PDA

View Full Version : Any (romantic) restaurant recommendations?

WhatsADSM
06-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Looking for a nice place to take the wife for our 1 year anniversary (July 4th :usa).

She loves herself a good salmon (other seafood is also a possibility). As fior me no man can argue with a good steak, but truthfully I'm not picky... steak, seafood, chicken is all good. Obviously a more romantic venue would be good. Less than maybe 30 miles or so from Milwaukee, and price really isn't much of an issue.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Prince Valiant
06-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Lake Bistro perhaps? Mister B's in brookfield? Give her roses and go through McD's drivethrough with a box of condoms in the glove compartment?

Karps TA
06-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Packing House off of Layton near the airport is always delicious, and pretty nice inside.

Brian98GTP
06-18-2009, 06:58 PM
There's a place called Smut 'n Eggs in Madison..... :alcoholic

What about that Coasts restaurant by that big sculpture in front of the art museum?

Reverend Cooper
06-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Don't you ricers eat chinese?

Beagle
06-18-2009, 07:08 PM

What about that Coasts restaurant by that big sculpture in front of the art museum?

That place is called Pieces Of Eight. Very nice place.

lasttimearound
06-18-2009, 07:16 PM
pieces of eight is long closed... it was even something else before it finally closed down for good. i thought i had heard bennetts (smut and eggs) had closed too, however im working on confirming that right now. as far as romantic goes... the lake park bistro is awesome, its beautiful, not overly pricey and has a pretty good selection. that and a walk along the lake down by the art museum and veterans memorial. ill try to remember some others, but my head is pounding right now.

Beagle
06-18-2009, 07:17 PM
damn they closed down.....

2000navyz
06-18-2009, 07:50 PM
sabor, flemings steak house.

JC70SS
06-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Pasta Tree, romantic however not my fav Italian food.

SSDude
06-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Jackson Grille on 38th and Mitchell. Variety Menu, blackened steaks, seafood, pasta, ribbs:drool:

Small place, maybe seats 24-30, intimate atmosphere. Classic tunes, I believe they were playing Sinatra last time we went. Specialty Martinis. :thumbsup

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/jacksongrill.html

http://www.yelp.com/biz/jackson-grill-milwaukee

JC70SS
06-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Dave is it safe to go to 38th and Mitchell?

SSDude
06-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Sure

Korndogg
06-18-2009, 08:19 PM
mimma's on brady

http://www.mimmas.com/

DirtyMax
06-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Jackson Grille on 38th and Mitchell. Variety Menu, blackened steaks, seafood, pasta, ribbs:drool: Small place, maybe seats 24-30, intimate atmosphere. Classic tunes, I believe they were playing Sinatra last time we went. Specialty Martinis. :thumbsup

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/jacksongrill.html

I love this place and buy friends and family GC's for this place all the time. Excellent x 1000000

nismodave
06-18-2009, 08:26 PM
If money is no object... Sanford

http://www.sanfordrestaurant.com/

Crawlin
06-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Pieces of Eight was in a different area

Coast is right down on the lake by the US Bank building where Wisconsin Ave sweeps north. By the art museum. Cool location(my dad's company built it, haha) but the food isn't all that great.

Catarina's on Oklahoma and 95th area was a decent italian place and was more set for a quiet date type atmosphere. Would be about $75 w/ tip for two figuring wine and food for both.

I honestly liked Bonefish Grill on Bluemound only because of how nice the staff has always treated me there. The new g/f is a vegetarian but will eat fish. So on a special date night, it was always fun to go there. They don't bother you at all. I sat there for 3 hours with her the first time and always nice. Was about $75

I'd stay away from places like ClaimJumper's or Stir Crazy or Flemming's or Carraba's or any of the larger chain places. Just too open design to have an intimate area.

One of my favorite places is The Melting Pot. It's a long process so it's fun because you can talk to each other. GREAT wine selection. A bit expensive though. Probably be at about $150 for the night if you do whole big deal.

Riptide was fun, but another open atmosphere type place and the food to me was just so/so.

Harry's is pretty good if you want to do a brunch, but haven't been there for anything else. Same thing with High Hat off of Brady. That was a great breakfast and it is a smaller place, so maybe if they offer dinner it'd be a good place. Great food.

Can't beat Carnivore, but I don't know what the fish selection is like if she wants salmon

TurboMutantNinjaBug
06-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Give her roses and go through McD's drivethrough with a box of condoms in the glove compartment?

I like this idea...:thumbsup

Crawlin
06-18-2009, 09:46 PM
"give her two pieces of cheese.... HOOOOOK IITTTT UPPPP"

That_Guy
06-18-2009, 09:50 PM
pandles in bayside

Todd Z
06-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Capital grill downtown is my favorite if your looking for the complete package, service, atmosphere and great food. When you make your reservation they will ask if it is a special occasion and decorate the table tastefully and have a card for you and your wife. I took my wife there for our five year and was 100% happy as always.

noeggs4u
06-18-2009, 09:57 PM
what about Michaels house of prime in pewaukee

juicedimpss
06-18-2009, 09:59 PM
the grove

no,not THE grove.
its a nice place in elm grove,really cool atmosphere.

jbiscuit
06-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Never could understand the appeal of the Melting Pot?? Expensive as all hell and we had to swing through Taco Bell afterwards to get something to eat. We spent about $130 for Jeni's birthday. She really wanted to go and I'll try any place once. We went and have no reason to go back. Its fun but I'd rather go to a fancy steak joint.

1320PNY
06-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Some recommendations and comments:

1.) Eddie Martinis (behind Froedert Hospital on Watertown Plank).
Great food, great atmosphere, pricey, but memorable.

2.) Butler Inn in Pewaukee (over by Yeehaw's Napa)
Awesome steaks - get their featured steak. Great atmosphere.

3.) Packing House
Grand Steer Filet is absolutely perfect, but atmosphere is dated.

4.) Sabor
Great food, but a bit busy and loud for romance

5.) Mr. B's
Last time was the last time, steak was salty and not done well.

6.) Mitchell's Fish Market
Best fish in the area we have found. Not overly romantic, but great.

7.) The Iron Horse is a cool place. Not sure about the food.

8.) Yokoso
Best Japanese cuisine in Milwaukee area. You don't have to eat raw fish, they have plenty of good cooked items as well, including beef.

loud91rs
06-18-2009, 11:11 PM
If you are in the northside I would highly recommend Amici's in richfield. It's a very small Italian place that isn't crazy expensive, but it's just really cozy and romantic. My girlfriend loved it.

Brian98GTP
06-18-2009, 11:27 PM
Pieces of Eight was in a different area

Coast is right down on the lake by the US Bank building where Wisconsin Ave sweeps north. By the art museum. Cool location(my dad's company built it, haha) but the food isn't all that great.

What company, Chris? A general contracting company?
My company then, and the only other HVAC company I've worked at (Thermo Dynamic Systems) did the HVAC. It was me and 2 other guys that did most of it. I think it was back in '02/'03? I also want to say the general was Berghammer, or Redmond or something......?

I've never eaten there so I can't comment on the expensive ass food, but I remember going in to use the bathroom during the Harley 100th. I remember them having the really thick, expensive, absorbant paper towels to dry your hands with. :rolf
There may have even been a bathroom attendant, too.... :confused

DR.FORD
06-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Moes-A Place for Steaks in downtown Milwaukee
You said money isn't an issue, this is the place.
Atmosphere, service and food is truly dazzling!
Too bad Third Street Pier closed, also impeccable.

lordairgtar
06-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Diamond Jims in Hales Corners. Very nice. Also, I keep hearing about a place called Capone's Grotto. Never been there, but I want to check it out.

Crawlin
06-19-2009, 07:51 AM
What company, Chris? A general contracting company?
My company then, and the only other HVAC company I've worked at (Thermo Dynamic Systems) did the HVAC. It was me and 2 other guys that did most of it. I think it was back in '02/'03? I also want to say the general was Berghammer, or Redmond or something......?

My dad is one of three principals that own Berghammer Construction

J - I'm suprised that you were that hungry. Did you do the "Big Night Out" selection? Where it's the bread, then the vegetables, then the meat choice, then the dessert?

By the end I for sure have never finished eating everything, and am stuffed full. Maybe it's the couple glasses of wine? haha.

I guess I always like it because of the time thing. If I only want a 30 minute meal, I'll go to a larger chain because it's cheaper. hahah. For the price, to have that couple hours to enjoy the date/night out/whatever, that's what makes it worth it to me.

I've heard The Grove is a good place too, but haven't ever eaten there.

WhatsADSM
06-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it! I'm gonna start to look into a bunch of those, and too be honest there were a lot mentioned that I haven't heard of yet which is a good thing. :)

Don't you ricers eat chinese?
Does my car look chinese? We only eat Japanese sushi. And mine has to have a big "Nissan" sticker on the top, and "R" on the back.

... Give her roses and go through McD's drivethrough with a box of condoms in the glove compartment?
Yea I gotta wine and dine her first... Then I can pull out the old dick in a box maneuver.

GTSLOW
06-19-2009, 10:42 AM

:rolf how'd you find out about that.

wrath
06-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Ever try Seven Seas out in Delafield? Not very intimate but it's got great fish. The staff is pretty humorous also, but I suppose you have to be to put up with Delafield's finest.

BigSnailBuick
06-22-2009, 10:26 PM
Capital Grill is where the ballers go :D

88Nightmare
06-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Lake Park Bistro

http://www.lakeparkbistro.com/

johnny--2k
06-23-2009, 10:34 AM
McCormick and Smicks by Mayfair has some really great food and service. A bit on the pricey side, and open atmosphere, but a really nice place over all.

ThatWhiteCivic
06-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Capital Grill is a joke.

domokun
06-23-2009, 11:56 AM
does it have to be in wisconsin?

I would venture down to Chicago for a overnight stay and goto the signature room in the hancock building. now THAT was memorable. nothing like eating 94 floors up overlooking the city.

BigSnailBuick
06-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Capital Grill is a joke.

A big statement without a reason. Please inform us on how a place that everyone speaks highly of is a joke :confused

BeesTwinEG
06-23-2009, 12:18 PM
pasta tree
baccus

H8RADE
06-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Mimma's on Brady is an outstanding Italian Cafe.
Trocadero is great, and it's on Water.
For Steaks, Mr. B's has never let me down.
Carnivore is great atmosphere and very, very good food.
Saki Tumi if you dig the Sushi/Sashimi thang.
HTH.

1320PNY
06-23-2009, 05:53 PM
I really think the Butler Inn in Pewaukee is worth a look.
The wife and I lived in Pewaukee for two years before we tried it and we were upset we hadn't sooner.

(As for Captial Grille - discussion - google reviews (30 total) showed only 3 "non-five star" reviews. If you want to stay downtown, this looks like a good option).

Waver
06-23-2009, 07:48 PM
how about silk????? she likes sea food lol

but seriously, here are the two restaraunts that I would take a girl to for an anivarsary like that:
lake park bistro, pandals

CATNHAT
06-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Try the Porticello in Oconomowoc. it is a little pricey but the food is incredible! Get a window seat and you will overlook Silver Lake and enjoy a beautiful sunset.

Got Boost
06-24-2009, 10:16 AM
mimma's on brady

http://www.mimmas.com/ x2 on Mimmas .....or Carinis on Oakland they have alot of seafood Italian dishes ... and on Fox 6 web site they have the half price deal 50 dollar gift cert. for 25 .....

Got Boost
06-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Moes-A Place for Steaks in downtown Milwaukee
You said money isn't an issue, this is the place.
Atmosphere, service and food is truly dazzling!
Too bad Third Street Pier closed, also impeccable. x2 on Moes .....Also Milw Chop House is very good ....also Carnavor Steak house is excellent .... One of the few steak houses that have PRIME steaks.... Yes there is a difference ...