PDA

View Full Version : ls1 cam, spring etc install help

turbogarrett
04-01-2004, 06:35 PM
i just ordered a tr224 cam, comp 918 springs, titanium retainers, and hardened pushrods. anybody experienced with the installation? i have researched it and although it doesn't look too bad, i want to make SURE it is done right. besides i do not own a cam install tool or spring compressor. the motor is not in the car yet. if somebody could give me a hand i will make it worth your while(beer, money, lapdances at strip club of choice,etc). i have air compressor and most basic tools here. tia-garrett

number1
04-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Are you intalling them with the intake manifold on? I have seen this done on quite a few LS1's, and I would reccomend not doing it that way.

turbogarrett
04-01-2004, 06:44 PM
no, the intake mani is off.

Yooformula
04-01-2004, 07:40 PM
Yeah but the motor is out of the car, thats money! He doesnt need to pull the intake to swap cams. A bunch of magnet pens, and a rented spring compressor and he is set. Line up the cam dot to dot and you shouldnt need too much unless you wanna take the time now to properly degree it while you have the room.

BAD LS1
04-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Reporting live from Monaca PA!!
Leaving for home at 1AM local time.

Ive done springs in the car and with the heads off.... Needless to say it MUCH easier to do springs while the heads are off, the SLP spring tool is very akward, i havent ventured to try the MORE Perf tool yet and i dont have an air compressor so i used nylon rope stuffed in the cylinders and brought the engine up to TDC on that CYL so it would hold the valves up.

I recommend using pen magnets to hold the lifters up or the Joe Prince Racing lifter tool works slick as hell.

The rest of the job is pretty straight forward and fanangling the AC condensor out of the way is mandatory to getting the cam out.

Ive done several of these installs in various LS1's including my own and for other people, namely from greenbay/oshkosh area.

The TR224 cam is exactly like the cam i had ran last season that i went hella fast on for such a baby cam.

BTW there isnt a need to ever remove the intake to do a cam swap.

Baby will need some tuning after the cam;)

Tommy

lotsals1
04-02-2004, 10:22 PM
http://www.ls1howto.com/
;)

turbogarrett
04-03-2004, 12:02 PM
yeah, i've read it, just a little paranoid about messing something up!