PDA

View Full Version : Were did the time go

Dr.Buick
05-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Mark (A RACER)
Jim P (Dr Ford) and myself were all talking the outher day, and 5-10 years ago we would have dreamed to have 1000 hp engines, and now we do and it is still not enough, maybe i am feeling old but 5 years ago if you seen a turbo matbe two or a charger it was a big thing and now everyone has then, funny how time flyes

juicedimpss
05-18-2009, 06:05 PM
isnt that the truth,1k/hp isnt shit anymore for you big dawgs.

SSLEVO
05-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Yeah, there will always be someone faster... I think i will stick to road racing, still just as expensive, but huge power isn't needed to go fast.

scottie K
05-18-2009, 07:16 PM
dam reality....!!!! hahah in 2005 we had a 800hp sbc in the mustang and 2006 we had a 1200hp bbc 2007 -1200-1300hp and now that ant crap.. you have to bee some were about 1600hp to be up to date i can onnly dream of having a car that makes 2000hp or better

nismodave
05-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Its too crazy out there now.

More than ever its the biggest wallet that wins races.

More reason to build a nice street car, get it to a point where its enough to snap your head back when you floor it, and just enjoy.

Lash
05-18-2009, 08:31 PM

More reason to build a nice street car, get it to a point where its enough to snap your head back when you floor it, and just enjoy.

Truth!

Rocket Power
05-18-2009, 09:23 PM
:wstupid

TheRX7Project
05-18-2009, 09:39 PM

Yep!

Especially for us little guys. As much as I'd love to build that 900hp 4-rotor twin-turbo... I don't have the 10 grand to drop on the eccentric shaft.

So I'll just build something I can afford, and make it fun.

Voodoo Chick
05-18-2009, 09:40 PM

Absolutely. I agree with this post 100 %. All it comes down to these days is who has the fattest wallet, not who is the most creative/inventive. It's become a very unfair playing field, where someone like me, for instance, wouldn't have a prayer in Hell, as I JUST DON'T HAVE THE FUNDS.

BOSS LX
05-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Although money is a necessity, it takes a whole lot more then a fat wallet!

nitrous
05-18-2009, 10:26 PM
The brighter the candle, the shorter the burn.

The more HP an engine makes, the less time you will spend actually driving it and just spend more on maintenance. No way around it.

Unless you go diesel....

Voodoo Chick
05-18-2009, 10:30 PM

Unfortunately, this is not necessarily the case....If someone has a big enough wallet, they don't need to know anything/do anything, all they need to do is PAY someone else to do everything for them. It happens this way sometimes.

Lash
05-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Unfortunately, this is not necessarily the case....If someone has a big enough wallet, they don't need to know anything/do anything, all they need to do is PAY someone else to do everything for them. It happens this way sometimes.

Somewhat true.

Driving a 1,000+ h.p. car takes a skill that can't be taught with any amount of money.

DR.FORD
05-18-2009, 10:41 PM

I couldn't have said it better. If anyone thinks you can buy 1000hp or more and thats it, they are living on "Fantasy Island"! It is only the beginning.

Voodoo Chick
05-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Somewhat true.

Driving a 1,000+ h.p. car takes a skill that can't be taught with any amount of money.

No matter what, it's about a billion times easier if you have the cash.....there are (so I have been told) opportunities to hire someone to teach you to handle said car, someone can be hired to maintain/build/paint it, etc......if you have the cash, there is no service, or teacher, that cannot be bought/hired. If you don't have the cash.....you're kinda.......................screwed.

DR.FORD
The brighter the candle, the shorter the burn.

The more HP an engine makes, the less time you will spend actually driving it and just spend more on maintenance. No way around it.

Unless you go diesel....

especially if nitrous is your power adder!

Lash
No matter what, it's about a billion times easier if you have the cash.

:confused

SSLEVO
05-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Somewhat true.

Yeah, but you could also argue that they could have the builder make all the shakedown passes and work all of the bugs out. Driving a car with a transbrake and a glide can't be too hard right :goof Not saying i have came close to piloting a 1k hp car though, hell i think my 350 whp car is fast :durr

Voodoo Chick
05-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Yeah, but you could also argue that they could have the builder make all the shakedown passes and work all of the bugs out. Driving a car with a transbrake and a glide can't be too hard right :goof Not saying i have came close to piloting a 1k hp car though, hell i think my 350 whp car is fast :durr

350 HP IS fast. I agree with you, though.....If someone has the money, they can pretty much have someone else to do EVERYTHING........ Those of us that have to save up for a month or two just to buy a better carburetor.....it's waaay different on our side of the fence. THIS is why I won't race my Z/28. Is the car fast enough to be impressive? Yes, absolutely......but......if I break something on her, she WILL be down for months, maybe a year, until I have money enough to fix what's broken. I don't have my wallet to the rescue, and this is why I feel that racing has become a little unbalanced. It's hard for those who have slowly and painstakingly built up 300-400 HP, only to be flattened by some rich guy with 1200 HP, and a bottomless bank account........It's extremely discouraging.

Lash
05-18-2009, 10:54 PM
350 HP IS fast. I agree with you, though.....If someone has the money, they can pretty much have someone else to do EVERYTHING........ Those of us that have to save up for a month or two just to buy a better carburetor.....it's waaay different on our side of the fence. THIS is why I won't race my Z/28. Is the car fast enough to be impressive? Yes, absolutely......but......if I break something on her, she WILL be down for months, maybe a year, until I have money enough to fix what's broken. I don't have my wallet to the rescue, and this is why I feel that racing has become a little unbalanced. It's hard for those who have slowly and painstakingly built up 300-400 HP, only to be flattened by some rich guy with 1200 HP, and a bottomless bank account........It's extremely discouraging.

Thats why they invented bracket racing.

:thumbsup

DR.FORD
05-18-2009, 10:56 PM

Well, let me know the next time you let the trans brake go in your easy to drive 'glide car and have to look out the side window to know you're not going to end up on the guard rail-see avatar to left.
Then again, Six Flags don't have a ride that thrills me!

Voodoo Chick
05-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Thats why they invented bracket racing.

I dunno........bracket racing is cool, and all.......but it would be nice if there were more options than just that open for the "little guys," know what I mean?

GTSLOW
05-18-2009, 10:58 PM

That gets traction too. That's key in a street car :D

SBC-Fox
05-18-2009, 11:27 PM

impressive??? it has a 350 the cars good for a 14 maby a high 13 im sick of every thread hearing how bad ass this thing is race it prove its fast or stop posting like you know what it takes to drive a fast car.

Greg took me for a ride in his true street mustang on motor i thought it was extremely healthy being low 10's and i addmitted i could never handle it on the bottle racing is as much skill as it is money:thumbsup

Voodoo Chick
05-18-2009, 11:31 PM
impressive??? it has a 350 the cars good for a 14 maby a high 13 im sick of every thread hearing how bad ass this thing is race it prove its fast or stop posting like you know what it takes to drive a fast car.

Greg took me for a ride in his true street mustang on motor i thought it was extremely healthy being low 10's and i addmitted i could never handle it on the bottle racing is as much skill as it is money:thumbsup

When was it exactly, that you decided to be a d*ck to me? We worked together, talked, laughed, and I thought we were, if not yet "friends," then at least close to being so.......what's your problem?

SBC-Fox
05-18-2009, 11:35 PM
not about being a dick can't stand every thread hearing how your cars so fast its a small motor and your saying that it doesn't take skill as to money to be a fast racer the only reason you say that is because youve never been in a truly fast car does money help umm yeah still takes a very high amount of skill to do it

BOSS LX
05-18-2009, 11:37 PM
The amount of time spent on these cars is more then the average person could ever comprehend. Money is an important, but small piece of the puzzle.

Some of the people that posted in this thread, know what it is like to work a 8-10 hour day and then come home and spend the same amount of time in the garage for months on end.

Money CANNOT buy smarts and determination!

I am in no way saying you need a high HP car to fall in to this category, it is just the direction this thread went in.

Remember, "if it was easy, it wouldn't be cool!"

And btw, driving the car is the easy part!

Voodoo Chick
05-18-2009, 11:42 PM
not about being a dick can't stand every thread hearing how your cars so fast its a small motor and your saying that it doesn't take skill as to money to be a fast racer the only reason you say that is because youve never been in a truly fast car does money help umm yeah still takes a very high amount of skill to do it

1) I NEVER said it doesn't require skill......I stated that if one lacks skill, they can PAY someone with skills to do it for them......2) I NEVER stated I am the world's greatest driver, and made no claims to such......3) You last saw my car a YEAR ago, and have no info on what has/hasn't been done to her since, you NEVER saw the car move, and in this case, have no basis of judgement whatsoever. 4) How do YOU know whether or not I have been in a so-called "truly fast" car? Have we spoken recently for you to obtain this info? No. I really liked talking to you......I really liked you, period. I looked forward to getting to know you better as a friend, and would never have gotten hostile or combative towards you.......I thought you were better than this online-bitchiness....I'm impressed with, awed by, in love with my own car, and not drooling over someone else's....so what? Isn't that how it SHOULD be?

LIZMO
05-18-2009, 11:47 PM

Exactly... i've been building my 240sx since October (08) and it's almost done and nothing on it has been "easy" but when it's done it will be "cool"

SBC-Fox
05-18-2009, 11:47 PM
You think your rs camaro is snappy its a 16 second car you said it was snappy and you said you were scared in that guys srt4 what ever im not gonna debate this with you but im tired of hearing you talk about racing like you know what its all about and yet have never made a single pass at gld

Sprayaway Fox
05-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Money is a big factor but whats the best is when you have a guy with a old Iron headed 350 beat up on a aluminum headed big cube engine its because he did his homework...

