbsup

John Force gave me his latest motor, and its in my garage next to my 1958 Mustang that the motor will be going in.
Just because you read it on the net doesn't make it true. I wonder why no one has been able to beat those two chitown guys with similar stuff.....hmmmm.

Irish
06-26-2009, 06:11 PM
It is hard to dispute that when a LS head bolts on to a sbf. :rolf

That would be perfectly fine by me. I have no brand loyalty. I like the engines, that I like. Ford, Chevy, Mopar.... etc.. :thumbsup

Crawlin
06-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Now I am supposed to believe two chitown guys about their combo's? :rolf

If it is true, it's true. I will expect all cammed LS cars in the area to at least trap in the mid 120's from now on.

I have no problems with the lsx motors, I actually wish Ford would have done the same thing. I do have problems with everyone worshiping them, and sticking them in to every platform know to man.

I have a cam only SBF, who wants to race?:rolf

nope, not supposed to. just saying....

seen the cars, know the parts going in them, watched them race. fuck the two chitown guys, there's still 5 other guys from the northeast or texas still up on that list that aren't street racers that could give two shits what anyone else thinks too :)

my stock engined full weight car went 115mph N/A. headers/exhaust/4400 stall. 5-8 mph out of a cam SO unrealistic? to get over your 120mph hump?

what did Tom's car trap when he was cam only? low 11's at 125?

what'd big mike's car from fast times trap? he was low 11's head/cam and him and the car were what, 4000lbs? he's no small chicken :)

Crawlin
06-26-2009, 06:53 PM
has been able to beat those two chitown guys with similar stuff.....hmmmm.

Looks like about 3-4 others have, and about 6 others have come close

Let's flip it then... why isn't anyone as fast as Aaron with his little YSi?

he can't possibly go so fast when andy and mark, and whoever else isn't nearly as close? is he one of maybe 5 other people that are going that fast? so does that make it NOT true?

maybe dedication to a combo? like aaron. and using all available resources of information to squeak that out of a combo? compared to everyone around here who tosses in some cookie cutter cam and runs to speed inc for a generic tune and goes from there. places and people that have the ability(and most of all shop support) to use a dyno once a week, to know what exactly is going on since Magnus(Keith is his name) is the guy that actually programmed the HP Tuners that is being used for a tuning device on ALL the lsx family of cars. Maybe that's why. Who knows. But I know they were out racing every weekend trying everything possible. Not just 5-10 times a year like everyone local around here?

:)

always gotta put that since topics seem to run off course a bit :) hahaha

hell like i said, i still support dude doing a sbf...

FourEyedFord
06-26-2009, 07:00 PM

Wasn't Tom just cam only for KOTH in 2004? I think he was going 11.7s at around 116.

In the thread, the guy that posted the link said he thought the car to be 2900lbs with driver, and the car has a TH400 on top of it. Why is there no outside vids of the car making passes either?

Just seems off....

FourEyedFord
06-26-2009, 07:13 PM

he can't possibly go so fast when andy and mark, and whoever else isn't nearly as close? is he one of maybe 5 other people that are going that fast? so does that make it NOT true?

maybe dedication to a combo? like aaron. and using all available resources of information to squeak that out of a combo? compared to everyone around here who tosses in some cookie cutter cam and runs to speed inc for a generic tune and goes from there. places and people that have the ability(and most of all shop support) to use a dyno once a week, to know what exactly is going on since Magnus(Keith is his name) is the guy that actually programmed the HP Tuners that is being used for a tuning device on ALL the lsx family of cars. Maybe that's why. Who knows. But I know they were out racing every weekend trying everything possible. Not just 5-10 times a year like everyone local around here?

Well I know Andy has not gotten a full pass out of his car at all with the YSi, and his car is quite a bit heavier than Aarons. (Not to mention completely different heads, cam, induction, and trans-so not really a direct relation at all)
I'm just going to say Mark's combo was less than optimal ;) too, and he had a YS. Not to take anything away from Aaron at all, but there have been quite a few 8.40-8.60 passes out of the YSi, some faster even.
There are a lot more variables in the YSi cars to keep in mind than, talking about "cam only" motors of the exact same type and form.....

I don't believe it at all, but if you believe it, more power to ya. Its all good.

BOSS LX
06-26-2009, 07:16 PM

There is no secret in why Aaron's car is as fast as it is. It is a combo that he started with from scratch. He knows what he is doing, and everything in his combo is a match.

I went 9.30's @ 150 3 years ago with a lot of bullshit parts and a YS trim! Maybe it is time for me to go all in? I wonder why my car isn't done yet?! :flipoff2:

I am done with this thread, because I am sick of internet racing. See you in true street, is your car almost done?

letsrunem
06-26-2009, 10:31 PM
nope, not supposed to. just saying....

seen the cars, know the parts going in them, watched them race. fuck the two chitown guys, there's still 5 other guys from the northeast or texas still up on that list that aren't street racers that could give two shits what anyone else thinks too :)

my stock engined full weight car went 115mph N/A. headers/exhaust/4400 stall. 5-8 mph out of a cam SO unrealistic? to get over your 120mph hump?

what'd big mike's car from fast times trap? he was low 11's head/cam and him and the car were what, 4000lbs? he's no small chicken :)

I did 119mph with a fairly mild cam, stock heads, full weight car. Then I put in an MS4 but never got it to the track. Would have been EASILY 120mph+

Crawlin
06-26-2009, 10:49 PM
There is no secret in why Aaron's car is as fast as it is. It is a combo that he started with from scratch. He knows what he is doing, and everything in his combo is a match.

