PDA

View Full Version : Another offer on a house

pOrk
06-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Not that anyone cares, but I finally found a place in Brookfield with a 2+ car garage in my price range. The price dropped 38 grand today, so I put another over asking price offer and should hear back my Friday :banana1:

Mom called me today after watching house hunters and said the average couple looking to buy a house looks at between 3 and 7 houses before buying. I wish that was the case, I would be moved in and have the place half way remodeled by now :rolf This is the 5th property I have had enough interest in to write an offer, and this is the 3rd that I've had to write an offer over asking price. I'm hoping this time around that I was fast enough on the draw, and contingency free should be a huge help since it is a forclosure and been on the market at the previous price for 209 days. Wish my luck :thumbsup

Holeshot
06-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Eric the general rule of thumb is to offer 10 % lower and let them counter. Yeah the housing market is picking up a tad but it does every spring. don't bid over it makes you look desperate and willing to make unnecessary sacrifices to the owners. Take your time and let the owners come to you.

pOrk
06-09-2009, 01:05 AM
^ That rule only applies to a standard home sale, this is a foreclosure that is priced to sell.

I don't want to disclose the numbers until the offer is accepted online, but its cheaper then it should be to begin with.

hrsp
06-09-2009, 02:34 AM
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

wrath
06-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Are you still looking in that area you were looking before? I think I know the house you're eyeballing. I don't want to say which neighborhood in case someone else on here tries to snipe it. It's a pretty nice one for the dollar amount. Good luck.

When I've tried to buy action-priced homes I always lose it to some schmuck with a cash offer. Last house someone paid $10k less than asking price with a cash offer and I offered $25k more than them.

You should watch the foreclosure sales at the county courthouse. It'll give you ones to watch for hitting the market. Only problem is that banks aren't listing them right away as the market is flooded with foreclosures. Our target neighborhood has three listed foreclosures right now and there are nine sitting vacant already foreclosed on. But there's probably only 200 houses in the whole neighborhood.

Eric the general rule of thumb is to offer 10 % lower and let them counter. Yeah the housing market is picking up a tad but it does every spring. don't bid over it makes you look desperate and willing to make unnecessary sacrifices to the owners. Take your time and let the owners come to you.

I've tried that. I get ignored or at best rejected. Now I wait until they drop their price and offer them 5% less than asking. Then they usually counter something stupid and I walk away.

michelle
06-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Best of luck! Hope you get it!

jbiscuit
06-09-2009, 07:49 AM
hope you have a hefty reserve of cash ready to go through that entire house. They can turn into a good investment if you are willing to do all the labor, just be prepared.

Exitspeed
06-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Good luck. It is a great time to buy these foreclosures...as long as your handyand you have a lotta cash aside to remodel them.

My wife has showed sooooo many of these houses and people (not saying you Pork, just people in general) don't realize what they are getting into. I went with her to show a couple for a second time a house in East Troy. It needed A LOT of work. Plus it had a in ground pool that they removed the filtering system. The bank said they would credit the buyers $5k for a new one, but the thing could cost $10,000 and the buyer would have to pay the rest.

And 3-7 is on the low end now-a-days. Reason why is because buyers are being OVERLY picky. Sure there's great deals out there, but a lotta people are expecting a Fox Point mansion for the price of a Milwaukee bungalo and that is still not the case out there. Hell my wife has showed people LITERALLY multiple dozens of homes. To make it worse is she's showed people 12+ homes and then they didn't even buy. THAT sucks and it's frustrating. But that's the business.

95 TA - The Beast
06-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Wow, that is the first time I heard anyone try to get sympathy for a real-estate agent... Then again it is your wife and understandable, but, at the same time, you have GOT to be kidding me that people are just being TOO PICKY???!?!?!

I say SCREW THAT!

People spend a TON of money on a house and if all things aren't EXACTLY what they want for what they want to spend, then who is ANYONE to bitch about it???

I understand it is your wifes job and income for her, but if the homes are NOT what these people want then too bad.

That is what I hate about agents, salesman, dealers, etc, in that they just want to make a buck, could care less if you are getting the best for your money (and usually it is in THIER favor if you are NOT), and/or what you really want, and then you hear these schmucks bitch and moan if they can't make the sale.

I have ZERO problem with people making money off of putting effort into making a sale, but FAR too many times it is a matter of making TOO MUCH and delivering TOO LITTLE, or putting minimal effort in and still making a hefty commission.

Your comment about people being "too picky" is a PRIME example of that. Now, there is no control by your wife as to what houses are available, and she is doing the best she can, no doubt, but to bitch because the houses aren't what people want???

I guess that is why it is called the 'free-market' and rarely is it a 'fair-market'??? :rolleyes:

4eyedstang
06-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I just got an excepted offer after shopping for a house for about 6 months. this was our 7Th offer and I just found out yesterday at the bank that interest rates are on the rise i just locked in @ 5.75% a month ago it was 4.5% :punch:

pOrk
06-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Are you still looking in that area you were looking before? I think I know the house you're eyeballing. I don't want to say which neighborhood in case someone else on here tries to snipe it. It's a pretty nice one for the dollar amount. Good luck.

When I've tried to buy action-priced homes I always lose it to some schmuck with a cash offer. Last house someone paid $10k less than asking price with a cash offer and I offered $25k more than them.

You should watch the foreclosure sales at the county courthouse. It'll give you ones to watch for hitting the market. Only problem is that banks aren't listing them right away as the market is flooded with foreclosures. Our target neighborhood has three listed foreclosures right now and there are nine sitting vacant already foreclosed on. But there's probably only 200 houses in the whole neighborhood.

I've tried that. I get ignored or at best rejected. Now I wait until they drop their price and offer them 5% less than asking. Then they usually counter something stupid and I walk away.

Thats how I missed out on a few of my offers, I had the better offer but investors have big cash with a heavy loaded offer and it takes me out almost every time. This house needs flooring, a roof, and some fancy paint work. Not bad considering its well below assessed, being it has no basement I think that will work to my advantage since MOST people in this area want / look for / need a basement for storing all of their crap. Lucky for me, if I don't use something anymore I sell it instead of store it so I don't need all the space :durr

hope you have a hefty reserve of cash ready to go through that entire house. They can turn into a good investment if you are willing to do all the labor, just be prepared.

I'm a laborer by trade, I can do anything and anything I don't know I can learn. This place will probably need 10 grand invested before I would be happy living there, and I sold all my toys to have the money I will need to make a house my home so I should be good to go.

Good luck. It is a great time to buy these foreclosures...as long as your handyand you have a lotta cash aside to remodel them.