Building a super hot engine by buying all the best parts in the world wont get you anywhere besides staring at it in the garage wondering why it doesnt run rite. Plus if you by all the badass parts and it doesnt run a good number you look like a idiot. If your gonna tout the best parts money can buy ya better know how they work.

Voodoo Chick
05-18-2009, 11:56 PM
You think your rs camaro is snappy its a 16 second car you said it was snappy and you said you were scared in that guys srt4 what ever im not gonna debate this with you but im tired of hearing you talk about racing like you know what its all about and yet have never made a single pass at gld

You are missing the point. AND......where do I talk about it like I know everything again?? I never did. I have asked many people for advice, and info, and I LOVE to talk about cars, racing or damn near anything, but I NEVER made false claims. I LOVE driving my RS! She's not a dragstrip terror, but quick and fun, and as for the other one........that one is MY business. I know it means absolutely nothing to you, but I really did consider you a friend, and your hostility and unprovoked nastiness hurts. I honestly did not expect this from you, of all people.

Smokey1226
05-18-2009, 11:57 PM
lol, i stopped reading when the words The fastest has the deepest pockets. :durr

People that say that have NOOOO idea how hard this sport/hobby/lifestyle is to get a car/truck/bike to be crazy quick and/or crazy consistant.

For instant, i deal with a lot of guys at GLD and can remember walking by a HUGE RV connected to a HUGE stacker trailer, the car was being worked on by 4 guys and the driver was going over some computer info.

That takes big $$$

Then you have guys like Jim S., Jim P, Ron, Mark ect ect who have a couple guys max helping out, normal pickup truck a trailer and go whoop ARSE.

Hell even Headsup outlaw classes, Glidden has money but no where near some of the guys he competes against.....and he has no problem making them all look silly on his baby Small block.

No doubt, having money makes geting broken parts fixed faster, allowing time for test n tuning when others may have to work. But even with all that, you never know what you're going to run into when you pull up the tree! :banana1:

SBC-Fox
05-19-2009, 12:00 AM
lol, i stopped reading when the words The fastest has the deepest pockets. :durr

People that say that have NOOOO idea how hard this sport/hobby/lifestyle is to get a car/truck/bike to be crazy quick and/or crazy consistant.

For instant, i deal with a lot of guys at GLD and can remember walking by a HUGE RV connected to a HUGE stacker trailer, the car was being worked on by 4 guys and the driver was going over some computer info.

That takes big $$$

Then you have guys like Jim S., Jim P, Ron, Mark ect ect who have a couple guys max helping out, normal pickup truck a trailer and go whoop ARSE.

Hell even Headsup outlaw classes, Glidden has money but no where near some of the guys he competes against.....and he has no problem making them all look silly on his baby Small block.

No doubt, having money makes geting broken parts fixed faster, allowing time for test n tuning when others may have to work. But even with all that, you never know what you're going to run into when you pull up the tree! :banana1:
word:thumbsup

Sprayaway Fox
05-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Gimme a 10 inch tire car, stock suspension, and a low eleven,10 second time slip and Im happy.

Irish
05-19-2009, 12:29 AM
Gimme a 10 inch tire car, stock suspension, and a low eleven,10 second time slip and Im happy.

I would be very content with that too!

scaleracer
05-19-2009, 01:25 AM
Agreed 100%! You can have a 9 second car but you still have to know what your doing you can't just hop in and expect to know everything and money isn't always the answer.. I can't say I've been there but hopefully I'll be there someday. And yeah I'll have to agree all of the technology that has changed since I've been alive is amazing and always has you wondering what will be next and the best setup.. My dad even says back in the day a 12 or 13second car used to be fast now it's closer to a 9 or 10 second car..

FourEyedFord
05-19-2009, 02:09 AM
The amount of time spent on these cars is more then the average person could ever comprehend. Money is an important, but small piece of the puzzle.

Some of the people that posted in this thread, know what it is like to work a 8-10 hour day and then come home and spend the same amount of time in the garage for months on end.

Money CANNOT buy smarts and determination!

I am in no way saying you need a high HP car to fall in to this category, it is just the direction this thread went in.

And btw, driving the car is the easy part!

I don't think this could have been said any better! In order to just pick up a completely finished 1000+hp car tuned and dialed in at the track would take a STUPID amount of money. I think there are very few on this site with that kind of coin. This doesn't even include making the car consistent every track outing, regular maintenance/breakage, and driver skill/knowing the car's characteristics. The bottom line is, to get by without a shred of car knowledge solely riding on a fat wallet with one of these cars, is virtually impossible.

