PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else see what I saw yesterday? Or ever?

Prince Valiant
05-27-2009, 02:48 PM
If I wasn't on the phone when I saw it, I'd taken a picture...it litterally challenged my sense of reality seeing this:

Driving down 894 south bound just after the zoo interchange, I noticed a small helicopter hovering next to the tall power lines on the east side of the road b/w greenfield and lincoln.

On the pilot side of the copter was a platform with a guy sitting on the thing, working at the top connection (that white, top-hat thingy). The copter was basically hoovering with the platform touching the pole...

...if that's not the most dangerous job, I don't know what is.

TraceDaddy
05-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Hope they're being paid well.

Karps TA
05-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Didn't see it yesterday, but I saw a show on tv about the guys who do that in real remote areas. They even put on some harness and slide down the wires to the next pole.

That_Guy
05-27-2009, 03:02 PM
If I wasn't on the phone when I saw it, I'd taken a picture...it litterally challenged my sense of reality seeing this:

Driving down 894 south bound just after the zoo interchange, I noticed a small helicopter hovering next to the tall power lines on the east side of the road b/w greenfield and lincoln.

On the pilot side of the copter was a platform with a guy sitting on the thing, working at the top connection (that white, top-hat thingy). The copter was basically hoovering with the platform touching the pole...

i had seen this on the discovery channel it works on the same basis as a bird sitting on a wire.. aslong as there in no way to ground out your just fine.. freakin sweet regardless

Voodoo Chick
05-27-2009, 03:56 PM
I am TERRIFIED of heights.......even the thought of that makes me feel queasy.

TransAm12sec
05-27-2009, 04:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEKbMMHAwm0

http://mydocs.epri.com/docs/public/000000000001014541.pdf

DirtyMax
05-27-2009, 04:09 PM
I saw this on TV as well. I'm not sure you could pay me enough.

2000navyz
05-27-2009, 04:59 PM
thats a pretty common way to work on high lines when there real high or hard to get at w/. a bucket truct

wrath
05-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Yeah, we're paying to have the lines validated for how much power we can put through them. They're going to be going all along 894. And yes, they're compensated very well. None of them have been injured as long as I've been working there but we've had plenty of slips and falls and contractors cutting themselves.

Rocket Power
05-27-2009, 11:22 PM

Oh sure, they do cool shit in my backyard and I don't get to see it:mad:

VroomPshhTsi
05-28-2009, 01:24 AM
balls...