PDA

View Full Version : looking for a puppy. Got suggestions

MoCkiN U
06-14-2009, 10:09 PM
We went to a car show today and the wife and I saw our daughter Hannah react to a puppy so we went to a pet store on the way home and WOW.....petland is damned expensive. They were spitting stats at me on these puppies like I was upgrading my fuel system. They even had financing options WTF??? Interest on a puppy? F-THAT

Anyway. I searched some online adoption agencies and not much there. Looking for a smaller dog under 25lbs.

min pin
dachsund
yorkshire terrier
pomeranian
poodle mix?
chihuahua (maybe)

They dont have to be pure breds. We are just looking for a great family dog that will be great around my small daughter. Do you guys/gals have any suggestions? We want something that will stay small

PureSound15
06-14-2009, 10:14 PM
My parents have a schnoodle, which might be the smartest dog I've ever come in contact with. It's small - less than 20 pounds and doesn't shed, of course.

My lady wants a second dog, and I'd get a schnoodle in a heartbeat.

Car Guy
06-14-2009, 10:15 PM
I am partial to dachsunds (had one and have loved the breed for years) but miniature pinchers are awesome, however be prepared if you get one with lots of energy. They can be harder to catch than a white tailed deer......:stare

MoCkiN U
06-14-2009, 10:18 PM
I am partial to dachsunds (had one and have loved the breed for years) but miniature pinchers are awesome, however be prepared if you get one with lots of energy. They can be harder to catch than a white tailed deer......:stare

ok I giggled there.

Do I just google for breeders? I asked buddies today. If wanted a dog where does one go to get one and we all had same look on our faces

Plum Crazy
06-14-2009, 10:19 PM
if you are looking for a dog on the smaller side, i like Corgi's myself

Puppy-

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp26/alexkostermann/de502c5ae0b62ce4.jpg

Full Grown-

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp26/alexkostermann/3ab0f8e46b5d01ea.jpg

My aunt had one, was very friendly.

Also, did i see you heading north on HWY 31 around 6-630? I was in the black ram heading south

MoCkiN U
06-14-2009, 10:22 PM
That was me. I was out taking pictures and enjoying this weather. Did you happen to notice a big cowboy hat like this one? LOL

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4515/113/42/1110825453/n1110825453_442037_3816332.jpg

Car Guy
06-14-2009, 10:27 PM
^^^ :bling

Plum Crazy
06-14-2009, 10:29 PM
That was me. I was out taking pictures and enjoying this weather. Did you happen to notice a big cowboy hat like this one? LOL

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4515/113/42/1110825453/n1110825453_442037_3816332.jpg

No, but im sorry i missed it!:rolf

I think i raced you once on my way home from work (in Kenosha by Parkside) last summer/fall, you probably dont remember because you walked all over me.

88Nightmare
06-14-2009, 11:11 PM
how about a jack russell terrier:

http://www.puppyfind.com/breed/jack_russell_terrier/m_6y71g1z8ce.jpg

http://www.forgottenpaws.com/JackRussell.jpg

awsomeears
06-14-2009, 11:19 PM
As car guy ( my bro ) stated we had a little dachsund, I love the breed and they are rated up there as a child friendly dog.

Awwwwwwwwwwww

http://static.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/dog-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/miniature-dachshund-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pictures/miniature-dachshund-0073.jpg

not mine just some pic I found on google

pOrk
06-14-2009, 11:22 PM
My fiancee works at that petland in racine, in the kennel. The longer the dog is at the store, the cheaper they get. Also, its like a barter shop you can make an offer on the dog and they will work with you.

Yoi want a cheap dog, check craigslist. Lots of ppl buy dogs without thinking about how much work they are...

MoCkiN U
06-14-2009, 11:29 PM
hmm. thanks for tips gang. dachsunds are so darn cute! LOL

if it was a black truck I do remember "if" we went GO right there at A just a bit before the BP heading south on greenbay. I dont go often so I do remember the few good ones as I get whooped pretty good most times

TransAm12sec
06-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Check the paper for listings. A shitzu is another option. I had a Peek-a-poo when I was younger, I love that dog.

A few month old Shitzu.
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs091.snc1/4660_890122809730_13934428_53401880_3977235_n.jpg

lordairgtar
06-15-2009, 12:13 AM
The Jack Russell is a high energy dog but smart as a whip (I have a JR/Boxer mix) If youy have the patience to train one, they are loyal and protective of their "family". Miniature Pinschers are cool and poodle mixes are pretty lovable dogs. Another possibility would be a Shetland Sheepdog, or Sheltie...they look like miniature collies...another loyal breed. I had an American Eskimo dog which resembles a miniature Samoyed, very nice dog. I taught it to whisper! Very quiet bark LOL

BigBadGTA
06-15-2009, 12:16 AM
We have three Shitzu poodle mixes. They are extremely friendly and are the smartest dogs I have ever come in contact with. I would highly recommend the breed.

Cjburn
06-15-2009, 04:55 AM
We have a Jack Russell and a Russell/Yorkie mix. I wouldn't hesitate getting a Russell for a family, but they are an extremely high energy dog. I search rescues and see what you can come up with, I wouldn't buy from Petland because box stores tend to buy from puppy mills. Buy from three places, breed specific animal rescues, breeders, or the county animal pound.

michelle
06-15-2009, 06:24 AM
I grew up with a Beagle and Adam and I recently adopted a Beagle from the Humane Society. He's a great dog, especially around kids. Great temperment. Only thing is the food hound part in him, but you can work with that and he's fine.

Adam's parents also have two smaller dogs. One is a shitzu-bichon mix (called a teddy bear) and the other is a yorkshire mix (either shitzu or bichon, I forgot). Both don't "shed", but need to be groomed. Great dogs, good energy to play with, good house dogs when they are home alone (act like a cat), but house training tends to take longer with smaller dogs.

In terms of where to go, I do have to recommend a rescue (you can find breed specific rescues or "small dog" rescues). Or even rescue one from a Craigslist ad. Better those dogs find homes then be dumped on the street or left outside.

Prince Valiant
06-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Here's what I typed from an earlier post:

Here's what I'd recommend if you wanted a small dog:

http://api.ning.com/files/tlB4pKQX5mhQg842e--k1X9Lg5L8WZ5rCzWkQSXXy4w_/pug0507.jpg

good puppy pic:

http://www.pugs.nl/images/pug0407.jpg

Pug's. But I call them "miniature mastiff's" since they DO resemble very small mastiffs.

GREAT small dog for kids. Why? Kids like to poke, pry, grab, roll, wrestle, hold...etc. All things that can hurt or frighten the "typical" small dog. This is the reason why toy dogs aren't generally recommended for families with small children.

Pugs, on the other hand, are hardy little beast. They don't injure or scare quite as easily, so they tend not to be as intimidated by the little beast that come running up to them, grabbing, crying, etc, aka "kids".

Edit: My wife and I just adopted a pug ourselves, long after I originally typed this...we were looking for an old special needs dog to adopt, and we found the one, dudley, who happened to be a pug (blind, overweight, deaf in one ear, 13 y/o). He's been great...hardy personality, bold, funny....and when we're not around, all he does is sleep. Here's a pic of my buddy holding him:

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6301&stc=1&d=1245073121

We'd totally change his name to "Jabba" for reasons quite obvious in the pic if he wasn't so old, lol. :rolf

Other great options for small (under 20-30lbs) but hardy and known sweet kid friendly breeds, the boston terrier:
http://www.btcanada.com/photos/photo4661.jpg
^had to have a puppy pic...
http://www.thriftyfun.com/images/petguides/BostonTerrierRocky300x301.jpg

Another GREAT and under-recognized breed that fit the mold, FRENCH bulldog:
puppy:
http://www.pupcity.com/images/adpics/05239112848926_1.bmp
and fully grown:
http://www.puppycityny.com/Fr%20Bulldog/Fr%20Bulldog.jpg
French bulldogs are great dogs, called "clown dogs" for good reason. Good humor, GREAT personalities, and brave for their size. Highly recommended.

The great things about all the little dogs above, is they tend to exude confidence when raised properly...plus, the are TREMENDOUSLY devoted, if not obedient. They have a sweet nature, but aren't going to pass up a chance to wrestle.

IF you look into a boston terrier, look for a breeder who advertises "Boston BULLY terrier"; they're a little hardier, a little more stable, but have the same persona and markings to the "regular" boston terrier.

EDIT: If you're looking to spend only a little, try petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com), you can find young puppies to old already trained dogs with only small adoption fees. Otherwise, select the breeds you want and search for a breeder...the pet stores usually charge so much to make one think there is something special about the puppy. They even have "papers"; notice though...they aren't AKC/UKC or the like (the only agencies that truly can show "pedigree"), but instead some "pedigree service" offers the papers. It's a scam.

MoCkiN U
06-15-2009, 10:41 AM
what I really really really want is a english bulldog. That is my favorite dog of all time. Doesnt fit the complete mold as they get heavy but heres my issue. I am incredibly alergic to either the dander or the hair. I tried to spend a day with a breeder to see if I could pull it off and nothing.....eyes swole up and wham full alergy attack. little bullies will do the same to me so the pugs are out too. sucks!

I have found success on a few breeds now gotta find them. THose teddy bears are so darn cute. I am trying to find some of those now.

Prince Valiant
06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Hair breeds your best bet then...some of the most hypoallergenic tend to be bichon frise's, poodles (standard/min/toy), bedlington terrier, maltese, dandie dindmont terrier, and more of the type...

very short hair dogs also work...but not very well for severe allergies...just mild ones such as my wife has. Whippets, min pins, italian greyhounds fit the mix here. Both the boston and frenchie would also fit in this category.

Understand, there is no such thing as a dog that's truly hypoallergenic...just dogs that produce very little allergens.

I have both a bedlington terrier (gizmo) and a standard poodle (sassy), either of which are among the most hypoallergenic. Gizmo would probably be more your size requirement as he weighs all of 22lbs. Very fast, very athletic...being a terrier has kind of an outsized personality. You're welcome to meet either/both dogs to see how you tolerate their hair/dander. Here they are:

gizmo as a puppy

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5394&d=1215534267

can't seem to get my pics of gizmo now fully grown...but here's what he looks like:

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/images/breeds/bedlington.jpg

Built like a whippet (small greyhound type dog), but with the hypoallergenic coat...seriously, softest coat I've ever felt.

Sassy:

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5511&stc=1&d=1219077012

As I said...you're totally welcome to come meet these guys to see if you tolerate this type of coat. Even if you were to want something else along the line, there are several different dogs that'll have this coat featured, so if you tolerate it, you'll have a good idea of the breeds you can then select from.

MoCkiN U
06-15-2009, 12:04 PM
this turned out to be a great thread and very very helpful. thanks all

and I may just take you up on that offer sir. thank you!

Waver
06-15-2009, 12:06 PM
kelly, no mater what dog you get, stay away from pet land or other pet stores like that......most of those dogs are from a puppy farm and will have health issues, if you want a purebread, go with a breeder......got the huskey that I had from one, no problems in the year I had him

pOrk
06-15-2009, 03:17 PM
We have a Jack Russell and a Russell/Yorkie mix. I wouldn't hesitate getting a Russell for a family, but they are an extremely high energy dog. I search rescues and see what you can come up with, I wouldn't buy from Petland because box stores tend to buy from puppy mills. Buy from three places, breed specific animal rescues, breeders, or the county animal pound.

Haha, every single dog from Petland has documented papers from the breeders of which they came from. If they were caught buying from puppy mills, they would be shut down. Puppy mills are illegal.

MoCkiN U
06-15-2009, 03:44 PM
I was at the kenosha humane society today and front and center on their bulletin board was an article someone wrote about that petland store. I dont know the truth and frankly dont really care. I would only pay that much for a eng. bulldog or something I factually knew was worth it.

