PDA

View Full Version : Walked into my home being burglarized...

Prince Valiant
05-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Yep, earlier to today came home to find that my home was being burglarized.

It was weird. Came home to find the back door open...which by itself isn't the weirdest thing in the world as it's an old door that sometimes doesn't shut all the way, and wind will blow it open. But, I was returning from walking the dogs and as I came in toward the back, they both froze, with little gizmo started barking and then took-off into the house. The much larger sassy started barking at that moment and took-off a moment later.

Walked in kind of perplexed...I didn't hear anything going on or commotion going on (I am hard of hearing) and noticed a garbage bag in the middle of the kitchen floor. At the same time, noticed the front door was open, and that's NOT a normal occurrence. Quick walked around and noticed things kind of not how they should be and made a quick check of the bedroom where the door was closed to make sure no one was in there. At this point, though I know something is wrong, I'm still not exactly sure what just happened...

When I checked the garbage bag, I notice it had some of my valuables (and they aren't that valuable) in it...and then it dawned on me. I was being burglarized when I walked into the back yard.

Sassy is still in the house running around barking...but gizmo was gone. So I checked the backyard quickly as he often runs back there if the back door is left open...not there, so quick went to through the front. Needless to say, I was very relieved to see him walking back toward the house looking satisfied that he'd done a good job chasing of the burglar(s).

Now, I do have three dogs...one of whom was home while this occurred. Shocking to say, but 12 y/o blind and overweight pugs DON'T make good watchdogs! Don't get one for that purpose!

Called the cops and they literally were there in less than 3 minutes...3 squads came. One took off when he found that the burglar(s) had left within 5 minutes and tried to see if he could find him/them. Two others stuck around and investigated. They sent a detective and photographer/evidence collector to lift prints where they could. Cool guys, very professional, very helpful. In the end, the stole a couple soda's and my freekin' deli sliced turkey! One of the soda's they found down the street where gizmo had chased them.

A neighbor noticed/heard the commotion as gizmo chased them, but didn't catch a glimpse of the perp(s).

Needless to say, there are going to be some changes around the house so hopefully to reduce the chances of something like this from happening again. And hopefully one of the changes will be my address too....I like my neighborhood and all, and no neighborhood is immune to crime, but I'd still feel better elsewhere.

Not mad...though I wish I could have seen or given at least some chase so I could have given the cops a description. Really, I'm just thankful that my wife wasn't here or harmed, and neither were the dogs. Good to know that my dogs would protect me...and my little 20 lb terrier was the hero as I probably would have been able to actually walk in before they noticed me perhaps putting me in grave danger; needless to say, the dogs will get extra treats tonight :thumbsup

Karps TA
05-20-2009, 08:14 PM
That kinda crap is scary to think what if's on. Thankfully you didn't lose anything important.

When I was a kid we owned a bar on 23rd and Rogers. The kind where the living quarters is behind the bar. We were broken into probably 5 times a year. Despite alarms, despite bars on the windows. My dad caught the guys quite often. Introduced one's face into our pool table several times. Which of course my dad got sued for....

subliminal1284
05-20-2009, 08:25 PM
This is why we need concealed carry, bet those f*cks would think twice before ever doing that again if they lived.

moels
05-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Glad you guys are ok. Give those doggy's some steak tonight!

Larrygto
05-20-2009, 09:16 PM
I would have loved to see your little dog chasing that Jackass down the street!!!

UnderPSI
05-20-2009, 09:28 PM
That's why I started my ADT service again. I just heard of some one else being burglarized. One of those things that you don't think about until it happens. At least everyone is ok.

GRAMPS SS
05-20-2009, 09:48 PM
glad you weren't hurt..or your wife if she would of walked in Chris...you have to feel violated to say the least...will they or won't they be back...another reason i got out of the area i lived in when i was in milwaukee.....you need Brad to put in a system as fast as he can for you...again..glad your ok....

u_say_go
05-20-2009, 09:53 PM
This is why we need concealed carry, bet those f*cks would think twice before ever doing that again if they lived.

you can legally open carry.

Glad you and the wife weren't harmed, consider yourself lucky. I highly doubt they'll return, but a move will give you peace of mind- I speak from experience.
good luck

USMARINE1108
05-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Wow, I'm glad your family and you are okay. Good to hear they didnt make off with anything either. I'm not going to rant about how much stuff like that pisses me off, but I'm sure most of you feel the same way.

Again, I'm glad you guys are okay, and give the dogs something extra tonight.

GTSLOW
05-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Wow that is crazy. I'm sure my 3 dachshunds would be much less intimidating.

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Living in a horrible neighborhood I am glad I have never have had this happen to me, very scary to say the least.
I don't even really care about the stuff, just the feeling of violation of someone coming into your place. Me and my wife both agree that we don't even know if we would want to be in the house anymore if this happened to us, seems like the house would never be the same or feel right.

I guess maybe if a guy had an AR-15 at the ready it would give him some peace of mind ? But I would not want to have to live in a home worrying about that and feeling I have to watch my back in my own home. F'ing dirtballs. :flipoff2:

lordairgtar
05-20-2009, 10:46 PM
I am glad you did not come across a gun wielding crook. Now for the advice: Move the fuck out of that neighborhood, all of you guys in bad places. I did, and even though it costs me more to live where I live, I am pretty sure I won't come upon someone raiding my apartment. Of course, Paris the dog would be dining on their carcass in the living room.

Yooformula
05-20-2009, 10:47 PM
wow chris glad you guys are ok and nothing of value was taken.

GRAMPS SS
05-20-2009, 10:51 PM
you can legally open carry.

totally depends on the municipality in which you are located...on the news they said it's a disorderly conduct ticket at the least...so as of now...NOT.....get rid of the gov...and we'll see what happens with the new one...:thumbsup

Russ Jerome
05-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Dam Chris thats too close for comfort!

The M.O. of eating your food casualy instead of hauling
and heading out points toward the usual suspects. I'm
gonna make a habit of passing bye your place, love to
be at the right place at the right time :devil

Nick
05-20-2009, 11:11 PM
heh - You can open carry all you want, but if you use deadly force in any way even on a burgler in self defense, prepare to be imprisoned.

Rocket Power
05-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Wow that really sucks, I am hoping my two dogs will scare off any potential problems, they bark like crazy when anyone is near the house. And they're moderately sized dogs

Gregor
05-20-2009, 11:16 PM
heh - You can open carry all you want, but if you use deadly force in any way even on a burgler in self defense, prepare to be imprisoned.

Thats why you drag their a$$ back into the house after you shoot them. Oh and be sure you place a kitchen knife in their hands.

Irish
05-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Thats why you drag their a$$ back into the house after you shoot them. Oh and be sure you place a kitchen knife in their hands.

QFTMFW!!!! Glad you and the family are alright Chris. If you'd like to set up a basic camera system, pm me, I can help you out with that. And.... it wouldn't be very expensive.

Sprayaway Fox
05-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Glad to hear they didnt get your stuff. Ya should see if theres enough room to get a rotwiler or a bigger dog. As for the conceal carry thing if you shoot them BELOW the waist you cant get Murder 1.:banana1:

97z2801ss
05-21-2009, 01:35 AM
First off Im glad your okay, second glad nothing of value was stolen. It could have been alot worse though and foronce the cops came sooner then later!

Prince Valiant
05-21-2009, 08:25 AM
yeah, got to give the cops props. I mean, it was a phone call and literally as I was hanging up (I was still talking as I was putting the dogs away), they were there.

First things first is new steel doors...and then Meg and I will decide what we want next. I am liking the sound of a real alarm system...if anything, it'll help allay any concerns a buyer might have when I look to sell.

And Meg and I ARE thinking about another dog...perhaps a german shepard/rotty/airedale...or my sentimental pick, a bullmastiff.

Myles
05-21-2009, 08:27 AM
I think you should get some motion sensor turrets.

juicedimpss
05-21-2009, 08:48 AM
this is the main reason i dont keep food at home.

sorry to hear you got viiolated,glad to hear it wasnt as bad as it could have been.

Myles
05-21-2009, 08:58 AM
this is the main reason i dont keep food at home.

:rolf:rolf

Thats funny.

Chris, if you find the guys let me know, we will go raid their fridge.

jbiscuit
05-21-2009, 09:11 AM
is it illegal in Milwaukee county to install landmines in your yard?

juicedimpss
05-21-2009, 09:15 AM
is it illegal in Milwaukee county to install landmines in your yard?

i hope not,my dog left a bunch in back yard.........

MurphysLaw88GT
05-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Sorry to hear about this.

Prince Valiant
05-21-2009, 10:27 AM
this is the main reason i dont keep food at home. That was the funny thing...

The cops "recovered" the soda right? So they set it out prominently in the front yard while they sat out in their car (they were there a total of 2.5 hours) saying "we're trying to lure them back" :rolf

funny guys, funny guys :D

HY35F2T
05-21-2009, 10:42 AM
That was the funny thing...

The cops "recovered" the soda right? So they set it out prominently in the front yard while they sat out in their car (they were there a total of 2.5 hours) saying "we're trying to lure them back" :rolf

funny guys, funny guys :D

hahaha.

or leave some crack on the sidewalk:goof

michelle
05-21-2009, 04:00 PM
My sister told me that a lot of things have been stolen from the street I used to live on (my parents still live in the same house). A guy had his laptop stolen out of his car, GPS's have been taken, lawn equipment, tools, etc. Nothing has been broken into, just someone going into areas that aren't locked (sheds, garages, cars).

Me thinks it is time to get a Great Dane to intimidate anybody who stops by for a visit! Otis, Roush, and Oscar just don't have the same affect.

Russ Jerome
05-21-2009, 04:36 PM

I would have left a bottle of Courvoisier out there, laden
with enough chlorine to cause instant blindness.........

spindler27
05-21-2009, 04:44 PM
My sister told me that a lot of things have been stolen from the street I used to live on (my parents still live in the same house). A guy had his laptop stolen out of his car, GPS's have been taken, lawn equipment, tools, etc. Nothing has been broken into, just someone going into areas that aren't locked (sheds, garages, cars).

Me thinks it is time to get a Great Dane to intimidate anybody who stops by for a visit! Otis, Roush, and Oscar just don't have the same affect.

that sounds like a bunch of bored kids, a true criminal would break into anything, breaking windows etc, people who only look for cars with open doors are rookies! haha, NOT speaking from experience

theavenger333
05-21-2009, 05:11 PM

now this is one of the biggest reasons the CC law is getting dicked around. criminals are criminals, and they will go after something if they want it. being allowed to have a gun ON you is zero difference then having one in your home. if they want to rob you, they will. they obviously knew chris was not home, so would them thinking "hmm, i hope he doesn't have a 9mm on him" stop them in any way? no. it just makes you sound ignorant.

subliminal1284
05-22-2009, 05:58 PM
He walked in on them genius, in which case he would of had the pleasure of shooting them.

michelle
05-22-2009, 06:23 PM
that sounds like a bunch of bored kids, a true criminal would break into anything, breaking windows etc, people who only look for cars with open doors are rookies! haha, NOT speaking from experience

Yeah, that's what we all figured. I'm sure some kids down the road need some drug money.