PDA

View Full Version : Finally starting school...

Crawlin
05-28-2009, 07:01 PM
With all the graduations going on, figure I'm so excited I just got the good news!!

I have been accepted to start as a freshman (at 29y/o at that point hahah) to go to MSOE!!!

I am going to major in Construction Management. After graduation I'm hoping I can go to work for my dad and buy in to his company. But he'll probably be retired by the time I finish, haha. Going back full-time though.

Best news, they told me I was awarded an $8000/year scholarship. So not a ton of money, but every little bit helps!

So no more cars for a long time, but hopefully some decent ones when I graduate!

So here's a big :thumbsup to all the old guys starting school!

domokun
05-28-2009, 07:04 PM
congrats!!!!

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
05-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Awesome Chris. Best of luck to you and your career.

Korndogg
05-28-2009, 07:08 PM
I hope I see you on a job....lol

URLOZIN
05-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Congrats!

70challenger452
05-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Good luck there, I have some friends that go there and tell me it's a real tough challenge. It probably helps to be older and more motivated though. I'll be down there next year playing MSOE in rugby.

Exitspeed
05-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Good for you going back at 29.

I hope to go back and get my BA at some point.

Rocket Power
05-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Cool. I think you appreciate and take school more seriously as you age. 29 is young, I started at 34:rolf

Reverend Cooper
05-28-2009, 08:02 PM
good luck man

Holeshot
05-28-2009, 08:04 PM
:thumbsup That's great news. Now maybe you can get away from that bad influence parts guy you work with and have a real life. :rolf

LIL EVO
05-28-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm also going to be at school come fall. MATC Oak Creek. I need to finish up my Associates in Police Science that I started a long time ago at WCTC. Being unemployed is the best time to go back to school and knock it out.

Holeshot
05-28-2009, 08:59 PM
One of my co workers just graduated from that program. Hes testing with Oak Creek PD this week.

Nick
05-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Best of luck. VERY tough school and very demanding. I had a few friend who worked part time and went full time there and couldn't make it because of the demanding work.

0TransAm0
05-28-2009, 09:13 PM
congrats on going back to school.

not trying to be a dick at all but if your dad owns a company do you really NEED to go to school? can't you just work for him or "buy" into the company without schooling? or will the piece of paper you get when you finish school make that big of a differance? im not trying to diss what you are doing. as i wish i had it in me to go back to school but im just wondering why not just work hand in hand with the old man and go from there.

Crawlin
05-28-2009, 09:36 PM
It matters to me I guess. It's not so much the paper, as it's finishing something I started. And the education is huge. my dad is a graduate from Penn State University. So it's hard to measure up. It's a large construction company, so it's him and two other partners, and so it's more of a personal decision. He's done hospitals, office buildings, he did the Milwaukee Art Museum, etc... I'd rather get the knowledge and schooling and prove that I'm worth something, rather than just be there cause daddy owns it. This way, I don't have to work for my dad. I have a great realtionship with him, so if working together turns to be a bad situation for whatever reason, I still have something to fall back on.

Thanks a ton guys though! I'm super excited. And like I said, a big thumbs up to everyone graduating and even just thinking about schooling. It's tough to gather up all your stuff to send out the applications, but when that news hit of even just being accepted, I teared up a bit.

And yes, it's gonna be tough as hell. Luckily I'm in a position that isn't gonna require a lot of outside work time possibly if everything goes right. I'm so thankful to be out of the car business, it's overwhelming.

Beagle
05-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Best of luck Chris. Im sure one of us will let you drive their car when you have the need for speed :goof

Best of luck man :thumbsup

Holeshot
05-28-2009, 09:38 PM
You will do fine !!!

jbiscuit
05-28-2009, 09:51 PM
congrats dude!!! You'll do great! SO when do we get invites to the first college party? Ahh the good old days!

Voodoo Chick
05-28-2009, 10:32 PM
All the best luck to you.

HITMAN
05-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Best of luck Chris. I'm 48 and if I could afford to step back from all of the hours I work, I'd go back to school. Right now I'm majoring in taking up space and hardening of the arteries...:alcoholic

GRAMPS SS
05-29-2009, 01:05 AM
way to go Chris....your never to old to go back to school....do you have your HOT WHEELS lunch box.....

way to go...best of luck to ya....

0TransAm0
05-29-2009, 07:23 AM
i see your point. congrats on going back. and best of luck to ya!

wrath
05-29-2009, 07:43 AM
That's impressive. Good work. I've been talking about going back to school for four years. And I worked at an University for two of those years and they'd pay for all my schooling. And my current employer would pay for all my schooling. Apparently I'm retarded because I always find an excuse. So congratulations and good work going back to school.