I have spent countless hours, days and late nights, working on/tuning my car. This doesn't include all the time spent by others helping me out either--whether its friends just lending a hand, or its one of the MANY instances its been to the chassis shop for the stuff that is over my head.

Building and operating cars like these takes a lot of cash yes, BUT it takes a great foundation of knowledge, time, and effort in the end too.

TheRX7Project
05-19-2009, 02:26 AM
I agree there's a lot more than money into these cars. I know I've spent a few nights working on my car til 2am... huge gash in my arm that I have no idea where it came from...

At the same time, I'm reasonably sure if I had the money my car would be considerably faster. I just don't have the cash to throw at it. Hell right now the thing needs BRAKES and I really can't spare the money to get everything, so I've been getting the parts when I can afford them.

It does take a lot of knowledge, a lot of time, and plenty of effort to build a car yourself, however it comes together a lot faster when the budget is there to back it up.

I can't build a 400hp motor when I can't afford the parts, not matter how much effort, time, and know-how I have. :goof

Voodoo Chick
05-19-2009, 04:12 AM
I agree there's a lot more than money into these cars. I know I've spent a few nights working on my car til 2am... huge gash in my arm that I have no idea where it came from...

At the same time, I'm reasonably sure if I had the money my car would be considerably faster. I just don't have the cash to throw at it. Hell right now the thing needs BRAKES and I really can't spare the money to get everything, so I've been getting the parts when I can afford them.

It does take a lot of knowledge, a lot of time, and plenty of effort to build a car yourself, however it comes together a lot faster when the budget is there to back it up.

I can't build a 400hp motor when I can't afford the parts, not matter how much effort, time, and know-how I have. :goof

EXACTLY what I was trying to say, too....although it would seem certain anonymous individuals cannot grasp that concept. MANY of us have the dedication, passion, and knowledge to build monster cars, but when you just DON'T have the cash, your dreams never take flight....OR, on the other hand, if you happen to get lucky with a "diamond in the rough" type car that is already pretty damn fast, you'll have some jackass getting their tampon wedged sideways over it and calling you a liar.........either way, it is a very expensive hobby/lifestyle......I think everyone has, at some point, had the "if I had tons of cash, I'd build......" conversation, but for most of us, unless we win the lottery, it's never going to happen. I don't really care, either way......I feel I already got lottery-lucky with the cars I have, and in my own eyes, they are better than anything, ever. If someone gets offended by that.....tough. I find it completely moronic that people actually get butthurt when you are openly dazzled by your own car, too....it's almost the same as someone being pissed off when you think your own wife is beautiful. Oh well, retardation knows no boundaries....:durr

juicedimpss
05-19-2009, 08:30 AM
wow,this thread sure changed directions...

I agree with bosslx for sure,it takes more than just deep pockets to field one of these monsters. I know of quite a few cars that have more time than money invested in them,and they actually run quite well for what they are.
Voodoo chick,you cant be discouraged by the other that "out spend" you,that should make you strive to do WHATEVER IT TAKES. sometimes that means a few part time jobs,or ramen noodles for a month straight,3 times a day..... ;D

DR.FORD
05-19-2009, 08:39 AM
I guess what is most amusing is how people think a guy is rich if he has big horsepower and a fast car. If you don't know their background, don't judge!
Look at Glidden vs Pappas!
Glidden works on a shoestring budget compared to Pappas, but uses what he and his family knows to get it done. But can you really take anything away from Pappas because money is on his side? He still has the love-drive-determination to do his thing.
Both come from different backgrounds but they share the same passion.
Can't we all just get along!!:goof

NitrousPig
05-19-2009, 09:19 AM
You also need to remember that it takes more than one person to make any car truely fast. I've never seen a fast car at any track with just one person working on it!

Top Fuel Tom
05-19-2009, 09:31 AM
you cant be discouraged by the other that "out spend" you,that should make you strive to do WHATEVER IT TAKES. sometimes that means a few part time jobs,or ramen noodles for a month straight,3 times a day..... ;D

That's it! How bad do you want it? If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. The rich guys were not all born rich. Many of them were just regular guys that built up a business or worked up the corporate ladder. They took a risk, sacrificed, worked hard, and made it happen. Now they get to play. Bottom line, build the car that you can, based on what time and money YOU are willing to sacrifice. Then go out there and enjoy it.

Irish
05-19-2009, 09:42 AM
I find it completely moronic that people actually get butthurt when you are openly dazzled by your own car, too....it's almost the same as someone being pissed off when you think your own wife is beautiful. Oh well, retardation knows no boundaries....:durr

Even a blind person needs to be told when there is a large crack in the sidewalk! :shades

Oh and regrading your signature....