My wife has showed sooooo many of these houses and people (not saying you Pork, just people in general) don't realize what they are getting into. I went with her to show a couple for a second time a house in East Troy. It needed A LOT of work. Plus it had a in ground pool that they removed the filtering system. The bank said they would credit the buyers $5k for a new one, but the thing could cost $10,000 and the buyer would have to pay the rest.

And 3-7 is on the low end now-a-days. Reason why is because buyers are being OVERLY picky. Sure there's great deals out there, but a lotta people are expecting a Fox Point mansion for the price of a Milwaukee bungalo and that is still not the case out there. Hell my wife has showed people LITERALLY multiple dozens of homes. To make it worse is she's showed people 12+ homes and then they didn't even buy. THAT sucks and it's frustrating. But that's the business.

I had a realtor tell me I was being too picky, so I dropped her like a turd in a port-a-john. No offense, but its not my fault the realtor is showing me properties that have NONE of the things I have told him/her I am looking for, nor is it my fault that half of these houses have foundation problems that I really don't want to deal with, especially since alot of them are at the top of my budget to begin with. I've looked at over 40 houses, maybe 50. I have been through 4 different realtor's because from my expierence, none of them want to listen to help me find MY home. They want to sell you something they can make money on, which is NOT in my best interest.

I am working with Barb Miller of Shorewest right now, using my loan agents recomendation and she is easily the best realtor I've had so far. The hardest part with real estate IMO is finding a realtor that is going to work FOR you.

pOrk
06-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the good luck wishes, I need them! I am getting sick of seeing all the dumps in Waukesha, Brookfield, Stallis, Tosa, Greenfield, blahblabl...

Exitspeed
06-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Wow, that is the first time I heard anyone try to get sympathy for a real-estate agent... Then again it is your wife and understandable, but, at the same time, you have GOT to be kidding me that people are just being TOO PICKY???!?!?!

I say SCREW THAT!

People spend a TON of money on a house and if all things aren't EXACTLY what they want for what they want to spend, then who is ANYONE to bitch about it???

I understand it is your wifes job and income for her, but if the homes are NOT what these people want then too bad.

That is what I hate about agents, salesman, dealers, etc, in that they just want to make a buck, could care less if you are getting the best for your money (and usually it is in THIER favor if you are NOT), and/or what you really want, and then you hear these schmucks bitch and moan if they can't make the sale.

I have ZERO problem with people making money off of putting effort into making a sale, but FAR too many times it is a matter of making TOO MUCH and delivering TOO LITTLE, or putting minimal effort in and still making a hefty commission.

Your comment about people being "too picky" is a PRIME example of that. Now, there is no control by your wife as to what houses are available, and she is doing the best she can, no doubt, but to bitch because the houses aren't what people want???

I guess that is why it is called the 'free-market' and rarely is it a 'fair-market'??? :rolleyes:

Thats how I missed out on a few of my offers, I had the better offer but investors have big cash with a heavy loaded offer and it takes me out almost every time. This house needs flooring, a roof, and some fancy paint work. Not bad considering its well below assessed, being it has no basement I think that will work to my advantage since MOST people in this area want / look for / need a basement for storing all of their crap. Lucky for me, if I don't use something anymore I sell it instead of store it so I don't need all the space :durr

I'm a laborer by trade, I can do anything and anything I don't know I can learn. This place will probably need 10 grand invested before I would be happy living there, and I sold all my toys to have the money I will need to make a house my home so I should be good to go.

I had a realtor tell me I was being too picky, so I dropped her like a turd in a port-a-john. No offense, but its not my fault the realtor is showing me properties that have NONE of the things I have told him/her I am looking for, nor is it my fault that half of these houses have foundation problems that I really don't want to deal with, especially since alot of them are at the top of my budget to begin with. I've looked at over 40 houses, maybe 50. I have been through 4 different realtor's because from my expierence, none of them want to listen to help me find MY home. They want to sell you something they can make money on, which is NOT in my best interest.

I am working with Barb Miller of Shorewest right now, using my loan agents recomendation and she is easily the best realtor I've had so far. The hardest part with real estate IMO is finding a realtor that is going to work FOR you.

Lol. She doesn't need anyone's sympathy. My wife is a top producer in the state. She's in the top 8 percent or something last time she checked. She does her job better then 99% of Realtors out there because she goes that extra mile. Especially with new buyers that need the attention. This is one of the reasons she was ONLY down a million from the previous year. This year she's actually ahead of a lot of even higher producers that she never thought she would see.

I'm not saying my wife would not show someone 25 homes because, trust me, she does. I was merely putting her job in my perspective. And I was comparing buyers now versus 5 years ago. It's totally different right now. That was my main point.

I also never said she "bitches" about people looking at too many homes.

There's a looottta shitty real estate agents out there. I feel bad for a buyer that doesn't know someone personally that is good because you can waste valuable time with a shitty agent.

You should get a good deal. No doubt about that. I'm just saying, some people are expecting Fox Point mansions for the price of a Milwaukee bungalow. Which, even in this market, is not realistic.

97z2801ss
06-09-2009, 02:50 PM
eric where in brookfield is it?

wrath
06-09-2009, 03:05 PM
That basementless house is a bit more than you wanted to spend, no? There aren't many to choose from that aren't modulars in Waukesha.

If this one falls through, have you looked at the one on Bel-ayr in Waukesha? You don't seem to be afraid of work and it needs a lot of work. There is one on Sherryl also.

The whole mortgage rates jumping up thing has me kind of down. Was looking at a $225k house in west Waukesha with $4700 in taxes that would work for us. But that's going to be $1200/month plus $400/month for taxes. Renting half a duplex is starting to look more enticing again.

PB86MCSS
06-09-2009, 05:39 PM
I think more people look between 10-20 homes....3-7 even in a great market or economy is way low, IMO.

LIL EVO
06-09-2009, 07:05 PM
I looked at four houses on the first "day" of searching with my buyers agent. Picked the third one and signed the paperwork the same day. Been here two years and have no regrets!

Lash
06-09-2009, 10:48 PM
I have been through 4 different realtor's because from my expierence, none of them want to listen to help me find MY home. They want to sell you something they can make money on, which is NOT in my best interest.

Did you try the one I recommended?

88Nightmare
06-09-2009, 11:03 PM
shit, 11 years ago when my folks were shopping for a house, they looked at over 6 houses as I recall. That was 11 years ago

buttersgt350
06-10-2009, 03:47 PM
That basementless house is a bit more than you wanted to spend, no? There aren't many to choose from that aren't modulars in Waukesha.

If this one falls through, have you looked at the one on Bel-ayr in Waukesha? You don't seem to be afraid of work and it needs a lot of work. There is one on Sherryl also.

