PDA

View Full Version : i hate girlfriends cars!!!

scubastang
04-02-2004, 03:38 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Cryptic
04-02-2004, 04:15 PM
we have the 91 cav... same bull sh!t
I had to replace the filter and pump.. more issues with other crap. I hate that car

Yooformula
04-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Soon to be if not already clogged cat?

Sexy83TA
04-02-2004, 05:05 PM
My car did that and sometimes still does. For some reason when I get too slow the idle drops way below where it should be. So I just give the idle a half turn and I fixes the problem. Sometime the problem comes back and I just keep doing that. I ordered a new computer chip and am going to put that in and see if that cures the problem?

BAD LS1
04-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Check the vacuum lines???

Sounds like vaccum leak possibility to me....

Especially when the vacuum power brakes call for more vaccum at near idle when low speed braking etc...

This would really be the case on Heather's car too, explaining why your chasing idle mixture up and down and it doesnt stay consistant.

These leaks can be any where from the obvious to the most hidden.... ive chased leaks all the way to up under the dash at the HVAC controls where a line had dry rotted and split.

Sexy83TA
04-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Having an '83, I've replaced so many wires and hoses that are old and cracked, its possible there are some I just havent seen while working under there. So knows, I guess I'll just keep looking for it.

scubastang
04-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by BADDLS1SS
Check the vacuum lines???

Sounds like vaccum leak possibility to me....

Especially when the vacuum power brakes call for more vaccum at near idle when low speed braking etc...

This would really be the case on Heather's car too, explaining why your chasing idle mixture up and down and it doesnt stay consistant.

These leaks can be any where from the obvious to the most hidden.... ive chased leaks all the way to up under the dash at the HVAC controls where a line had dry rotted and split.

i thought that at first too. I hate vacuum leaks. I think they are the biggest PITA ever and I have seriously almost set cars on fire becasue of them. Usually if you get a vac leak though, the idle will be irratic and most likely increase the idle rpm and cause some surging at accel correct Tom?

Plus I guess when this does happen it happend anywhere braking from 40mph to 5mph braking. I really need one of those stethascopes to check for a vaccum leak. How do you typically check them Tom? With the old starter fluid spray or what? This POS prolly has about 10 of them anyways lol

I am hoping either a clogged cat or hopefully the fuel filter will work, if not check for vac leaks - thanks guys

BAD LS1
04-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Sexy83TA
Having an '83, I've replaced so many wires and hoses that are old and cracked, its possible there are some I just havent seen while working under there. So knows, I guess I'll just keep looking for it.

See thats just the thing i just hate replacing stuff just because...

I have AWESOME troubleshooting skills (not to blow my own horn, but others can vouch for this), you should have me take a look at it sometime, most stuff is pretty easily traceable.

Tommy

Flight_740
04-02-2004, 09:49 PM
First thing that popped into my head was the vacum lines also. I would check those all over.

Damn it, Why can't I ever be the first one with advice?
:flipoff:

BAD LS1
04-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by scubastang
i thought that at first too. I hate vacuum leaks. I think they are the biggest PITA ever and I have seriously almost set cars on fire becasue of them. Usually if you get a vac leak though, the idle will be irratic and most likely increase the idle rpm and cause some surging at accel correct Tom?

Plus I guess when this does happen it happend anywhere braking from 40mph to 5mph braking. I really need one of those stethascopes to check for a vaccum leak. How do you typically check them Tom? With the old starter fluid spray or what? This POS prolly has about 10 of them anyways lol

I am hoping either a clogged cat or hopefully the fuel filter will work, if not check for vac leaks - thanks guys

Well im not a smoker but i bum a cigarette from a smoker, light it up and with the car idling ina garage so there is no wind run the cig around the vaccum lines, i have found this to work good because where there isa leak it will draw the smoke in, this method is one you can see right were it is with your own 2 eyes and safer than usin flamable liquids.

