PDA

View Full Version : Who washed their car in the rain today?

Prince Valiant
03-28-2004, 05:38 PM
...and oh yeah...after playing 36 straight hours of poker thursday through friday in madison and the dells, came back, crashed for a bit and then got the garage and tools in order to begin "the procedure"

Did prime the oil system today...forgot to plug the hole for the oil pressure sending unit. Shot a 3/8 diameter stream of 60 wt. oil about 6 feet straight into the air :fire :rockwoot: :goof

Hopefully the tranny will be done this week :thumbsup

CruxGNZ
03-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Prince Valiant
Shot a 3/8 diameter stream of 60 wt. oil about 6 feet straight into the air

:D

!M!

Syclone0044
03-28-2004, 11:12 PM
I know this guy, Who Shall Remain Nameless, that changed the exhaust crossover/turbo-manifold on his Turbo Grand Prix, and thought it would be really fun to start it up with open headers. Then after listening to the ruckus, looked under the hood again to see the (disconnected) turbo oil feed line blasted oil horizonally across the engine bay straight into the intercooler , gunking into all the little fins.

To make things worse, this same character :rolleyes: was working on some V6 turbo truck and committed the same folly with the turbo coolant lines. Sigh, some people never learn :wstupid

Poncho
03-29-2004, 12:12 AM
hmmmm only one guy I know w/ a red McLaren TGP and a black syclone.....

BTW, anything done to that TGP?? I hear they are fairly easy to get into the 13's.

Syclone0044
03-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by 13SecPaceCar
hmmmm only one guy I know w/ a red McLaren TGP and a black syclone..... :D

BTW, anything done to that TGP?? I hear they are fairly easy to get into the 13's. You heard wrong!!! I heard the same thing and actually got a little cynical lately and scoped out the situation on the TGP messageboard Forum and as it turns out, NOBODY can produce ANY 13 second timeslips for ANY TGP!! There are only 3 reports of 13 seconds, 1 is a "corrected" time for a 14 second run at elevation, 1 is a G-Tech, and the other guy can't seem to find any timeslips for his TGP, OR his other car that also ran some surprisingly fast times.. :confused

The engine is good but there's a number of reasons nobody's got them in the 13s, mainly because the car is so un-upgradeable. I'm working on being the first in the 13s sometime this year though! And if it happens, I will have a REAL timeslip to show anybody who asks...

Josh

PS: To answer your original question, with 100K miles mine ran 15.3 @ 89 which is exactly what the magazines said they ran. I added a chip and boost controller and ran 14.7 @ 93. The main bottleneck is the stock turbo is a T25, the same one that is considered "small" on stock 2.0L 4 cylinder DSM cars!

Poncho
03-29-2004, 12:33 AM
i SWEAR there was a guy in the past on clubgp.com and w-body boards that had a 13 sec slip. I SWEAR. I remember this, cuz I went to a family reunion later that week, and I have a cousin with a 55k black TGP, and we were talking about the car, and I recalled that 13 sec TGP.

either way, they are sweet as hell, and nobody remembers them. certainly better than the TDC 3.4's from 91-96(7)

A tear comes to me eye whenever I go to Mayville. Some putz is driving around in a beat-up ass '89 TGP. I talked to em once, the dude didn't even know what the hell he owned.

Also a few years back there used to be a lightly gutted TGP @ Dave Martin's auto salvage in Hartford.

I drool everytime I drive by tom's and I see the TGP over there.

95 TA - The Beast
03-29-2004, 12:47 AM
Josh, you didn't happen to pick up the red TGP from a guy locally about two years ago did you?

I remember my UPS driver looking to sell his, excellent condition, original tan leather interior... Kickass that those have a set of real bucket seats in back...

Very rare, and quite honestly, after he told me he was selling it and showed me pics, I looked into them and unfortunately it looks like most people are complete idiots and totally fuck those extremely rare cars up... As in they don't know how to build them properly and hack the hell out of them (ie the engine compartments look like **** and the motors get thrashed, not to mention they don't spend a dime making sure the exterior is kept up), and the cars themselves are not given the respect an extremely rare car should get...

