PDA

View Full Version : So why do some people hate iPhones so much?

davidrab
06-19-2009, 10:18 AM
I was thinking about getting one of the new iPhones today and during some
online research I see that some people REALLY hate the iPhone. From the
comments, my guess is that most of these people don't even have one.

I've read some older threads on here about people having them and I had an
iPod touch and thought it was pretty cool. So is the hate just internet crap or
am I missing something? Do you people who have them like it? Or more
importantly, is there anything you don't like.

Dave

Myles
06-19-2009, 10:20 AM
It's apple. That's all you need to know to hate it.

domokun
06-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Ive had mine sinec the first release..

for what my lifestyle is like...I enjoy the phone.

being connected to anything I want.....

PureSound15
06-19-2009, 10:36 AM
^^^(myles) Has never owned an Iphone.

I like it. I'm a gadget guy so I like all of the apps.

I do wish it had a keyboard, though.

Deggy
06-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Fellow iPhone owner, I will be getting the newest one sometime next week I hope.

H8RADE
06-19-2009, 10:39 AM
iPhone = win
Battery life = fail

Myles
06-19-2009, 10:40 AM

That would be correct, but if you think i know nothing of whats its capable of and not capable of you are mistaken. I have played with several now and the fact that they are cool and have some neat features, what it lacks and what other smart phones have (nokia and blackberry) i cant justify the price of a toy when i get alot more for less with other phones.

On top of a network that I am not a fan of sealed the deal as well.

davidrab
06-19-2009, 10:42 AM

I'm a gadget guy too. I really want it for the internet access when I'm on the
road. Didn't much like my WinMo phone for that and, with the exception of the
special apps, I don't like my BB for the internet.

What I did like about my WinMo phone was developing apps. I hope to start
that if I get an iPhone (I may even have to do something for work).

PureSound15
06-19-2009, 10:42 AM
That would be correct, but if you think i know nothing of whats its capable of and not capable of you are mistaken. I have played with several now and the fact that they are cool and have some neat features, what it lacks and what other smart phones have (nokia and blackberry) i cant justify the price of a toy when i get alot more for less with other phones.

That post made WAY more sense than "it's apple"

I have a windows mobile phone for work that I'd like to set on fire and throw into gasoline vapor chamber. It's that bad.

I had a Blackberry before this phone and it was awesome for email... but sucked for everything else including financial software for work.

The iphone satisfies both needs for me. I like all of the quirky bullshit aps that don't actually help you in life - but it is nice to know how far I am from the pin on the 4th hole at a course I've never played before.

Myles
06-19-2009, 10:46 AM
That post made WAY more sense than "it's apple"

I have a windows mobile phone for work that I'd like to set on fire and throw into gasoline vapor chamber. It's that bad.

I had a Blackberry before this phone and it was awesome for email... but sucked for everything else including financial software for work.

The iphone satisfies both needs for me. I like all of the quirky bullshit aps that don't actually help you in life - but it is nice to know how far I am from the pin on the 4th hole at a course I've never played before.

THe post i made before and the post i made after are the same. Its apple. Has strong points and bad points. And you can get more done with other systems for less. That is the whole of apple. Apple is nothing but trends and fads. In the beginning they do something great, then ride that horse till its dead and gone.

Now I may sound mean right now but my intention isnt to slam you. I have had blackerries for awhile, and know some stuff about the nokias. You can find the same useless apps for both, as well as just as powerful (if not more in most cases) business apps. Just cause they don't have a pretty gui or make cute sounds people think they are less.

davidrab
06-19-2009, 10:47 AM

I REALLY wish an iPhone of some sort would come out for Verizon but I'm
reading not until LTE is taking over sometime late next year, 2011.

I do like the email features of the BB, but I may keep that one for work
anyway. I do hesitate about it being just a toy also. $70 a month minimum is
pretty pricey, but I do waste money all the time :crying

Moparjim
06-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Price = high compared to other smart phones that have 90% of the same functionality
Network = by some opinions crappy, by most certainly not the best
Battery life = short
Speed = slow
MMS messaging = absent I believe still on the original

The new iPhone is largely being advertised as fixing many of those negatives - it is supposed to be much faster, do MMS, etc. The original iPhone is dropping down to $99 (which is still more expensive than I could get a Blackberry Storm, Motorola Q or a shit ton of other phones for - I recently could get 2 Storms for $149...)

