PDA

View Full Version : Need work boot recommendation

brotherbenn83
06-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Anyone here work in a shoe/boot store? I am on my feet constantly, sometimes as much as 19 hours a day always on concrete floors. I have a problem with my left ankle...it was broken 2 years ago and rebuilt with a plate and multiple screws. It is giving me problems again, and removing the hardware is the solution. However, until I have several thousand dollars laying about to pay for a surgery like that I thought a new pair of boots might ease the suffering. Right now I have low-top CAT steel-toed work shoes, they were comfortable as hell for about 3 months and have been worsening since. Steel toes are not a requirement at my work, and someone else suggested I stop working them. I don't mind spending a bit of money on boots, but don't want another pair that will only last a year or less. I also have problems with pronation (I believe is the correct term) where an instep with more support is a better shoe/boot for me.

I'll STFU now, but if anyone has any experience with boots or works in a store that sells something nice...let me know where and when and I will bring you my business.

Thanks BCMers,
Ben

pOrk
06-21-2009, 04:38 PM
I wear Red Wings, was working 12 hour days on concrete all day until this recession hit, now I'm working 8s. Mine have lasted 2 years thus far and have atleast another 3 years left.

lordairgtar
06-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Red Wings FTW

Yooformula
06-21-2009, 04:51 PM
how about trying out some orthotics from good feet? they tailor make inserts and cushions for YOUR foot, might help out with the boots.

Korndogg
06-21-2009, 05:18 PM
I also have red wings. Also when they get worn down after a while I will put the inserts in them and that usually helps alot.

Plum Crazy
06-21-2009, 05:57 PM
i was gunna say CAT(because i wear them 10.5 hrs/day with no problem) but thats what you have.

Car Guy
06-21-2009, 05:58 PM
I know it says Caterpillar on the box but who really makes them...???

Plum Crazy
06-21-2009, 06:03 PM
I know it says Caterpillar on the box but who really makes them...???

IDK, i think they say made in America, id check but they are at work.

88Nightmare
06-21-2009, 06:08 PM
red wings for me. I've had the same pair of redwings for about 7 or 8 years now. They will need replacing soon, the sole is seperating from the rest of the boot near the toe, however I'm sure I could rig em up and glue em if I wanted another few years out of them. Spend the money on red wings, its worth it. And if you work on your feet, good boots are definitely not something you want to cheap out on

lasttimearound
06-21-2009, 06:14 PM
i wear timberland power welt's a lot when im working in the garage and away from work. at work we were issued bates and belleville (gotta love the air force uniform policy). both are pretty comfortable as well.

turbogarrett
06-21-2009, 07:49 PM
I like the timberland's, tried the red wing's before and although they will last forever, didn't think they were very comfortable.

tommyt5078
06-21-2009, 08:11 PM
If you work inside they make mates with pads in them, if so maybe work might buy one?

I've seen them on the floors at Walmart for cashier.

Sprayaway Fox
06-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Timbs but Redwings are the sheeaat!

Russ Jerome
06-21-2009, 08:40 PM
I've been wanting to check out that work shoe store in the silvernail mall off 94 and T, may have a good selection?

I'm up and down semi trucks on concrete all day so I alternate
shoes every day or my feet KILL me. Going from a Wolverine to
a Cat shoe and somedays some other brand help me make it thru the week.

Car Guy
06-21-2009, 08:45 PM
I have had 4 or 5 pairs of the Redwing 'muscle shoes' and every pair has been completely worn out after a year of everyday use. Two of the pairs were replaced under warranty because it was less than a year and the sides and/or soles were coming apart. I had a different 'model' of Redwings once and they seemed to last longer but definitely not longer than 2-3 years.....:confused

modmachz
06-21-2009, 08:45 PM
When I was on my feet 12 hrs a day building engines,, The best shoe I ever wore was a mail carriers shoe from farm and barn.. very lite very very comfortable...

brotherbenn83
06-21-2009, 08:53 PM
If you work inside they make mates with pads in them, if so maybe work might buy one?

I've seen them on the floors at Walmart for cashier.

I fix cars, so moving a mat around all day would be counter-productive.

brotherbenn83
06-21-2009, 08:55 PM
I've been wanting to check out that work shoe store in the silvernail mall off 94 and T, may have a good selection?

I'm up and down semi trucks on concrete all day so I alternate
shoes every day or my feet KILL me. Going from a Wolverine to
a Cat shoe and somedays some other brand help me make it thru the week.

That's where I got my Cats from, like I said...they WERE very comfortable. But $90 for shoes that only last 7 months is too much. I'd rather pay $150 for something that will last.

Thanks guys, keep the recommendations coming. Anyone in here actually work at a shoe store? I seem to remember reading some pretty decent info about running shoes from someone on here a few months back....

1320PNY
06-21-2009, 09:07 PM
What size are you?

I have Timberland Pros and these are my second pair. I bought the second pair with a taller ankle to walk through 8" of swill with no issues.

The boot is waterproof and has a titanium toe. It breathes well in terms of warm in Winter and not too hot in Summer. The soles are good for oil and great in snow. I put a set of carbon fiber arch supports in them and used them on a job site, 38 hours walking around, no real issues.

I would recommend these to anybody. Last Christmas I bought a pair for all the men in the family. I spent a bunch of money, but it's not often that you get a thanks, five times from your Father-In-Law for a gift.

-stew-
06-21-2009, 10:12 PM
I have a pair Red Wing King Toes for just every day wearing and I wear them when I ride. It's an eight inch boot with a composite safety toe that is has more room in the toe (hence the name.) Even with the added room in the toe I have no issue getting it under the shifter on my bike. Very comfortable, and well insulated; almost too well insulated to be a summer boot. ~$150 at Stan's on Layton. Stan's offers a 15% discount for employees of my employer, if you ask they might give you a break on the price.

My work boots are Caterpillar "Indiana's" with some Dr. Scholls gellin like magelin cushion inserts. An eight inch steel toe. It feels like I'm wearing tennis shoes even after 12 hours on concrete. I will be getting another pair of these this fall to be my everyday boots and my Red Wings will be going to work so I can alternate boots everyday. Often times in winter I don't get enough time out of them for my boots to dry.

Irish
06-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Dr Marten's here!

Rocket Power
06-22-2009, 10:28 AM
I and most of the guys I work with have been wearing timberland titan pros. We have to have safety toes, but these are light for a boot and comfortable right off the bat. I had red wings one and didn't like them, took a while to get comfortable and the toe wore out quicker that others I had.

We buy our boots at Rogans because they have the buy one get one 1/2 off sale all the time. :thumbsup

07ROUSHSTG3
06-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Dr Marten's here!

yeah, me too. if i couldn't get docs i would go with Red Wings though.

hrsp
06-22-2009, 01:23 PM
tmberlands here as well...

Anakonda69
06-22-2009, 03:46 PM
my brother just got some timberlands and loves them. i myself have had good luck with red wings. i have foot issues too and now wear steel toe shoes instead of boots but i do wear steel toe boots when i work on stuff at home and i use red wings for that.

Jsho13
06-22-2009, 06:14 PM
carharts. I just bought another pair for a back up but have had my original pair for over a year. Still the most comfortable boot I have ever had and holding up very well. A little pricey but well worth it.
http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=105892&langId=-1&categoryId=18712

fleet farm has them for $139