The whole mortgage rates jumping up thing has me kind of down. Was looking at a $225k house in west Waukesha with $4700 in taxes that would work for us. But that's going to be $1200/month plus $400/month for taxes. Renting half a duplex is starting to look more enticing again.
i live right down the road from the one on bel-ayr. is it the one with the 1 car garage almost under the house? if so i do think it needs alot of work. good luck finding a house.

wrath
06-10-2009, 05:36 PM
i live right down the road from the one on bel-ayr. is it the one with the 1 car garage almost under the house? if so i do think it needs alot of work. good luck finding a house.

It does need lots of work. And it's under transmission lines. But it can probably be had for cheap. I'd cut off the garage, fill it in, and build a new garage on top of where the old one was. It's on its way to foreclosure. The "floor" for the neighborhood seems to be ~$155k going by the ones that sold on Aldoro and Bluebird.

buttersgt350
06-10-2009, 06:32 PM
the one on aldoro that just sold for 154k is right across the street from me. it makes me throw up in my mouth to think that in april of 06 we paid 180k for our house, but that was the going rate in this area back then. i heard that house needed some work though.

wrath
06-10-2009, 06:49 PM
the one on aldoro that just sold for 154k is right across the street from me. it makes me throw up in my mouth to think that in april of 06 we paid 180k for our house, but that was the going rate in this area back then. i heard that house needed some work though.

It needs a lot of work. It was/is the eyesore of the street. I suspect you're probably still alright. It's a nice neighborhood as long as you're not on Sylvan, it's just as you know... a lot of identical houses on smallish lots. The 'hood has taken a beating but not as bad as across Grandview from it.

UnderPSI
06-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I think I looked at 35-40 houses. I am glad I did too. The more you look at the better you understand what to look for. I was absolutely sure then when I saw the house I am in now that I wanted it.

PB86MCSS
06-10-2009, 09:41 PM
I think I looked at 35-40 houses. I am glad I did too. The more you look at the better you understand what to look for. I was absolutely sure then when I saw the house I am in now that I wanted it.

That's my opinion too...not that you can't find the right house out of the box but the more you see, the better idea you know what to look for and what you really want. I thought we found 1-2 ideal ones but we ended up with one we liked alot more.

HRSEPLA
06-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Looked good today Pork, hope you get it!:thumbsup

pOrk
06-12-2009, 07:30 PM
F everyone with money

This is the 3rd damn house I put a GOOD offer on that was sold to an investor, how is anyone supposed to buy a house with these knobs come in, offer the same as me in CASH and turn around to flip it in a better market for more money.

This market is crap

Holeshot
06-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Sorry Eric. Maybe it wasn't meant to be. Better luck on the next home you bid on.

pOrk
06-12-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm so frustrated its to the point where I am looking at apartments again. I hate living at home, and obviously me getting a house isn't going to happen anytime soon :\

I'm sick of looking at houses, putting tons of effort into researching, pulling my friends from their busy lives to look over heating / plumbing / etc only to miss out because someone is paying cash instead of a pre-approved loan. 20% down isn't enough, only way to buy is cash it seems like.

Holeshot
06-12-2009, 08:19 PM
What about a buyer agent Eric ? Its not going to cost you anything.

95mustang302
06-12-2009, 08:21 PM
pork, if you don't mind me asking where was this house located?

pOrk
06-12-2009, 09:34 PM
What do you mean by buyer Agent?

This one was in Brookfield, 142nd and Capital

Holeshot
06-12-2009, 09:44 PM
What do you mean by buyer Agent?

This one was in Brookfield, 142nd and Capital

You Hire a agent to find you a home. they set up the showings ... If you buy what they find you they get a percentage of the sale from the selling agent or owner. If you want a good agent PM me She a good friend and could use the money.

Lash
06-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Maybe it's time to stop looking at foreclosures.

Lash
06-12-2009, 10:39 PM
You Hire a agent to find you a home. they set up the showings ... If you buy what they find you they get a percentage of the sale from the selling agent or owner.

Thats what we did when we bought our first house.

pOrk
06-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Thats basically what I have, an Lash thats pretty much all there is in my price range.

jbiscuit
06-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Maybe it's time to stop looking at foreclosures.

ding ding

95mustang302
06-13-2009, 09:45 AM
ahh I saw that house, that was the one with no basement? you'll find something better, it sucks being the "little" guy right now because people will swoop in and take it. I've had it happen to me, and its discouraging, but there will be something. Once summer is over, fall and winter less people will be on the market most likely, and you will find something. You have to keep in mind there are a TON of foreclosures that haven't even hit the market because there is such a glut of inventory right now, and also now that the moratorium on foreclosures has ended, there will be more coming to light.

pOrk
06-14-2009, 02:16 PM
^ That was the one.

Putting in another offer today, so here we go again. This one is in Tosa, better area ( Not on major road ) and it has a half basement with a big yard. Hopefully I can build another garage, as the attached garage is kinda small ( 1.5 ). Only downside is high taxes in tosa.

Edit: I love Tosa, building on a lot in Tosa is easy. Restrictions are outbuildings less then 11% of total property, and less then 35% of total buildings including house :) Half acre makes this easy.

95mustang302
06-14-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm going through the same thing right now, I put an offer in on a house in waukesha, and I jumped as soon as it hit the market, and I'm a nervous wreck right now about it. It sucks with these people who can come in and just say here's cash, personally I think its bs.

pOrk
06-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Especially since they aren't buying for themselves, but sitting on them until the market turns around and making a killing.

I shouldn't talk since I do this with cars, everyone has to make a living somehow.

95mustang302
06-14-2009, 02:49 PM
true, but all thats going to happen is them driving up prices again, and were going to end up back at square one in a few years.

pOrk
06-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Likely yes. Thats why I'm trying to buy now :) That, and I want that free money!

95mustang302
06-14-2009, 03:03 PM
I just need to get out of my parents house and I find the idea of rending fundamentally flawed.

pOrk
06-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Same boat that I'm in, I love my parents but I just cant live here anymore. I'm too old to be at home, and I have too much shit to not have my own garage! Maybe its my bike problem, no such thing as a tool problem so I can't count that :)

PB86MCSS
06-14-2009, 11:09 PM
I doubt prices will jump up to levels they were for quite some time. When buying try not to expect a gain in equity due the price increasing more than inflation, IMO.

It stinks for the smaller guy when buying foreclosures but money talks, it's like that with anything. I'm not claiming to be an expert but anyone trying to flip houses in this market is taking a pretty large risk, more than usual.

hrsp
06-14-2009, 11:54 PM
I take it you aren't interested in a condo? Not your own "house" but it beats renting....

lordairgtar
06-14-2009, 11:58 PM
I take it you aren't interested in a condo? Not your own "house" but it beats renting....
But if you are a car guy, condos are teh suck!

pOrk
06-15-2009, 04:27 AM
Condo would need to have a garage, allow big dogs, and have a park or field nearby to take the dog. We are planning on getting a great dane and down the road ( year or so ) a catahoula. Most condos are pretty small too, atleast the ones in my price range.

wrath
06-15-2009, 07:48 PM
That sucks. Same problem I'm having. I suspect the housing market is going to go back to stagnating. Interest rates have climbed so you're paying another buck per thousand financed. On a $200k house that means your payment that bought the $200k house is now only going to buy a $180k house.