Myles
06-19-2009, 10:49 AM
I REALLY wish an iPhone of some sort would come out for Verizon but I'm
reading not until LTE is taking over sometime late next year, 2011.

I do like the email features of the BB, but I may keep that one for work
anyway. I do hesitate about it being just a toy also. $70 a month minimum is
pretty pricey, but I do waste money all the time :crying

Get a jailbreak iPhone and you SHOULD be able to put it on another carrier (iPhone guys might have to correct me).

Alot of my opinoins are very strong and negative towards the iPhone. I for some reason get very angry whenever someone mentions an apple product.

Myles
06-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Price = high compared to other smart phones that have 90% of the same functionality
Network = by some opinions crappy, by most certainly not the best
Battery life = short
Speed = slow

The new iPhone is largely being advertised as fixing many of those negatives - it is supposed to be much faster. The original iPhone is dropping down to $99 (which is still more expensive than I could get a Blackberry Storm, Motorola Q or a shit ton of other phones for - I recently could get 2 Storms for $149...)

The storm has had many issues that got bad press. The storm 2 that is comming out fixes the issues, but if it carries the same name it will probably carry that bad press.

The iPhone does have a very lacking proc compared to the other smartphones on the Market. And I'm told that the new one is VERY fast. But i would like to see it compared against the top line (proc wise) Nokia or BlackBerry.

07ROUSHSTG3
06-19-2009, 10:54 AM
i just wish i could get one with US Cellular. not much AT&T coverage up here.

Dr.Buick
06-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Myles just hates anything that has apple tied to it.:rolf:rolf

shoooo32
06-19-2009, 11:16 AM
I buy the new one every year and give the old one to the wife. I'm not a huge apple/itunes fan however the phone is great. Very user friendly and the apps are amazing. (If your a baseball fan, MLB at bat lets you stream games right to your phone- for $10 a year) As far as being locked to AT&T, I pay my $125 a month for 2 phones and haven't had much to bitch about besides 3G coverage area.

wrath
06-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Somehow all the douchebags at my work managed to con my work into buying them an idiotPhone to replace/instead of their crackberry.

The only people I see with iPhones are people trying to make an image for themselves so they don't seem "common" or "poor" like the rest of us, people with way too much money, or a kid who has pictures of their parents screwing other people.

I've used one and they're not too bad but there are some severe shortcomings due to trying hard for "elegance". I'd rather have a crackberry if I were forced to carry such a ball and chain.

WhatsADSM
06-19-2009, 11:27 AM
People hate them mostly for the same reasons that people hate Windows. It's silly.

If you are looking for a data enabled phone for business likely a high-end WinMo phone is what you are looking for. It has the most flexability, and sheer power to do what you want it to.

For the vast majority of regular every day people the iPhone is the best bet. Best internet browsing, millions of apps, decent email, good texting, good sync capabilities, best mp3 player, 3.0 DOES support MMS (although AT&T wont support it until later summer), and soon it will have turn-by-turn GPS. IMO biggest issue is the soft keyboard.

Crawlin
06-19-2009, 12:16 PM
I have a Razor... been dropped/thrown/spilled on/etc...

still working, haha. still on original battery too

fuck that internet shit on the phone. how often do we need the internet that we aren't right near a computer anyways.

WhatsADSM
06-19-2009, 12:30 PM
fuck that internet shit on the phone. how often do we need the internet that we aren't right near a computer anyways.

Ultimately it boils down to what type of person you are.

My wife is a lot like you. She just wants a phone that places calls well, has a decent camera and is reliable.

I am the total opposite, I like to have information at my finger tips 24/7. I use the data plan every damn day. Can't even begin tell you how much I use that thing. On the road all the time and want to know where to get XX, or whats the closest YY. Talking to a friend about some YouTube video while getting beers or something. In the basement while commercials come on, I can quick check scores to a game or check various forums or whatever. Honestly what is weird about data enabled phones is that if you don't have one typically it doesn't bother you much. Then once you get one you start using it a lot it's REALLY hard to go back to a phone without a data plan.