BTW: you never mentioned what this thing has for a motor?? 2.2L I4 or the 3.1L V6?? The 2.2 is pretty straight forward, the 3.1L has Mass air and thats requires a whole new approach to trouble shooting. This is more than likely vacuum due to the fact that the 3T30E trans is vacuum operated it could cause shutter and TQ coverter lock up issues. The 2.2 will be less sensative to small vacuum leaks and the idle air control will smooth most of the idle issues out but not the tranny shift patern.... The MAF 3.1 cars or any MAF car for that matter are very touchy to leaks and will not run right at all if there is a leak somwhere post maf of the slightest bit. Tranny shift info is directly affected by MAf inputs too so it could fubar shift points, firmness, shutter, tq lock up you name it.

Food for thought.

Tommy

SMS 1
04-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Well im not a smoker but i bum a cigarette from a smoker, light it up and with the car idling ina garage so there is no wind run the cig around the vaccum lines, i have found this to work good because where there isa leak it will draw the smoke in, this method is one you can see right were it is with your own 2 eyes and safer than usin flamable liquids.
Tommy
HA! Good one Tom, sure beats the hell out of the prices they charge for smoke systems doesn't it?:D

Sexy83TA
04-03-2004, 10:43 AM
See thats just the thing i just hate replacing stuff just because...

I have AWESOME troubleshooting skills (not to blow my own horn, but others can vouch for this), you should have me take a look at it sometime, most stuff is pretty easily traceable.

Tommy

Sure, If you think you can figure it out, you can check it out anytime. Maybe I'lll be able to talk to you tonight.

BAD LS1
04-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Sure, If you think you can figure it out, you can check it out anytime. Maybe I'lll be able to talk to you tonight.

Yeah Please do!!!!

Ill be at oscars at nine tonight, i have a red 2001 SS Camaro with E/T streets on the back and skinnies on the front, you cant miss it t will be the really clean one that sounds pretty damn hairy:devil

Ill be looking for MR Silver SS Camaro with/ Vortech blower tonight tooo:3gears: Needless to say i might be wheeleing at the rock on this guy if i can find him and if my car hooks hard enough:devil

Later..

Tommy

88camaro
04-03-2004, 05:28 PM

Ill be looking for MR Silver SS Camaro with/ Vortech blower tonight tooo:

is that the guy the stoped and stared us down the drove a few feet and said "ill race any fuck|ng sh|t box for $500, any fuck|ng sh|t box you guys got." Our replay is "i got 2 dollors, wait i got 2 dollar to match his"

now that was funny moment. i think CrypticGTX, Yooformula ,and some other people over heared the conversion

BAD LS1
04-03-2004, 05:46 PM
You are correct!!!

Chris M told me about this guy talking some mad ****, so i figured id make a special apperance tonight for this guy sporting my "stock LS1":devil

GRNDNL
04-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by 88camaro
"ill race any fuck|ng sh|t box for $500, any fuck|ng sh|t box you guys got."

Nice...I love it...What a line....:D

Sometimes things are just to easy...

Go get'em Tom...:shades

Yooformula
04-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Tom, did Chris give you the rundown on his car at all? It was done by Fast times and tuned by Speed so cant be too hard to find out his specs. The guy was an a$$hole too! His plates read "ID WIN" then he shot his mouth off about racing any sh|tbox in the lot for $500. Such and d|ckhead, too bad money cant buy you a personality or a clue:rolleyes:

Oh yeah......:flipoff2: to the silver SS

88camaro
04-03-2004, 08:13 PM
hey Yooformula, dont forget about the conversion you had with that one guy about your "v-6" sporting 200hp

scubastang
04-03-2004, 10:32 PM
i wish I could have been there to see this ****.....sounded like a DSM driver :goof

BossLX or Tina should have raced him and took his $500 ;) that would shut him up real quick

02hawk796
04-04-2004, 10:53 AM
Back to the topic, when I first read the problem, I thought it might be an automatic and perhaps the transmission wasn't downshifting. This would drag down the rpms no matter what speed (different gears). Most GMs I run across seem to have vac controlled transmissions.
Relying upon g/f to give accurate info and you not present when it happens doesn't help with this prob.
Good luck.

Sexy83TA
04-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Yeah Please do!!!!

Ill be at oscars at nine tonight, i have a red 2001 SS Camaro with E/T streets on the back and skinnies on the front, you cant miss it t will be the really clean one that sounds pretty damn hairy:devil

I was there a little after 9:00. But when I got there, nobody was really looking at cars, you were all just standing by the doors and I really didnt know what to do. I saw your car there but I didnt even remember your name. I wasnt about to walk up to a croud of people I didnt know and ask something lame like "Ok so who here posts on brew city muscle!?!"

I think not. You may have seen me or my car drive by. I went though the parking lot twice. Once to park my car and go inside for a drink, and another time to drop my boyfriend back off at his car. Either way I saw your car was still there.

Oh well, it was a shitty night weather wise anyways. Hopefully when its warmer and larger get togethers are happening I'll be able to meet some of you all.

Ricky Bobby
04-04-2004, 01:08 PM
You are correct!!!

Chris M told me about this guy talking some mad ****, so i figured id make a special apperance tonight for this guy sporting my "stock LS1":devil

hey tom i still want a ride in that stock maro :rockwoot:

Syclone0044
04-04-2004, 03:32 PM
FWIW, my 93 3.1 Cavalier is speed density (MAP sensor) and there is no MAF.. and it does not have an electronic transmission. I would be surprised to find out prior models had MAF and electronic trannys.

88camaro
04-04-2004, 07:54 PM
I was there a little after 9:00. But when I got there, nobody was really looking at cars, you were all just standing by the doors and I really didnt know what to do. I saw your car there but I didnt even remember your name. I wasnt about to walk up to a croud of people I didnt know and ask something lame like "Ok so who here posts on brew city muscle!?!"

thats how i found a few people. If any just go walking by the car looking at and ask if the guy/gal standing near it, if their the owner. Dont worry, it seems like everyone there is really nice.

BAD LS1
04-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Syclone0044
FWIW, my 93 3.1 Cavalier is speed density (MAP sensor) and there is no MAF.. and it does not have an electronic transmission. I would be surprised to find out prior models had MAF and electronic trannys.

Yes... the 3100 SFI is the MAF version....

Syclone0044
04-05-2004, 08:01 PM
Yes... the 3100 SFI is the MAF version.... I'm not sure what you're point is :confused the starter of this topic said:
Girlfriends 92 cavalier junker

3rdGen Princess
04-05-2004, 08:11 PM
I was there a little after 9:00. But when I got there, nobody was really looking at cars, you were all just standing by the doors and I really didnt know what to do. . . . .

We showed up on Friday night and had never met anyone here either, but we saw some cars that we recognized and just kinda hung around untill I picked up on something that Cryptic was saying and then introduced myself. But, I am a tad on the outspoken side and not everyone is. I'm sure we will meet up with you sometime soon! :thumbsup

BAD LS1
04-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Syclone0044
I'm not sure what you're point is :confused the starter of this topic said:

WTF
Just commented that there are 3.1s thats use MAFs....

Maybe not that one in the topic but i was just stating a fact???:rolleyes:

Crawlin
04-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by 3rdGen Princess
We showed up on Friday night and had never met anyone here either, but we saw some cars that we recognized and just kinda hung around untill I picked up on something that Cryptic was saying and then introduced myself. But, I am a tad on the outspoken side and not everyone is. I'm sure we will meet up with you sometime soon! :thumbsup

Honestly, that's just what you gotta do :) Pewterstallion did it so you can too. Just come on up to any of us. We are a friendly bunch who just joke around and have fun. You can probably tell who i'd be cause i wear a A/X beanie since my hairs in the middle stages of trying to be grown out :goof

Chris

SMS 1
04-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by z28kid98
You can probably tell who i'd be cause i wear a A/X beanie since my hairs in the middle stages of trying to be grown out :goof

Chris Oh OK so that was you on Friday standing behind where we were talking to Prince Valiant and Yoosof. I was wondering which Chris you were but didn't get to ask:durr Was that your black Z parked on the end when the cops rolled through at about 11?

Crawlin
04-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Yep, black Z with some Weld Pro Star skinnies and HUGE drag radials on it :) I pretty much will always wear it till I get the mini shag cut. Still growing out from snowboarding season.:rockwoot: