PDA

View Full Version : 383 going in...

PB86MCSS
04-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Well the 383 Vortec roller motor will be swapped into the SS over this weekend finally. Got all my parts packed in the LS and will be taking the SS out of storage to a shop to work on it over the weekend near the storage location in Chilton :D. Then put it back in storage Sunday :(. But should be alot of fun! Core support swap, engine and alot of fun details....

Prince Valiant
04-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Good luck!

What induction is the SS going to use? Carb, TPI?

Yooformula
04-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Sounds sweet! Keep us updated with pics:shades

PB86MCSS
04-01-2004, 08:56 PM
I'm just going to keep it carbed, stock Q-Jet for now. Many guys have had success running untouched(in tune of course) stock Q-Jets/ECM's(I will be changing the knock sensor/ESC and have a ZZ4 PROM however) on built up 350-400's actually...hopefully mine will too! Once planned on a LT1 swap but decided against after the pros/cons in my situation. If I drove it alot more I'd go EFI for the driveability/tuning.

It started as a planned budget 350 motor last summer, but pretty much ending up with all new and upgraded items besides sticking with ported/polished Vortec heads and a stock replacement fuel pump. Serpentine belt setup, electric fans, aluminum core support, mini starter, Crane Gold rockers, being a 383 not 350 :D, etc. Probably won't have time to do the A/C to factory non A/C conversion this weekend though.

I will be taking more pics than need be probably ;). Should be fun spending 2 full days or so just a motor swap....also big thanks to fellow board member MYFYN79 who will be doing the swap with me and hooked me up with some nice deals, as well as being able to use the shop through his buddy.

Rocket Power
04-02-2004, 12:10 AM
:thumbsup Cool! Can't wait for the pics.

Prince Valiant
04-02-2004, 12:27 AM
Can you give a basic spec run down?

Cam specs
~ compression ratio
intake manifold (stock or?)
exhaust (stock manifolds or ? better vortech mani's or headers?)
What else...rods, is it balanced, etc...

thanks! Again, looking fwd to see it going :thumbsup

PB86MCSS
04-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Cam specs: http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=08-503-8

Edelbrock Performer 2116 intake.

Hooker 2050 headers(shorties) with 1 5/8ths primaries to a Random Tech. cat and Dynomax catback exhaust.

Compression ratio, not sure :(.

Eagle cast 400 crank, rods, etc....

Got a 2800 stall convertor as well to replace the 1900 stocker. Hopefully the stock trans can last me this year :).

The motor we believed was a factory roller setup but turns out was not. 95' block from a truck that blew a bearing. But still a roller motor, engine was put together and balanced by a guy in Fon Du Lac that MYFYN79 knows well. He did the bottom end and slapped the top end together that I picked out and gave to him(intake/rockers/cam). The engine builder scored a deal on the rotating assembly and heads in a deal with some roller rockers I since sold that another person who was going to do a Vortec 383 with but gave up.

Prince Valiant
04-02-2004, 12:55 AM
Well, the great thing about long throw cranks and small chambered heads...you are virtually garaunteed a very decent compression ratio. As a matter of fact, most who build stroker combo's have a tough time building compression OUT of the motor :thumbsup

Nice cam though...very good duration @ .050 numbers...

Jeez, this should be very very nice motor...I think we'll have to line it up at some point :haveabeer

PB86MCSS
04-02-2004, 01:14 AM
:D

Not sure what the hp/torque figures will be or my 1/4 but both will be tested this year for sure, dyno sometime and the Grove is planned. I'd guesstimate/hope for 350hp at the flywheel or so, maybe more...and a mid 13 second pass with the 3.42's(posi at least) and street tires. Might get drag radials and slap them on the some GTA's someone has posted for sale on this board ;). 3.73's by next year and with some tuning, maybe if I'm lucky 12's. Can't get ahead of myself though....

SSScottSS
04-03-2004, 01:26 AM
Great to hear the time has come for the swap Paul.. Hope everything goes smoothly for you guys!!! BTW.. I DON'T think I'll want to line up next to you!! LOL:3gears:

I'd love to stop by and check out the progress, but .... new baby was born today:rockwoot: , so no car fun for me for a while.

PB86MCSS
04-04-2004, 05:22 AM
Didn't get to the engine swap. Engine builder accidentally used the wrong 350 block, a late model but non roller motor. Was making it a retro fit and needed special fit pushrods so it wasn't done on time, then upon further inspection myself with Jeremy(MYFYN79) realized it was the wrong block...no fuel pump pushrod hole either :eek: . The good news was we found the block that was supposed to be used, so its not gone. Tags were simply swapped or something....will be done by midweek and NEXT weekend motor swap :D. Did swap my core support for the aluminum one and removed my steel front bumper too on the SS at least, then put it back in storage.

PB86MCSS
04-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Got it swapped in over this weekend, finished buttoning it up this afternoon. Car runs pretty good, just a couple minor issues to deal with like the timing and whatnot...just ran out of time being Easter. I can tell it will be a fun summer.....:D.

Took quite a few pics, will have them after I waste the rest of my film.

SSScottSS
04-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Congrats Paul !!!!!! :haveabeer Sure feels good doesn't it :3gears:

Syclone0044
04-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Nice work! :thumbsup Can't wait to hear how it runs. Are you going to give it MotoMan's "Hard break-in"?

PB86MCSS
04-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Yea, broke it in like you drive it they say. Consisted of quite a few WOT runs on some country backroads. Also a handful of burnouts getting the car sideways :3gears: . Shes a runner! :D

Rocket Power
04-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Burnout pics ! Burnout pics ! Burnout pics ! :D :3gears:

SMS 1
04-12-2004, 01:58 AM
Yes I want to see some melted rubber!!!:3gears: :3gears: :3gears: BTW the GTA's are still for sale, yelled at my brother for not having the pics again tonight at dinner. He said he would do it early this week, but I wouldn't hold my breath:rolleyes:

PB86MCSS
04-15-2004, 12:06 AM
Here are the good pictures that turned out. Forgot my good camera(hey brought rolls of film though :rolleyes: ) so we had to grab a disposable and most pictures turned out like crap.

http://members.aol.com/tadowpaul/vortec383

http://members.aol.com/tadowpaul/meinenginebay

http://members.aol.com/tadowpaul/emptyenginebay

http://members.aol.com/tadowpaul/theoldL69

I only have one pic when the motor was about done, I'll just wait till next time for better pics of that :).

SSScottSS
04-15-2004, 04:49 AM
That sure does look like a nice garage to work in!!!! What torque converter you have in there?

PB86MCSS
04-19-2004, 10:12 PM
It is a 2600-2800 stall convertor....should help :D.

SSScottSS
04-20-2004, 03:06 AM
Yes that should help. I'm thinkin that car will be pretty quick when you get it all tuned.

Rocket Power
04-20-2004, 07:51 PM
Still waiting for burnout pics:goof :D

PB86MCSS
04-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Where are yours? :banana

Still waiting to do another burnout :D. I probably won't get it out of storage for the season until the 2nd weekend in May, due to school and whatnot.

My trans had some metal shavings and the fluid didn't look that pretty either....so hopefully it will make it this full year! Then to decide on a Jimmy's built 200-4r or a T-56 :3gears: .

SSScottSS
04-21-2004, 12:04 AM
How much does Jimmies want for the 200? I've heard Borcharts puts together good trannies also.

Rocket Power
04-21-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by PB86MCSS
Where are yours? :banana

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.........hmmm that doesn't sound right. :goof :eek:

I gotta put the exhaust back on the car then I do one and take a pic.
Of course if I put the exhaust back on then I'll find headers at Jefferson for sure :D

PB86MCSS
04-21-2004, 01:09 AM
:thumbsup

I can't wait to get some burnout pics, or attempt at em'.

It depends on how built you want the trans. For something with decent power in front of it one of his rebuilds will cost over a grand, he has levels. The LS's cost $700 for a rebuild with better than stock parts and a rebuilt convertor. I highly recommend him for 200-4r's and so does anyone else who has taken theirs to him in the WI or IL areas :D. I don't trust anyone in WI with the 200-4r and haven't even heard anything good regarding someone in this state being able to build one worth a damn.

BadAzzGTA89
04-21-2004, 07:27 PM
A&A transmissions on 34th and stpaul!! Does awsome work ask for bobby the owner or luca the lead man!!Friends of the family and always did knock out jobs.They are gonna build my 700r4 with the corvette servoes and my shift kit and what ever stall converter i need:confused gotta find that one out!!

Brian

PB86MCSS
04-21-2004, 09:14 PM
I'm sure they do good work but for a 200-4r I would take it to Jimmy and highly recommend anyone to do so as well.

Most places seem to think the 200-4r is junk because its relation to the 200C 3 speed crappy trans :bsflag . That alone scared me off from Badger transmissions to look at a basic problem I had. I asked for advice on a few boards(national/local) and got Jimmys since he is in the region.

Mundelein is only over an hour away from here too, so its not a bad hike....they do all GM automatics but specialize in the 200-4r and stick them behind 10 second Turbo Regals(probably sub 10 too for all I know) and apparently 502 powered cars too :). I know some people from the fox valley area who travel down to him as well. At least 2 others on this board go to him for their 200-4r work :D. Honest, good prices and one of the most respected 200-4r guys in the country. His business is purely word of mouth and by car guys who want whats best for their cars, which is impressive.

No dig at your buddies place, just telling it like it is about Jimmys! :haveabeer