PDA

View Full Version : Enable Internet tethering on your iPhone now, without waiting for AT&T

Goat Roper
06-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Tethering is not an option in the US, until now. Works over USB or Bluetooth.

Upgrade to the 3.0 OS. Go to http://help.benm.at/help.php on your iPhone. Scroll down to “Mobileconfigs” and select “download”. Scrolldown and select “U.S.A.” Select AT&T. It will start to install the profile, select “install”. If you have a 4 digit security code to login to your iPhone it will ask for it.

From there, go into Settings—General—Network and you will now see “Internet Tehtering”. Voila, turn it on and plug it into your machine OR use it over Bluetooth.

We did this to a co-worker's iPhone this aft and tested it as good. Enjoy and your welcome.

http://www.gadgetmeter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/iphone-internet-tethering.png

http://jellysms.com/images/tether/tether_o2_ie1.PNG

H8RADE
06-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Tethering is not an option in the US, until now.
Wrong.
Using Quickpwn to 'jailbreak' your phone has allowed tethering for months.
Its fine to steal services from AT&T, but don't do it on camera by using their own application so they can track you. :goof
Beware of the $1400 phone bill next month for using AT&T's tethering service without authorization.
AT&T will offer tethering, but it won't be free/cheap.
:shades

Goat Roper
06-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Stay under 5gb a month and your fine. It isn't their app or their profile. I will know more how this work from the guy at work that did it tomorrow.

88Nightmare
06-18-2009, 05:15 PM
what exactly is this tethering?

Irish
06-18-2009, 05:18 PM
what exactly is this tethering?

Using your cell phone as an external modem for internet usage.

88Nightmare
06-18-2009, 05:24 PM
ahhh. I remember trying to do that with my LG enV phone on the verizon network using certain qualcomm software and modifying the "OS" of the phone. It worked, but it was slow, and would boot me off every minute or so.

H8RADE
06-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Stay under 5gb a month and your fine. It isn't their app or their profile. I will know more how this work from the guy at work that did it tomorrow.

This is modifying the carrier settings with an overseas carrier select config.
AT&T may be able to tell that you have enabled it, and they may not.
If so, many trees are gonna die to prepare you next bill.
Just a word of caution.
Jailbreak = far superior, IMHO.
It will be out for 3.0 soon.

0TransAm0
06-18-2009, 05:55 PM
imo not worth the possabilty of a HUGE bill the following month...

Goat Roper
06-18-2009, 06:20 PM
What he is going to do it use it lightly, go nowhere near the 5gb a month soft cap and see what it does.

0TransAm0
06-18-2009, 06:23 PM
What he is going to do it use it lightly, go nowhere near the 5gb a month soft cap and see what it does.

that would be some funny shit if he got a nice hefty bill to show for it... lol

H8RADE
06-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Any updates?
My iPhone 3.0 is now Jailbroken.
:thumbsup

PureSound15
06-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Any updates?

What's the point of jailbraking it? I have the 3Gs but I guess I dont understand it.

Myles
06-24-2009, 04:32 PM
What's the point of jailbraking it? I have the 3Gs but I guess I dont understand it.

Its basically unlocking the phone. Alows the use of many free and homebrew apps.

PureSound15
06-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Its basically unlocking the phone. Alows the use of many free and homebrew apps.

Ahh I got it - I guess I haven't looked into it because all but 2 apps I have were free and the ones I use the most were free.

05caddyext
06-24-2009, 05:42 PM
When I had sprint, I was able to use my cell phone to use the internet. I had a program that you could buy at Best Buy, can't remember the name of it right now. It worked perfectly and I never had to pay extra, all I paid for was the monthly fee for the phones internet plan. It hooked up through the usb port.

H8RADE
06-24-2009, 06:42 PM
No Jailbreak for 3gs, yet.
Amazing stuff out there, though.

Goat Roper
06-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Any updates?

Asked today and he has had daily usage since then and no hits on data usage. That seems to be the rule, keep it light and you won't get called out on it.

H8RADE
06-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Asked today and he has had daily usage since then and no hits on data usage. That seems to be the rule, keep it light and you won't get called out on it.

Nice.
Decided to add the profile to my phone.
Thanks for the tip.

domokun
06-24-2009, 10:20 PM
I HIGHLY advice you stop as I work for AT&T ( uverse side ). we got corporate emails today saying they are running reports through our FS5K blade servers to find all the tethers. when tethering is enabled you are given a different mac which is seen by the network, which links up to your account. ( and some other XML files are different in the history database within the network when tethering switch is enabled )

I dont know whats going to happen once caught, I just heard rumors of major charges and POSSIBLY legal action ( I personally doubt the legal action )

H8RADE
06-24-2009, 10:31 PM
:rolleyes:

domokun
06-25-2009, 07:04 AM
:rolleyes:

roll your eyes all you want. jailbroken phones use a different config file that the network cant even capture. when you have apple's / AT&T build...we see everything

I wasnt trying to freak anyone one. I was even tethering..but now removed it :rolf

so take it for a grain of salt if you'd like

Goat Roper
06-25-2009, 04:16 PM
AT&T Tolerates iPhone Tethering Technique

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/zd/20090625/tc_zd/241747

When Apple unveiled its iPhone 3GS earlier this month, AT&T was noticeably absent from the list of providers that would provide tethering capabilities for the smartphone.

AT&T has since said that the technology, which allows users to connect their iPhones to a laptop and use the phone's network to connect to the Web, will eventually be available. But what if you want it right now?

Austrian blogger Benjamin Miller has posted a tethering workaround for the iPhone that will reportedly allow you to use the device to connect to the Web either via USB or Bluetooth.

To access, go to help.benm.at/help.php on your iPhone, and a mobile site created by Miller will pop up. Scroll down to "Tethering & Internet Settings" and click download. Select your country and then your provider and an install button will appear.

Once installed, return to the home page, and go to Settings > General > Network > Internet tethering. Turn on tethering and a pop-up window will let you choose between Bluetooth and USB only.

If you're using a USB, plug it into your Mac or PC and the computer will auto-detect the iPhone. Select your connection and you should be online.

Miller warns on the download page that users are installing the download at their own risk, and that they should check their data plans beforehand so as not to incur high overage charges. He also posted a link to a YouTube tutorial from a U.S.-based fan named Alex.

AT&T played coy when asked about the new tethering technique.

"We do not yet offer tethering on the iPhone ... [and] we do not guarantee the performance of any app we don't offer," AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel said.

When pressed as to whether AT&T "forbids" tethering or would "punish" folks who tether, however, Siegel refused to use that language, however, instead repeating his previous statement.

"We have said that we will offer tethering at some point in the future," Siegel said. "We will not say right now what the price is, though there will be a fee."