PDA

View Full Version : Lens repair / filter stuck on

wikked
06-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Anyone know a shop who repairs lenses?

Somehow my camera rolled off my trunk and landed nearly lens down on the cement :(
Luckily I had a filter on, but there is a small 1/2" dent on the filter edge, pushing into the lens threads, and I cannot get it off.

The glass also shattered on the filter, I removed the broken glass, and luckily the lens itself looks fine, but there is some tiny fragments/glass dust behind the lens glass itself :(

I tried wrapping rubber around it and twisting, like a oil filter wrench, but it won't budge.

I don't want to try anything else at this point, and possibly damage it further.

Thanks.

(if it matters, Canon 350D / Tamron lens)

TransAm12sec
06-19-2009, 01:02 AM
Call Mike Crivello, he may be able to help you out. (414) 332-1550

Nick
06-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Use a needle nose and get it off. Or a small vice grip to grab the broken filter and twist off.

wikked
06-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Use a needle nose and get it off. Or a small vice grip to grab the broken filter and twist off.

I wish it was that easy, I tried that as well, no go.
It's like the threads of the filter are mushed together with the lens threads in that one spot, it's not moving.

Nick
06-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Its like a crimp press where you cant back threads out. You can get it off, just try harder.

jbiscuit
06-19-2009, 12:56 PM
I would think that any sort of imapct to a lens will result in it being damaged. We had a D200 with a lens drop 2 feet from a box onto the floor and it wrecked the lens and the body needed some repairs

domokun
06-19-2009, 02:30 PM
didnt you just get that tamron lens?

Goat Roper
06-19-2009, 03:45 PM
And this is why we keep clear filters on our good lenses!

Yes, as stated, if you are stuck call Crivello's. If you speak to Jeff tell Scott Sweeney sent you.

wikked
06-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Yea Domo, just got it last week, and yea that filter saved my ass for sure.

I did end up going to Crivello's (before I saw your post Scott), and after about 10mins one of the guys just ended up cutting it off with a snips. Can't believe I didn't think of that. It just slid right off after that.
No charge!

Amazingly, the threads on the lens were still in perfect condition!
I bought a new filter from them, even though I know they're more than what I could get one for online... I owed them that at least.

I still have some glass dust/tiny fragments behind the lens glass, but I can't see any sign of them in the pictures I took afterwards.
Everything still works as perfectly as it did before the drop. *whew*

Never dropped the thing in over 4yrs (never use a strap), and it happens to roll off a flat surface... ay yi yi.

I don't know who it was at Crivello's that fixed it, tall guy, blonde hair, had a vest on with a bunch of pins & patches, looked like a repair guy and not a counter guy.
:thumbsup to him.

Goat Roper
06-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Good to hear. Like I always say, you might pay a bit more, as compared to online, but their service is outstanding.