If it is the same one I hope you kept it in good condition and any mods you do, you spend the proper amount of money to do it the right way and not get cheap with anything... On cars like that and most other 'rare' ones it costs quite a bit of cash to do them 'right'... Unfortunately is seems like far too many of those cars went into the wrong hands because they were let go cheap enough... It isn't all about speed in all cases, those cars were setup as unique treasures in thier day...

Dennis

Syclone0044
03-29-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by 13SecPaceCar
i SWEAR there was a guy in the past on clubgp.com and w-body boards that had a 13 sec slip. I SWEAR. I remember this, cuz I went to a family reunion later that week, and I have a cousin with a 55k black TGP, and we were talking about the car, and I recalled that 13 sec TGP. Well, tell him to visit the TGP messageboard and post his slip in my thread and he can be crowned Fastest Turbo Grand Prix! :)

either way, they are sweet as hell, and nobody remembers them. certainly better than the TDC 3.4's from 91-96(7) Yeah I definitely like it more than the DOHC 3.4!! The 3.4 had WAY less torque than the turbo 3.1, and the 3.4 took forever to put you back in your seat (wasn't till 4500+ in the one I drove). I like owning cars that "nobody remembers" but I guess you might have figured that from the two that I own..

A tear comes to me eye whenever I go to Mayville. Some putz is driving around in a beat-up ass '89 TGP. I talked to em once, the dude didn't even know what the hell he owned. Yup that's pretty much standard. Very rare to see one that is not in shitty condition; front bumper all cranked and busted off. Mine isn't "perfect" but it's definitely the nicest one I've seen in person. Although I have seen some beautiful photos online of real low mile ones that were stored in winters (mine is driven year 'round daily driver).

I drool everytime I drive by tom's and I see the TGP over there. Thanks!!! :thumbsup

Syclone0044
03-29-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by 95 TA - The Beast
Josh, you didn't happen to pick up the red TGP from a guy locally about two years ago did you? I did buy it about two years ago from a guy locally, but right here in West Bend. It must be a different one because I have the grey cloth interior.

I hope you kept it in good condition and any mods you do, you spend the proper amount of money to do it the right way and not get cheap with anything... On cars like that and most other 'rare' ones it costs quite a bit of cash to do them 'right'... Well it is my daily driver but I agree about doing things right. I paid $500 for a premium stainless flex-joint exhaust crossover turbo pipe to replace the flawed-design stock crack-prone pipe, its the best you can get. I had the rear bumper repainted professionally when the clearcoat cracked, and the NOTOROIUS front valance (lower front bumper/air dam) that always cracks on these cars, I had a completely new one painted and installed, my car is virtually the only late-80s/early-90s W-Body you'll see with a completely proper lower valance, and I NEVER park close to the curb where it could possibly rub. I also had the mirrors repainted after the paint was clearcoat cracking.

I also bought 2 stock rims to replace the most corroded of the original ones, I keep up with the maintenance, and I'm looking at getting the best 4T60 tranny I can find, to handle my future upgrade plans.. Anyway, it's not a show car, but it's nice for a 1990, still looks great after a fresh wash.

Here's a small photo: http://s95370645.onlinehome.us/tgp/images/joshs_tgp1s.jpg

Click the following links for large photos:
http://s95370645.onlinehome.us/tgp/images/joshs_tgp1.jpg
http://s95370645.onlinehome.us/tgp/images/joshs_tgp2.jpg
http://s95370645.onlinehome.us/tgp/images/joshs_tgp3.jpg
http://s95370645.onlinehome.us/tgp/images/joshs_tgp4.jpg
http://s95370645.onlinehome.us/tgp/images/joshs_tgp5.jpg

Josh

95 TA - The Beast
03-29-2004, 01:13 AM
Josh: how manymiles were on it when you bought it, and was it ever driven in winter before you got it?

Poncho
03-29-2004, 01:38 PM
that TGP would rock with suspension techniques lowering springs. (front only, obviously)
wheel gap was horrendous on 1st gen W-bodies.
Thank god with the B4M(89-90)/B4U(91-96) update of 94 they did away with that multi-piece front valence. Very rarely do I see one intact or even still on the car pre-94

compare that wheel gap to this.
http://www.nconnect.net/~briones/chitown8.jpg
god I miss my '94. Not fast, but it was clean. esp. for 177k.