I have one last house to go look at in Waukesha then I'm starting to look at renting a fawkin' duplex. $1300 for a 2 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage is starting to sound enticing versus the unknown.

jbiscuit
06-15-2009, 08:20 PM
$1300 for a 2 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage is starting to sound enticing versus the unknown.

renting for $1300/month is retarded. I'm sorry. I don't know how people can shell out that kind of rent money :rolleyes:

Holeshot
06-15-2009, 08:25 PM
^^^ QTF Im paying 1400 for my house. 3BR ranch 1 & 1/2 bath 2 car attached and I can do what ever the fuck I want to it.

michelle
06-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Have you ever looked into the Rent-to-Own option? I know that because a rather popular option since the housing market went as it did.

Exitspeed
06-15-2009, 08:50 PM
We aren't going to see a market like we saw a few years ago for a long time.

We won't see flipping being done anything like it was back in 05.

It might be 10 years before home prices start to go up significantly.

wrath
06-15-2009, 10:35 PM
^^^ QTF Im paying 1400 for my house. 3BR ranch 1 & 1/2 bath 2 car attached and I can do what ever the fuck I want to it.

Does that include taxes? In Waukesha, a $200,000 house has ~$4,000/taxes or ~$325/month for taxes.

I'm paying $1017 for my 2 bedroom 1.75 bath apartment in northwest Waukesha right now. It's about 950 square feet. It includes 1 underground parking spot. $25/month of that is from a pet rental fee.

I can find places cheaper to live but they either require no pets or are in the ghetto. I won't live somewhere where I have to worry about someone stealing my shit. And I'm not getting rid of the dog.

It's about $5.85/$1000 financed right now for a 30 year fixed. A month ago it was about $5.10/$1000 financed. So if I were to say borrow $185,000 this month it'd been like borrowing $205,000 last month. Should have bought a house last month if I were going to buy one. It's not like sellers are going to magically lower their price $20k. If I borrow $185k I'm basically putting $100/month towards principal. And my taxes are going to be $325. So if my payment is say ~$1100 P&I - $100 P + $325 = $1325 to rent a similar place I'm coming out ahead renting. And I can leave without having to find someone to buy it so that offsets any perceived benefit by being able to deduct the interest and property taxes from my income tax liability. Plus, Douchebag Doyle gives me a maximum of $300 off my state income taxes if I spend $10,000 in rent!

If you compare Census Data (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/55/5584250.html) with the Trulia Listing/Sale Price chart (http://www.trulia.com/home_prices/Wisconsin/Waukesha_County-heat_map/) you can see that there is a severe disconnect between what people make and how much housing costs compared to the rest of the country and especially the rest of the midwest. The Trulia page shows the disconnect between the median listing price and the median sales price. To me, that means people aren't buying expensive houses because they can't afford to. Up until the last year or so the median sales price has been ~$250,000 even though the average family income is only $60,000.

I know the exact despair Eric is feeling.

lordairgtar
06-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Condo would need to have a garage, allow big dogs, and have a park or field nearby to take the dog. We are planning on getting a great dane and down the road ( year or so ) a catahoula. Most condos are pretty small too, atleast the ones in my price range.
Catahoula? Had to look that one up as I never heard of it before. Cool looking dog. Otherwise known as a Louisiana Hog Hound or a Leopard dog.

Exitspeed
06-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Does that include taxes? In Waukesha, a $200,000 house has ~$4,000/taxes or ~$325/month for taxes.

I'm paying $1017 for my 2 bedroom 1.75 bath apartment in northwest Waukesha right now. It's about 950 square feet. It includes 1 underground parking spot. $25/month of that is from a pet rental fee.

I can find places cheaper to live but they either require no pets or are in the ghetto. I won't live somewhere where I have to worry about someone stealing my shit. And I'm not getting rid of the dog.

It's about $5.85/$1000 financed right now for a 30 year fixed. A month ago it was about $5.10/$1000 financed. So if I were to say borrow $185,000 this month it'd been like borrowing $205,000 last month. Should have bought a house last month if I were going to buy one. It's not like sellers are going to magically lower their price $20k. If I borrow $185k I'm basically putting $100/month towards principal. And my taxes are going to be $325. So if my payment is say ~$1100 P&I - $100 P + $325 = $1325 to rent a similar place I'm coming out ahead renting. And I can leave without having to find someone to buy it so that offsets any perceived benefit by being able to deduct the interest and property taxes from my income tax liability. Plus, Douchebag Doyle gives me a maximum of $300 off my state income taxes if I spend $10,000 in rent!

If you compare Census Data (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/55/5584250.html) with the Trulia Listing/Sale Price chart (http://www.trulia.com/home_prices/Wisconsin/Waukesha_County-heat_map/) you can see that there is a severe disconnect between what people make and how much housing costs compared to the rest of the country and especially the rest of the midwest. The Trulia page shows the disconnect between the median listing price and the median sales price. To me, that means people aren't buying expensive houses because they can't afford to. Up until the last year or so the median sales price has been ~$250,000 even though the average family income is only $60,000.

I know the exact despair Eric is feeling.

I pay $1600/ month for my mortgage AND taxes. We bought right at the peak of the market, but hey we had the money. Still...

I'm in New Berlin, my house is 3200 sq feet, 3 bedrooms, and two full baths, and my yard is 3/4 of an acre. If I had to put my house on the market right now in this shitty market I'd get at the minimum $275k. But we've stuck all of our savings into remodeling the home. We did 95% of the work our selves though which has saved us over $50k in labor charges at my last calculation. Owning a home is tough and a lotta work, but the shit is mine and i can do whatever i want here and not have to worry about people above me or below me or any other hassle from renting.

Fuck renting.

We rented for 2.5 years at the Reserve in Tosa. Our rent there was $1200 and that was with a discount. One of the nicest apartment complexes in the area. Michel Redd lived there when we did. It's all lawyers and professionals. But DAMN were they some dickheads to live around. Completely inconsiderate of people around them. Fuckin typical.

Again, fuck renting.

u_say_go
06-16-2009, 08:18 AM
renting for $1300/month is retarded. I'm sorry. I don't know how people can shell out that kind of rent money :rolleyes:

yeah, that's insane. I can understand why some people rent, but to throw $1300 away each month on something that will never be yours is just stupid.