If you don't have something nice to say shut your ******* mouth. :)
If that is how you feel,
(A.) You are on the WRONG website.
(B.) If you don't like/agree with what someone has to say, either ignore it or don't respond.

C'mon, we are not talking about nuclear thermodynamics.

Bottom line, build the car that you can, based on what time and money YOU are willing to sacrifice. Then go out there and enjoy it.

Quote ftmfw! End thread/.

DR.FORD
05-19-2009, 10:28 AM
That's it! How bad do you want it? If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. The rich guys were not all born rich. Many of them were just regular guys that built up a business or worked up the corporate ladder. They took a risk, sacrificed, worked hard, and made it happen. Now they get to play. Bottom line, build the car that you can, based on what time and money YOU are willing to sacrifice. Then go out there and enjoy it.

If they only knew, right Tom?!
Remember when it was cool to wire brush your brake drums, paint them red, and put on your used set of aluminum slots and air shocks!!
I even borrowed the money from Mom to buy the Truetest red enamel:goof

Top Fuel Tom
05-19-2009, 10:45 AM
If they only knew, right Tom?!
Remember when it was cool to wire brush your brake drums, paint them red, and put on your used set of aluminum slots and air shocks!!
I even borrowed the money from Mom to buy the Truetest red enamel:goof

:rolf:rolf:rolf

Hey, that was big dollar in the day!

I remember having my air shocks pumped up so hard that the back tires would bounce off the ground going over tar strips. :rolf

Moparjim
05-19-2009, 10:47 AM
I agree with everything being said here - it isn't just a fat wallet it takes a lot more, and yeah shit has really escalated the last 5-10 years.

I am by no means rich - I built my car by basically buying, building, selling, trading 50 different cars over 20 years into the hobby and basically slowly but surely working up to the cars I have now. I used to have beater classic Mopars, then a pretty nice Charger I built and rebuilt several times, DSMs, then Stealths, then my first Viper, then what I have now. Its not like many people including me just write a check for a high dollar car - its the culmination of years of work and upgrading.

Add to that the fact that you can't just write a check and hop in and click off a 8 or 9 second pass. Believe me, it's a whole new world stepping into driving an 8 or 9 second car. My last Viper ran 10.50s and the one I have now was like stepping into a whole new world. I was SCARED going down the track, for the first time in a long long time. Prepping it, launching it, keeping it straight, shifitng it, etc. is all suddenly a handful and it all happens so fast. A second or two faster doesn't sound like a lot, but it is an exponential difference. This is why I haven't run faster than 9.02 in a car that is capable of high 7's low 8's, same as many others. What is the fastest Tri has actually run in his Supra for example? It definitely takes a hell of a lot more than writing a check to get that fast timeslip.

I remember 5-10 years ago I had my Charger out a lot and with my first motor it ran 12.80's or so and that was fast enough to beat almost everything that was regularly out on the street. There were only really a few of the Mustang guys that were regularly faster lol. Nowadays, it seems your not "fast" unless you have a 9 second car....

DR.FORD
05-19-2009, 11:08 AM
:rolf:rolf:rolf

Hey, that was big dollar in the day!

I remember having my air shocks pumped up so hard that the back tires would bounce off the ground going over tar strips. :rolf

:rolf I actually miss those days! It was a whole lot easier!!
[QUOTE=Moparjim;542524]I agree with everything being said here - it isn't just a fat wallet it takes a lot more, and yeah shit has really escalated the last 5-10 years.

I am by no means rich - I built my car by basically buying, building, selling, trading 50 different cars over 20 years into the hobby and basically slowly but surely working up to the cars I have now. I used to have beater classic Mopars, then a pretty nice Charger I built and rebuilt several times, DSMs, then Stealths, then my first Viper, then what I have now. Its not like many people including me just write a check for a high dollar car - its the culmination of years of work and upgrading.

Add to that the fact that you can't just write a check and hop in and click off a 8 or 9 second pass. Believe me, it's a whole new world stepping into driving an 8 or 9 second car. My last Viper ran 10.50s and the one I have now was like stepping into a whole new world. I was SCARED going down the track, for the first time in a long long time. Prepping it, launching it, keeping it straight, shifitng it, etc. is all suddenly a handful and it all happens so fast. A second or two faster doesn't sound like a lot, but it is an exponential difference. This is why I haven't run faster than 9.02 in a car that is capable of high 7's low 8's, same as many others. What is the fastest Tri has actually run in his Supra for example? It definitely takes a hell of a lot more than writing a check to get that fast timeslip.

Absolutely!

TheRX7Project
05-19-2009, 11:13 AM
While I agree there's a lot more to building a car than a fat wallet... said fat wallet makes it EASIER.

I think that's the point you guys are missing. I'm not saying you guys don't have late nights, sweaty pits and busted knuckles on your cars. I'm saying being able to afford the go-fast goodies makes it easier to go fast.

