PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever have a shipping price problem on eBay?

davidrab
06-19-2009, 10:11 AM
This is why I usually don't buy anything of any significance on eBay, but I broke
my rule.

I won an auction for some telco rack stuff on eBay last Friday and paid for
it immediately. The auction had a fixed shipping of $49. I got an email Monday
from the seller saying they made a mistake on the shipping and it will be more.
I responded with "OK, I'll work with you, what do you think it will be". Now I
knew $49 was too cheap and because I got a good price on the stuff, I'm
willing to work with them.

After some emailing back and forth with me asking for an estimate, she said
a few hundred dollars. When I said that's OK, she responded with I'll just send
you the receipt (like that can't be photoshopped:rolleyes:) and she expected
the difference. I said OK, but I won't be blindsided with a huge charge. She
then came back and it might $600-$700! I called BS. It really sits right there.

So, anybody ever have this issue? I really want the stuff because it's a good
price, but I can't imagine it's that much to ship. If I get eBay involved,
my guess is that she won't ship the stuff and I'll get my money refunded. The
worst she'll get is one bad feedback:fire

I put numbers into UPS and FedEx and nothing comes out that expensive. I
really think she/they are just trying to get more money because the auction
went for so cheap. I even sent her an email asking if I can pick the stuff up.
I figure Columbus, OH is only about 7 hours, but it just pisses me off!

Dave

Moparjim
06-19-2009, 10:51 AM
I have never had that problem. It should be easy to resolve though since it sounds like you have checked UPS, etc. Just send the person that information and instruct them to ship it that method and price.

PonyKiller87
06-19-2009, 10:52 AM
If its close enough just go pick it up.

I've had issues selling stuff on ebay recently. I put all the weight and dimensions into the auction so that it could auto calculate shipping for people based on thier zip codes. Everyone one of them was off by about 20% which I ended up eating on several items. Almost made it not worth selling the stuff.

wrath
06-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Normal eBay bullshit. She doesn't want to sell it to you because she'd rather relist it and try to get more money.

If she becomes a PITA about it, just report her for trying to sell you product outside of eBay... that'll cause her great pains.

davidrab
06-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Normal eBay bullshit. She doesn't want to sell it to you because she'd rather relist it and try to get more money.

If she becomes a PITA about it, just report her for trying to sell you product outside of eBay... that'll cause her great pains.

Yea, sound like it.

What I REALLY am leaning towards is asking for the shipping back, making
the 14 hour round trip to Columbus, and getting my $2000 worth of stuff (list) for $150.

I'll report her no matter what (I'm being nice now to see what happens), but
she probably won't really care. I hope eBay would not let her relist it.

88Nightmare
06-19-2009, 01:00 PM
far better deal then paying $700 for shipping.

PonyKiller87
06-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah just make sure you talk to her in advance so she doesn't pull some stuff on you and when you get there shes not available.

If your going that way you might as well make a trip out of it, swing over and hit summit, lol.

WickedSix
06-19-2009, 02:58 PM
heh I drove through there a few weekends ago making a round trip to pickup some parts I bought on eBay. Personally (having worked in a shipping department) I'd ask her to pack it up give you the dimensions and weights and you will arrange shipping. You can send UPS or FEDEX with a pickup and ship ticket :thumbsup...then you know precisely how much shipping costs :D

what exactly is being shipped? it would have to be somewhat hazardous, HUGE, or VERY heavy to cost 700 in shipping.

davidrab
06-19-2009, 03:16 PM
heh I drove through there a few weekends ago making a round trip to pickup some parts I bought on eBay. Personally (having worked in a shipping department) I'd ask her to pack it up give you the dimensions and weights and you will arrange shipping. You can send UPS or FEDEX with a pickup and ship ticket :thumbsup...then you know precisely how much shipping costs :D

what exactly is being shipped? it would have to be somewhat hazardous, HUGE, or VERY heavy to cost 700 in shipping.

I thought about trying to arrange things up front with UPS or FedEx and
doing it that way. I'll have to look more into that.

It's two, 2 post relay racks, 30 shelves, and some wire management stuff.
She didn't seem to worried about the shelves (they are about 20"x16"x3"
and 5lbs), but did seem to worry about the racks (84"x18"x6" and 80lbs
if shipped together). I checked and the racks would be $100 if shipped
together and the shelves would be about $8 a piece if they are all shipped
separate. So MAX I can see is $350.

Talked to my brother and his tranny was $150 from California.

Yeah just make sure you talk to her in advance so she doesn't pull some stuff on you and when you get there shes not available.

If your going that way you might as well make a trip out of it, swing over and hit summit, lol.

Yea, I worry about that. I wouldn't doubt that something like that could happen.

I was thinking about making a trip out of it. For sure I stop at the Air Force
museum in Dayton.

Crawlin
06-19-2009, 04:10 PM
My guy volunteered to send shipping back to me since we lived so close for a small part.

Sucks that this lady is being hard to deal with!

Chris

davidrab
06-19-2009, 04:19 PM
My guy volunteered to send shipping back to me since we lived so close for a small part.

Sucks that this lady is being hard to deal with!

Chris

Yea and I don't get the feeling that it's her personal stuff but is a company
that has this stuff left over. Maybe it'll mean losing her job or something. A mistake
was made. I wish she would just meet me half way on an actual shipping price (which I'm
open to, I would even cover it all if it's $250-$350 like I think).

Yooformula
06-19-2009, 04:35 PM
I would either report her like previously mentioned OR take the drive out there if you have the time and save the money. Plus you can make sure in person that the items are fine and dont end up "missing" anything if she does end up shipping it.

BoosTT
06-19-2009, 05:06 PM
uship.com this website rules.