PDA

View Full Version : loan or leasing a car

88camaro
03-28-2004, 11:15 PM
im at the moment that i would like to get a new car (2004 monte carlo ss supercharged) and im dont know if i want to get a loan or lease the car. i would love any help that you guys can give.
thanks

Syclone0044
03-28-2004, 11:45 PM
I tell you what I'd do!! I'd spend half the $ and buy a nice used car and then use the extra money over the years to Hot Rod it and get it into the 12s or 11s!! But that's just the tuner in me speaking, if you need something reliable/daily driver/warranty then my suggestion is a little off, but not that much (i.e. you can have a reliable car in the 12s.)

Josh

88camaro
03-28-2004, 11:49 PM
right now i dont know if i want to wait and save up more money and buy in 2 years or get it asap. I will do some mod but i want to keep it driveable.

SloFarmTruck
03-29-2004, 01:54 AM
I would stay away from the lease, for the simple fact that you are basically renting the car. When it is time to turn the car in any mods or damage to the car will impact your final lease payment. If you decide to buy the car out after the lease, you usually end up paying for the car twice, because they will refinance you for the lease buy out. Leasing a car usually holds you to a mileage and/or time frame so don't plan on driving alot. I just don't like not having control over my vehicle. But if it is just a daily driver and you don't plan on doing anything to the car "yeah right" than leasing might be a good option.

Thats just my 2 cents.

02hawk796
03-29-2004, 08:56 AM
do noy lease.
loan or buy, depends on your needs, wants.
I can't think of any situation in which leasing is a good idea.
Buying a car that was leased by somebody else? Now THAT's a good idea.

JC70SS
03-29-2004, 10:46 AM
BUY! If you really want a s/c car why not a 98-02 GTP? You can probably get one for 8-13K and mod the heck out of it and have a better looking car? The new Comp G GTP is sweet! May want to check that bad boy out plus they have a great rebate right now.

rsscoty
03-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Leasing is only good if 1. you can write the car off for work
2. you want to trade everyfew years.

Undre a lease you can't mod the car and you can only drive set amount of miles a year usually 12-15000. That means that if you drive over 1-1250 miles a year your screwed.

The best thing about a lease is at the end of the lease, you can trade into another new car. Leases now run about 4-5 years with that kind of lease your better off just to buy the car from the git go.

Scoty

animal
03-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Don't lease, it's a waste. If you can't afford to buy it now, then wait, don't settle for less of a car just for the sake of getting a new one. Buy the car you want, and if it's not in the books now, then wait for it. You got plenty of time to save.

BAD LS1
03-29-2004, 11:22 AM
OK.

Buying a new vehicle has MANY advanatages over buying something older. The first of which is TECHNOLOGY, they have made wonderful advancments in the past 10 yrs with cars and the Monte SS is no exception. Youll have mid 14's out of the box with a WARRANTY. The monte's hold their value well and the more highly optioned it is obviously the more it will pull on trade in.

If you choose to mod it, it takes minimal components to get these cars hustling quick.

I personally am a big fan of newer cars because they are much less problematic due to the technology and besides i dont care to drive something with a ton of miles on it for a daily driver and have the fear of the thing taking a sh-it somwhere and your left holding the bag for the tow and the repair. Hence the beauty of roadside assitance.

Im certain your not all about having ALL OUT drag car as a daily driver/weekend warrior and are not intrested all that much in the dollar to performance ratio like my self.

Buy the Monte or anything new, YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED!!!
like you might be if you end up buying someone elses headache and get a real mechanical ass hole.....

PB86MCSS
03-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Older cars are a better value generally, IMO. New cars depreciate the minute they are taken off the lot....old cars many times keep the value or go down very little. By the time you pay off your *new* car the value of that car has gone down probably 20-40% depending. :eek:

I'm happy I have *older* cars to work on too since its cheaper to make them fast and to repair if need be...I've had quite a few total beater cars and never have had a serious problem. Drove a total POS across 1/3 of the country without a hitch and my *old* LS back too.

Warranties are good but I would recommend a new car to only a person who isn't into cars and won't modify them(voids the warranty right?) and doesn't have the know how or care to fix them should something arise.

