PDA

View Full Version : what should I do?

88Nightmare
06-14-2009, 07:14 PM
My old man drives a 1993 Mercury Sable. It has 113k miles. It runs GREAT. For its age, its pretty rust free. We replaced the transmission at about 85k miles. At 113k now, the transmission is going again. Did a trans flush, added a quart of Lucas trans stabilizer, and surprisingly it didn't help at all. Seems like its an internal differential issue. Given the cars age and value (or lack there of), think its worth it to stick another transmission in it, or take that money and put it towards a different vehicle?

Here is why I'm torn:

The Sable, although old, is quite reliable. It starts on the coldest mornings, runs smooth and strong. I know EXACTLY whats wrong with it (it will need a left ball joint soon, its a $60 part and an hour or two of labor in the driveway, then an alignment). Its also going to need an alternator soon (the bearing is pretty squeaky on it). So pretty much, the transmission is the primary downfall to the car.

With a different car, we can't afford another car payment, so we would be buying an older used vehicle for cash. Given that, who knows what kind of problems we could end up having with a different vehicle. Regardless of how well you inspect it, problems can still pop up after purchase.... so its a gamble.

So what are your opinions?

Car Guy
06-14-2009, 07:30 PM
3.8L or 3.0L and who rebuilt the transmission...??? It should have lasted longer than 30k miles......

88Nightmare
06-14-2009, 07:38 PM
3.8 and the trans is from a junkyard. My transmission guy looked over it before install, said things look ok for a used trans, so he did pan gaskets and axle seals, and we installed it. Keep in mind, he didn't tear it down at all. The thing shifts just fine, but it seems like the differential inside it is failing, just like the previous trans did. If I were to go with another trans for it, I have no idea where to get a new or fresh rebuilt trans from.

Car Guy
06-14-2009, 07:44 PM
You might want to be think twice before investing the $$$ seeing is how it has the 3.8L, 3.8Ls = JUNK!

I am currently looking for a `92-95 Taurus/Sable (Wagon! :devil) and have passed on numerous 'cream puffs' only because they had the 3.8L. Sure the 3.0L has no balls but it will run as long as a Honduh if you simply change the oil on time......:)

88Nightmare
06-14-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm not disagreeing, but what issues do the 3.8's have? It runs great. Just did a thermostat on it since the old one seemed to have a delay in opening and the car was running hot. And I've done a waterpump on it too (that task was a BITCH)

Car Guy
06-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Two words, HEAD GASKETS...!!!

If they haven't been done already you might as well plan on doing them should you keep it, and even if they were done they could very easily fail again. Every single 3.8L will always have HG issues and the fact that it ran hot in the past is NOT GOOD. It doesn't take much for the rest of the engine's internals to get fugged even when slightly overheated.....

88Nightmare
06-14-2009, 08:05 PM
figures. Well I think it may be using coolant EVER SO SLIGHTLY so I'm sure it will need to be done soon. I'll have to run a coolant pressure test and see if its leaking down. The radiator is new, water pump is new, and all hoses are new, so if the pressure is bleeding down slightly, I'm sure its the head gaskets. So anyway, back to my question, what do ya think?

portponies
06-14-2009, 08:12 PM
I am currently looking for a `92-95 Taurus/Sable (Wagon! :devil) and have passed on numerous 'cream puffs' only because they had the 3.8L. Sure the 3.0L has no balls but it will run as long as a Honduh if you simply change the oil on time......:)

There is one for sale up here in Port. Pretty rusty, but they're only asking $600.

LMK if you want more info.

Hijack over.

Car Guy
06-14-2009, 08:14 PM
I don't like telling anyone what to do when it comes to vehicle repair but if it was mine I'd say bye-bye, and I can do a HG job on a 3.8L in my sleep......

There is one for sale up here in Port. Pretty rusty, but they're only asking $600.

LMK if you want more info.

Hijack over.

I appreciate the heads up but if I buy one it must be 1000% rust free, been looking specifically in the SW region for one......:thumbsup

jakedrew
06-14-2009, 08:18 PM
hard choice. there is a known problem with the headgaskets on that motor. That is low miles for the year.

I say if it was a 3.0 i would do the tranny, but since chances are there is a head gasket issue it is hard to choose.

I have a 94 toreass 3.0 and i couldnt ask for a better car.

Good luck

88Nightmare
06-14-2009, 08:45 PM
yeah but the problem is, for the cost of getting the transmission done, we couldn't get much of a used car....

Car Guy
06-14-2009, 09:00 PM
If you plan on replacing the transmission it would be smart to also pull the engine at the same time and go through it. That way you'd have a 'fresh' drive train that should last you the life of the vehicle.....:thumbsup

GRAMPS SS
06-14-2009, 09:09 PM

If they haven't been done already you might as well plan on doing them should you keep it, and even if they were done they could very easily fail again. Every single 3.8L will always have HG issues and the fact that it ran hot in the past is NOT GOOD. It doesn't take much for the rest of the engine's internals to get fugged even when slightly overheated.....

x2 on head gaskets Mike...the old wagon got them twice. once before we got it..then just before i got rid of it they went.......the 3.8's are junk....try to find a 3.0....even move up a few years newer...the wagons won't kill ya in price....

88Nightmare
06-14-2009, 10:38 PM
wayne, was your wagon a 3.8?

Plum Crazy
06-14-2009, 10:41 PM

My 2002 Ford "pimpstar" made it over 200,000 with factory installed headgaskets, it was on its 12 DPFE switch though.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z28/alexkosterman/Pimpstarpics-09.jpg

and as far as the Murc, thats a tough one, you probably wont get much having that type of problem. Is it drivable?? How can u tell something is wrong??

88Nightmare
06-14-2009, 10:51 PM
yup its plenty driveable. but the shifts went from smooth to kinda jolting, and when downshifting and going around a turn, it starts jolting violently. this didnt gradually happen either, it was just sudden. Came with no warning.

88Nightmare
06-14-2009, 10:52 PM
If you plan on replacing the transmission it would be smart to also pull the engine at the same time and go through it. That way you'd have a 'fresh' drive train that should last you the life of the vehicle.....:thumbsup

I DO like that idea. Full gaskets and bearings. Then inspect anything else for wear

GRAMPS SS
06-15-2009, 12:30 AM
wayne, was your wagon a 3.8?

oh yeah...it was....glad it's gone...hell by a mountainqueer...5.0....:thumbsup

Car Guy
06-15-2009, 12:48 AM
My 2002 Ford "pimpstar" made it over 200,000 with factory installed headgaskets, it was on its 12 DPFE switch though.

and as far as the Murc, thats a tough one, you probably wont get much having that type of problem. Is it drivable?? How can u tell something is wrong??

The 3.8s that came in `99 and newer Windbags were considerably better but still had issues, almost completely forgot about those......:durr

88Nightmare
06-15-2009, 02:06 AM
I don't want to make anyone butthurt, but if we go with getting a replacement vehicle, its NOT going to be a ford

Waver
06-15-2009, 07:47 AM
I don't want to make anyone butthurt, but if we go with getting a replacement vehicle, its NOT going to be a ford

And that is your choice Mike......If it were me, and other than the trans the car was fine, just replace the car....If you get another car for the price of the trans you will be finding your self in the same boat as you are in now thre months down the road. Especially since you dont want another payment.

88Nightmare
06-15-2009, 11:47 AM
well all the folks would be able to pay for a different car is $1-$2 grand. Not much out there in that price range, which is whats tempting me to have them keep this car and just fix it. The car should still have plenty of life left in it. Its a tough call to get rid of a car that has served well and been relatively reliable (other then the trans)

Waver
06-15-2009, 11:56 AM
well just to throw this out there, I know you said that it wont be a ford, but we have a real nice and clean grand marquis for 2500 with 140k on it. We are also having a stadium sale at miller park wed-sat, stop by, we will have all the heiser used cars on the premices.....I will hook you up man.

88Nightmare
06-15-2009, 12:09 PM
pm sent

BoosTT
06-15-2009, 12:14 PM
My dad had a 1995 3.8L that ford actually bought back. They was a class action lawsuit if your head gasket blew before 100k miles. He was at like 96k miles.

I wouldn't trust that engine much longer.