PDA

View Full Version : GM Warranty BE AWARE!!!!

A B4C Z
05-26-2009, 08:44 AM
#09-06-04-026: Identifying Non-GM (Aftermarket) Engine and Transmission Calibrations for V8 Gas Engines - (May 18, 2009)

Subject: Identifying Non-GM (Aftermarket) Engine and Transmission Calibrations for V8 Gas Engines

Models: 2006-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (Excluding Saab 9-7X)

2006-2009 HUMMER H2, H3

Equipped with V8 Gas Powered Engines Only

Attention: This bulletin applies to V8 gas powered engines ONLY. For all other gas powered engine applications, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-033D. For diesel powered engines, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-006C.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Motors is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission and catalytic converter part failures that are the result of non-GM (aftermarket) engine and transmission control calibrations being used.

When alteration to the GM-released engine or transmission control calibrations occurs, it subjects powertrain and driveline components (engine , transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear axle) to stresses that were not tested by General Motors. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy to cancel any remaining warranty coverage to the powertrain and driveline components whenever the presence of a non-GM (aftermarket) calibration is confirmed - even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed.

Warranty coverage is based on the equipment and calibrations that were released on the vehicle at time of sale, or subsequently updated by GM. That’s because GM testing and validation matches the calibration to a host of criteria that is essential to assure reliability, durability and emissions performance over the life of the warranty coverage and beyond. Stresses resulting from calibrations different than those tested and released by GM can damage or weaken components, leading to poor performance and or shortened life.

Additionally, non-GM (aftermarket) issued engine control modifications often do not meet the same emissions performance standards as GM issued calibrations. Depending on state statutes, individuals who install engine control module calibrations that put the vehicle outside the parameters of emissions certification standards may be subject to fines and/or penalties.

This bulletin outlines a procedure to identify the presence of non-GM (aftermarket) calibrations. GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine or transmission components, or before an engine assembly or transmission assembly is being replaced under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that catalytic converter replacement is indicated.

In May 2009, the PQC will begin piloting a process to confirm the ECM/PCM calibration is GM issued. Beginning on May 18, 2009, the PQC will require a picture of the engine calibration verification screen, as outlined in this bulletin, before authorizing any V8 gas powered engine replacement.

If a non-GM calibration is found and verification has taken place through GM, the remaining powertrain and driveline warranty will be cancelled and notated in GMVIS and the dealership will be notified.

Plug in the Tech 2®.
Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle.
Select "Powertrain".
Select "Engine".
*Select "Engine Control Module" or "PCM".
*Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available.
*If "I/M information System" was selected, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.

Take a CLEAR digital picture of the Tech 2® screen showing the engine calibration verification information as shown above.
E-mail the snapshot picture to tacsnapshot@gm.com. In the subject line of the email include the phrase "V8 Cal" as well as the complete VIN and Dealer BAC. In the body of the e-mail, inlcude the VIN, mileage, R.O. number and BAC.
Allow two hours for the PQC to verify the calibrations and set up the case details.
You may call the PQC two hours after submitting the e-mail for authorization to replace the assembly. This will provide them time to receive, review and set up a case on the request. Please be prepared to provide all the usual documentation that is normally required when requesting an assembly authorization from the PQC.
If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A", it will be necessary to contact the TCSC (1-800-828-6860 English or 1-800-503-3222 French) to obtain the CVN information.

07ROUSHSTG3
05-26-2009, 09:01 AM
chrysler sent the same letter a couple months ago regarding the diesel engine tuners. the manufacturers are tightening the belts. FORD has us testing all diesel fuel, inspecting oil, fuel, and air filters for aftermarkets, and as always checking for codes that show the vehicle was recalibrated.

BAD LS1
05-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah i seen that TSB on TBSSowners.com. In my own situtation i only care about the rest of the vehicle warranty, the powertain i fix my self.

Thanks diesel boys!

Waver
05-26-2009, 10:01 AM
cant the calibration be switched to stock?

That_Guy
05-26-2009, 10:10 AM
i take it there is a way to see if a car has been tuned in the past? if the cars tune had been returned back to stock?

