PDA

View Full Version : Terminator Salvation

Adamsy87
05-23-2009, 11:38 PM
So, who saw it and what did you HONESTLY think about it? I saw it opening night with Bosslx and Foureyedford and I will wait to give my review...

T-Bag
05-24-2009, 10:55 PM
It fucking sucks worse everytime I think about it. Christian Bale (not necessarily his fault) was mediocre at best and the only characters worth a shit were marcus and kyle (mainly kyle). Sure the special effects were great and all but it seems like the movie was chopped together. This is not the post-judgement day terminator movie everyone wanted.

Yooformula
05-24-2009, 11:01 PM
dammit. so what exactly did they put together?

Adamsy87
05-24-2009, 11:57 PM
I honestly feel that Christian Bale was mis-cast in this role. I kind of got the feeling that he thought he was playing Batman the way he talked through most of the movie. It really was a pretty good movie but I think Bale just ruined it a little for me.

05caddyext
05-25-2009, 07:45 AM
I have read several articles that said that Bale made it VERY clear that he didn't want to make this movie. He also felt that he wasn't the "right" actor for it, but they kept hounding him to do it. The movie was decent, great special effects. I agree that Bale was not a good choice, in the previous movies, and the tv show, the actor that plays Connor is a grunge hippie guy, usually a weak character that you are saying "how the hell does this guy become the leader."

Goat Roper
05-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Yeah terribly dissappointed in this movie

moels
05-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Damn, had this movie on the plans for today. May have to see something else. Thanks for the heads up guys.

xxtremeteam
05-25-2009, 09:46 AM
wayne it is cool to to see in the theater but i do agree its not the greatest movie playing right now

BOSS LX
05-25-2009, 10:30 AM
I thought that Christian Bale needs to take acting lessons. Overall I would give the movie a C.

Deggy
05-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Based on these reviews, and already not wanting to see it....

I'm still not going to see it.

I think Peter Griffin said it best. "I don't see why we need another Terminator"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjjDmPcabwI

Neal Steffek
05-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Go see Star Trek. Bad ass awesome movie. Even if you don't like Star Trek, go see it NOW!

T-Bag
05-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Go see Star Trek. Bad ass awesome movie. Even if you don't like Star Trek, go see it NOW!

Agreed!

2006wrxtr
05-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Suppose to go see it this afternoon, the kid wants to see it. Hope it doesn't suck to bad!!

T-Bag
05-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Its still fairly entertaining if you come in with extremely low expectations and just like special effects. Which i did neither...

STANMAN
05-25-2009, 11:55 AM
I was at a pre-screening Tuesday, it was OK. Bale was horrid, and so was Arnold, he looked so bad, you could SOOOOO tell it was all CGI.

T-Bag
05-25-2009, 12:41 PM
I was at a pre-screening Tuesday, it was OK. Bale was horrid, and so was Arnold, he looked so bad, you could SOOOOO tell it was all CGI.

Yeah Arnold was not in the movie at all...only a CGI Arnold.

Gregor
05-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Is it worse than 3?

T-Bag
05-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Is it worse than 3?

What is this 3 you speak of :D

HITMAN
05-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Everybody thinks they're Rodger Ebert these days...:rolleyes:

I just got back from seeing it. It wasn't a perfect 10, but I loved it, anyway. Just like any other sci-fi movie, you have to suspend disbelief and just let yourself get into it. That scene by the gas station alone was worth the price of admission. The editing was a little cobby, continuity wise, and I thought the ending was a little weak, but it's a movie, and movies (to me at least) are escapist entertainment. Using that as my criteria, this flick scores big-time with me. And really, who watches flicks like this for their acting performances? You want Oscar caliber drama? Watch your DVD copies of Godfather I and II. You want exciting shit with cool special effects, chases, explosions, etcetera, go see this movie.

And leave the movie critic attitude at home...:lame:

Nick
05-25-2009, 10:26 PM
I enjoyed the movie. Great special effects.

moels
05-25-2009, 10:45 PM
The boys and I thought it was a good movie.

Goat Roper
05-26-2009, 07:37 AM

You want exciting shit with cool special effects, chases, explosions, etcetera, go see this movie.

No, just fans of the series. If this was the first Terminator movie fine, great, but this was the movie that many people looked forward to to redeem the franchise after the mess of #3 and it did not even come close.

So yeah, if all you wanted was to see cool special effects and didn't mind giant plot inconsistencies, a horrid story and terrible acting, then yes, what a wonderful film. Inconsistencies can be made up for with a good story but this lacked it all, accept for your cool special effects, chases, explosions, etc, etc

Myles
05-26-2009, 07:54 AM
I thought it was a good movie.

Exitspeed
05-26-2009, 11:05 AM
It fucking sucks worse everytime I think about it. Christian Bale (not necessarily his fault) was mediocre at best and the only characters worth a shit were marcus and kyle (mainly kyle). Sure the special effects were great and all but it seems like the movie was chopped together. This is not the post-judgement day terminator movie everyone wanted.

No, just fans of the series. If this was the first Terminator movie fine, great, but this was the movie that many people looked forward to to redeem the franchise after the mess of #3 and it did not even come close.

So yeah, if all you wanted was to see cool special effects and didn't mind giant plot inconsistencies, a horrid story and terrible acting, then yes, what a wonderful film. Inconsistencies can be made up for with a good story but this lacked it all, accept for your cool special effects, chases, explosions, etc, etc

I totally agree. I was REALLY REALLY looking forward to this movie being a masterpiece. The premise had SOOOOOO much promise.

