PDA

View Full Version : Here is an eirie link....

Yooformula
03-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Photos of post nuclear power plant explosion in Russia..

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/chapter1.html

PB86MCSS
03-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Interesting site. I always wondered what it was like in Chernobyl since...pretty risky to go through there but if I had the access I would too. Pretty surreal to go through a large ghost area like that, but relaxing in an eery way.

Shes kinda cute too :goof . Always had a thing for cute russian chicks, like the accent ;).

Prince Valiant
03-29-2004, 10:35 PM
yeah...I've seen that before. Really quite eye opening; Astounding even more are those that continue to live around there :wow

I tried to find photos of the glowing cloud that was mentioned coming from chernobyl, without luck.

Amazing how such disregard was shown to the firefighters who went to fight the blaze...they weren't aware of the dangers, and many died then and there...including the helicopter pilots who were instructed to fly OVER the open reactors and dump graphite onto the blaze were dead within minutes.

The mass abandonment is also astonishing...the ships that just sit in the river, unsalvagable; the apartments with everything left in them; the empty streets in such a large city.

I am big on nuclear power as the way to solve much of our energy needs and to be considerably easier on our environment; However events like chernobyl have retarded the nuclear movement perhaps for good...which is a shame. When one reads the turn of events that lead to the accident one sees that it was beyond needless and should never have occured.

Yooformula
03-29-2004, 10:51 PM
I read a few regarding books about the accident a long time ago and its amazing how the government had such a total disregard for human life. There were so many chances to prevent this incident but cost cutting and chain of command "red tape" got in the way(poor maintanence, faulty equipment,shody repair work). Not to mention how poorly trained their engineers were, it was a disaster waiting to happen. If they had just been honest with their people so many lives could have been spared but it would have caused them to "lose face" in the eyes of the world....or so they thought. The USSR and its nuclear program was a wreck waiting to happen just like half of their nuclear subs and military.:confused :eek:

Cryptic
03-30-2004, 12:02 AM
Chris were do you get that impression from. The US Navy does alot with nuclear power. I cant imagine they are not evovling it still.

My buddy from High School is in New York, teaching Nuke school now. I should give him a holler, see what he's got to say

Prince Valiant
03-30-2004, 12:20 AM
It's not that I think that nuclear power isn't progressing as a whole...it just that the last one went online in 1997 and many have predicited that it will forever be the last. Further evidence of this was that IN 97, they were planning or constructing as many as 75+ reactors...but during that year, they were permenantly deferred.

Personally, I HOPE that we continue to build nuclear power plants...far more effective way of powering the future. It's cheap and virtually limitless, and if managed properly very very safe.

animal
03-30-2004, 08:30 AM
Indeed very very safe. It's incredible to read about this one and three mile island and see the insane number of oversights, failures, and blatant disregards that have to happen to even pose a danger.

I'm convinced you'd never see a problem if there are strict enough rules and they're actually followed, not to mention putting in so much redundancy to go along with that. Oh well, people will still be blind to it and we'll never really see it take off like it should.

And then they'll still ***** about pollution and cost.

We should just like, turn north dakota into the country's power plant.

Al
03-30-2004, 09:11 AM
I liked reading about how she would rive full throttle down the streets in the country and in the city. Makes me want to go there with my pony.

SMS 1
03-30-2004, 05:13 PM
I agree with Chris also. How can we expect the public to believe nuclear plants in this country are safe when groups like MMSD can't even figure out something as simple as a water sewer?

Rocket Power
03-30-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by SMS 1
I agree with Chris also. How can we expect the public to believe nuclear plants in this country are safe when goups like MMSD can't even figure out something as simple as a water sewer?
What, you don't like poop water:goof

3rdGen Princess
03-30-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Power
What, you don't like poop water:goof
hhhmmmm, NO THANK YOU!!!!!

The pics were really interesting. They are some of the most detailed pics that I have ever seen of the area. Almost surreal! but very freaky!!