PDA

View Full Version : E4od

Yeehaw
05-19-2009, 10:09 AM
not sure what is actually wrong with it, it does not slip and goes between park, reverse, drive etc. just fine but when driving it has an issue shifting, it will rev high under normal acceleration sometimes shifts real hard other times smooth, if you jump on it the truck revs to 3k rpm and sits there til you let off a little bit then will kick into the next gear. i added some mercon V additive as a friend suggested seemed to work ok for a few days now its acting up again looking to maybe just have it rebuilt seeing as it is just shy of 300k miles, any suggestions?

Car Guy
05-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Justice Brothers makes a flush kit that might help, for $100 (kit, new filter/fluid, additive) it's worth a shot.....:)

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Junk trans and behind that motor it sure isn't its first trans @ 300k. IMO anyway.
If you want to keep that truck you should have a "built" trans put in, or if you just want to keep it for a little while and then sell it maybe just a stock duty trans will suffice for $1000 less.

FourEyedFord
05-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Junk trans and behind that motor it sure isn't its first trans @ 300k.

I agree that there is no way that trans has all 300k miles on it, but E4ODs are not a bad tranny. The one in my truck just has a valve body in it, and it holds up to quite a bit of power in a pretty heavy truck.

Have you asked any of these questions on either powerstrokenation.com or powerstroke.org? Before you go and buy a trans, and I would seriously try an upgraded valvebody first. It is SUPER simple to put in, only like 11 bolts holding it in, and if it doesn't fix your problem, it is still a good upgrade to help keep the next trans happy. :thumbsup
(I paid $230 + a $70 core for mine)

Yeehaw
05-21-2009, 06:24 PM
original ford trans yes...changed fluid twice i have receipts from previous owner....

guy at local shop says he thinks its the solenoid going to scan the computer with his scanner while driving to see what the sensor reads thinking of just putting a built trans in it anyways truck will need it and i plan on keeping it for a longtime

Gregor
05-21-2009, 09:29 PM
I have had 2 E4OD trans in my life and both needed to get rebuilt. They are very strong transmissions once rebuilt with the proper parts. When Ford came out with them they were as strong as a C6 but were extremely expensive to manufacture. So the bean counters stepped in and striped the beefed up parts out of them. First gen E4OD are the worst of the series(89-93), but the later ones are much stronger(94+).

Mine did the same thing before I had it rebuilt. I limped it along for 18 months by 6000 mile filter and fluid changes. And installing a 20000 LBS rated cooler. In the end I had to start putting in Lucas trans slip. I had mine rebuilt for around 1900 and installed. Fasttimes did the install and a trans shop did the rebuild. I had some of the weaker guts replaced with heavy duty parts that would help with towing. I was a great trans after that and towed like a dream.

Russ Jerome
05-23-2009, 12:32 PM
it does not slip and goes between park, reverse, drive etc. just fine but when driving it has an issue shifting, it will rev high under normal acceleration sometimes shifts real hard other times smooth, if you jump on it the truck revs to 3k rpm and sits there til you let off a little bit then will kick into the next gear.

Wear components are not wore, its a control issue that is
repairable in vehicle. Sounds electrical, servo would not
give the described complaint. Your truck is very prone to
rotting the connectors at the neutral safety switch (does
a lot more than just neutral safety, at shift rail) and the
pass side connection. Pull those two first and look for green
pins and rubbed harness externaly. With those two checked
out we can scan it and watch solenoid desired and actual
positions...........or just junk it for a bad connection.

With it working correctly there are seperator plate mods
that can be done for $3 to help limp it for a few more miles.

Yeehaw
05-23-2009, 01:51 PM
thanks russ ill have to check those out would not doubt corrision being a ford