PDA

View Full Version : Jeep guys in here.

STANMAN
06-16-2009, 01:20 PM
A friend of the fiance drives a 94 Cherokee with the straight 6, 4x4, 2 door, manual (I know, totally desirable, lol) that the clutch just went out on. Wondering on about what I can expect in parts, and what special tools (if any) are needed. Thanks!

Prince Valiant
06-16-2009, 01:50 PM
You're probably looking at 150-225 for a decent clutch kit (pressure plate, disc, pilot and throwout bearing, alignment tool) and that should be pretty much all you need. The clutch master and slave cylinders and all hoses should be fine...just take care not to rip them.

It'll be a little hassle since you're presumably doing a 4WD, but it's not too terrible. Just make sure you put the disc in facing the proper direction (dot side out!). It's nice that the jeep's already a decent bit off the ground...get it up a bit higher with some good jackstands.

Make sure the flywheel is clean before putting things back together...I'd get it machined while everything is off. New flywheel bolts will probably be required though, and it's a hassle to get the bolts off if you don't have an air hammer. For a first time job, probably figure 5 hours.

Squatch
06-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Job is pretty straight forward Bob. The biggest pain in the ass I ever had on those things was disconnecting the 4wd shifter linkage without breaking it! Everything else is pretty simple, jeeps are pretty user friendly.

Memphis
06-16-2009, 06:50 PM
You wont need new flywheel bolts, but I would recommend looking real close for any hydraulic leaks while its apart.