I did find a dog today. We got one from a private person from milwaukee newspaper. We are going to pick him up tonight. Will post pictures of the new happy family later

u_say_go
06-15-2009, 03:51 PM
there are a lot of crazy people on Craigslist bitchin about Petland and PuppyWorld saying their dogs come from puppy mills...it's all BS. The people who say that are usually backyard breeders themselves and are just trying to steer you away from buying a dog from someone else. Those pet stores have been around for years, don't you think if they were buying from puppymills they'd be shut down already?
We got our first dog from a total DUMP pet store in Bay View, actually bought him just because his living conditions were so deplorable....I am 99% sure he was from a puppymill, but he turned out to be the best dog we ever had.

Prince Valiant
06-15-2009, 03:51 PM
I can't speak about petland per se, but I'd be skeptical of claims of documentation regarding a puppy from a pet store. There are several reasons for this:

1. Most all reputable breeders prefer to screen prospective buyers themselves. Hobby breeders may sell to a pet store...but the ones who show and have their dogs measured against AKC standards/against other dogs, in my experience, won't.

2. The documentation from the breeders, or any list of "pedigree" have never, in my personal observation, come from either the AKC or UKC, or list any affliation with the clubs. Instead they come from obscure "pedigree services" of which I'd never heard of. They'll often list 'champions' along the puppies lineage, despite these lack of affiliations...and in my estimation, completely fabricated.

3. Puppy mills might be "illegal," but this doesn't stop their operation...it's only improved their ability to hide their activities from prospective buyers, perhaps even the stores who unknowingly purchase these dogs, acting as a mom n' pop style hobby breeder.

I have personal experience w/ number 2 too...Gus, an airedale that I rescued/fostered fit this type. The family that surrendered him gave papers along with it, again showing champion lineage from a pedigree services...I could find no listing of any of these particular past champions with any state/national kennel club. Gus himself was from Oklahoma (which along with Kansas, Nebraska, and Iowa, are the worst offending puppy mill states) with a listing of the breeder, of which I could find no other evidence of either on the web nor with any airedale specific club...and Gus, of course, was sold in FL. Do I have absolute proof that Gus was a puppy mill dog? No...but my suspicion levels are quite high.

Basically, imo, enough is given to allay a perspective buyers concerns about a puppy potentially coming from a mill; moderate investigating though turns up little evidence that the papers are accurate in anyway.

Petland might be different, but I'd be skeptical.

That's not to say terrific dogs couldn't come from Petland or even puppy mills...gus turned out to be a wonderful, healthy dog with patience and firm training. He's a terrific pet for his new family, and I only wished my wife's health issues hadn't precluded me from keeping him at the time.

Nor is it to say that one should only get pure-breeds from breeders...animal rescues, mutts, shelters are all excellent places to find wonderful dogs. You tend to find me with pure-breeds simply because they have very predictable traits (such as low allergen production, energy levels, grooming requirements, etc), but wouldn't hesitate for many to adopt a mutt. And virtually every dog from a pet store will be a great pet too if properly raised, as any dog would need to be...but the cost are out of this world!

When I buy a puppy, I prefer to meet the puppies parents and see how they behave, how they interact with people, other dogs, puppies. I like to see the environment that the puppy is raised in, how they are handled by humans, and how often (it'll make a difference in his/her confidence and socialbility). I also like to screen all the puppies, avoiding the overshy, submissive types...and likewise, any over dominant puppy (though gizmo fit that mold somewhat...but he wasn't a hyper-dominant puppy, just the most in the litter).

A dog is a big investment...not just of time and money, but of love. You'll be spending a LONG time with the little guy, so it behooves you to take every step you can to find the *right* puppy/dog. Trust me on that!

u_say_go
06-15-2009, 03:54 PM
what I really really really want is a HUGE vet bill. That is my favorite dog of all time. .

there, I fixed it for you. Bulldogs are cool no doubt, I've wanted one for years, but would rather not deal with the short life expectancy and ginormous vet bills.