Eric, since you work in WB, why not look for a place out here? Nice homes for a reasonable price, great neighbors, relatively low taxes.

pOrk
06-16-2009, 08:21 AM
^ 3200 sq ft? WOW, thats fucking huge. A BIG place in my price range peaks 1600 sq ft, and thats a fixer upper :)

lordairgtar, they are pretty tuff looking dogs aren't they? Basically look like a mix of Pit / American Bulldog, with hearts of German Shepard's. Not many people have them around here, they make great guard dogs.

pOrk
06-16-2009, 08:23 AM
yeah, that's insane. I can understand why some people rent, but to throw $1300 away each month on something that will never be yours is just stupid.

Eric, since you work in WB, why not look for a place out here? Nice homes for a reasonable price, great neighbors, relatively low taxes.

I hate my job, and buying closer to the city makes me THINK I might get my job back at Fireside. :rolf

My job was awesome before I got forced to 3rd shift, worried if today will be my last day ( they lay 4-5 people off each week ).

Exitspeed
06-16-2009, 08:46 AM
^ 3200 sq ft? WOW, thats fucking huge. A BIG place in my price range peaks 1600 sq ft, and thats a fixer upper :)

lordairgtar, they are pretty tuff looking dogs aren't they? Basically look like a mix of Pit / American Bulldog, with hearts of German Shepard's. Not many people have them around here, they make great guard dogs.

Yeah it's huge, but when I say we bought a "fixer upper" I mean we bought a "FIXER UPPER". Every last room in the house was original from 1968 and hadn't been maintained in 15 years. It was unlivable when we bought it. It's nice now though that we have the main floor completely remodeled. It's like living in a new construction. I guess that's one benefit of buying something that you can completely gut.

Just get ready to call in favors from all your friends and fam. I always joke with people and say "you aren't going to talk me ever again, are you?". lol

pOrk
06-16-2009, 03:14 PM
My Grandapa is 76 years old and NEEDS to be busy constantly to be happy, and he is only working part time this summer so he keeps telling me to buy something for him to work on. Haha.

I have a lot of work ahead of me in my price range, and I'm looking forward to it. Can make it the way I want right away

Exitspeed
06-16-2009, 08:38 PM
My Grandapa is 76 years old and NEEDS to be busy constantly to be happy, and he is only working part time this summer so he keeps telling me to buy something for him to work on. Haha.

I have a lot of work ahead of me in my price range, and I'm looking forward to it. Can make it the way I want right away

That's the attitude you need to have going into it. Good luck. Home Improvement is tons o fun!

turbogarrett
06-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Buy a duplex, I've seen some really good prices on multifamily properties.

Live in one half, rent the other. You will be far ahead financially vs. the guy who bought a single family home in just a few years.

jbiscuit
06-16-2009, 09:56 PM
^ also good advice. If you buy in the right area and can change good coin for the rented half, you can come out really well.

pOrk
06-16-2009, 11:45 PM
I originally wanted to get a duplex but I don't want to put that kind of weight on my back right now. I looked at a few but most of the cheap ones in good areas are just out of my price range

pOrk
06-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Well this last one I put an offer on in Tosa got outbid, then it rained like hell and when they came back with inspector they freaked out about the water in the basement and took off running with their cash offer. SOOOO looks like I bought a house, should find out next week if its a done deal and have some more papers to sign but it sounds promising thus far.

Whos ready to help paint and lay flooring? haha

SSDude
06-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Any reasonable cure for keeping the water out of the basement?
Just water not sewage i hope.
What neighborhood?

Lash
06-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Well this last one I put an offer on in Tosa got outbid, then it rained like hell and when they came back with inspector they freaked out about the water in the basement and took off running with their cash offer. SOOOO looks like I bought a house, should find out next week if its a done deal and have some more papers to sign but it sounds promising thus far.

Whos ready to help paint and lay flooring? haha

How old is this house? Foundation work can get pretty pricey.

jbiscuit
06-25-2009, 09:54 PM
where is the water coming in? Through the walls or basement windows? I don't blame the other party for wanting out. Water issues can be a headache and $$$

Doc Brown
06-27-2009, 01:47 AM
to p0rk: I read through this thread and felt compelled to join if for no other reason than to share my experience with you and hopefully spare you from trouble down the road. Be VERY careful buying a foreclosure! I can speak from current experience. Let me just say this... my wife and I were in the same boat you're in - looking for our first house, wanted it to be in a decent neighborhood, working with a limited budget and looking at foreclosures. We found a place on the southside of Milwaukee and moved in the beginning of November. Hunkered down for the winter and when April finally rolled around, so did the problems. So much so that we had to hire a real estate lawyer and cannot speak about the specifics should this go to court. But instead of enjoying our first house and going about slowly fixing it up like you'd expect to do with a normal foreclosure property, we get to look forward to possibly a good year or so of legal proceedings, with no guarantee that our issues will be resolved in our favor. Sure, our issue might be the exception and not the rule, but no one should have to go through what we are going through, especially not first-time homeowners. This experience has soured my view of home ownership so much and so quickly that I wish we never stopped renting in the first place.

Hopefully your experience will be different. Good luck!

pOrk
06-27-2009, 08:25 AM
This is a 50's built home, and the part of the basement that is leaking is somewhat finished and for obvious reasons I wasn't going to poke through they drywall to find out. The foundation was repaired and braced on the unfinished side on the south end, and the south side of the basement looks to be in pretty good shape. There wasn't standing water, and it wasn't sewage as everything smelt pretty clean besides a bit muggy. The house is assessed at 191, and my accepted verbal offer was 99. I might be getting in a bit over my head, and I might be getting a killer deal. This is the house:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/2ndbedroom.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/3rdbedroom.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/3rdbedroom2.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/basementbath.jpg

Finished part of basement, carpet was damp:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/basementfireplace.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/basementrec.jpg

Unfinished part of basement:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/basementunfin.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/basementunfin2.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/bedroomstowardslaundry.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/fireplace.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/frontdoor.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/livingroom.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/kitchen.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/masterbath.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/mstrbdrtokitchen.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/mstrbedfull.jpg

small garage:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/smallgarage.jpg

jbiscuit
06-27-2009, 08:40 AM
it doesn't look too bad...about what you would expect for a house for $99k. You can tell there is/has been water in that basement...often. Look at the dark corner on the foundation wall. Is that mold? Looks dark around the sump pump also. Water. You could basically just gut the basement to see what you have, patch any cracks, clean up and mold etc and down the road redo it. If its damp and stinky chances are you won't want to use that room anyways. The other rooms don't look bad. Gut the kitchen and install your own cabinets....save you some $$$$ big time. Rip up the carpet and lay some flooring, some paint, maybe some sheetrock in some rooms. Done

Holeshot
06-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Eric did I see mold in one of the pics? So if I read it right only part of the basement wall was repaired and there is leaks on the other wall? I dont know man. looks to be expensive repair as most leaking basement walls are.

jbiscuit
06-27-2009, 08:41 AM
oh and what's with the boarded up window? It totally busted? You could replace those windows (so they match) by buying/ordering windows from Menards to save coin also.

pOrk
06-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Window pane is busted, easy fix. The basement has a few cracks, nothing that can't be repaired by waterproofing and reinforcement bars from what I have researched. Its a 1600 sf ranch in tosa on a half acre, for 100 grand its priced great I think. You guys seem to think otherwise? I know atleast 40 people that got water in their basements during that storm last week, 5 inches of rain in 4 hours doesn't happen too often.

