PDA

View Full Version : Hurst shifter=JUNK

Sprayaway Fox
05-22-2009, 01:46 AM
WTF happended to the quality of parts! I bought a Hurst quarterstick and they dont even have a jamnut to hold the cable onto the shifter! They got this chincy peice of metal that clips into the cable. The linkage is sloppy as a mo fo.:fire

If anybody is thinking of getting one ever get a B&M prostick or something B&M the Hurst is JUNK.

Irish
05-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Damn that sucks. Can't you just change the cable? Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the cable what's threaded for the jam nut?

Sprayaway Fox
05-22-2009, 12:09 PM
No, its got a chincy body clips on it to hold it in place, instead of a 2 jamnuts on the bottom and its bolted to the shifter its got sheetmetal body clips that pinch the cable to the shifter. B&M ALL THE WAY!

TraceDaddy
05-22-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm a bit of a neophyte when it comes to auto mechanics, but what cable? I replaced my shifter with a Hurst and there was no such thing. I love mine.

Irish
05-22-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm a bit of a neophyte when it comes to auto mechanics, but what cable? I replaced my shifter with a Hurst and there was no such thing. I love mine.

Is yours a manual? The shifter we are talking about is a ratchet shifter for automatics.

SSLEVO
05-22-2009, 12:31 PM
China is whats happened, lol

TraceDaddy
05-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Is yours a manual? The shifter we are talking about is a ratchet shifter for automatics.

It is. Got it then.

Voodoo Chick
05-22-2009, 02:47 PM
I am not terribly familiar with shifters, so what makes a ratchet shifter different??

SBC-Fox
05-22-2009, 02:59 PM
I love my b&m pro ratchet

lordairgtar
05-22-2009, 04:28 PM
I am not terribly familiar with shifters, so what makes a ratchet shifter different??
Ratchet shifters move one gear position at a time. Push it forward or pull it back and it only moves one position. You need to ratchet it again to move into the next position. Starting all the way back in first gear, you push the shifter forward into second. When you release the shifter, the handle comes back into a neutral position waiting for the next shift. You push it ahead again and you're in third gear and the handle comes back for the next gear. So it's always push, release, push, release.

Gate shifters use a "gate" to move the shifter through the gears. The gate is normally designed so it will only move one gear at a time. Starting all the way back in first gear you would push the shifter up into second. The handle will stay in that position. From there, the shifter would move over before it could be moved up into third. That's the "gate".

Ratchet shifters are not common in a street car. You're ratcheting it back and forth through the gears and need to rely on an indicator to tell you what gear you're in because the handle is always in a center neutral position. A gate shifter can be moved through the gears quicker depending on the gate design and you can easily look at where the handle is to know what gear position you're in.

FourEyedFord
05-22-2009, 07:35 PM
I have the same setup. I think you are putting the clip in the wrong way. Try flipping it around, and tapping it in, the edge on the top of it should be facing toward the shift lever.

FourEyedFord
05-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Here is a pic. If you have the clip flipped around, it won't hold the cable solid at all. Mine has worked flawlessly, and I will never put another type of shifter in my car.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/YellowNotch/hurststick.jpg

stealthy1ss
05-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Sorry to sidetrack the thread but wasn't Hurst bought out by B&M sometime last year?

Sprayaway Fox
05-22-2009, 11:30 PM
I think they were bought out.

Thanks for the pic 4 eye, I have them in correctly but it seems smoother compared to my B&M Pro Sticks, Just feels sloppy to me but Ill recheck it this weekend. I cant send it back anymore cause its been laying around too long so I gotta make it work.

HITMAN
05-23-2009, 01:41 AM
If your showing your car, then buy a shifter for looks. If you need to depend on it to win races, then look for something built like a tank. Hurst = B&M and as far as I am concerned all of their auto-shifters are all junk. I've NEVER owned a B&M that wasn't a gadgety flimsy POS. My last B&M (Pro Ratshit) was the straw that broke the camel's back. Fucking GARBAGE! The mass produced shifters are made of thin stampings and they come with junk-ass thin cables that last about a year. The last shifter I used in my Road Runner was a Turbo Action Cheetah shifter. Awesome. The damned thing worked perfect, every time. The cable that came with it was twice as thick as the garbage ones from Hurst/B&M and moved like butter. No binding, EVER! It's expensive, bulky and kinda ugly but IMHO, worth every penny.