PDA

View Full Version : Fiat Completes Purchase of Chrysler

Cryptic
06-10-2009, 12:43 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/10/AR2009061000115.html?hpid=topnews

The deal gives Chrysler, known for its minivans and pickups, access to fuel-efficient technology from Fiat,

Chrysler said in a statement last night that the sale would enable the new company to "continue work already underway on new environmentally friendly, fuel-efficient, high-quality vehicles that will become Chrysler's hallmark going forward."

This is a bit of a tangent but I gotta say this...

Perhaps I am in the minority or fit a small niche, but I don't buy a car because it gets slightly better gas millage. Why do these companies think that building econo-boxes is going to save their company, rather than continue to build what made them famous? Other companies build the same shit just leaner manufacturing. Give people what they want. So many cars are built with such in unimaginative design, who would give a rats ass if it got another 5mpg. Who in their right mind after owning a Cavalier would ever want to own another one? Build quality is what is going to bring the customer back. Ok, so now your older and have more cash. Why would you buy the "next level" car from the same manufacturer after having a foul taste in your mouth from the last one you owned.

When it comes to economy, there are cars like the TDI and the Insight that go to the extreme, and cars like those build a following. People want them. Do something and do it the best. The formula is simple.

Obviously the auto manufacturers are going to have to continue to improve MPG and HP because that helps sell cars. Build cars that people like and we'll buy them. Screw the CAFE standards.

I'm sure the white shirts have it all figured out or at least it looks good in the press release. :rolleyes:

Nick
06-10-2009, 01:15 PM
It's the company's fiduciary and world duty to evolve - that means making small, affordable, economical vehicles. Contrary to popular belief, the United States plays a very minor role in the world today as far as world commerce and production is concerned.
This is not a local issue - it's a global issue. It's not about building a car that has horsepower and looks - it's about efficiency. A vehicle is a privilege and a utility. A small percentage of the world cares about more than that, and that is the wrong target market for manufacturing vehicles in this world economy.

Fiat knows what they are doing. Chrysler and GM have made their choices in how to build cars, and it failed because it was a naive, greedy, and narrow minded business model. It's time for change because it's an evolving world, and GM and Chrysler (pre-Fiat) failed to realize that.

Cryptic
06-10-2009, 01:29 PM
You're a lemming...

Efficiency in the manufacturing of the vehicle, not just the putting a few more MPG's in pile I wouldn't want to be seen in. You think creating another vanilla car like the Civic or Corrola is going to solve a manufacturers problem?

I'm not trying to say every car has to have 400HP and look like a Vette, but it should be unique in some way that sets it apart from everything else.

No matter how long winded I try to explain my point, someone will always miss it.

"Look the new Chevrolet Civic... oooooooohh gimme that!" :rolleyes:

BOSS LX
06-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Fix it again Tony!

Cryptic
06-10-2009, 01:38 PM
EDIT.... haha! GOOD ONE!

MoCkiN U
06-10-2009, 01:40 PM
I see both points but I tend to lend my own opinion more towards cryptics view points. I understand the world view having traveled in the service like many of you have and seen whats driven in tokyo, korea, dubai, saudi arabi and let me tell you in each one the deman is waaaaay different. I could almost reach from rear bumper to front bumper on cars in korea and japan just because they dont have room to park them all and in saudi arabia I cant afford half the damn taxis that are used there......Mercedes taxis..WTF???

As for the U.S. portion of the purchase base give the consumer something they will be proud to own. Our cars are still symbols in our lives whether its where we are or where we are going. People still try to show "how" they are getting their through what car they own. Give us all options because not all want to just save MPH or have more power. Some just want value, comfort, and elegance for not such a high price.

That damned kia company has some really nice models out there now. They are well made and selling pretty well according to my buddy who sells those and vw's. Its all in how effecient the design can be and cost savings in manufacturing.

07ROUSHSTG3
06-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Fix it again Tony!

:rolf:rolf
i got it!

our new car manager has a shirt that says that, from back in his fiat days! says he never sold a fiat that made it to the owners home, LOL!

Karps TA
06-10-2009, 01:45 PM
The buying public will still dictate what cars companies need to build. Right now people are still under the impression that $4 gas is right around the corner again. And they want more efficent vehicles. Doesn't matter what the govt will want GM to build, they can build as many jelly beans as they want. As long as the buying public still has choices they'll find their way to the dealerships selling what they want.

If somebody garunteed that gas wouldn't be over $2 a gallon for the next 5 years, they wouldn't be able to keep a SUV or muscle car on the lots.

If you are scared of the govt making shitty uninspired cars, get your ass to a Ford dealership and buy Ford. Support that company as much as you can.

Personally I don't believe Obama wants to be running a car company. It would be alot easier to push his enviromental plan by inflating the price of oil, then it would be to change the cars. That's an ass backwards way of doing things IMO.