I went 9.30's @ 150 3 years ago with a lot of bullshit parts and a YS trim! Maybe it is time for me to go all in? I wonder why my car isn't done yet?! :flipoff2:

I am done with this thread, because I am sick of internet racing. See you in true street, is your car almost done?

Nope, got rid of it to go back to school. Money better spent. $30g's a year, even with $8000/year scholarship and $5000/year grant, still leaves a hefty price tag.

Andy, no where was I trying to argue with you or poke fun or anything. Never once, so I apologize if it came across that way. I don't want this to turn into what has been in the past. Just arguing back and forth with no point.

My ONLY point about what was stated, was something you agreed with. That a car is SO fast because someone matched all the components together and knew what they were doing. 90% of the people around here(myself included, i got enough balls to admit it) just end up tossing things together without the smallest clue as to why someone else may have added that particular part to the vehicle. It happens all across the country time and time again. Aaron knows what parts and he goes to those that do know and follows some recommendations and maybe experiments with some ideas of his own and runs a number. Mark goes and tosses it on and then a bigger one and goes his own path and is learning for himself and has slowly progressed down the e.t. ladder compared to others. Two seperate approaches in trying to reach the same goal. Again, that's all the point was. Is that just because you see 5 actually modded LSx cars around here and they all end up mid 11's or whatever, doesn't mean that others out there aren't trying things out for themselves, and taking the time and initiative(like you guys are compared to other fox body guys around here) to squeak everything else out of their combos. Whether it be to try 5 different converters to find out which one is more efficient, or to spend 10 hours on the dyno getting the curve just perfect, to making 100 330' passes to ramp it all in as fast as the tires can hold.... There are guys that have the money and desire to do so.

Think about it... 5-10 years ago did ANYONE think it was possible to go 6's on a drag radial? Fuck no. But technology, equipment, power, and man's ultimate desire to go quicker, found a way to do it.

BOSS LX
06-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Nope, got rid of it to go back to school. Money better spent. $30g's a year, even with $8000/year scholarship and $5000/year grant, still leaves a hefty price tag.

Andy, no where was I trying to argue with you or poke fun or anything. Never once, so I apologize if it came across that way. I don't want this to turn into what has been in the past. Just arguing back and forth with no point.

My ONLY point about what was stated, was something you agreed with. That a car is SO fast because someone matched all the components together and knew what they were doing. 90% of the people around here(myself included, i got enough balls to admit it) just end up tossing things together without the smallest clue as to why someone else may have added that particular part to the vehicle. It happens all across the country time and time again. Aaron knows what parts and he goes to those that do know and follows some recommendations and maybe experiments with some ideas of his own and runs a number. Mark goes and tosses it on and then a bigger one and goes his own path and is learning for himself and has slowly progressed down the e.t. ladder compared to others. Two seperate approaches in trying to reach the same goal. Again, that's all the point was. Is that just because you see 5 actually modded LSx cars around here and they all end up mid 11's or whatever, doesn't mean that others out there aren't trying things out for themselves, and taking the time and initiative(like you guys are compared to other fox body guys around here) to squeak everything else out of their combos. Whether it be to try 5 different converters to find out which one is more efficient, or to spend 10 hours on the dyno getting the curve just perfect, to making 100 330' passes to ramp it all in as fast as the tires can hold.... There are guys that have the money and desire to do so.

Think about it... 5-10 years ago did ANYONE think it was possible to go 6's on a drag radial? Fuck no. But technology, equipment, power, and man's ultimate desire to go quicker, found a way to do it.

We were comparing LSX motors with just cams, while you compared two completely different combos.

I guarantee that I will live up to your expectations this year! :thumbsup

Crawlin
06-27-2009, 07:46 AM
I have no expectations of anyone. :) I luck out, cause I have to concentrate on 4 years of hard work now. Haven't even been to the track since April, and probably won't be till 2012 :)

I guess I just thought a TR224 cam'd, 4L60e w/ a 3500 stall'd, Mail order tuned Camaro WAS a different type combo then a LG5x3, TH400 w/ ATI 5500 stalled, 12 bolt w/ 4.30's at 2800lb raceweight :)

DoubleAron
06-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Well I know Andy has not gotten a full pass out of his car at all with the YSi, and his car is quite a bit heavier than Aarons. (Not to mention completely different heads, cam, induction, and trans-so not really a direct relation at all)
I'm just going to say Mark's combo was less than optimal ;) too, and he had a YS. Not to take anything away from Aaron at all, but there have been quite a few 8.40-8.60 passes out of the YSi, some faster even.
There are a lot more variables in the YSi cars to keep in mind than, talking about "cam only" motors of the exact same type and form.....

I don't believe it at all, but if you believe it, more power to ya. Its all good.

Thanks pal! Who knows how the heck I got mentioned in this one! I have never even made a full pass in my car! So Bobby ..........nevermind typing on this blackberry sucks and our computer is broke

FourEyedFord
06-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Aaron, to clarify my post, it wasn't meant to be a dig at you at all! Anyone that saw you run the 8.70 would know that you didn't make a full pass yet, you don't go 130mph to that ET. My goal in the post was to help some people see why you can't compare all the YSi cars together. There are too many variables in that equation. When talking about the LSX comparisons, the only variable was the cam and car.

Crawlin
06-28-2009, 12:05 PM
I made a wrong comparison Aaron, and was actually commenting positively on the quickness of your setup to get the point across that there are a ton of variables when comparing any type of setup.

Like always, hope you get some time to make some full passes! :)

juicedimpss
06-29-2009, 03:39 PM

sweet:thumbsup

FourEyedFord
06-29-2009, 04:22 PM
sweet:thumbsup

Are you still running the Malibu?

juicedimpss
06-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Are you still running the Malibu?

hopefully ill have enough money to race this one...
made a few changes,and haven been able to test the car.