Prince Valiant
06-15-2009, 03:57 PM
I did find a dog today. We got one from a private person from milwaukee newspaper. We are going to pick him up tonight. Will post pictures of the new happy family later Can't wait to see the pics...

Please, don't hesitate to ask questions about training, house breaking, etc...

WhatsADSM
06-15-2009, 04:08 PM
I can't speak about petland per se, but I'd be skeptical of claims of documentation regarding a puppy from a pet store. There are several reasons for this:

1. Most all reputable breeders prefer to screen prospective buyers themselves. Hobby breeders may sell to a pet store...but the ones who show and have their dogs measured against AKC standards/against other dogs, in my experience, won't.

2. The documentation from the breeders, or any list of "pedigree" have never, in my personal observation, come from either the AKC or UKC, or list any affliation with the clubs. Instead they come from obscure "pedigree services" of which I'd never heard of. They'll often list 'champions' along the puppies lineage, despite these lack of affiliations...and in my estimation, completely fabricated.

3. Puppy mills might be "illegal," but this doesn't stop their operation...it's only improved their ability to hide their activities from prospective buyers, perhaps even the stores who unknowingly purchase these dogs, acting as a mom n' pop style hobby breeder.

I have personal experience w/ number 2 too...Gus, an airedale that I rescued/fostered fit this type. The family that surrendered him gave papers along with it, again showing champion lineage from a pedigree services...I could find no listing of any of these particular past champions with any state/national kennel club. Gus himself was from Oklahoma (which along with Kansas, Nebraska, and Iowa, are the worst offending puppy mill states) with a listing of the breeder, of which I could find no other evidence of either on the web nor with any airedale specific club...and Gus, of course, was sold in FL. Do I have absolute proof that Gus was a puppy mill dog? No...but my suspicion levels are quite high.

Basically, imo, enough is given to allay a perspective buyers concerns about a puppy potentially coming from a mill; moderate investigating though turns up little evidence that the papers are accurate in anyway.

Petland might be different, but I'd be skeptical.

That's not to say terrific dogs couldn't come from Petland or even puppy mills...gus turned out to be a wonderful, healthy dog with patience and firm training. He's a terrific pet for his new family, and I only wished my wife's health issues hadn't precluded me from keeping him at the time.

Nor is it to say that one should only get pure-breeds from breeders...animal rescues, mutts, shelters are all excellent places to find wonderful dogs. You tend to find me with pure-breeds simply because they have very predictable traits (such as low allergen production, energy levels, grooming requirements, etc), but wouldn't hesitate for many to adopt a mutt. And virtually every dog from a pet store will be a great pet too if properly raised, as any dog would need to be...but the cost are out of this world!

When I buy a puppy, I prefer to meet the puppies parents and see how they behave, how they interact with people, other dogs, puppies. I like to see the environment that the puppy is raised in, how they are handled by humans, and how often (it'll make a difference in his/her confidence and socialbility). I also like to screen all the puppies, avoiding the overshy, submissive types...and likewise, any over dominant puppy (though gizmo fit that mold somewhat...but he wasn't a hyper-dominant puppy, just the most in the litter).

A dog is a big investment...not just of time and money, but of love. You'll be spending a LONG time with the little guy, so it behooves you to take every step you can to find the *right* puppy/dog. Trust me on that!

Couldn't agree with this statement more, everything was spot on. :thumbsup

I can't comment on every single PetXXX store, but many of those stores do get their puppys from puppy mills. It is actually much harder to shut down puppy mills than one might think. What I can tell you is that the wife and I go to the WI Humane society every week or so and within the last year they have gotten LOTS of dogs due to puppy mills which got shut down when they got caught selling. It is REALLY sad to see some of those dogs, 5 year old girls with stomachs to the floor, dogs with ZERO socialization which are afraid of their own shadow, etc.. Very very sad :(

IMO At the end of the day the best thing you can do is not support anything like that. Find a reputable breeder that knows what they are talking about, has REAL AKC/UKC registration/pedigrees, and raises the dogs with the correct socialization. If that is a local breeder, remote breeder or even a small Pet store, whatever. Just do your homework.