As for the repair, even if it is serious I have no problem putting 20 grand into the foundation, and I think that is way over budgeting considering the block is in good shape and the cracks appear to have just started, so if I repair it right away I should be able to avoid major reconstruction.

Yooformula
06-27-2009, 09:56 AM
congrats on your first purchase.

what does the outside look like? does the ground pitch towards the house? My buddy's house had water leakage on 1 side and it was the same side with big bushes, poor water run off from the gutter and the ground was pitched towards the house. was the sump pump in working condition? perhaps the windows leak. on older houses, the basement windows cases rot away over time and allow water intrusion as well. I would run a dehumidifier, scrub down the walls and seal them, make sure the sump pump is working or getting a bigger/faster one then see what you have for water leaks. depending on how long it sat, something simple could have caused SOME of that water unless the prev owner was stupid for finishing a basement knowing it would flood.

do you plan on remodeling any of it before moving in? if you have the means to, knock out the bathroom before you move in, it makes it so much easier to work on when you dont NEED it right away.

pOrk
06-27-2009, 04:16 PM
The bathroom and the basement I want to start working on right away, but that will be after I move in. There is a 2nd bathroom in the basement so we can work on 1 at a time after we move in :) Going to paint every room and put laminate floors in the master bath and living room before we move in to get it done with, and likely hang new drywall in the 1st floor laundry since it has seen better days.

I went and looked at the house again today and it looks like its possible the water came through the basement window, its only wet on one side of the basement, wet spot is 10 feet along the wall and goes about 6 feet away from the wall. When we first looked at the house it was as dry as a bone, so I really think this was one time thing. Drywall doesnt appear to have gotten wet, but who knows I'll cut the bottom few feet off and replace it to be safe.

Sump seems to be in working order, hard to see anything in the basement since they took all the lightbulbs when they moved out. Lisa took pictures of the yard today, I will get them up tonight and share them :) I def want to add some fill on the backside of the house where the potential leak was, but the yard is slightly graded and away from the house.

michelle
06-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Congratulations!! Where in Tosa is this house?

pOrk
06-27-2009, 10:51 PM
3 blocks North of Capital, 2 blocks east

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/frontyard.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/frontofhouse.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/backofhouse.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/backyard.jpg

Yooformula
06-27-2009, 10:57 PM
I bet more rain collects near the corner where the trees are than you think and the ground is relatively flat around the house. I would definitely raise the pitch around the house a bit to make the water run away from the house.

The basement windows in my house would seep and leak when it rained as my neighbors driveway water would run against my house. Silicone and about a 1' of inclined grade and I havent seen a drop in over 4 years.

u_say_go
06-27-2009, 11:01 PM
cool beans man, congratulations! It's just a house....2x4's, drywall, and some concrete- everything can be fixed. Gut the basement, properly clean the mold, run some dehumidifiers for a few weeks and see where you're at. It'll be fine. Nice sized backyard! Enough room for a half-pipe or mini bmx track! ;)

u_say_go
06-27-2009, 11:03 PM
oh yeah.....and plan on a few gallons of KILZ to cover that red bedroom!

michelle
06-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Looks/sounds like a nice area. Best of luck and keep us updated with your plans, progress, and pictures!

pOrk
06-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Yoo, I was thinking I would add some fill. Luckily a few buddies have the equipment to made a job like that much easier and they owe me :)

cool beans man, congratulations! It's just a house....2x4's, drywall, and some concrete- everything can be fixed. Gut the basement, properly clean the mold, run some dehumidifiers for a few weeks and see where you're at. It'll be fine. Nice sized backyard! Enough room for a half-pipe or mini bmx track! ;)

I like the way you think! Haha, I want to build a half pipe off the back of my new garage, Lisa isn't digging the idea especially since I told her how big the garage will be and how little the yard is going to look when its built :thumbsup

Thanks Michelle :)

jbiscuit
06-28-2009, 10:41 AM
yep...start getting some quote for the 32 x 40 garage in that backyard!

pOrk
06-28-2009, 12:24 PM
yep...start getting some quote for the 32 x 40 garage in that backyard!

Already have a savings plan for it :thumbsup

jbiscuit
06-28-2009, 01:18 PM
why don't you build a huge garage and put a half pipe inside it? I mean do you really need a garage that big anyways? (not sure what you wrench on these days so maybe you have some projects ready to go in something like that). Porks own fantasy factory FTW

Holeshot
06-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Eric i didn't realize you bought that house. Congrats on your first home.

pOrk
06-28-2009, 08:30 PM
They only accepted my verbal offer to so far, I'm waiting for their counteroffer paper work to change the closing date and it should be mine :) I'm pretty excited

Cjburn
06-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Congratulations!

pOrk
06-29-2009, 03:38 PM
why don't you build a huge garage and put a half pipe inside it? I mean do you really need a garage that big anyways? (not sure what you wrench on these days so maybe you have some projects ready to go in something like that). Porks own fantasy factory FTW

I'm looking to buy a 50's Caddy to build after I have a work shop built, and I'm not made of money so it will be awhile :rolf House comes first as I hate living at home :rolf

lordairgtar
06-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Nice looking old ranch. Wished I'd have found something like that when I was looking. I found a foreclosed house in Muskego for 99,000, but it looked like dogs lived in it complete with poo! Plus the place was pretty well trashed. I don't have those home repair skills you would have needed to do in it like completely gut the interior. Now that more nice foreclosures are available, I can't buy because I went and bought a new car in 07. CRAP!!

pOrk
06-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Finally! Closing is July 29th, Party will be end of August and everyone here is invited :)

Exitspeed
06-30-2009, 04:55 PM
I'd love to rip that kitchen and baths apart.

URLOZIN
06-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Congrats!