I think a car thats 2-3 years old is a better value than a new one too, should be able to get some sort of warranty, lower miles and obviously a cheaper price. JMHO.

I hate to owe money so I don't know if I will ever get a new car unless I was able to put half of the price as a down payment or something. I love owning my cars, not some bank. :shades

JC70SS
03-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Agree 100% that is why my next project will be in the form of an LT1. Not that LS1's really hold their value that well either.

BAD LS1
03-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by JC00SS
Agree 100% that is why my next project will be in the form of an LT1. Not that LS1's really hold their value that well either.

BWHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAH whatever Joe.....

The farthest id ever go back is 4 years that way im still getting something OBDII.

this is a very "opinionated" topic, not gonna get very good feed back from this thats for damn sure:rolleyes:

Its all in what the person who is gonna be signing the papers decision is.

JC70SS
03-29-2004, 02:18 PM
Well OBDII goes back to 96 doesn't it?? As far as buying a reasonable car and making it fast as in "usuable power" LT1 is a more logical choice. Time will tell Tommy;)

BAD LS1
03-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Well OBDII goes back to 96 doesn't it?? As far as buying a reasonable car and making it fast as in "usuable power" LT1 is a more logical choice. Time will tell Tommy;)

Yeah but wasnt 97 the only year LT1's saw OBDII???

I may be wrong.... but then again i dont follow those cars at all...

Ill give you some "usable power":devil

JC70SS
03-29-2004, 02:32 PM
I may be wrong tom, but i thought 96 was OBDII. Anyone know the answer?

PB86MCSS
03-29-2004, 02:39 PM
From what I recall most Impala SS guys prefer OBDI and and try to get the earlier ones with it, not OBDII...96' was the first year of OBDI correct? I know if I was doing an LT1 swap it was highly recommended to go for the older version for an easier swap too...was considering EFI(LT1), but too pricey for the swap compared to any advantages I would have over a carb, IMO. Thats considering how cheap you can score LT1 engines for too.

EFI is awesome for a driver, converted to it for one car myself. But for a car thats a *pleasure mobile* its not needed, for my own tastes...as trick as LS1's are. I'll be happy with a gas guzzling carb :D.

Not OBDII related or anything but one radio ad I've heard for On Star scares me. It has a lady who locked herself in during a snowstorm, calls On Star or whatever, and they unlock her doors and I believe even started the car(might be wrong on that part). I'm not sure about you guys but theres NO way in hell I'd want that in my car. Not some consipiracy theorist whacko but thats too much like *big brother* for my tastes.

DRL's also piss me off with many newer cars :D. Pointless, IMO.

88camaro
03-29-2004, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all the info even the info about obdII. I dont plan on buy it brand new the ones that im looking at are about 2,000 less then the new onces. As far as the grand prixs i really dont like the a|ss end of them front looks good. I was going to get the older gtp but i really like the looks of the monte ss and no one here has one. want to be different.

P.S. DAMN YOU TREAD JACKERS :flipoff2: :fire

should we rename it when did ODBII come in camaros?
J/K:rockwoot:

BAD LS1
03-29-2004, 02:53 PM
I may be wrong tom, but i thought 96 was OBDII. Anyone know the answer?

96 is OBDII for most cars and some 95's yet too that were pull ahead models. but something sticks out in my mind about LT-1s not being OBDII till 97'.

BAD LS1
03-29-2004, 03:12 PM

Yeah OK!!! Ill be waiting on the return lane for you to catch up:nutkick

Hey i told you this topic was gonna get ugly and off topic in a previous post did i not?:goof

Prince Valiant
03-29-2004, 03:19 PM
Eh....wait till obIII. Things I've heard don't look good :(

Syclone0044
03-30-2004, 02:29 AM
http://s95370645.onlinehome.us/images/misc/backontopicfolks.jpg
:rolf

Hetfield
03-30-2004, 07:41 AM
Further hijack:

96's were OBDII. Even some as early as the Cali-spec 95.5's were as well.

Personally, I love OBDII...but then again I work with the computer rather than bypassing every 'feature' it has. Individual cylinder misfire tests are awesome. :thumbsup

Al
03-30-2004, 09:23 AM
Don't buy something "brand new." Try to find something with 5-10k miles on it still with a waranty. You will save about 25% by doing this.