And it is all about sacrifice. I have a certain level of comfort in life I'm not willing to give up. I know I could probably find an extra $100+ a month by not having cable or by cutting out eating out. I'm just not willing to do that.

As much as I enjoy my car, I enjoy my quality of life as well.

WhatsADSM
05-19-2009, 11:18 AM

Couldn't agree more.

No matter what your motorsport of choice there will always be someone faster. Only word of wisdom I have is build your car for what YOU want it to be. Don't try to build it to impress someone else. Have fun with the thing and don't get too caught up in paying XXX% more to go just a touch faster.

Fun is getting on the Howell ramp going a little sideways at 75... right Ron :goof My car may not ever go 10s, it may never break any records at RA, Gingerman, etc, but if it puts a smile on my face that's all that matters.

TheRX7Project
05-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Fun is getting on the Howell ramp going a little sideways at 75... right Ron :goof My car may not ever go 10s, it may never break any records at RA, Gingerman, etc, but if it puts a smile on my face that's all that matters.

I couldn't agree more, except that your car is more than capable of 10's

DR.FORD
05-19-2009, 11:30 AM
I couldn't agree more, except that your car is more than capable of 10's

Especially with that super slick paint job!!:goof
maybe 9s after the "finish polish"

juicedimpss
05-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Couldn't agree more.

No matter what your motorsport of choice there will always be someone faster. Only word of wisdom I have is build your car for what YOU want it to be. Don't try to build it to impress someone else. Have fun with the thing and don't get too caught up in paying XXX% more to go just a touch faster.

im still smiling ear to ear like a lil' kid on christmas.

i think imma be a ricer someday,that shit was fun.

Smokey1226
05-19-2009, 11:39 AM
with all this old school talk.....was i even born yet? :D

TheRX7Project
05-19-2009, 11:52 AM
im still smiling ear to ear like a lil' kid on christmas.

i think imma be a ricer someday,that shit was fun.

1st and 2nd Gen RX7's are cheap to be had and plenty of fun. If the wonder box scares you off just drop in an LS1 like everyone else and you'll have a hell of a handful of car.

DR.FORD
05-19-2009, 11:54 AM
While I agree there's a lot more to building a car than a fat wallet... said fat wallet makes it EASIER.

I think that's the point you guys are missing. I'm not saying you guys don't have late nights, sweaty pits and busted knuckles on your cars. I'm saying being able to afford the go-fast goodies makes it easier to go fast.

And it is all about sacrifice. I have a certain level of comfort in life I'm not willing to give up. I know I could probably find an extra $100+ a month by not having cable or by cutting out eating out. I'm just not willing to do that.

As much as I enjoy my car, I enjoy my quality of life as well.

I agree that a fat wallet makes it easier to buy the parts. That does not always equate to going faster.
I've lived "both sides of the fence"- I wouldn't trade either for anything.
Everyone should go from kindergarten to college one grade at a time.
I think I just got into "middle school":goof
MOST IMPORTANT is what Mr. Nitrous Pig said...
having people helping you is a huge part of the puzzle. You also find out your true friends when they want to see you do well and not ask for anything in return. NOBODY does it alone!
We can all agree that each individual person sets their own goals, so don't complain about what it costs. If you want it bad enough- EARN IT!!!!
Don't forget the old addage "Speed costs money- How fast do you want to go"!
I think you'll find that the majority of people with what you consider "fast cars" actually live it. Usually no other hobbies, Friday nights and weekends in the garage, NHRA boxers, etc.
oops, did I just say that?:rolf

juicedimpss
05-19-2009, 12:04 PM
I agree that a fat wallet makes it easier to buy the parts. That does not always equate to going faster.
having people helping you is a huge part of the puzzle. You also find out your true friends when they want to see you do well and not ask for anything in return. NOBODY does it alone!
We can all agree that each individual person sets their own goals, so don't complain about what it costs. If you want it bad enough- EARN IT!!!!
I think you'll find that the majority of people with what you consider "fast cars" actually live it. Usually no other hobbies, Friday nights and weekends in the garage, NHRA MANTHONGS, etc.

uh,jim.......might want to keep that stuff to yourself.
:rolf

DR.FORD
05-19-2009, 12:13 PM
phucker- I'll get ya back!!

Voodoo Chick
05-19-2009, 12:23 PM
[quote=IRISH;542503]Even a blind person needs to be told when there is a large crack in the sidewalk! :shades

Oh and regrading your signature....

If that is how you feel,
(A.) You are on the WRONG website.
(B.) If you don't like/agree with what someone has to say, either ignore it or don't respond.

