PDA

View Full Version : Question for the dealership peeps

Karps TA
06-05-2009, 09:35 AM
If an employee wants to buy a car from your dealership that was traded in, what kind of markup do they normally have to pay? Is it a set amount or does it depend on the car or who the employee is?

07ROUSHSTG3
06-05-2009, 09:37 AM
some dealer have a certain amount, like $500 bucks or something. enough to cover the vehicle safety inspection, paperwork, and whatnot. some dealers i have seen, will run the car through auction and see what it max bids at, then that is what the car is worth, so that is what they sell it for. and yet others, dont cut any slack and make you work through a salesperson, LOL!

Waver
06-05-2009, 09:49 AM
we pay about what we have into the car. It is not a bad deal.

Karps TA
06-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Reason for my asking is my mom works at Greenfield Pontiac. She's been there over 30 years. They had a car come in that is exactly what I was looking for, and she let me know what they had in it. They were going to do a safety and advise, then let me know what I could get it for. turns out they want to make almost $2200 on the car selling it to me. Needless to say that pisses me off a bunch. Not nearly as much as how pissed my mom is cause she's sees certain people buying/selling cars to family members and friends at cost or at a small amount over.

jbiscuit
06-05-2009, 10:10 AM
^ sounds ghey. Abort.

Waver
06-05-2009, 10:10 AM
that is gay, what kind of car?

Karps TA
06-05-2009, 10:15 AM
04 Bonneville SLE.

I'm so pissed about it I wish I had the coin to buy something new. I'd pick a car out on their lot and have a different dealer, dealer trade for it just out of spite. lol

Although I'm not nearly as fired up as my mom is.

This is why I never buy a car from there. Only car I ever bought from there is my TA, and in the end it's the worst car purchase I've ever made. I've always done better going somewhere else.

jbiscuit
06-05-2009, 10:17 AM
I think you know the answer then....since you can't get a "deal" there, then I would take my business elsewhere dood

Waver
06-05-2009, 10:21 AM
you could do better than that. Seems like they are treating you like any other asshat off the street

GrimreaperSS
06-05-2009, 10:26 AM
At my place it depends on the car and such. Sports cars and "specialty cars" no deal, gotta pay! Theres been so much debate over that issue here, that they've made a rule to only deal with the general manager or the owner if you have a car you are interested in. Usually works out that you cover what they have in the car, maybe pay a little over that (i.e. $100-200). To many problems in the past dealing with used car management here. Even cars that you know won't stay on the lot, are destined for auction, have had trouble with. Also only allowed to purchase 1 a year.

Karps TA
06-05-2009, 10:32 AM
I thought I was being pretty generous willing to go up to $1300 over. I thought that was pretty decent considering they were putting no work into the car. I didn't even want them cleaning it.

Waver
06-05-2009, 10:37 AM
dude if I had a gtp at one of my stores, I would hook you up...

wrath
06-05-2009, 10:38 AM
You already know what it cost them. Just badger them down to what you think it is worth or go find something else.

Silver350
06-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Seriously check out the vehicles history. Greenfield has been picking up a lot of sh*t cars from Aution. that is where my g6 came from and nothing but problems. Also 2200 more then what they got the car from isnt a bad price considering the mark up on the car if they were to sell it to someone like me.

Karps TA
06-05-2009, 11:32 AM
The car was a trade in. All maintenance done at the dealership religiously. It was a creampuff so to speak.

The markup wouldn't be an issue if every deal didn't go across my mother's desk and she saw what others have paid for cars. But since certain people have even sold cars at losses to family members in the past, this is a shitty way to treat an employee of 30+ years.

Rocket Power
06-05-2009, 11:40 AM
When I bought my 96 eighty eight back in 2000 I had to pay $500 over what they had in it for the trade when my sis worked at a dealer. Back when I worked at a Ford dealer in 93 there didn't seem to be a set deal.

jbiscuit
06-05-2009, 11:42 AM
its the way of the land it seems right now. I tried at 4 different Chevy dealers to get a Trailblazer at a "decent" price and was offered $200 off the sticker price at one of those :rolf I seriously got up and walked out while he was still talking. There aren't "deals" out there like you would think there would be since car sales are slow right now. Worked out fine for us in the long run. I guess telling people, "I will buy today if the price is right" is not good enough. Not even a LITTLE effort to sell one

Crawlin
06-05-2009, 11:43 AM
If it's something they aren't gonna safety... $500 over what they took in was normal for used. If it was something really bad it could be $250.

BUT, if they took it in dirt cheap, and they could auction it and make $1000 on it, then you'd have to pay the $1000.

Crawlin
06-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Most cars today are priced SO competitively, especially something as common as the Trailblazer, they arne't gonna budge because the advertised price is already to the point of making below average profit.

Not that anyone cares, but profits need to be made otherwise doors are closing. Dealerships are like the police... Everyone talks shit about them while getting pulled over, but when that 911 call goes out, you expect them to be there in seconds.

To be honest, MOST dealerships because car sales are slow, are slowing down purchasing NEW vehicles for their lot. So that means the stuff on their lot is something that was there 6 months ago. Which means it was taken in when the trade in's were 6-7 months ago. That could be a $1000 swing at minimum. So now it's priced at cost just to move it. They have it sitting on their lot, and it's not costing them anything to be there(in some dealership's cases since they don't finance their used cars), so they aren't gonna take a $2000 loss JUST to move it. It's always been a risk reward. We will pass on the $2000 loss today in hopes of a $1000 loss tomorrow. If it sits for awhile longer, that just means a $2000 next week, which wouldn't be any different then if they took it today. So they can just keep sitting.

Just cause it's SLOW, doesn't mean they will just up and GIVE you the car.

If you aren't willing to pay what they need for it, just move on. There are more dealerships out there. Simple philosphy.

jbiscuit
06-05-2009, 11:52 AM
agree with Crawlin 110%. If the numbers aren't working, we leave. Simple as that. I for sure wasn't going to pay MORE than what the truck was worth when a guy down the street has the same truck (more or less) for less money. Grossinger Chevy in Illinois gave me some line like, "these trucks are hard to find. They'll sell at that price." OK fine, maybe to someone without 5 minutes of cars.com searching. Selling to an idiot is one thing. They must just prey on a lot of idiots :rolf

97z2801ss
06-05-2009, 01:18 PM
my sisters good friends father owns that joint....... needless to say i can talk to her n ask if they can help u out more then that.

cyclone70
06-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Most dealers I have worked at would be $500.00 over what they have in it. But I have seen them stick it to family and friends

Ricky Bobby
06-06-2009, 01:08 AM
my sisters good friends father owns that joint....... needless to say i can talk to her n ask if they can help u out more then that.

im also good friends with said fathers son could talk to him and let him know