PDA

View Full Version : crx won't start

xFullThrottlex
06-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 1990 crx off of my father. Well my brother and his friends decided they wanted to tinker with it and I came home to the plug wires off and the air intake completely disassembled. Anyways, I put the intake back together and rerouted the plug wires to their correct place on the distributor and the car wont start. The battery was dead so I charged that and checked out the ecu fuse and thats all good to go. Plugs are good. I'm a bit stumped with this one. Anyone have any ideas, thoughts and/or prayers? Or does anyone want to purchase a project crx, daily runner, or slinger bee car:D? Thanks in advance!!:headbang

EDIT: It's a 1.5l non vtec motor, 5 speed tranny (but that shouldnt matter)

Plum Crazy
06-03-2009, 02:20 PM
does it crank or anything?

xFullThrottlex
06-03-2009, 02:23 PM
does it crank or anything?

Yes it does, I was just going to edit again that it does crank but will not turn over. It gets there and then nothing.

-stew-
06-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Yes it does, I was just going to edit again that it does crank but will not turn over. It gets there and then nothing.

crank = turn over

xFullThrottlex
06-03-2009, 02:31 PM
crank = turn over

ahh come on you know what I meant!!:shades

It cranks, cranks, and cranks but does not "fire up"

Plum Crazy
06-03-2009, 02:34 PM
start with the basics, see if it has spark:

pull out a plug, put it in a plug wire, set it on the motor and have someone crank it, see if the spark plug sparks.

Next, see if you have Fuel:

Hook up a fuel guage to the fuel rail(if possible)
You should have atleast 45 psi

If you have both of those, id say its probably out of time and needs to be retimed.

These would be the easiest things to check.

ThatWhiteCivic
06-03-2009, 02:36 PM
does the check engine light cycle properly. (turn key to on position CEL comes on then turns off)

xFullThrottlex
06-03-2009, 02:36 PM

pull out a plug, put it in a plug wire, set it on the motor and have someone crank it, see if the spark plug sparks.

You should have atleast 45 psi

If you have both of those, id say its probably out of time and needs to be retimed.

I'll do that, thank you very much

-stew-
06-03-2009, 02:51 PM

You should find out the fuel pressure specs and see if you are within range

If you have both of those, id say its probably out of time and needs to have the head rebuilt because it bent all the valves because it's an interference motor.

Fix'd

Plum Crazy
06-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Fix'd

good thing you know more than AllData.

Prince Valiant
06-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Or does anyone want to purchase a project crx, daily runner, or slinger bee car:D? Get pics, and I'd consider it :thumbsup

lordairgtar
06-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Gonna pound the crap outa yer brother?:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

VroomPshhTsi
06-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Mario why the hell did you buy that car!!??? I hope that's not you zipping up the street at full throttle in that thing the past week.

P.S. when are we going for another ride on the bikes?

xFullThrottlex
06-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Mario why the hell did you buy that car!!??? I hope that's not you zipping up the street at full throttle in that thing the past week.

P.S. when are we going for another ride on the bikes?

Nahh my brother's friend bought a carbon copy of that damn thing and has been beatin on it by our houses. My dad chewed him out biggg time. Car is the numnuts that's driving some piece of shit flat black boosted integra through our streets now. I honestly bought it from him for something with good mileage besides the bike, but i'd much rather have an 80s silverado with a plow and four wheel drive now. I'm down for a bike ride ASAP!

Gonna pound the crap outa yer brother?:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

Yeah, he's a dead man!!

Get pics, and I'd consider it :thumbsup

I won't be home tonight but i'll try and get some pics up tomm night:headbang

Z28Envy
06-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Your sure the firing order is correct?

xFullThrottlex
06-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Your sure the firing order is correct?

I'm probably 95% sure on it

Z28Envy
06-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Well if it ran before they took the wires off and now it turns over but won't start that would be the fist thing I would check. If the firing order is wrong it wont start.

xFullThrottlex
06-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Well if it ran before they took the wires off and now it turns over but won't start that would be the fist thing I would check. If the firing order is wrong it wont start.

That was my logic going into this. The firing order I could find on the web (I don't have a Chilton/service manual.. but will be picking one up if I decide to hang onto it) is : 1-3-4-2. It looked like I put each of the wires to the correct plug, but I will double and triple check.The air intake was disconnected as well, so I think i'm going to ask him again if thats all they touched. If not, i'm going to have fun figuring this out:banana

Reverend Cooper
06-03-2009, 09:14 PM
are you sure the maf is plugged in

xFullThrottlex
06-03-2009, 09:23 PM
are you sure the maf is plugged in

I didnt think these little guys had a MAF sensor, i'll have to check

ThatWhiteCivic
06-03-2009, 10:03 PM
no maf sensor. There is a map sensor. Make sure you don't have the map and tps plugs flip floped. Take a look at the wires (both have 3 wires) the tps plug will have a red wire in the middle.