C'mon, we are not talking about nuclear thermodynamics.[/quote}

Regarding my signature, A) C'mon!! You usually catch sarcastic jokes without having to be told they are jokes!! B) If everyone did this, there'd BE no forums, anywhere, people by nature feel compelled to share their feelings, and argue, and nitpick.....if they didn't, online forums would be , well, really, really boring........and....just for the record.....in this particular case....there IS no crack in the sidewalk! ;) :shades

Smokey1226
05-19-2009, 12:23 PM
^ Either of you too, bring grills down saturday? ill bring the brats and the Schmidt's Country Gas n Go Famous rolls and italian brat buns :D

juicedimpss
05-19-2009, 12:25 PM
^ Either of you too, bring grills down saturday? ill bring the brats and the Schmidt's Country Gas n Go Famous rolls and italian brat buns :D

we will have a grill at the track sir....:thumbsup

Smokey1226
05-19-2009, 12:37 PM
we will have a grill at the track sir....:thumbsup
:banana1::banana

SSLEVO
05-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Going to GLD tomorrow with the car on the E85 tune, i'll be F'in pumped if i can run a 11.9999. For half of you guys you can lift at the 1/8th and still beat me, haha. For me at 24 that is pretty damn fast, as i move along in my career i expect to get faster. Hell i just droped enough on an engagement ring to buy a full GT42r turbo kit. For some people a turbo kit and a 500 ring would have been the choice.:goof

Smokey1226
05-19-2009, 12:44 PM
^ Thats my happy dance!

Smokey1226
05-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Going to GLD tomorrow with the car on the E85 tune, i'll be F'in pumped if i can run a 11.9999. For half of you guys you can lift at the 1/8th and still beat me, haha. For me at 24 that is pretty damn fast, as i move along in my career i expect to get faster. Hell i just droped enough on an engagement ring to buy a full GT42r turbo kit. For some people a turbo kit and a 500 ring would have been the choice.:goof
Let me know how everything goes plz! oh and kick some arse sea bass!

DR.FORD
05-19-2009, 01:16 PM

Thats VERY cool!
I could only dream of going high 11s at 24 years old!!
Life is definitely about balance and it looks like you got it down:thumbsup
I predict .80s-you deserve it:headbang

FourEyedFord
05-19-2009, 01:22 PM
I think you'll find that the majority of people with what you consider "fast cars" actually live it. Usually no other hobbies, Friday nights and weekends in the garage, NHRA boxers, etc.

Very true...........well maybe not the boxer part or.........nevermind! :stare

If I ever think about spending money on something not car related, I usually think about how much car stuff I can get with that money. It always talks me out of it! What a disease, hey!? :D

PureSound15
05-19-2009, 01:36 PM
How many times have wee seen pictures of Lambo owners and Ferrari owners who spun their car into a pole. How many times have we seen celebrity figured (Hogan) wreck a beautiful automobile that they were able to PAY for but couldn't DRIVE.

Saying that the bigger wallet takes the cake is asinine.

I can't help but compare this to the "Money brings happiness" debate... to me, money certainly can relive stress and make happiness more available; but only until money brings it's own stress.

DR.FORD
05-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Very true...........well maybe not the boxer part or.........nevermind! :stare

If I ever think about spending money on something not car related, I usually think about how much car stuff I can get with that money. It always talks me out of it! What a disease, hey!? :D

It is definitely a brotherhood ...
of like-minded sick bastards:thumbsup

MurphysLaw88GT
05-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Money makes it easier, that is all.

The car "hobby" or "lifestyle" if you will, can/will be a harsh mistress to those without a fat wallet. But, motivation is what will make it happen. I am sure many on this board sacrifice a lot, some of it is money. However, the time invested into researching, wrenching, and preparation for ______ far outweighs the monetary investment almost all of the time. Without the motivated individual(s) (team/group of friends etc.), the "dream" will not happen.

I should know, lately I require lots of "encouragement" from friends to work on my cars. Over the past two years, I was not really motivated to do any "car stuff", I kind of got burnt out on it, and I have been slowly trying to get back into it. I don't have much money, but even if I did, I would not have wanted to do anything. I was not particularly inclined to do so. Yes, if I had lots of money I could do ____ , but long story short, one needs to be motivated to do what is required to have a "resource" intensive hobby like cars, or anything else for that matter.

SSLEVO
05-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Thats VERY cool!
I could only dream of going high 11s at 24 years old!!
Life is definitely about balance and it looks like you got it down:thumbsup
I predict .80s-you deserve it:headbang

Thanks man, you do know i was joking about the trans brake and glide... i think i would shit myself if the wheels came 4+ feet off of the ground. I used to have a 380 rwhp lt1 F-body and have since switched over to the dark side(evo). Road racing is a lot of fun too! I have WAY too many hobbies, lol

DR.FORD
05-19-2009, 02:24 PM
All in good fun!
Hope you do well:thumbsup

MurphysLaw88GT
05-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Think about what will be "fast" 100 years from now. Think of where we were one or two centuries ago, horse-racing was the "sport of kings" long ago. They were at their old-school custard stand shit talking/bench racing about how "my horse will smoke your horse".

