PDA

View Full Version : Had Lasik this morning...

Prince Valiant
06-18-2009, 06:33 PM
First, all I can say is WOW! I can see so much better at this point! I can read license plates from down the street...it's amazing!

Okay, now the details:

Process: I checked out several places and was comfortable that most all had the latest technology...and offered means to keep you comfortable in the end.

In the end, I wound up at the Lasik vision institute due to price.

First appt: Go in, they do a large variety of test and screening. They check your current prescription both via lens and by eye exam. They scan your eyes, take various measurements, etc. They do dilate the pupils, so reading was hard that day, and of course, you're sensitive to light.

They then come in and offer the array of services the offer, from PRK, to traditional lasik, to custom...with each having different prices. I chose custom lasik.

Then the scheduling...I was able to get in a little over a week later.

They offered enhancements like tear duct plugs to help keep the eyes moist and reduce pain, protection plans, etc. I at first chose a 1 yr plan, then went to lifetime (only 100/eye more than the 1 yr).

Surgery: They start with the right eye. They beging with numbing drops and then prepar your eyes.

First, they tape the lashes back. Then the put a spring loaded clapm on the lids to keep you from blinking. Then they put a device on that feels like it's sucking on your eyeball to help reduce motion. After that couple minutes it takes to do that, they then touch your eyeball asking if you felt it...much like a dentist asking if you're numb yet.

Of course, by that point you ARE numb, so the surgeon proceeds. He'll say, "okay...it's going to go dark", and for 10 seconds or so, it is. Literally, everything fades out, and you might see colored speckles...and then it comes back just as he says it will. Whne it returns, it's a little hazzy.

Of course, your encouraged to zone out, looking at a flashing light the whole time. The surgeon said, "okay, thumping sounds followd by bug zapping!" which is much what it was. The wierdest thing is you see what appears to be lighting during the zapping...and at the end, you catch a whiff of what smells like burnt hair.

Then the surgeon puts the flap back with what looks like a tiny brush, gives you a bunch of different eye drops, and onto the next eye.

If you're done and selected it, they'll give you tear duct block to help keep your eyes moist and duce discomfort afterward.

Post-op: They take you to a dark room for about a half hour or so, while the surgeon works on the next case...when he's done, he comes in and checks to make sure the faps are in place and sends you off.

I brought some benedryl and the sleep med from tylenol PM and took it as I rode home (buddy took me there and back). They encourage your to sleep as much as possible, so as to keep the eye moist and speed healing of the flap. I crashed for about 5 hours or so.

No intense cardio workouts for a week, no swimming/hot tub for 2-4 weeks. No rubbing the eye for 2-4 weeks. I'll continue to use anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial eye drops for a week...and eye moistening drops for as long as I feel I need it.

You leave wearing eye shields taped to your head and sunglasses. It's recommended to sleep with the shields on for two weeks.

Cost: The place adv. as low as 299/eye...but that's is bare bones minimum, traditional lasik, no coverage, meds, etc, and with all their incentives thrown in at once.

Custom comes in a bit more, but they immediately knock off 600/eye. You could probably go as cheap as 999/eye here (maybe lower?)...but with the lifetime plan plus eye plugs, mine came to 1399/eye ...or 2798 total. You pay 100 deposit, and the balance on surgery day.

If you finance any of it, they'll want 600 dollars on surgery day regardless...and then a year no interest on the balance afterward. I paid the balance, no needing financing.

As far as I can tell, other places would have me pay 400-1000 more for essentially the same tech. Though there are some newer ones with bladeless/laser cutting tech, which was a consideration for me, as I hate the thought of something touching my eyes.

So far so good...been keeping up with the eye drops, sleeping as needed. I'm fairly comfortable at this point.

And the biggest thing is the freedom from glasses! :thumbsup

Beagle
06-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Nice post. Never really talked to anyone who has had this done. I was thinking about doing this but people say that at night everything is hazed up. Definitely dont want that.

Goat Roper
06-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Congrats man, hope to do this someday

Yooformula
06-18-2009, 07:37 PM
congrats Chris. so you did have the bladeless procedure correct?

Holeshot
06-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Cool. My wife had cataract surgery and now she can count the hairs on a flies back. Its amazing the fine print she can read.

Plum Crazy
06-18-2009, 07:44 PM
i just sent this info to my brother, hes looking into having it done. I on the other hand, like my glasses, they save my ass on a daily basis.

Prince Valiant
06-18-2009, 09:03 PM
I was thinking about doing this but people say that at night everything is hazed up. Definitely dont want that.The newest tech minimizes this...and most even with traditional lasik say it goes away after a couple months.

I notice a little haloing around lights...it's not too bad though at all. No worse than glasses. The custom procedure minimizes this, and 3-4 months, it should be gone.

congrats Chris. so you did have the bladeless procedure correct?Actually, no...I thought it would be, but the surgeon felt the blade way would be easiest. It wasn't bad...uncomfortable at points...I knew my anxiety levels raised a bit when they were putting stuff around my eyes, and whatnot. Overall, I think I tensed up twice, each time he just said take a deep breath and relax the covered eye, and things went easy after that.

Many complain of irritation after the surgery, but truth be told, it's not bad right now.

Karps TA
06-18-2009, 09:12 PM
I have zero haloing at night. My night vision is way better then it ever was with contacts and/or glasses.

TurboMutantNinjaBug
06-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Wow...Congrats. I have to say, I don't know if I'd ever do lasik...the whole them cutting your eye apart thing with your eyes open just kind of creeps me out...

michelle
06-18-2009, 10:09 PM
I've been interested in this for awhile, but I freak out when anybody goes near my eyes so I always figured this would be a no-go for me. My poor eye doctor can barely put drops in my eyes and he only does it on a rare basis because he knows I am a pain. (:

95 TA - The Beast
06-18-2009, 10:48 PM
I had damn near the same exact surgery, with the same options for lifetime 'adjustments'...

Mine came out to about $3200, but that was 3 years ago now... No haloing, no sensitivity, everything just about 'normal', but with WAYYY wicked vision (last year I still tested at 20/10 in one eye, and just better than 20/15 in the other) as I can see totally clear for literally MILES (I can count support braces in towers at least a few miles away from my porch on a clear day)...

udlose98
06-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Iheard you should be over a certain age before having it done, true?

hrsp
06-19-2009, 12:51 AM
nice post interesting shit there!

Prince Valiant
06-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Iheard you should be over a certain age before having it done, true?
The older you are, the less chance of regression. It's generally encouraged that people be over 24...and generally if you're over 32, your chance of regression over the next 15 years is pretty minimal. However, there is no set-in-stone rule, as there may always be unique circumstances that might make lasik the best option for a number of people outside the norms.

One of the things they'll counsel you on is that lasik will almost make it a certainty that you'll need to wear reading glasses as you age. This is due to the fact that you're changing the shape of the lens to see far away, so to see close, your eyes/lens has to change length/shape to a greater degree than before...while you're young, this isn't too hard. But as you age, and the eye/lens become less flexible, it finds it harder to focus on objects up close. Generally though computer monitors are far enough away so as reading there won't be a problem if your vision wasn't beyond horrid to begin with.

07ROUSHSTG3
06-19-2009, 12:11 PM
congrats! my wife says that letting me talk her into LASIK, was one of her best decisions.