PDA

View Full Version : Deals on Airlines? Is it cheaper at certain times of day or days of the week?

badass88gt
06-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Is there any better time to buy plane tickets, are they cheaper at any certain time of day or any certain day of the week? Anyone know anything about it?

That_Guy
06-03-2009, 08:06 AM
airtran
middle of the summer "end of july"
wednesday morning

i bought a ticket 2 weeks ago to fly down to florida from mke to orlando for 89 dollars

badass88gt
06-03-2009, 08:25 AM
No shit. Thats exactly the flight I want, Milwaukee to Orlando, but we are going over Xmas.

TraceDaddy
06-03-2009, 08:26 AM
It definitely matters. If you pick times that conincide with business travelers you'll pay more. And prices change hourly. (Quite literally) You just have to check back. And give as much lead time as possible. If you get within a week of departure you're going to pay through the nose.

JBs92Lude
06-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Always best to fly during non-peak times. This is usually during the week Tue-Thurs. Also the best prices are usually when you book at least 21 days in advance. I used to fly a lot and I used cheaptickets expedia and other sites like those and then compared rates which worked well. However Southwest is now coming to Milwaukee and they always have great prices on plane tickets.

juicedimpss
06-03-2009, 09:43 AM
try this place...

http://www.exhibitravel.com/

88Nightmare
06-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Danno, my mother works for AirTran. She's got 15 years of airline experience under her belt.

Staying over through a weekend can make things cheaper. The earlier you book a flight, the cheaper it will be. As a particular flight starts getting booked up, the cost of the seats go higher (supply and demand, people cant seem to understand that and get pissed when their $110 seat is now $155 a month later) Also flying on less desirable flights (way late at night or way earlier in the morning) can also make it cheaper.

If you use a travel agent, just remember, you are buying your ticket through the travel agent and therefore the airline cannot make changes to the ticket, you have to do that through your agent. Just makes it more of a hassle. Discounted tickets through expedia and other such site are the same deal. They are usually bottom of the barrel ticket (non-refundable and may have a $75 change fee).

shoooo32
06-03-2009, 01:07 PM
The best deal I found lately was on farecast.com

Goat Roper
06-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Heed the words of flying on a Wed with a weekend stay over and Airtran is very inexpensive to certain destinations. It was with them last summer that I got $49 airfares to D.C. on an early June flight.

badass88gt
06-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks guys. I will be booking the flight myself, through the airline's website. No travel agents, no "expedia-type" sites.

Goat Roper
06-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys. I will be booking the flight myself, through the airline's website. No travel agents, no "expedia-type" sites.

Thats what I did with Airtran, easy system

That_Guy
06-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Thats what I did with Airtran, easy system

totally true.. they have a great website. i my family use to use midwest express to fly everywhere now the only time we use them is to fly to Las Vegas

airtran ftw though