This is the best summary of the movie I've read online:

WARNING SPOILERS!

just saw it. that shit was absolutely terrible.

SPOILERS:

how to escape a t-800 bent on killing you - jump through a hole in the wall down to a lower platform. the t800 will not follow; he likes the elevator. just kidding. he tricked you.

efficient terminators don't crush the life out of people when they have them in reach. instead, they throw them, giving their prey large openings for escape and attack.

efficient terminators don't simply crush your neck when they are holding you by the throat. instead, they will lift you off the ground and strangle you to death, giving other characters time to intervene.

(this one I noticed right away during the movie)
giant flying hovercraft (with their insanely loud turbines) that deploy giant fighting robots (with giant thundering footsteps) can easily sneak up on you, even in a flat open desert with no cover for approach.

skynet doesn't directly interface with its terminators. it talks to them instead, via a giant talking head of person they are comfortable or familiar with, so the faux terminator can make a moral choice for the benefit of the audience. skynet can take him offline to fix him, but can't take him offline to prevent him from intervening in anything. because skynet is a strong proponent of free will.

it's not okay to attack a compound en masse when it has hundreds if not thousands of prisoners, but it's okay to nuke the entire compound when you've only saved 50 people or so.

the ONE thing that could have saved this movie for me would be a good battle sequence. that is what we've been primed for since seeing the guerilla warfare in t1 and open warfare in the opening of t2. and of course, it was completely absent. unbelievable.

FourEyedFord
05-26-2009, 11:10 PM
I am a HUGE fan of T1 and T2, and I honestly thought the movie was mediocre. They did a good job of keeping to the old movies in some instances, Sarah Conner's tapes to John and the look and build of the classic machines from all 3 movies, but in other instances it was like they didn't care at all. For instance the big one at the end that really killed it for me was when the T-800 got doused in liquid metal and lived, and at the end of T2 both the T-800 (Arnold) and the T-1000 (More advanced then Arnold) were both easily "terminated" by a pool of liquid metal at the steel mill. Another one that bothered me was the fact that the T-800 at the end of the new one had his hands all over John and couldn't kill him, COME ON!!!! You think after 30+ years of trying to hunt the guy down the machines would just get it over with, in T1 and T2 it was pretty much a death sentence if you were even touched by one.

Here's the thing. If you came to see a good action movie and had no prior attachment or liking to the Terminator series, then you probably saw a great action flick. However I was looking for a continuation of a series that are my favorite movies, and what I saw was sort of a ripoff of the Terminator story. Especially with a movie with this kind of recognition, the devil is going to be in the details. I liked the overall feel of the movie and the special effects, but it just fell short in the story and details department to me.

I am not trying to be Mr. Movie Critic either, I think most of them don't know a good movie if it hit them in the face. This is just what a big Terminator fan thought.

Exitspeed
05-27-2009, 11:22 AM
^
Yes, yes, and more yes. Agree 100%.

SlowStee
05-27-2009, 02:12 PM

I just got back from seeing it. It wasn't a perfect 10, but I loved it, anyway. Just like any other sci-fi movie, you have to suspend disbelief and just let yourself get into it. That scene by the gas station alone was worth the price of admission. The editing was a little cobby, continuity wise, and I thought the ending was a little weak, but it's a movie, and movies (to me at least) are escapist entertainment. Using that as my criteria, this flick scores big-time with me. And really, who watches flicks like this for their acting performances? You want Oscar caliber drama? Watch your DVD copies of Godfather I and II. You want exciting shit with cool special effects, chases, explosions, etcetera, go see this movie.

Hate to say it, but I agree for the most part. I will buy the movie on DVD when it comes out too.:thumbsup

Wasn't the greatest, but pretty cool.

Karps TA
05-27-2009, 03:06 PM
I for one am shocked to hear these reviews. With the way McG brought to life Charlie's Angels, and his work on the Offspring music videos I figured this would have been a well crafted and thought out movie.

Not too mention the writers were the ones who did Catwoman.

It would seem like this would have been a slam dunk.

T-Bag
05-27-2009, 05:16 PM

Give me a break, it was a sloppy as shit movie with plot holes, shitty editing, and shitty acting. It made for a pretty shitty movie.

*SNOOP*
05-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Horrible. Just horrible.

Exitspeed
05-27-2009, 08:23 PM
I for one am shocked to hear these reviews. With the way McG brought to life Charlie's Angels, and his work on the Offspring music videos I figured this would have been a well crafted and thought out movie.

Not too mention the writers were the ones who did Catwoman.

It would seem like this would have been a slam dunk.

This is sarcasm...right?

Deggy
05-27-2009, 08:30 PM
McG should keep doing Charlie's Angel's type movies and directing Offspring music videos.

Karps TA
05-27-2009, 08:43 PM
This is sarcasm...right?

About as thick as I could lay it on.

When I saw who was directing it, I had zero hope for the movie and was pissed they even allowed him to make it.

Goat Roper
05-28-2009, 04:45 PM
This is a great breakdown of what alot of people are thinking; http://screencrave.com/2009-05-27/why-terminator-salvation-isnt-a-terminator-film/

Rocket Power
05-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Guess I am going against the grain but I went to see it last night and I liked it. Had some great special effects, lots of action, didn't like seeing the dudes package though:goof

URLOZIN
05-30-2009, 10:22 AM
I went to see it last night. And I have never seen any of the terminaters, except maybe 5 minutes of the second one, and I thought it was a sweet movie!!