MoCkiN U
06-15-2009, 04:19 PM
there, I fixed it for you. Bulldogs are cool no doubt, I've wanted one for years, but would rather not deal with the short life expectancy and ginormous vet bills.

HA HA HA!! Great post.

eyes, snout, lungs, throat, dried out wrinkles and thats only a few issues I know as there are joint issues too. Definately high maintenance.

MoCkiN U
06-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Ok. home now.

Once Michelle mentioned "Teddy Bears" and I googled the image I knew that was kinda what I wanted. Didnt think I would find one but HEY!! Here we are.
Had to spend a little time showing the little guy where to pee, and where his sleeping spot was and to allow him some time to adjust. We named him Maddux which the wifey quickly has abbreviated to "Matty" so we shall see how long that last. He is a mix breed and just so darned cute and he is a instant hit with Hannah. THese pictures are seconds from walking in the door setting him down and grabbing the camera.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/ShoUrGlow/IMG_0786.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/ShoUrGlow/IMG_0790.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/ShoUrGlow/IMG_0789.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/ShoUrGlow/IMG_0794.jpg

TransAm12sec
06-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Fuzzy puppy. I love dogs.

lordairgtar
06-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Aawwwww

Al
06-16-2009, 12:08 AM
I prefer shaggy dogs like that. looks like a non-shedder.

michelle
06-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Aww glad you got a Teddy Bear! Congrats!

Prince Valiant
06-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Cute puppy! congrats! do you plan on crate training?

MoCkiN U
06-16-2009, 09:18 AM
crate training? elaborate

Prince Valiant
06-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Basically training a dog to stay in it's crate when you're away. It's also the easiest method of house breaking a dog. It does depend on how old he/she is...how old?

The short version is this:

Dogs are den animals...it's instinctive to den. They feel safer in a den as they don't have to worry about what's in the den/behind them etc, they only have to focus on dangers from one area, the den opening. So when trained to accept the crate as their den, the crates become an area where the dog feels safe, less stressed, etc. A stressed dog can suffer separation anxiety and be destructive.

Likewise, a puppy is naturally taught by it's mom at around 4 weeks to stop going in it's den (or in this case, it's birthing/bedding area). This is done to reduce the scent of the den to lessen the chances of the puppies being predated upon...before 4 weeks, while the puppies still go in the den, the mother may eat the defecations to reduce this as well...and this is why some puppies tend to eat their own poop too.

In it's kennel/crate, they tend not to go to the bathroom in the small confined spaces...so you leave them in there for an hour or two, then the first thing you do when you take him/her out is get them outside to use the bathroom...and praise them for going out there right away. Then, in about an hour, put them back in and again, an hour or two later, take them out and praise them once they go.

I prefer the travel type crates, where they can only easily see out the front like you see for travel crates. Put a blanket in there and some chew toys/nylabone for the puppy to chew on (it's stress relieving). Put the puppy in there and play with them, make it a fun place (never use the crate as punishment). If you're going to be gone for more than 4 hours, put some water in there too...but understand, before 6 months, dogs generally need to go to the bathroom every 3-4 hours or so...and dogs generally don't "get" house breaking until 6 months or so (though some do great even at 10 weeks, this doesn't mean they understand it).

Also, place some rolled up hand towels (2-3) in the crate that are approx as long as the puppy...this approximates his litter mates, since he's used to sleeping with his litter and is still strongly attached to them. You could also go to a pet store and get a ticking device that simulates a heart-beat, which also is familiar and soothing to the dog. Another little trick is to put a water bladder with warm water...another familiarity from his litter mates that reduces stress.

Not all dogs take to crate training though...gizmo goes in and everything, but he needs his sister there to keep him from crying. Sassy is the same way...

But overall, crate training will reduce stress for both the puppy and you...the puppy since they'll have a safe place; you since you won't have as many "accidents" around to clean up from.