PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmith/firearm guru's/ shooters enter here..

That_Guy
06-19-2009, 10:44 PM
I need some suggestions on a paint that I can paint my next sks project with. I'm looking to do something just like the picture below. I've been building a few sks's up and then selling them to friends and family members well I kinda want to do something a little different this time for my self. I've been told to use dura coat but I'm wondering if there is something I can just buy for fleetfarm or advance auto that I can paint both plasic and metal.

any suggestions welcome. ive already got a truglo 40mm reddot for the front rail.. and a few other extra's. im also looking for a smith to thread a muzzle break on it.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/CRashster5150/IMG_5132.jpg

Russ Jerome
06-20-2009, 09:20 AM
The stuff in this image I got from Fleet farm or something, holds up fine to solvent and tree limbs. Honestly if it was flaked or chipped you probably wouldnt even notice.
http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/Home/finishedCamo.JPG
Im thinking of doing my old pickup truck before hunting season with some generic $1.99 discount stuff this fall.

Rocket Power
06-20-2009, 11:50 AM
My suggestion is to watch 922r;)

TheRX7Project
06-20-2009, 12:48 PM
That rustoleum stuff is available at Wally world. That's where I got my cans from... which are still unopened for some reason.

That_Guy
06-20-2009, 03:55 PM
My suggestion is to watch 922r;)

i would think everything im doing would be within the law.. i dont plan on cutting down the barrel as that fella did. majority of the parts in the rifle now are American made.

what in particular are you trying to hint that would an issue?

Rocket Power
06-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Just if you start adding stuff like detchable mags and stock, you then have to make sure you have no more than 10 imported parts off the list. Some people don't know about it or don't care. Not worth the trouble with the atf. just want to make sure you knew about it.
http://www.tapco.com/section922r.aspx

ASSEMBLY OF NON-SPORTING SHOTGUNS AND SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLES FROM IMPORTED PARTS

Disclaimer: This is an attempt to interpret this law. Information taken from this context should not be considered permission to manufacture semiautomatic rifles.

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.
(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:

(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the provisions of Sec. 178.151; or

(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the replacement of any part of such firearm.

(c) For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Butt stocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, hand guards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floor plates

[T.D. ATF-346, 58 FR 40589, July 29, 1993]

EFFECT ON STATE LAW
Expiration of the Federal law will not change any provisions of State law or local ordinances. Questions concerning State assault weapons restrictions should be referred to State and local authorities.

U.S. Department of Justice
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives

Russ Jerome
06-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Whats there reasoning behind the imported parts limitation?

Rocket Power
06-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Don't remember. It's stupid, it just makes you have to replace perfectly functioning parts with others . But it's not worth getting in trouble over.

That_Guy
06-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Don't remember. It's stupid, it just makes you have to replace perfectly functioning parts with others . But it's not worth getting in trouble over.

i believe its just to insure that the rifle isnt going to be full auto... ? idk.. id doesnt matter i replaced it with the t6 compliant kit. so i believe im in the clear