Ricky Bobby
05-29-2009, 08:17 AM
have fun chris we'll see ya around in between homework i guess :thumbsup

congrats also :banana

Crawlin
05-29-2009, 08:30 AM
I actually wanted to go back in 2003. They still have my application listed as complete through UW-Milwaukee(i applied there too this year). Just never took that next step. But right now, I have the appointment for next tuesday to meet up and register for classes.

DoubleAron
05-29-2009, 09:17 AM
One thing you have to remember is your education can never be taken away.
Even if things would not work out with your Dad you will always have that education to fall back on and hopefully open other doors.

I know most people when they get older say that they wish they would have put more effort into school, I am totally one of them. I wish I would have tried different things, put more effort in, etc.
If your going to go back do it now before you have a family, job, big bills, etc.
It makes it alot harder when you have to juggle all that stuff also.

Good luck!

xFullThrottlex
05-29-2009, 09:17 AM
congrats man!!

DirtyMax
05-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Congrats! MSOE is hard as hell, especially if you have anything else going on in your life. I went there for one year and working full time really killed my studies. $8K probably hardly put a dent in that tuition bill, eh? I think it was ~$20K per when I went there and that's pushing 15 years ago.

BoosTT
05-29-2009, 10:31 AM
^^^ Yeah. I go to MSOE part time now. This upcoming year is my last year. It's $29k/year tuition only or $500 credit (@ trimesters). Expensive and hard. Good school though.

Don't plan on working more then 10 hours a week if you go full time. If your grades drop below a 3.0gpa, the $8k a year is gone. Otherwise, the $8k is an automatic given for anyone with a 3.2?gpa or above. It's still expensive as hell even with loans. My part time bill is around $5k year AFTER loans and everything.

Good luck! You'll be fine, just get ready to work hard.

DirtyMax
05-29-2009, 10:58 AM
If your grades drop below a 3.0gpa, the $8k a year is gone.

I had a full scholarship but the requirement was 3.8. Bombed one class (C++ :flipoff2:) and that was enough to put me below 3.8. To hell if my folks (or I) were paying $20K per year to attend that school.

Al
05-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Best news, they told me I was awarded an $8000/year scholarship. So not a ton of money, but every little bit helps!

Good for you!

Don't forget that there are more scholarships out there that you can apply to. Go to the financial aid department and look through their book of scholarships.

Flicktitty
05-29-2009, 11:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhuvlchBixw

Congrats, best of luck

Cutlass Queen
05-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Run for your life Chris! Run as fast as you can! hahahaha...I'm so glad I'm done with MSOE, it's a great school for education but it's no walk in the park. You'll have plenty of late nights, huge workloads, and want to quit numerous times haha. Stay strong and best of luck!

Prince Valiant
05-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Congrats chris...enjoy the college experience. Are you going to live around the MSOE campus? They aren't requiring you to live in the dorms, are they?

PonyKiller87
05-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Congrats and good luck, your going to need it. lol. Like everyone else said MSOE is though.

If you do try to work while going to school make sure that its in your future job field. A low GPA doesn't look bad if you have alot of good work experience.

I worked full time while going to school there for Architectural Engineering (same dept as CM) and my GPA was around a 2.4 at the end but I had 4 solid years of experience in the field. So getting a job wasn't a problem.

I'm pretty sure I know what company your dad works for, my company also did work on the art museum and we do alot of hospitals. So I'm sure Ill see you around eventualy.

Crawlin
05-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks again everyone. Whether that's an easy 8g scholarship or not, it's still something that helps overall cost. Atleast I know I worked hard enough back in high school to have qualified for that scholarship then. I do believe they said it was about $9000/semester and then of course they are a trimester school. So yeah, $27,000/year sounds about right.

The lucky thing is I won't be having to work full time. So I'm thankful for that.

He used to work for CG Schmidt while they did the art museum. Has been out of there for awhile and joined with Berghammer now so he could buy in to the company.

I'm actually excited about the challenge. Yeah it's tough. If it wasn't, everyone would do it I guess. Because of the program I'd be doing, I don't know if it'll be as intense as others, but I'm sure it'll be incredibly difficult either way.

I moved out of my current place so I don't have to really worry about that huge rent bill anymore. But I'm not living on campus. Parents offered to let me live at home, haha, but I'm not having that :) haha.

I have a huge group of supportive friends so that's what I'm excited about. Everyone on here being supportive and the closer friends offering help as well. It'll be nice to kind of be able to bounce things off my dad if I do run into trouble. He's offered a ton of help. They are already joking at his work about me being an intern there, haha.