PDA

View Full Version : car A/C question

u_say_go
06-23-2009, 04:37 PM
2002 Ford Explorer A/C system, blowing cool but not cold. Anyone here work on air conditioning systems?
send pm

Holeshot
06-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Probably low on refrigerant/ small leak. You could throw a can of sealer in and add a pound if you wanted to take short cuts. Or you could do it the right way. Add dye find leaks evacuate / repair system suck it down to vacuum and charge accordingly. I have a few 12 oz cans of 134 or I could charge it for you. I have a set of manifolds 30 lb of 134a

URLOZIN
06-23-2009, 06:13 PM
A shop is gunna rape you. Take the time and go to either illinois or iowa and buy a recharge kit. it'll cost like 20-30 bucks max. I stock up on cans of the refrigerant every time I go to my parents house near iowa. You can't get it in Wisconsin. I have done it too many cars and the a/c works great every time.

Waver
06-23-2009, 07:44 PM
A shop is gunna rape you. Take the time and go to either illinois or iowa and buy a recharge kit. it'll cost like 20-30 bucks max. I stock up on cans of the refrigerant every time I go to my parents house near iowa. You can't get it in Wisconsin. I have done it too many cars and the a/c works great every time.

but then again if you are just recharging it, it will go back to the same problem......see holeshot dan, he will take care of you

Reverend Cooper
06-23-2009, 07:56 PM
put dye in it with the refrig. then get the car inspected at a shop with a black light to find the leak,that will be cheap,once the leak is found repair it. its prolly a condensor in that model

Sleeper Sierra
06-23-2009, 09:07 PM
pm sent

stenchmiester
06-23-2009, 10:05 PM
ford explorers seem to have problems with the blend doors also gettin stuck

Car Guy
06-23-2009, 11:06 PM
The first step should be pressurizing the system to check for leaks, if you don't find anything via that method THEN the dyed freon goes in. To get an accurate idea of where the system is leaking you will need to drive it until it leaks down again, then the black light goes a looking.....:)

ford explorers seem to have problems with the blend doors also gettin stuck

Many Fords do, which is NOT good because that can require the removal of the entire dash to get at......:rolleyes:

u_say_go
06-24-2009, 08:42 AM
all PMs returned

Holeshot
06-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Jason was nice to meet you this morning. Glad we got the temp down to 40 degrees. Personally i like to see snow out the vents but its not worth over charging / taxing the system. It looked in pretty good shape. No residue around any joints ....
Remember if you want me to hit it with the black light after you get back just yell. I don't think you will have any issues the rest of the summer. It only took 1.2 lbs. Yes I weigh my bottle.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
06-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Jason was nice to meet you this morning. Glad we got the temp down to 40 degrees. Personally i like to see snow out the vents but its not worth over charging / taxing the system. It looked in pretty good shape. No residue around any joints ....
Remember if you want me to hit it with the black light after you get back just yell. I don't think you will have any issues the rest of the summer. It only took 1.2 lbs. Yes I weigh my bottle.

This is why you sir are the man for parts and repairs

u_say_go
06-27-2009, 10:42 PM

thanks a million for helping me out, was nice meeting you as well! :thumbsup