88Nightmare
06-19-2009, 12:50 PM
I have a Palm Treo smartphone. I love it. Not a fan of the iphone.

Here is someone else who is not a fan of the iphone:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

88Nightmare
06-19-2009, 02:32 PM
I love lamp

MoCkiN U
06-19-2009, 02:34 PM
I have not used a iphone but I have used an itouch. I do really like the screen and navigation that part is absolutely tits!! Im a fan for sure. I did go to a party recently with 10 employees from att. 7 of them had iphones and 2 had bolds. I had my storm there. We were at a party in vernon hills, IL and the 2 bolds had service the whole time with att and my storm was perfect also. The iphones didnt have service or media at all. 9 att phones there so it wasnt their network but none of the iphones in each generation and a couple flashed with beta software.

For that reason I wouldnt own one on the att network but if sprint or vzw carried it I would get one. I do wish they would address battery issue or even make an extended battery available to the consumer but you cant even get to it. Having replacements in your local att store would help also, the nearest apple store is a long way from me. Either mayfair or schaumburg and thats a haul.

There are rumors of other carriers linking and testing a iphone similar device but at the moment all of those devices are simply wifi for voice. once that proprietary relationship expires they cant make a p0hone that connects to their wireless network so most talk is that device will do phone calls thru wifi....DUMB??? YEAH but thats what the rumors are.

davidrab
06-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Somehow all the douchebags at my work managed to con my work into buying them an idiotPhone to replace/instead of their crackberry.

The only people I see with iPhones are people trying to make an image for themselves so they don't seem "common" or "poor" like the rest of us, people with way too much money, or a kid who has pictures of their parents screwing other people.

I've used one and they're not too bad but there are some severe shortcomings due to trying hard for "elegance". I'd rather have a crackberry if I were forced to carry such a ball and chain.

I'd have a BMW and a iPhone, what would people think of me:)

Yea, I would agree if I was at home, but being on the road a lot, I find myself
trying to use the internet on a phone a good bit.

johnny--2k
06-19-2009, 03:02 PM
I just got my Palm Pre. Personally, think it kicks the iphones butt, just no apps out yet for it as it's still very very new. It's WEB OS based, and open-sourced so there will be plenty of stuff to come in the near future.

Not to mention that AT&T's plans are outrageously priced...

97z2801ss
06-19-2009, 04:15 PM
I love my iphone. The only thing I dont like you cant send picture message. as far as battery life I charge it at night and im on it all day and it lasts all day so i have never had a problem.

I have had a crackberry and their nice phones aswell.

BTW- the razor sucked, my sister and I went threw a total of 17 of them together before they just gave us new phones @ USCell

Deggy
06-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Doesn't the new iPhone software released today fix the MMS lacking of the iPhone?

PureSound15
06-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Doesn't the new iPhone software released today fix the MMS lacking of the iPhone?

Sure does.

Deggy
06-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Sure does.

Just got home, and am downloading the new OS software as we speak. :)

Korndogg
06-19-2009, 06:17 PM
lol im going to post every time I update my phone's OS. oh wait. that would be twice a week. nvm

Deggy
06-19-2009, 06:27 PM
lol im going to post every time I update my phone's OS. oh wait. that would be twice a week. nvm

What phone do you have?

Korndogg
06-19-2009, 06:28 PM
storm

wrath
06-19-2009, 06:30 PM
I'd have a BMW and a iPhone, what would people think of me:)

It depends on if it's a 325 or a 645. :)

Deggy
06-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Ryan-

So I got the new OS software, I see that the Text Message icon no longer has an SMS icon in the middle of it. But now I can't seem to figure out how to send a picture message. Am I missing something, or does someone have to send you a picture message first?

I am impressed with the new OS otherwise, I love that the keyboard can now be flipped horizonally for texting. One thing the iPhone has lacked other than MMS.

Deggy
06-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Ultimately it boils down to what type of person you are.

My wife is a lot like you. She just wants a phone that places calls well, has a decent camera and is reliable.

