PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Now GM is just stupid!

03CVLX
06-10-2009, 10:19 AM
From Leftlanenews.com

GM trims Pontiac to just one model for 2010
By Andrew Ganz

In its last year in existence, the historic Pontiac brand won’t go out with much of a bang. Parent company General Motors has announced that only the Toyota-built Pontiac Vibe will be available to consumers hoping to get their last taste of the more than 80-year-old “driving excitement” brand.

Pontiac had already announced the departure of the performance-oriented G8flagship, but we’ve now learned that the brand’s two rebadged models, the G3(Chevrolet Aveo-based) and G5 (Chevrolet Cobalt-based) will be killed off for good and the mainstream G6 sedan will only be available to government, corporate and rental fleet buyers.

The Vibe, built in California by the GM-Toyota NUMMI joint venture, continues mostly unchanged for the new model year. Air conditioning will now be standard, instead of optional, a luggage rack shows up as an option on all-wheel-drive variants and a new Ignition Orange exterior shade replaces Mystic Blue metallic.

Come on the VIBE..... What are they thinking.

Plum Crazy
06-10-2009, 10:21 AM
thats the dumbest shit ever. I cant believe they killed the G8

Karps TA
06-10-2009, 10:23 AM
They are thinking, you know the only car Pontiac has that continues to sell well the the Vibe, maybe we should keep that.

The G8 may be a great car, but nobody is buying it.

jbiscuit
06-10-2009, 10:27 AM
G8s are really cool but agree...you sure don't see many of them

Waver
06-10-2009, 10:30 AM
They are thinking, you know the only car Pontiac has that continues to sell well the the Vibe, maybe we should keep that.

That and the Vibe is the cheapest for gm to build right now, since it is the same as the matrix, just with a different front cover....

they did the same with olds, trimming it down to just the Alero

Karps TA
06-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Exactly. Toyota does all the work they just slap on a different nose and a couple badges. They'd be stupid to get rid of the Vibe.

Pontiac dealers have tons of G8's sitting on their lots and even with almost $4K in incentives right now they aren't selling.

03CVLX
06-10-2009, 10:51 AM
I guess I am mostly surprised that they are making the G6 fleet only. Seems kinda dumb to me, if your gonna cancel it just cancel it.

jamest
06-10-2009, 11:16 AM
My guess it has something to do with a contract with Toyota. If they killed it a year early there would be financial penalties for breach of contract. With the Obama administration running GM, their influence of high MPG/low carbon emissions type of cars will be extensive. As much as Obama wants to say he doesn't want to run a car company, you can't deny that there will be some back room "talks" about which products will carry forward.

Exitspeed
06-10-2009, 11:44 AM

At least someone gets it.

jbiscuit
06-10-2009, 11:48 AM
As much as Obama wants to say he doesn't want to run a car company, you can't deny that there will be some back room "talks" about which products will carry forward.

He's full of sh1t if he even says he doesn't want to run a car company. This is a perfect outlet for him to execute his fuel efficient vehicle initiatives.

Cryptic
06-10-2009, 12:47 PM
case in point.... see my Fiat/Chrysler thread (http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39004)

He's full of sh1t if he even says he doesn't want to run a car company. This is a perfect outlet for him to execute his fuel efficient vehicle initiatives.

Yeah because that will save them :rolf

Al
06-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Come on the VIBE..... What are they thinking.

The Vibe sells and it is decent on fuel. What more do you expect?

They should just call it the Chevy Vibe and get it over with.

Karps TA
06-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Funny I post that about the G8 and one of my best friends emails me that he just bought a G8 GXP.

Pretty funny timing.

Cryptic
06-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Some white shirt is trying to save his job because his product was profitable so why should he go down with the rest

DurtyKurty
06-10-2009, 03:24 PM
I guess I am mostly surprised that they are making the G6 fleet only. Seems kinda dumb to me, if your gonna cancel it just cancel it.

A bit of an ironic comment coming from a guy with a Crown Victoria (http://www.internetautoguide.com/new-cars/03-int/ford/crown-victoria/index.html).

03CVLX
06-10-2009, 03:55 PM
A bit of an ironic comment coming from a guy with a Crown Victoria (http://www.internetautoguide.com/new-cars/03-int/ford/crown-victoria/index.html).

Yeah, and your point is valid. If it wasn't for the Police car business Ford getsn this car would have been dead 10 years ago. I bought mine used cause it was dirt cheap.

SLONOMA
06-10-2009, 10:18 PM
I think the 4 door gto is a great car but with nobody buying any pontiacs, the only G8's I see are the ones GM reps are driving when they show up to my dealer!

LEWETHETIGER73
06-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Personaly I think gm can go straight to hell for even thinking about getting rid of Pontiac :flipoff2: THEY SHOULD JUST KILL OFF ALL OF THEIR LINEUPS AND JUST SELL GM'S :fire

udlose98
06-10-2009, 11:08 PM
I just saw they are offering 0% financing for 72 months on the GXP....this may be too good to pass up.....

MurphysLaw88GT
06-11-2009, 10:43 AM
They are waiting for the release of the 2010 Pontiac Trabant to round out the lineup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant