PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber towels

Voodoo Chick
05-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Just wondering, is it ok to put microfiber towels in the dryer after washing them? Or does it ruin them? I'm talking about those brightly-colored ones you can get from Autozone, they come about 4 to a pack. I have a large number of them that need a wash, but not sure if I should machine dry them. I tore all their tags off before using them so the tags wouldn't scratch the cars' paint, so now I have no care instructions......Thanks.

GTSLOW
05-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Mine always get statically charged if ran through the dryer. I've accidentally had them go through the dryer with no problems tho.

johnny--2k
05-24-2009, 02:01 PM
yes, that's fine, just not high heat...

stenchmiester
05-24-2009, 03:37 PM
btw i for all u car buffs i can get microfiber cloths cheap along with with brand new shop rags

nismodave
05-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Do NOT put them in dryer if u dont have to!!!

GRAMPS SS
05-24-2009, 06:21 PM
no softener with the soap as well...

Yooformula
05-24-2009, 06:45 PM
avoid the dryer if possible but it wont ruin them, it might make them more statically charged though. Dont use softner or dryer sheets and I would just dry em on low. I dry mine often with no issues but not after every car wash.

BadAzzGTA89
05-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Just buy some new ones from Sams club for cheap:thumbsup

DRK
05-24-2009, 10:21 PM
The cheap bright colored ones have a polyester thread around the edge and will scratch paint, it's easy to see on a black car. I use those for cleaning and windows. The better ones like the meguiars ones have a cotton thread and are soft as a babys ass.

lordairgtar
05-25-2009, 12:05 AM
The better ones like the meguiars ones have a cotton thread and are soft as a babys ass.
That'd be a pretty hairy baby's ass.:rolf

jon_we4
05-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Just wondering, is it ok to put microfiber towels in the dryer after washing them? Or does it ruin them? I'm talking about those brightly-colored ones you can get from Autozone, they come about 4 to a pack. I have a large number of them that need a wash, but not sure if I should machine dry them. I tore all their tags off before using them so the tags wouldn't scratch the cars' paint, so now I have no care instructions......Thanks.

Use tide free - no softener. Tumble dry on low heat - no softner sheets. They should be good. However on the cheapie's I wouldn't bother washing you can get the sams club 20 pack for less than $20. But I wouldn't use them on paint.

I've washed my personal MF towels a half dozen times already this season - still working great for me. Of course mine have some more weight to them, but they never come out of the dryer 'clinging'.

http://www.carcaredepot.com/magento/bufferstowels/microfiber/grande-plush-microfiber-towel-16x16.html

I use them for drying off the car after a wash, buffing off polish and wax, and with quick detail cleanups.

Just buy some new ones from Sams club for cheap:thumbsup

:( I would only use those on glass or wheels - not on paint.

GTSLOW
05-25-2009, 10:43 AM
I've been using autozone/walmart specials for years on paint with no issues? :confused

jon_we4
05-25-2009, 11:11 AM
I've been using autozone/walmart specials for years on paint with no issues? :confused

I'm not talking about deep scratches, more like light swirl marks. Depending on the actual towels, the paint, and products used you might be fine. But I'd say its very common to find light swirl marks on cars. Only something you might catch off a certain angle of sun glare - or with some high powered lighting.

The cheaper towels use a different mixture of polyester/polyamide and are not as soft. Usually made in China and are not of great quality. The one's I have are made in Korea, have a really heavy weight to them (relatively) and are extremely soft.

GTSLOW
05-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Ahh. I think I have one of the good kind you speak of. It came with a kit I bought and it's alot thicker, and even after being washed softer than the cheaper ones.

07ROUSHSTG3
05-25-2009, 12:50 PM
i used to toss them in the dryer for a bit but now i do not need to. i just got a new whirlpool duet front loader washer and the spin cycle dries them for me.

xopher
05-26-2009, 12:13 PM
I put them in the dryer on low for a few minutes, usually less than 20.

When they get real grimey with wax and crap, I'll wash out the kitchen sink and then lay them flat and stack them, add a very little bit of Clorox Clean-up, and let soak in a diluted hot water/Clorox solution for a few hours. After that, standard wash and quick dry. Some folks say the nay-no on the bleach, but you need something on these towels to get the slime out, and it doesn't shorten the life of the microfiber too much. There are degreasing agents specifically out there for microfibers, but I can't justify buying a specialty soap for a specialty cloth in this economy :/