PDA

View Full Version : Now both Hummer and Viper has "new" owners...

Prince Valiant
06-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Hummer will be going to the chinese:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D98IM9S81&show_article=1

Viper is being purchased by....well, the "new chrysler"...BUT, this doesn't mean that couldn't still be sold in the future...but at least they aren't being totally liquidated during bankruptcy, which is what I figured would happen if no buyer stepped forward.

07ROUSHSTG3
06-02-2009, 01:51 PM
good to see viper sticking around. ROUSH had talked about buying it.

Waver
06-02-2009, 01:56 PM
o'rerey

TransAm12sec
06-02-2009, 02:04 PM
The vehicle based on the American Army truck owned by the Chinese, haha.

Voodoo Chick
06-02-2009, 03:21 PM
^^ Kinda scary when you really think about it.........

Karps TA
06-02-2009, 03:23 PM
China already owns most of America, Seems perfect to me.

Plus if they can make a Hummer for a 1/3rd of the price and sell it at Walmart, I'm all over one.

johnny--2k
06-02-2009, 03:36 PM
^ :rolf that's awesome!

lordairgtar
06-02-2009, 03:51 PM
I think the military version is made by AM General. GM's trucks are civilian versions and the name is used under license. AM General makes heavy military trucks and used to make mass transit buses very similar in looks to the old GM fishbowl bus.

PonyKiller87
06-02-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm pretty sure that company already makes some other military vehicles for us, I know I've seen the name somewhere before.

lordairgtar
06-02-2009, 03:55 PM
AMG info
http://www.omot.org/roster/buses/amg.html
Hummer's grille is jeep like for a reason.

xopher
06-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Same was true with the Germans. In the early 1940s, we designed and built a little sturdy 4x4 to invade Nazi Europe, did so, came back, made them for civilians, then the company that owned them (Chrysler) tanked and was bought by Daimler Benz.

Until they dumped Chrsyler, the Germans owned the company which built the vehicle which invaded their country in WWII.

07ROUSHSTG3
06-02-2009, 04:24 PM
this is only the GM Hummer, not the military version.

Prince Valiant
06-02-2009, 04:37 PM
then the company that owned them (Chrysler) tanked and was bought by Daimler Benz.When Diamler bought chrysler, chrysler was in outstanding financial condition, building class-leading products. Diamler was hurting considerably by comparison and bought Chrysler and essentially raided their cash stores.

07ROUSHSTG3
06-02-2009, 04:39 PM
When Diamler bought chrysler, chrysler was in outstanding financial condition, building class-leading products. Diamler was hurting considerably by comparison and bought Chrysler and essentially raided their cash stores.

that is a different way of looking at it.

PonyKiller87
06-02-2009, 04:54 PM

Its all the same company isn't it?

And production of the military hummer is either gone or being ramped down because the gov has been taking bids for the next new truck for a while now.

Prince Valiant
06-02-2009, 05:15 PM
that is a different way of looking at it.But true. Chrysler at the time had some of the most desireable sedans mid and full size, the sucessful neon, the Ram trucks were still dominant, and jeep, as always, was very sucessful. Chrysler was enjoying profits the likes it'd never seen. And though it's stock prices weren't at it's high of 70-something dollars of the early/mid 90's...but were still around 54 bucks/share. Hardly the price/share of a fledging and/or bankrupt company.

Diamler "merged" with chrysler at a cost of over 45 billion dollars...yet gave up it's stake in the company 9 years later for only 6 billion...and then later payed cerebus to take more off it's hand for hundreds of millions.

Of course, when they "merged" it was supposed to create a translantic automotive powerhouse...with a single company using vast resources to be a force in pretty much every automotive price/class category. Alas, this didn't happen as many of the US engineers got chased off, with zee germans believing they understood the US market better than the american guys...in a class of auto's they'd never built for here. Needless to say, their ideas of what americans wanted weren't entirely on the mark...while the 300/magnum were sucess, the crossfire/pacifica/sebring/avenger/caliber have been "off" with dynamics that were very un-chrsyler like (I mean, though one may dislike the neon, there's no denying that it's a very different driving car than it's "replacement," the caliber).

In the end, chrysler was left without it's top engineers, many top and capable executives, and it's once flush bank account was but a mere 1/10th what it once was.

Rocket Power
06-02-2009, 05:36 PM

So it's just the boxy tahoe and the littler one?

Moparjim
06-02-2009, 08:14 PM
that is a different way of looking at it.

I worked there for 12 years. That is precisely what happened. Not only did something like 12 billion "disappear", daimler sold off everything they could including the HEADQUARTERS building in Auburn Hills, then Chrysler had to lease it back, the proving ground land in Arizona, etc. They sold their share of the brand new Brazil powertrain plant as well.They also raped the Chrysler side for every trans suspension and drivetrain component used in the LX cars for example. It is no surprise that shortly after Daimler bought the place the Daimler side of the business swung to profit and Chrysler was suddenly broke and losing money left and right...

Moparjim
06-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Its all the same company isn't it?

And production of the military hummer is either gone or being ramped down because the gov has been taking bids for the next new truck for a while now.

Nope. The original army Hummer was made by a division of American Motors. In the mid 80's when Renault bought AMC, the government made them spin it off into AM General since a major military contractor cannot be foreign owned. So, AM General has been making the military Hummer ever since. Shame, since several years later Renault bailed out and Chrysler bought AMC/Jeep from them and they would have then had the Hummer as well.

GTSLOW
06-02-2009, 08:20 PM

We're phasing H1's out anyways.