Holeshot
06-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Finally! Closing is July 29th, Party will be end of August and everyone here is invited :)

Congrats Eric. :banana:banana

wrath
06-30-2009, 08:08 PM

I'm jealous. Congratulations. I know what you're going to be doing this summer.

pOrk
06-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Kitchen wont be changing much, maybe new counter top and sink but I love the cabinets. Bathroom will need work, thats for sure

Thanks guys, let me know when you want to come hammer some nails :)

Holeshot
06-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Hammer Time

CATNHAT
06-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Pork, I just reviewed your thread. 1st thing you should do is get a good sized dehumidifier in the basment NOW if you can. Most new dehu's have the option of removing the reservoir and connecting a hose so it will run perpetually. Drain the hose into the floor drain by the furnace/h20 heater. That should dry the basement completely in a couple of days. Most likely the source of the mold in the one corner. Let it run until you take occupancy.

Grade does look rather flat, code looks for a 5% negative around the perimeter and topsoil should be 8" clear from wood (i.e mudsill, studs) Downspout extensions minimum 3'.

Does it have central A/C? Turning that on will help remove internal high humidity through air travel over evaporator coil. Through wall AC same but on smaller scale.

Check tuck pointing on chimney--common source of water infiltration on older homes.

I would be happy to meet you there to help you do an inspection. I have worked on many mold remediation issues and have built about 2000 apartments/condos/houses/asisted living centers, basements, etc... in the milwaukee area.

From the pictures, it sure looks like you are getting a great deal @ 99K

The only thing that is missing is the brass pole in the living room?

Good Luck

Exitspeed
07-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Kitchen wont be changing much, maybe new counter top and sink but I love the cabinets. Bathroom will need work, thats for sure

Thanks guys, let me know when you want to come hammer some nails :)

Concrete countertops are cool and actually pretty fun and easy to make. Save yourself a ton of money and have some really expensive countertops.

pOrk
07-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Pork, I just reviewed your thread. 1st thing you should do is get a good sized dehumidifier in the basment NOW if you can. Most new dehu's have the option of removing the reservoir and connecting a hose so it will run perpetually. Drain the hose into the floor drain by the furnace/h20 heater. That should dry the basement completely in a couple of days. Most likely the source of the mold in the one corner. Let it run until you take occupancy.

Grade does look rather flat, code looks for a 5% negative around the perimeter and topsoil should be 8" clear from wood (i.e mudsill, studs) Downspout extensions minimum 3'.

Does it have central A/C? Turning that on will help remove internal high humidity through air travel over evaporator coil. Through wall AC same but on smaller scale.

Check tuck pointing on chimney--common source of water infiltration on older homes.

I would be happy to meet you there to help you do an inspection. I have worked on many mold remediation issues and have built about 2000 apartments/condos/houses/asisted living centers, basements, etc... in the milwaukee area.

From the pictures, it sure looks like you are getting a great deal @ 99K

The only thing that is missing is the brass pole in the living room?

Good Luck

THANK YOU! Your advice / opinion meant alot, and making it on such short notice makes me feel great about this deal on the house. I tried contacting the listing agent this morning about the dehumidifier, if he says no I sneak it in tonight :) Would rather have it ok'ed incase the deal falls through so I don't lose it, you know? Again, thanks. I owe you dinner :thumbsup

CATNHAT
07-03-2009, 12:52 PM
No problem, my son had a great time. Sneak over and disconnect that downspout in the northeast corner ASAP as well.

Feel free to call me with any more questions.

Good Luck!

pOrk
07-20-2009, 10:32 AM
After the closing date getting pushed off several times I finally have my appraisal appointment and a solid closing date of august 14th :) About freakin time

pOrk
08-02-2009, 11:21 PM
The basement cleaned up great, stil a bit of a smell but that could be the unfinished part of the basement as we haven't been able to spend much time in there just yet. Mast bedroom is about ready for flooring, finished painting that today and the rest of the ceilings. Does Ace still replace glass panes in windows / screens in screen doors? I have a few that need work, looks like they might still do this on their website. Anybody want to help me dig stumps next week? haha Progress is coming along nicely, should have some pictures by the end of the week if anyone cares to see.

Car Guy
08-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Just pay someone to grind the stumps out, well worth the $40 or less for each one......

pOrk
08-02-2009, 11:32 PM
I have 32 stumps, at 35 a stump its over 1100 bucks.

Car Guy
08-02-2009, 11:38 PM
How much land do you have...??? Didn't know you were moving into a forest.....:goof

pOrk
08-02-2009, 11:40 PM
haha, .53 acre and had a ton of tree's, most are pretty small have a few there are 16 or so inches across, a few bigger but most smaller

Car Guy
08-03-2009, 12:02 AM
For the smaller stumps use an engine hoist (cherry picker) to pull them out, it will work great.....

Old Dog
08-03-2009, 06:03 AM
You can rent a stump grinder from Home depot for about $70 per day. They are easy to use. I would think you couold get them all done in a day. $70 vs $1100.

michelle
08-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Can't wait to see pics!

Inspector13
08-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Wait. Your closing date is Aug 14th?!? Mine is too. :banana1:

Congrats. Looking for houses are fun. :crying I think I wrote up 5 or 6 offers on different houses and looked at so many I can't keep track. Lucky for me my friend is a real estate agent and is very patient and also kept me very well informed on the housing market.

0TransAm0
08-03-2009, 03:26 PM
wait..you didn't even close on the house yet? and your doing work on it? i didn't think you could do anything till you closed?

on a side note. we just got informed today that the seller accepted our offer on a house. so now the fun part begins..thanks again pork for the info you provided us.

95mustang302
08-03-2009, 04:49 PM
woo congrats pork, my closing is the 28th

Crawlin
08-03-2009, 05:05 PM
that's awesome Pork! Congrats. House looks great. Even if you had to put 50k into it, it'd be completely fresh and look a ton better. And by the looks of the houses in the surrounding area of the pic, a great investment opportunity when/if you do decide to move out of your house. I'm just helping my dad with his projects(cabinets/countertops/redoing the finished basement/adding walls/etc...) and I can tell you I've had more fun doing that then working on any of my cars. Maybe it's realizing you're not losing money doing it, haha.

SSDude
08-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Congrats.
Looks like you got a bargain.
A little sweat and elbow grease it'll be good as new

Inspector13
08-04-2009, 08:27 AM
wait..you didn't even close on the house yet? and your doing work on it? i didn't think you could do anything till you closed?

Yeah you can. I have to cause the home I put an offer on is a bank owned foreclosure. My bank wants ME to fix things (that normally the seller would have to fix) before closing to make it "safe" as per the federal government. Granted I don't see how not having a shower head will make a house un-safe. :flipoff2:

There are other small piddly-ass things like that too, but that is one of them.

pOrk
08-05-2009, 01:15 AM
We actually closed early, so its all mine. Heres the progress up to today, we did a TON of cleaning, scraped the crap texture ( most of it ) off the ceilings, TONS of paint, and the flooring went down today. I'm hoping to be mostly moved in next week, Lisa will be doing more painting and we are putting in new moldings and quarter rounds everywhere and blah blah blah.

