PDA

View Full Version : Dumb exhaust question..........

Voodoo Chick
06-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Here's my situation.....a few years back, I bought CHEAP headers for my Z/28, with the intention of upgrading them "someday." These headers are now rusty, and they leak, so "someday" has arrived. I am going to get the car ceramic-coated Hooker headers. Here's my question: Will this alter the car's sound/performance in any way? She is the only one of my cars with headers, and this will be the first time I have ever changed them, so I am not sure what to expect....I figure ANYTHING will have to be better than the generic, no-name headers she has right now.

animal
06-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Expect a lot of 4 letter words while trying to install them, a few busted knuckles, and perhaps a few wishes during the install that you still had manifolds on your car. :goof

I can't imagine they'll sound much different if you stay with the same design and tube size.

juicedimpss
06-01-2009, 12:52 PM
if they are not the exact same brand/style,your exhaust will most likely not fit back up as it did before.

Voodoo Chick
06-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Expect a lot of 4 letter words while trying to install them, a few busted knuckles, and perhaps a few wishes during the install that you still had manifolds on your car. :goof

I can't imagine they'll sound much different if you stay with the same design and tube size.

Yeah, I'm expecting it to be a miserable, knuckle-busting nightmare in hell. And....maybe instead of a "swear-jar," I ought to get a "swear 50-gallon drum" prepared for the occasion. As for the exhaust not fitting back the way it should, THAT is the thing I am fearing the most.....I am assuming that it will probably need some cutting, or adaptors.....or holy water....:durr

SSLEVO
06-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Whats done to the motor? I assume you have 1 5/8 primary? I would go up to a 1 3/4 if you are buying new ones. Like others have said, the exhaust may need work to fit up to these new ones.

Holeshot
06-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Personally I would scrap all but the mufflers if they are good and start from scratch. The time you waste running for adapters... will more hassle then its worth.

Voodoo Chick
06-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Yes, 1 5/8......What IS all involved in the fitting of the new ones?? How bad is it?

Voodoo Chick
06-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Personally I would scrap all but the mufflers if they are good and start from scratch. The time you waste running for adapters... will more hassle then its worth.

The whole exhaust, headers-back, is BRAND NEW, and I absolutely love it....so, that won't be an option.......

Holeshot
06-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Had no Idea it was new. Sorry Sunny

Voodoo Chick
06-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Had no Idea it was new. Sorry Sunny

Oh, it's OK!! No worries, lol....:)

77thor
06-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Yes, 1 5/8......What IS all involved in the fitting of the new ones?? How bad is it?

Don't worry about the exhaust pipes until the new headers are in....
it all may just fit with no mods.

SSLEVO
06-02-2009, 12:55 PM
What are your plans with the motor? It may pay to go with a 1 3/4" primary

Voodoo Chick
06-02-2009, 12:57 PM

The engine is already as I want it, but wouldn't 1 3/4 be very difficult fitment-wise??

juicedimpss
06-02-2009, 01:11 PM

i know of quite a few cars that have seen 10's with a 1 5/8 tube.

Voodoo Chick
06-02-2009, 01:19 PM

Plus, at this point in my life, I have NO plans to race this car....maybe in the future, but for now, no......I think 1 5/8 will be just fine.

Voodoo Chick
06-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Don't worry about the exhaust pipes until the new headers are in....
it all may just fit with no mods.

That would be SO nice.......but when does it EVER go that easy, lol????

Sprayaway Fox
06-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Hookers are great but why not a set of dynomax ceramic coats? Had 2 sets of those and lasted and hell lot cheaper.

SSLEVO
06-02-2009, 02:33 PM

I've also seen a honda civic run 9's, whats your point, lol. Sure a 1 5/8" will make more low end torque, but if you are going to build the motor i say buy them once, thats all i was getting at. Pretty much everyone running headers on a lt1-ls1 F-body runs 1 3/4" LT's. From what you are saying you will probably be fine with 1 5/8"

Voodoo Chick
06-02-2009, 03:04 PM
I've also seen a honda civic run 9's, whats your point, lol. Sure a 1 5/8" will make more low end torque, but if you are going to build the motor i say buy them once, thats all i was getting at. Pretty much everyone running headers on a lt1-ls1 F-body runs 1 3/4" LT's. From what you are saying you will probably be fine with 1 5/8"

Yeah, I think so......she's not an lt1-ls1, and most likely if I get a lot of money somewhere later in life, and decide to build the engine differently, I'll worry about all that then. My main worry is about fitment, and I can now double that worry because I found headers that will fit my Olds....in theory. I mean, it's just sooooo much fun having an anxiety attack over one car, why not make it two?? :durr

SSLEVO
06-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I think so......she's not an lt1-ls1, and most likely if I get a lot of money somewhere later in life, and decide to build the engine differently, I'll worry about all that then. My main worry is about fitment, and I can now double that worry because I found headers that will fit my Olds....in theory. I mean, it's just sooooo much fun having an anxiety attack over one car, why not make it two?? :durr

Haha, just buy them, there are prenty of people on here with welders, its not that big of a deal.

lilws6
06-02-2009, 05:11 PM
I got the 1 3/4" primaries cuz that was the smallest they had or i coulda choose the 1 7/8" to big for me i guess. What ever ya got now should be fine unless you plan on some crazy HP i wouldn't worry about the size. i don't plan on running alot of HP any time soon so my kooks are just fine