PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prix questions

Wickedwrx
03-28-2004, 10:42 PM
I am looking into getting a daily driver and so far out of all the cars I have been looking at I like the Grand Prix the most. I am looking at late 90's ones with about 60,000 miles. How reliable are they. Is there anything I should look out for that are common problems with these cars. Any input would be great.

Poncho
03-29-2004, 12:23 AM
not any big problems.

early year ones had problems with poor quality headlight lenses, steering racks, and tranny's.

but overall they are a very well done and stout package.

IMO the best overall choice for the car guy. can cheaply made to haul ass, and well haul "ass"

For under $150 I had a 13 second car.

granted f-bodies, vettes, mustangs and the like are awesome for power. but if that's all you want out of a car.

plenty of room, huge trunk, workable engine bay. great looks, huge aftermarket. (a small dedicated group, but everything you could possibly want is out there and availiable.)

If I coulda made the choice again, I woulda searched for a Pace Car with lower miles, that's it.

If I were to search for another car that can do it all, I wouldn't look far. It'd either be another GP, or a Monte SS, or Impy SS. which are the same thing, different looks, and such.

My soon to be wife loves our car, and we both want another car next year to replace our geriatric Blazer, and she also likes Grand Ams, but I know one ride in that NA powerplant, and I know she'll just want a galaxy silver 2 door GTP. $100 worth of performance mods, and I know she'll be happy.

for the most part, I wouldn't bother on a SE or GT. The GTP is marginally higher on insurance, and you pay for premium gas. But the GTP having 2.93's as opposed to 3.29's in the GT -- gets better fuel economy @ freeway speeds.
If fuel economy were an issue, after a few mods you could just keep the stock 3.8" pulley on and run lower octane.

but as an overall scheme of things, for a every-day everything, year-round car that you also want to be a fast car, you can't go wrong with any of GM's Supercharged W-Bodies.

MyWhiteZ
03-29-2004, 03:40 PM
devin would you just buy an ls1 already..

Wickedwrx
03-29-2004, 09:39 PM
Don't need a ls1. It would just turn into another DSM/Subaru thing for me. It would be fast, but always be broken(Plus I am getting another DSM for a race car). I need somthing just to drive every day. Sorry billy, though a ls1 rx-7 would be a very cool project.:devil

Cryptic
03-29-2004, 11:46 PM
find yourself a 97' at least

Wickedwrx
03-30-2004, 11:59 AM
Great info thanks.