PDA

View Full Version : My first car magazine cover shot

Goat Roper
06-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Unfortunately it was completely unauthorized and I am as of yet uncompensated. Flattered and pissed all at the same time.

I have yet to see it but I got a call from Andrea tonight saying that her management people found that a picture from a shoot I had with her last year made it's way onto the cover of a car magazine in Europe. She is going to get more info on it tomorrow and hopefully get a copy of it.

Here is the offending shot. Not the best shot ever but apparently they liked it.

http://www.sweeneysphoto.com/models/andrea/andrea4.jpg

Z28Envy
06-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Nice. Hopefully you can get what you deserve out of them. It's a great shot Scott!

TransAm12sec
06-08-2009, 10:53 PM
So what's the process now? Do you contact the Magazine? Do you have lawyers for this type of stuff?

Goat Roper
06-08-2009, 11:15 PM
So what's the process now? Do you contact the Magazine? Do you have lawyers for this type of stuff?

I am a member of the Professional Photographers of America, I will hit them up tomorrow and see what their direction is.

LIZMO
06-08-2009, 11:57 PM
that sucks, hopefully you get some recognition for it. good luck!

udlose98
06-09-2009, 12:00 AM
interesting, I know you have better shots than that.

Well, enjoy the big leagues.

Holeshot
06-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Thats bullshit Scott. I had enough respect to ask you if I could have/use a copy of a picture you shot. Great Picture by the way. A good photographer / artist are always their own worst critic.

GRAMPS SS
06-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Unfortunately it was completely unauthorized and I am as of yet uncompensated. Flattered and pissed all at the same time.

I have yet to see it but I got a call from Andrea tonight saying that her management people found that a picture from a shoot I had with her last year made it's way onto the cover of a car magazine in Europe. She is going to get more info on it tomorrow and hopefully get a copy of it.

Here is the offending shot. Not the best shot ever but apparently they liked it.

http://www.sweeneysphoto.com/models/andrea/andrea4.jpg

Scott...when all else fails...copyright laws will be your friend...no matter the case..they can not publish a photo with out a release....i have my seniors sign one...and some of my other portrait shoots sign them/....she may of had her management or who ever show them to whom ever...but the print is yours...and soon and the shutter goes click...it's copyrighted and yours...you can sell it...but it is still yours at the same time...UNLESS you signed your rights to it away....and i don't think that you would of done that....

if you do this the right way...you too will have BANK..and then move up to that Hassy Digital that you have your eyes on....:thumbsup ....any of the associations that you belong to as a photographer.whether you be a pro or not....will be on your side with this one I'm sure...and you will prob use there lawyers as well...seen this happen a few times..they fig since it's out of the country , that you won't ever see the pics...well i guess they were wrong on this one...take there asses to the cleaners....

GREAT PIC BY THE WAY.....

Squatch
06-09-2009, 05:33 AM
Great Shot!

Fuck You Pay Me!

jbiscuit
06-09-2009, 07:52 AM
the kicker will be that its in Europe. Sometimes the road dead ends very quickly chasing these suckers over there. How did they get the High Rez to begin with? Regardless, its illegal to do things like this and you should go after them for it. You might be rewarded quite well for chasing after them in a situation like this. Try and get some facts first about the magazine and circulation totals etc....if the circulation is significant, you could really have a good case against them!

Waver
06-09-2009, 09:21 AM
niceshot man, but you really should get paid for it man

07ROUSHSTG3
06-09-2009, 09:26 AM
good luck. hopefully you get some payment. nice shot though!

scaleracer
06-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Nice pic! You deserve something for them using it though..

Nick
06-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Nice pic! You deserve something for them using it though..

A photo I took of a friends Mustang was used in a 12 month long advertisement in all of the major Mustang magazines by American Muscle or whatever the hell that shit is.

I was fucking floored. Didn't get shit for it. Same deal.

All of you have probably seen it. They found it on the internet, removed my copyright, and used it.

Holeshot
06-09-2009, 03:17 PM
That sucks Nick. Sounds like its time to watermark the shit out of your stuff. Make it so hard even photoshop will take forever.

Nick
06-09-2009, 03:36 PM
That sucks Nick. Sounds like its time to watermark the shit out of your stuff. Make it so hard even photoshop will take forever.

Yeah, that's the last thing I want to do, but it's the reason I have added some pretty long and well defined terms and conditions to my customer CD's.

Scott - I really hope you can figure something like this out. If all else fails, get a copy of the publication for your records and use it as part of your resume! :thumbsup