Go Speed
06-10-2009, 02:05 PM
The buying public will still dictate what cars companies need to build. Right now people are still under the impression that $4 gas is right around the corner again. And they want more efficent vehicles. Doesn't matter what the govt will want GM to build, they can build as many jelly beans as they want. As long as the buying public still has choices they'll find their way to the dealerships selling what they want.

If somebody garunteed that gas wouldn't be over $2 a gallon for the next 5 years, they wouldn't be able to keep a SUV or muscle car on the lots.
Yep

If you are scared of the govt making shitty uninspired cars, get your ass to a Ford dealership and buy Ford. Support that company as much as you can.

Yep

Personally I don't believe Obama wants to be running a car company. It would be alot easier to push his enviromental plan by inflating the price of oil, then it would be to change the cars. That's an ass backwards way of doing things IMO.

...and Yep. He couldn't do it like EVERYONE else, work your ass off, put yourself in the right place at the right time and earn your way in. No, he had to back door them, because his merit wouldn't have earned him that, only a vote of popularity.

Nick
06-10-2009, 02:37 PM
You're a lemming...

Efficiency in the manufacturing of the vehicle, not just the putting a few more MPG's in pile I wouldn't want to be seen in. You think creating another vanilla car like the Civic or Corrola is going to solve a manufacturers problem?

I'm not trying to say every car has to have 400HP and look like a Vette, but it should be unique in some way that sets it apart from everything else.

No matter how long winded I try to explain my point, someone will always miss it.

"Look the new Chevrolet Civic... oooooooohh gimme that!" :rolleyes:

Well, seems like you have all the answers. :rolf
Maybe you should take a look at Fiat's product line...

Plum Crazy
06-10-2009, 03:28 PM
i cant wait till those turds make it on our roads, it will be the 87 Renault all over again!

Cryptic
06-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, seems like you have all the answers. :rolf
Maybe you should take a look at Fiat's product line...

Wow, you really stuck it to me there. Just what is your point? Fiat makes small eco-boxes. They survived because the market in Europe demanded that type of car.

So let's look at Crystler's line-up:
The 300, Aspen, Pacifica, PT Crusier, Sebring, and the Town & Country. Just what do they plan on getting by blending the two brands together? When Mercedes and Chrysler merged did we end up with a luxurious PT Cruiser. I think not. But even the 300M is still not a Mercedes

Plum Crazy
06-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Wow, you really stuck it to me there. Just what is your point? Fiat makes small eco-boxes. They survived because the market in Europe demanded that type of car.

The 300, Aspen, Pacifica, PT Crusier, Sebring, and the Town & Country. Just what do they plan on getting by blending the two brands together? When Mercedes and Chrysler merged did we end up with a luxurious PT Cruiser. I think not. But even the 300M is still not a Mercedes

But it does have a shit ton of Benz parts in it!!!

Also, the Aspen, Pacifica, PT crusier, and the sebring convert are all dead.

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-10-2009, 06:03 PM
So, we the American people in God we trust have AMERICAN MOTORS. Ford. :)

I know where my moneys going.
Also rather help Mexico's economy than any other country far and away from this great land. I heard the Mexican assembled GM trucks and Suvs had less problems than the American assembled. :headbang

Plum Crazy
06-10-2009, 06:13 PM
So, we the American people in God we trust have AMERICAN MOTORS. Ford. :)

I know where my moneys going.
Also rather help Mexico's economy than any other country far and away from this great land. I heard the Mexican assembled GM trucks and Suvs had less problems than the American assembled. :headbang

I dont know as far as GM, but when i comes to Chrysler, id say the Canadian vehicles have more issues than US made, but again, they make the Caravan/Town and country, 300/Charger/Challenger.

Prince Valiant
06-10-2009, 09:13 PM
but I don't buy a car because it gets slightly better gas millage.
Not only slightly better mileage, but a healthy bit more expensive too.

People aren't buying chryslers (or GM and Ford for that matter) not because they aren't efficient enough...but because they've lately been poorly engineered with low rent interiors and in some cases, bad styling, and questionable quality.

Plain and simple.

Moparjim
06-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Unfortunately I see this as a exact repeat of the Renault deal of the 80s. The Fiat cars are not any higher quality or tech than the Chrysler cars - they obviously are doing the deal mainly to plop their Cinqowhateverthehell small car into our market. It reaks of the Renault Alliance lol. Fiat is not any healthier financially either - they have been losin money as well, and have 8.4 billion in debt coming due this year alone that they will have to find refinancing for. To me, how does giving them a portion of the company for free help Chrysler. Combining two cash strapped, money losing businesses does not mysteriously make a profitable one...

I hope for the best, but don't see this as any sort of real solution.

Nick
06-11-2009, 11:32 AM

I wasn't trying to stick anything to you.

I'm sorry but you clearly don't understand business. not even going to discuss this with you anymore.

Moparjim
06-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Duplicate post somehow...