PDA

View Full Version : Help! Car failed emissions

u_say_go
03-30-2004, 10:27 PM
My 1996 Ford Contour (6cyl) failed emissions today. Hydrocarbon reading was twice the acceptable limit. On the notes at the bottom of my reading, it stated that it could be from "misfiring cylinders, grossly advanced ignition timing, improper air/fuel mixture"
I was trying to get to the testing station before they closed so I only got to run the car for about 10-15 minutes before the test.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jason

SMS 1
03-30-2004, 10:30 PM
I posted a reply for you in the other thread.

Cryptic
03-30-2004, 10:51 PM
double post ?! :fire :goof

Scales
03-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by CrypticGTX
double post ?! :fire :goof

Yeah, that's my fault.. I told him the Tech. fourm doesn't see much traffic...

Sorry.... :ban: :goof

Knyghtmare
03-30-2004, 11:14 PM
Hmmm.... Yes... I see the problem... its right there... see it? Yes I do believe I have figured it out... I have a good eye for these things.... I have found your problem... its right there... "Ford"... There you go... Now for a solution... :D

SMS 1
03-30-2004, 11:18 PM
All you need is the trusty 'ol BFH. Does the trick every time:durr

88camaro
03-30-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Knyghtmare
Hmmm.... Yes... I see the problem... its right there... see it? Yes I do believe I have figured it out... I have a good eye for these things.... I have found your problem... its right there... "Ford"... There you go... Now for a solution... :D

20# hammer and/or duct tape

Scales
03-31-2004, 12:23 AM

Bwahahahaha.... LMFAO!!!!

Opps... Wait.. I have a Ford too.... But mine just drove me around in winter so it's ok... And yes.. It still needs a good home!!!

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3173

Flight_740
03-31-2004, 10:28 AM
I know that ford had a recall on the contours converter. You might want to get in there and have them put a new one on for free. They cost almost $600 for that car. We have had a couple of them done here.

BAD LS1
03-31-2004, 10:40 AM

YES!!! they were even nice enough to circle ER... OVAL the problem for you!!!:thumbsup

:goof

BadAzzGTA89
03-31-2004, 01:26 PM
I agree that it could be the cat!!

turbogarrett
03-31-2004, 06:02 PM
just register your car to a non emissions county at the dmv. i think it costs $4.

Milw96Cobra
03-31-2004, 06:06 PM
WAIT WAIT WAIT A SECOND...

Your car is a 96... correct?

If thats so... then you have OBD-II.... in which case, all they do is connect it to the computer and read check engine codes... you MUST have had a check engine light before going in there... I'd go to a different test station, like the one on 76th, just north of Good Hope Rd... where they test with the computer...

Reset your car's computer RIGHT before you go in... no check engine light, they wont know the difference... IE you beat the system.

Flight_740
03-31-2004, 06:21 PM
and a faulty converter will throw a code.

WhiteZCamaro
03-31-2004, 06:57 PM
Even if it is a '96 if the computer deosn't read it gets driven even if there is a check engine light on that doesn't matter. Second if you do take the car to another station it will be driven agian. Third if you reset your computer right before you come in the car will either be rejected and have to come back or it has to be driven. Since yor vehicle failed hydrocarbons that is basically unburnt fuel so i would check your plugs and wires and your distribter and maybe get a new air filter.
Jason

Flight_740
03-31-2004, 07:07 PM
and run a bottle of heat in the tank:devil :thumbsup

BadAzzGTA89
03-31-2004, 07:20 PM
:wstupid Yea that worked for me B4:thumbsup

u_say_go
03-31-2004, 09:21 PM
hahaaaaahaaaaaa.....wooohooooohoohoooo!!!! Ya'll so funny!
Check out this Ford and try talkin' smack about it. :flipoff:
http://www.geocities.com/paulsrod/main.html

To the rest of you guys, thanks for the advice...I'll keep you posted.

Scales
03-31-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by u_say_go

I'll gladly talk smack about it......

How many times you gonna bring Daddy's car out before you finally get one of your own??? :flipoff: :nutkick

BadAzzGTA89
03-31-2004, 09:30 PM

What kind of engine is in that car?? Looks Nice!!

u_say_go
03-31-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Scales
I'll gladly talk smack about it......

How many times you gonna bring Daddy's car out before you finally get one of your own??? :flipoff: :nutkick

michael, michael, michael....dont be so angry, someday you will find out who your daddy is.
and as far as getting my own hotrod....why bother?! I have the pride of knowing that I did a good chunk of the work on it, and I have the keys to it.....and it didnt cost me a cent!
Thats like getting to sleep with a Playmate and ya dont hafta marry her!

BadAzzGTA89
03-31-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by BadAzzGTA89
What kind of engine is in that car?? Looks Nice!!

u_say_go
03-31-2004, 10:03 PM
Ford 302, Edelbrock polished aluminum heads and intake, Holley 750, roller rockers and cam, hydraulic lifters, msd ignition, TRW pistons..etc..etc..

Scales
03-31-2004, 10:04 PM
michael, michael, michael....dont be so angry, someday you will find out who your daddy is.

I already know.. Bob Vila is my Daddy.. Just ask anyone that's seen him.. :goof

BadAzzGTA89
03-31-2004, 10:11 PM
look forward to seeing that rod at the shows!!!!

u_say_go
03-31-2004, 10:12 PM
quit lyin'! you know your mom met your dad at the carnival when he was runnin' the Tilt-a-whirl!

u_say_go
03-31-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by BadAzzGTA89
look forward to seeing that rod at the shows!!!!

rumor has it BCM might not have shows at Burger King anymore??? If BCM finds another spot for a cruise night, I'll ask daddy if I can bring it up there. And me and Scales are racing for titles (only if he runs the Topaz)
Someone really should buy that car. It's worth more than what he's asking.

Scales
04-01-2004, 06:49 AM
rumor has it BCM might not have shows at Burger King anymore??? If BCM finds another spot for a cruise night, I'll ask daddy if I can bring it up there. And me and Scales are racing for titles (only if he runs the Topaz)
Someone really should buy that car. It's worth more than what he's asking.

Awwwwwww.. What a big ol' softie!!! Thanx Jay!!! :thumbsup