PDA

View Full Version : My new Grandpa Grocery Getter (rev 2.0)

wrath
05-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Picked up my new Grandpa Grocery Getter today. Might have to get a set of non-Dumbo mirrors for normal driving and swap on the trailer mirrors when trailering. If shit doesn't hit the fan tomorrow too at work I'll have some more pictures.

Camera is my better half's G10. I don't know how to do anything other than zoom and press the button.

Larger picture here (http://silverado.wrath.com/2009_05-30/silverado_L.jpg).

http://silverado.wrath.com/2009_05-30/silverado_S.jpg

awsomeears
05-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Nice !!!

97z2801ss
05-31-2009, 01:35 AM
Cool truck man, congrats!!

wrath
05-31-2009, 09:47 AM
It goes pretty good. It's not a Denali like Jeff/SLOWC5s but I wanted low range and an extended cab. I also didn't want to pay the extra $6k for a Denali.

I actually wanted a shorty (5.8'/69") box extended cab but I couldn't find one within 100 miles with the L76/6L80e. The nearest one was in Colorado. Found a bunch of 5.3L/4L60e ones.

And I couldn't find a max trailering package EC standard box truck without leather.

And if I wanted the L92 in an extended cab I would have had to order it and it's only available in a Silverado and it's a restricted purchase so I'd probably have to order it in Michigan where people know how to do that. And with GM's doom around the corner it'd be Christmas by the time I got it anyway.

It goes pretty good. The torque management rapes the L76/6.0L of its free will. Tip-in at 35mph is rewarded with fall-flat-on-your-face-then-take-off-like-a-bat-out-of-hell. The 6L80e is crisp yet slow. I suspect it's going to be a bitch to tune. Having driven a 5.3L/4L60e with the same tires on it, I don't know why anyone would get that combo. It's tried and true, the shifts feel more natural (for what I'm used to), but it too has been castrated with its torque management. No doubt in my mind that my 99 5.3L would blow its doors off with 30 fewer horses. I couldn't even break the tires loose with it.

But anyway, I like it. Haven't been able to spend any time looking at it because I've been at work around 40 hours in the last three days. I have a lot to learn about the GMT900s. Including why they put a tiny econobox car battery in it where on the last generation was the aux battery position.

u_say_go
05-31-2009, 09:47 AM
so you spent the house down payment on a truck?

u_say_go
05-31-2009, 09:51 AM
It goes pretty good. It's not a Denali like Jeff/SLOWC5s but I wanted low range and an extended cab. I also didn't want to pay the extra $6k for a Denali.

I actually wanted a shorty (5.8'/69") box extended cab but I couldn't find one within 100 miles with the L76/6L80e. The nearest one was in Colorado. Found a bunch of 5.3L/4L60e ones.

And I couldn't find a max trailering package EC standard box truck without leather.

And if I wanted the L92 in an extended cab I would have had to order it and it's only available in a Silverado and it's a restricted purchase so I'd probably have to order it in Michigan where people know how to do that. And with GM's doom around the corner it'd be Christmas by the time I got it anyway.

It goes pretty good. The torque management rapes the L76/6.0L of its free will. Tip-in at 35mph is rewarded with fall-flat-on-your-face-then-take-off-like-a-bat-out-of-hell. The 6L80e is crisp yet slow. I suspect it's going to be a bitch to tune. Having driven a 5.3L/4L60e with the same tires on it, I don't know why anyone would get that combo. It's tried and true, the shifts feel more natural (for what I'm used to), but it too has been castrated with its torque management. No doubt in my mind that my 99 5.3L would blow its doors off with 30 fewer horses. I couldn't even break the tires loose with it.

But anyway, I like it. Haven't been able to spend any time looking at it because I've been at work around 40 hours in the last three days. I have a lot to learn about the GMT900s. Including why they put a tiny econobox car battery in it where on the last generation was the aux battery position.

holy schit, you love details dont ya? why don't you throw some more part numbers and stats our way.
It's a TRUCK- no tuning, no burnin' rubber, don't worry about HP and torque....throw a bunch of schit in the bed or haul something with it, that's what they're made for.

wrath
05-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Still have more than enough left for a down payment on a house, just less of a security blanket. Recent life changes (getting married) pays for the truck... as we're saving a bunch of money that way. Getting married and getting a year older pays for the insurance.

Right now it pays to spend yourself into debt anyway. Next year when inflation spirals out of control you're going to end up paying money back that's a lot cheaper than what you borrowed.

Life is in the details. Otherwise you're just a worthless puke wallowing in your sorrows waiting to die. I listed regular production option codes.

To me, a truck is not just an appliance to get you from point A to point B.

Whose cat shat in your Rice Krispies today?

Voodoo Chick
06-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Looks decent.

Holeshot
06-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Those mirrors rock. just slid em in more.

michelle
06-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Looks decent.

You mean, it's not pretty!?!?

wrath
06-01-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm kind of partial to the power folding smaller ones but the power folding ones require a door module and BCM programming and different switchpads and and and.

Unfortunately, the mirrors don't go in any further. They're kind of a PITA because I'm sure I'm going to have douchebags running into them and shit. I'm used to fitting big things through little holes from all my years of wheeling and rally but those mirrors are a bit of a pain. The old lady doesn't like 'em.

Irish
06-01-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm kind of partial to the power folding smaller ones but the power folding ones require a door module and BCM programming and different switchpads and and and.

Unfortunately, the mirrors don't go in any further. They're kind of a PITA because I'm sure I'm going to have douchebags running into them and shit. I'm used to fitting big things through little holes from all my years of wheeling and rally but those mirrors are a bit of a pain. The old lady doesn't like 'em.

Either way.... NICE truck. I think they finally started to get it right, especially interior wise... too bad it's right before the end.

88Nightmare
06-01-2009, 02:08 PM
very nice truck. I personally like the interiors of the GMT800's better, but I'd love a GMT900

Red97GTP
06-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Looks good! Tom can probably tune the truck for you. I think he can do any LS motor. My bro, 84hurst, had his 4.8 Silverado tuned by him.