PDA

View Full Version : anybody here rebuild carbs? quadrajets

LEWETHETIGER73
05-26-2009, 06:46 AM
Looking to get my carb rebuilt. And I don't want to take it to the carb shop in west allis or waukesha. Bunch of hacks really pissed me off there once. So let me know thanks.

Voodoo Chick
05-26-2009, 10:14 AM
You can buy a rebuild-kit from Napa. The Q-jet in my 73 Olds needed to be rebuilt, we bought a kit, and my husband rebuilt it, it now works flawlessly.

shawn
05-26-2009, 12:02 PM
a buddy of mine had a cutlass with the same type of carb. went napa got a rebuild kit. and had it done in a day. ran great after to. really wasnt that hard. just make sure you do it on a clean surface with nothing around. dont want to get shti mixed up and be S.O.L

84hurst
05-26-2009, 12:04 PM
I would just try and do it yourself. Alot cheaper and pretty easy. I've rebuilt one or two myself.

GRNDNL
05-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Whats the problem with it?...

wrath
05-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Yeah, buy an Edelbrock kit if you can. They have nicer gaskets than the auto parts store ones.

Cleanup is more tedious and takes far longer than the actual rebuild.

lordairgtar
05-26-2009, 05:34 PM
If you buy a quality rebuild kit and closely follow instructions (and don't lose the tiny bits) almost anyone can rebuild a carb. Rebuild it off the car on a well lit bench and maybe take photos from all angles to remember where all the linkage goes. It's not some dark art hidden way in a spider infested castle. Peterson Publishing (Old publisher of HOTROD Magazine, when they actually carried articles to help you work on your car) used to have real good books on carbs

Holeshot
05-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Are you sure it needs a rebuild? A lot of times it a failure of either the primary or secondary pull offs. If not then do a float as part of the rebuild. Not included in car kits.

Rocket Power
05-26-2009, 05:49 PM
How is the primary throttle shaft? is it sloppy?

SSDude
05-26-2009, 08:32 PM
How is the primary throttle shaft? is it sloppy?

Ditto on the throttle shaft. If it's well worn you will have a lot of air leaking in creating a lean condition. Otherwise if the primary shaft has minimal play you can try your hand at a rebuild kit. Parts are getting harder to come by these days especially the pull offs.
I've done the general rebuilds in the past with reasonable success.

I had mine rebuilt by Sparky this last time, man he nailed it. He can do general rebuilds and concours restorations. He's up around 76th and Burleigh. He can re-bush the primary shaft if it needs it and can locate most any parts you might have trouble finding. www.sparkyscarbs.com

FYI the West Allis carburetor shop is no longer in business. It has reopened as a general repair shop.

LEWETHETIGER73
05-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Well to start with, I bought it from a guy that had it under hiwork bench for quite some time. So I thought better safe then sorry. Amd I don't want to pull it all apart and loose something important. But maybe I'll give it a try :)