PDA

View Full Version : Stone chips thanks to some worthless POS. How to fix?

DirtyMax
06-23-2009, 11:27 PM
So some asshat thought it would be funny to do donuts in the gravel parking lot at Slinger last weekend and royally fuck up the side of my truck (and our vintage modified show car). As a result, I have about 10-15 rock chips all down the side of my truck.

What's best way to repair these, short of having the whole side of my truck repainted because that's unreasonable? I'm certainly not wanting to turn this into an insurance issue either for fear of them getting their money back eventually anyways. I am thinking that I will need to keep filling in the craters with touch up paint until it's flush with the original paint.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance.

johnny--2k
06-23-2009, 11:46 PM
if youve got the guts, fill, let dry, repeat, repeat, and repeat until they are bubbled over the paint, then wetsand, buff, polish, and viola!

DirtyMax
06-24-2009, 07:33 AM
That's what I was afraid of. I'm not sure if I have the stones to wetsand on my truck.

GRNDNL
06-24-2009, 07:49 AM
What color is the truck?

xxsn0blindxx
06-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Don't be a Nancy, just use 1000 and 2000 grit and it will polish out no problem. I had to do this when a drunk hit the mirror on my parked car which left dozens of tiny pock marks from the shattered glass hitting the paint.

DirtyMax
06-24-2009, 08:08 AM
What color is the truck?

Black... which is the reason I don't want to be shadetree wetsanding on it....

DR.FORD
06-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Dude, half of my Thunderbird is touch-ups!! Take the paint code (all blacks are not pure black), and have a pint of single stage urethane mixed. Also purchase the correct catalyst (hardener) for the paint. Mix the catalyst with the paint as required (just enough for your touch ups or you will have a block of black!) and keep dabbing until they are higher than the original finish. Using a hard block, wetsand with 1500 until flush. You may want to chase over the whole side so you don't have smooth spots (factory peel) then buff with clearcoat compound. If you are unsure of the products to use call my shop at 414-483-8850 and I will give you the info on what we use.
Jim

PS if you use basecoat or single stage with no catalyst, you will NOT be happy with the outcome!

DirtyMax
06-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the tips. Regarding the paint... is that little bottle of color match touch up that you can get from the dealership not a viable option to use to build up the chip?

johnny--2k
06-24-2009, 10:58 AM
it is, but unless you clean the areas really well, chances are the spots you touch up will never look right and the paint could eventually just flake off and you are left with the same chip you started with.

My 2 cents, either live with it, or get it done right, there are places that will do major touchup work. It will cost you, but prob still cheaper than a repaint and your deductible....

DirtyMax
06-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks. I will weigh my options.

I'm not uber anal about my vehicle but it it something I want to look respectable. It makes it easier to stomach sending in that huge ass check every month. Because my truck is bigger (that or parking spots are too small, lol), I take extra care to park a mile away from everyone, hand wash or touchless only, and then this. Probably some retard with a POS car who has no idea what it's like to own something decent but wanted to do their best "Duke Boys" impression with no regard for their surroundings. :chair:

lordairgtar
06-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I feel the same way after some asshat egged my then new car and cracked the paint.