PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee wants to die on corners. HELP!

84hurst
05-29-2009, 09:21 PM
My friend has a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V6 and it wants to die around corners. There isn't much info on a google search but I've heard there may be a sensor on the steering rack that kicks the idle up on a turn (which could cause the problem). Does anybody know if this sensor is the problem, or at least a common problem? She isn't low on gas when she has the problem so I don't think its a fuel pickup problem. BTW, there is no SES light on.

stealthy1ss
05-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Contact TeamRev support truck. He is/was a chrysler tech at Palman in kenosha.

Holeshot
05-29-2009, 09:56 PM
IIRC that sensor only kicks up the rpm during low slow speed tight cornering IE parking lot maneuvers to assist week drivers. Are you sure its not fuel related ? Water in the tank or EVAP issues.

84hurst
05-30-2009, 02:25 AM
IIRC that sensor only kicks up the rpm during low slow speed tight cornering IE parking lot maneuvers to assist week drivers. Are you sure its not fuel related ? Water in the tank or EVAP issues.

I really don't think it fuel related just because of what I've heard from her. If there was water in the tank, why only on corners would it wanna die? I had heard of this sensor on the rack (possibly) and it made sense to me.

I will contact teamrev tomorrow and see what he has to say. Thanks for the lead! I'm getting frustrated with this and I haven't even looked at the car yet!

Irish
05-30-2009, 02:29 AM
I really don't think it fuel related just because of what I've heard from her. If there was water in the tank, why only on corners would it wanna die? I had heard of this sensor on the rack (possibly) and it made sense to me.

I will contact teamrev tomorrow and see what he has to say. Thanks for the lead! I'm getting frustrated with this and I haven't even looked at the car yet!

Has she tried resetting the computer.... sometimes they have a mind of their own?

Reverend Cooper
05-30-2009, 02:30 AM
the rack sensor i believe is vacuum assisted. the worst it could do is cause a vacuum leak and a lean condition.jmho

84hurst
05-30-2009, 02:39 AM
Has she tried resetting the computer.... sometimes they have a mind of their own?

I doubt she's tried that. How do you do it on a Crysler? Disconnect the battery? I'll tell her to try it. Or I'll do it.

84hurst
05-30-2009, 02:42 AM
the rack sensor i believe is vacuum assisted. the worst it could do is cause a vacuum leak and a lean condition.jmho

I'll see if I can look at it this week, a simple vaccum leak would be an easy fix. Would that cause the problem though?

Plum Crazy
05-30-2009, 06:51 AM
that sensor is the Steering Angle Sensor, and its all electronic, id check for codes, with those CAN bus vehicles, i may throw a code as "pending" and stay pending for a while. Id also check the Body Controller for "loss of Comunication" codes first. the Dealerconnect.com website is down, but i will look for TSB's and StarOnline Bulletins in a little bit.

Irish
05-30-2009, 09:49 AM
I doubt she's tried that. How do you do it on a Crysler? Disconnect the battery? I'll tell her to try it. Or I'll do it.

That's what I would do.

84hurst
05-30-2009, 12:46 PM
that sensor is the Steering Angle Sensor, and its all electronic, id check for codes, with those CAN bus vehicles, i may throw a code as "pending" and stay pending for a while. Id also check the Body Controller for "loss of Comunication" codes first. the Dealerconnect.com website is down, but i will look for TSB's and StarOnline Bulletins in a little bit.

Will a "pending" code turn on the mil? Do I need a special Crysler scanner to do this check or will any scanner work?

68coronet
01-04-2010, 10:55 AM
On the Jeep some of the earlier 5.7L Hemis had this problem. I can't remember what it was but, I believe it had something to do with the PCM. You want to visit a Jeep forum for the fix if you haven't already got this issue resolved. You could try resetting the the computer by disconnecting the negative battery cable and turning the key I think it is to 10 to 30 seconds to the start position.