BAD LS1
05-26-2009, 10:14 AM
I have not been able to confirm if HPT alters this information they are looking for. A step further would be GM evaluating the PCM and comparing it to stock, and that would out you very quickly.

wrath
05-26-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm more interested in if the BCM or ACM knows if you've been running on a different PCM than the installed one for 90% of the vehicle's life.

BAD LS1
05-26-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm more interested in if the BCM or ACM knows if you've been running on a different PCM than the installed one for 90% of the vehicle's life.

Mileage accrual would be diff.

07ROUSHSTG3
05-26-2009, 12:17 PM
i know on the FORDs, the mileage is stored in the cluster.

wrath
05-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Mileage accrual would be diff.

In the trucks it is stored in the cluster.

Squatch
05-26-2009, 06:06 PM
They released a notice like this regarding the diesels quite some time ago. GM has wised up to peoples warranty claim shenanigans.

Holeshot
05-26-2009, 06:10 PM
In the trucks it is stored in the cluster.

As it is in the GTO and the G8 but not the rest of the Pontiac family.

BAD LS1
05-26-2009, 08:18 PM
pretty typical of MOST GM's to have mileage count in the BCM at minimum, there are lots of GM's that arent stored in the cluster too.

Plum Crazy
05-26-2009, 09:43 PM
GM controllers you can tell, when you go to read the software number it has all question marks, if you are going to tune your car, and you still have warranty, buy an extra engine controller.

SlowMotion
05-28-2009, 11:00 PM
OH no!!! Tom does that mean all the fun I have been having in my truck since you "adjusted" it, may cause me to void my certified warranty? I guess I will save up for a built tranny and rebuild any problems with the engine that may occur...TOM Tune FTW!!! :headbang

BAD LS1
05-28-2009, 11:05 PM
OH no!!! Tom does that mean all the fun I have been having in my truck since you "adjusted" it, may cause me to void my certified warranty? I guess I will save up for a built tranny and rebuild any problems with the engine that may occur...TOM Tune FTW!!! :headbang

hahah perhaps, well my 08's warranty is fucked then too lol

wrath
05-29-2009, 07:05 AM
Speaking of, anyone tune a 6L80e yet?

BAD LS1
05-29-2009, 08:19 AM
Speaking of, anyone tune a 6L80e yet?

Yes, on Jeff's Denali pickup.

fly5150
05-29-2009, 01:59 PM
so could you get a new PCM and swap it out for warranty work, or would they know its not the right one?

SlowMotion
05-29-2009, 02:36 PM
so could you get a new PCM and swap it out for warranty work, or would they know its not the right one?

Dave, I believe what Tom was saying about the actual mileage being off would probably throw them a red flag, but I wasn't sure if you had a case learn done on the "new" computers if they would read as the stock unit that came with the truck. Might be something to try out???

limpimpg
05-29-2009, 05:48 PM
all ecm/ pcm all keep mileage,time ,dates, who reprogramed ,updated,or as stated unknown? etc. if they (manufactures) really want to know the manufactures have another programs that tech/mech don't have or know of.that keep track of rpms ,length of time, faults, parameters,etc etc with them.and more might work once but not to many times.this is going on awhile now. don"t blame the diesel truck guys.blame the guy who post video of racing his or her car .go to local event. then show up on monday saying their car is broke.when somebody from the dealership saw them or bragging @ party, posting video online .they (manufactures) log all kinds of information.during testing.so you are not going to pull one over on them.just now they have to cut cost.

wrath
05-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Yes, on Jeff's Denali pickup.

How much do you charge to flash a blank ECM?

BAD LS1
05-29-2009, 09:24 PM
How much do you charge to flash a blank ECM?

Can only work with current calibrations already in the PCM/TCM Only a download of the current GM calibration via techII etc will flash a blank one.

wrath
05-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Can only work with current calibrations already in the PCM/TCM Only a download of the current GM calibration via techII etc will flash a blank one.

I forgot, you have hptuners right?

95 TA - The Beast
05-30-2009, 11:00 AM
So, the real answer is, if you break your car under warranty and have an aftermarket tune, then fubar the PCM so it won't communicate... If you know what you are doing they won't even be able to read the information on the chips if they remove them from the PCM...

End result, they will have to replace the PCM and fix the car under warranty... Just don't try it a second time...