This was my house warming gift from my little brother, easily the coolest gift thus far :)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/8-4-09/garagedooropener.jpg

Bathroom was moldy, no more. They used drywall behind the tub surround, we cut that out and replaced with Durarock and just need to put up the new surround and a new fan

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/8-4-09/bathroom.jpg

Westinghouse fan on sale at hobo, NICE! Oh yea, painted bedroom and Brazilian Cherry laminate flooring

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/8-4-09/mstrbed.jpg

And Living room, half done still waiting on paint but that will come later. Will be laying tile by the front door and in front of fireplace.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/8-4-09/livingroom.jpg

pOrk
08-05-2009, 01:19 AM
You can rent a stump grinder from Home depot for about $70 per day. They are easy to use. I would think you couold get them all done in a day. $70 vs $1100.

A friend of mine just mentioned that today, its just over 100 to rent it for 24 hours so thats likely the route I will be taking.

on a side note. we just got informed today that the seller accepted our offer on a house. so now the fun part begins..thanks again pork for the info you provided us.

Did you find it via that site? If so, great! Glad it helped, it helped my search a ton. Where did you find your place?

that's awesome Pork! Congrats. House looks great. Even if you had to put 50k into it, it'd be completely fresh and look a ton better. And by the looks of the houses in the surrounding area of the pic, a great investment opportunity when/if you do decide to move out of your house. I'm just helping my dad with his projects(cabinets/countertops/redoing the finished basement/adding walls/etc...) and I can tell you I've had more fun doing that then working on any of my cars. Maybe it's realizing you're not losing money doing it, haha.

It's a ton of work doing everything at once, but I am learning lots and having a good time spending it with my family. My dad and grandparents have been over every day getting so much done and I couldn't wish for as much help as they are offering, its just awesome.

I am so excited to move in. Thanks for the kind words :)

0TransAm0
08-05-2009, 03:32 PM
P0rk: we new about the house before the site. but the site helped us out with makeing our offer. knowing what the seller paid and what it's appraised at and such. and with info about the taxes. the house is in Franksville on Dunkalow rd. 3 bedroom 2 bath. with a 1/2 acre yard. 2 1/2 car attached garage.

95mustang302
08-05-2009, 06:21 PM
pork, what is this site you speak of? pm me if you wouldn't mind.

pOrk
08-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Got my internet up and running today so I thought I would share some progress photos, sitting in my office feels pretty good :) Still a truck load of work to be done though

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/tubsurround.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/layingfloor.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/laundryroom.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/woodgrainlaminate.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/hallwaypaintedlights.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/garagemesspainted.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/freshtarchimney.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/fireplaceconcrete.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/tempmantel.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/frontdoor-1.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/garagedoor.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/myhous.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/sidehouse.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/mstrbeddone.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/kitchencabinetsstarted.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/garagestorage.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/bikerackup.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/frontyard-1.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/backofhouse-1.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/backyard-1.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/bathroomdone.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/blueroomafter.jpg

domokun
08-20-2009, 12:19 AM
move faster, slacker

pOrk
08-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Had to get some biking in yesterday so that put me 2 hours behind schedule

:)

Yooformula
08-20-2009, 12:34 AM
looks good so far!

Car Guy
08-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Did the Smurfs live there before you...??? :goof

michelle
08-20-2009, 05:43 AM
Looking great!

jbiscuit
08-20-2009, 07:47 AM
lookin good pork. Yea whats with the blue garage door?

pOrk
08-20-2009, 02:23 PM
I wanted a blue garage door. Everyone on the block has brown, so I went with Blue. Don't need any rhyme or reason when its yours :)

Exitspeed
08-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Looks like fun. Where is this house again?

pOrk
08-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Tosa, 3 blocks north of capitol and 2 blocks east of hwy 100

Come by and check it out

Exitspeed
08-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Tosa, 3 blocks north of capitol and 2 blocks east of hwy 100

Come by and check it out

I will actually. As soon as I'm out ridin my bike I'll hit you up and stop by.

jbiscuit
08-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Don't need any rhyme or reason when its yours :)

You do when all the rest of your exterior trim is brown :rolf

pOrk
08-20-2009, 04:50 PM
I will actually. As soon as I'm out ridin my bike I'll hit you up and stop by.

Sounds good :)

You do when all the rest of your exterior trim is brown :rolf

Brown and blue are complementary colors

http://images.google.com/images?q=brown%20and%20blue%20color%20schemes&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Lash
08-20-2009, 05:37 PM
You should fix that gutter above the garage door before winter.
Ice dam waiting to happen.

pOrk
08-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Yea, I'm debating on replacing a few of the gutters as they weren't installed properly to begin with. I need more moneys

SSDude
08-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Lookin good pOrk

team beater
08-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Congrats man, its looking good! there are definitely some deals in that neighborhood right now, kinda makes me wish i had waited to by mine.

I smell a BBQ soon...............

lordairgtar
08-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Nice house....we're moving in with ya next week.

MoCkiN U
08-22-2009, 11:50 PM
if you need some extra muscle moving crap around or tossing dirt dude let me know. I can give you a hand

pOrk
11-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Speaking of moving dirt

I think I have the yard looking half way decent now although I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to grade / sod where the pool used to be. Painted the house and installed new windows. I took all the rocks that were around the old pool and used them to line a new garden along the front and side of the house. Looking for suggestions on plants / bushes for the side of the house as it is extremely shaded during the summer months.

Before Front:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/frontofhouse.jpg

Now:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/frontofhousenewwindows.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/gardencutin.jpg

Before Back:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/backofhouse.jpg

Now:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/backofhousenewwindows.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/poolfilled.jpg

Red97GTP
11-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Damn, you have a nice yard pork!

mrz28M6
11-11-2009, 04:29 PM
looks a ton better man!

pOrk
11-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Damn, you have a nice yard pork!

Thanks! I have lots of crab grass :durr Working on that come spring time I think

Thanks!

Oh yea, my garden bike:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/lovemybike.jpg

pOrk
11-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Forgot I started this thread after looking at the house in brookfield. That house is back on the market for 210000, all they did was tile cabinets and appliances in the kitchen, then paint in the rest of the house. Looks like a new roof and re-sealed the driveway as well. HUGE profit...

SSDude
11-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks! I have lots of crab grass :durr Working on that come spring time I think

Thanks!

Oh yea, my garden bike:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/lovemybike.jpg

Need to flip the frame on that bike to low ride it.