I am the total opposite, I like to have information at my finger tips 24/7. I use the data plan every damn day. Can't even begin tell you how much I use that thing. On the road all the time and want to know where to get XX, or whats the closest YY. Talking to a friend about some YouTube video while getting beers or something. In the basement while commercials come on, I can quick check scores to a game or check various forums or whatever. Honestly what is weird about data enabled phones is that if you don't have one typically it doesn't bother you much. Then once you get one you start using it a lot it's REALLY hard to go back to a phone without a data plan.

Murray, I am just like you about phones. I love being able to access damn near anything, anywhere. I love googling info on random conversations and proving people wrong. Google has helped me prove my point in many arguments with friends or family, or even just given all of us a good laugh. I used to be the guy who didn't even text message, then I bought the iPhone and all has changed drastically. :banana

PureSound15
06-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Ryan-

So I got the new OS software, I see that the Text Message icon no longer has an SMS icon in the middle of it. But now I can't seem to figure out how to send a picture message. Am I missing something, or does someone have to send you a picture message first?

I am impressed with the new OS otherwise, I love that the keyboard can now be flipped horizonally for texting. One thing the iPhone has lacked other than MMS.

I am under the impression that SMS messaging will not work for a couple weeks yet.

Deggy
06-19-2009, 07:32 PM
I am under the impression that SMS messaging will not work for a couple weeks yet.

SMS or MMS?

My SMS seems to be working fine.

PureSound15
06-19-2009, 07:34 PM
SMS or MMS?

My SMS seems to be working fine.

I'm sorry - MMS

Deggy
06-19-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm sorry - MMS

I thought that's what you were meaning to say.

WhatsADSM
06-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Ryan-

Yea I agree the 3.0 OS Update for the phone is great! Horizontal texting was a huge one, and also you can now Copy/Cute/Paste which is a huge :thumbsup

I personally can't wait for the big dogs (Tom Tom, Garmin, etc.) to release their software for use on the iPhone now that 3.0 is out. Turn-by-turn will totally seal the deal for me in terms of the iPhone's all-around usefulness.

Deggy
06-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Yea I agree the 3.0 OS Update for the phone is great! Horizontal texting was a huge one, and also you can now Copy/Cute/Paste which is a huge :thumbsup

I personally can't wait for the big dogs (Tom Tom, Garmin, etc.) to release their software for use on the iPhone now that 3.0 is out. Turn-by-turn will totally seal the deal for me in terms of the iPhone's all-around usefulness.

I never would of known about the Copy/Paste option now. Thanks Dude! :thumbsup

turbogarrett
06-19-2009, 10:32 PM
I like my iphone except for the lack of picture messaging and the phone volume could go a little higher. AT&T service coverage has been better than verizon and us cellular at least where I use it.

cyclone70
06-19-2009, 11:15 PM
I have 3.0and have yet to figure picture texting either

Deggy
06-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Check a few posts back. Me and PureSound15(Ryan) cleared up that picture messaging will be available in a few weeks. I think I heard as early as next week.

turbogarrett
06-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Anybody know how to get a roadrunner email account to work with one? Tired of having to log in.

Deggy
06-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Anybody know how to get a roadrunner email account to work with one? Tired of having to log in.

What happens when you try to set up the account in the email icon?

I know there is a list like Gmail, Yahoo, MSN, ect. But isn't their an icon to click that says "other email"? Try that, I could be wrong, I'm too lazy right now to go grab my phone off the charger and check. :goof

97z2801ss
06-20-2009, 04:28 PM
sweet pic messaging next week, i just did the update being able to delete one or two txts instead of the whole damn thing will keep me out of sometrouble haha

GTSLOW
06-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Iphone = for chicks :goof

Goat Roper
06-20-2009, 07:11 PM
My iPhone has been nothing but rock solid good. Short of carrying around a laptop what else can I use that will instant message, make calls, surf the web, login to my work, RDP into Windows boxes, SSH into Unix boxes, FTP files, take pictures of people's parent's screwing, watch live MLB games, give GPS directions (and soon turn-by-turn) and a slew of other things I use my phone for on a daily basis.

Sure they are not cheap. Sure the plans are a bit more than usual but good god, what the hell else can compete with it?

Deggy
06-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Iphone = for chicks :goof

Explain please.