Everything is now progressing at an exponential rate, we had pretty much had the same technology for thousands of years, but within the last 150 or so, our concept of speed is now largely exponential. Horses to space-travel, our thinking 500HP, 1000HP, 1500HP, 2000HP is "normal". My grandpa tells me about how he thought he was badass for throwing a 100HP Olds "Rocket 88" into an old hot-rod after he got out of the service in the Early '50s, he thought (still thinks) that WAS badass. Now badass is over 1,XXX HP. Times change, the concept remains the same!

Sorry for rambling...

Yeehaw
05-19-2009, 03:46 PM
kinda the thing with me and jer building up the prelude...doing it in my garage with our own tools and on our own time if it breaks we fix again and race again and hopefully have a cheap fun ass car for way cheap

Irish
05-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Regarding my signature, A) C'mon!! You usually catch sarcastic jokes without having to be told they are jokes!! B) If everyone did this, there'd BE no forums, anywhere, people by nature feel compelled to share their feelings, and argue, and nitpick.....if they didn't, online forums would be , well, really, really boring........and....just for the record.....in this particular case....there IS no crack in the sidewalk! ;) :shades

1.) You really gotta learn how to Quote lol! :goof
2.) I am not thick, and I can read sarcasm...usually It just seemed like you were taking other people disagreeing with you personally. If I was wrong in my perception... then I was wrong.
3.) At least admit that love is blind... even if you don't want to agree with me.
4.) Last but certainly not least... refer to (1.) :rolf

Irish
05-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Money makes it easier, that is all.

The car "hobby" or "lifestyle" if you will, can/will be a harsh mistress to those without a fat wallet. But, motivation is what will make it happen. I am sure many on this board sacrifice a lot, some of it is money. However, the time invested into researching, wrenching, and preparation for ______ far outweighs the monetary investment almost all of the time. Without the motivated individual(s) (team/group of friends etc.), the "dream" will not happen.

I should know, lately I require lots of "encouragement" from friends to work on my cars. Over the past two years, I was not really motivated to do any "car stuff", I kind of got burnt out on it, and I have been slowly trying to get back into it. I don't have much money, but even if I did, I would not have wanted to do anything. I was not particularly inclined to do so. Yes, if I had lots of money I could do ____ , but long story short, one needs to be motivated to do what is required to have a "resource" intensive hobby like cars, or anything else for that matter.

Truth!

xFullThrottlex
05-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Think about what will be "fast" 100 years from now. Think of where we were one or two centuries ago, horse-racing was the "sport of kings" long ago. They were at their old-school custard stand shit talking/bench racing about how "my horse will smoke your horse".

Everything is now progressing at an exponential rate, we had pretty much had the same technology for thousands of years, but within the last 150 or so, our concept of speed is now largely exponential. Horses to space-travel, our thinking 500HP, 1000HP, 1500HP, 2000HP is "normal". My grandpa tells me about how he thought he was badass for throwing a 100HP Olds "Rocket 88" into an old hot-rod after he got out of the service in the Early '50s, he thought (still thinks) that WAS badass. Now badass is over 1,XXX HP. Times change, the concept remains the same!

Sorry for rambling...

You'll have to tell your grandpa I think his 100hp rocket 88 swap is still cool, as well as all the guys that stick with their flatheads and blue flame sixes. Having a lot of horsepower would be awesome but the more I talk to people that just throw around their horsepower numbers the more it becomes a "How much can you bench" "My dad can beat up your dad" pissing match.

Irish
05-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Having a lot of horsepower would be awesome....

Go get some.

...the more I talk to people that just throw around their horsepower numbers the more it becomes a "How much can you bench" "My dad can beat up your dad" pissing match.

Or.... you could call it competition.

Todd Z
05-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Yeah, there will always be someone faster... I think i will stick to road racing, still just as expensive, but huge power isn't needed to go fast.

"just as expensive" You must only road race once a year! Drag racing is a cheap way to go even if you want huge #'s.

Take the pinnicle of Road Racing, Ferrari $350 million a year plus. Nobody in the public knows the actual budget.

What does a top tier top fuel team spend? NOT $350 million!

Irish
05-20-2009, 02:51 AM
impressive??? it has a 350 the cars good for a 14 maby a high 13 im sick of every thread hearing how bad ass this thing is

can't stand every thread hearing how your cars so fast its a small motor

You know I re-read this.... and you kinda made yourself look like a dick.

Sprayaway Fox
05-20-2009, 03:21 AM

Base 350 vortec engine, graphite head gasket, RPM air gap, a GMPP hot cam, 918 comp springs=425 there ya go throw it in with the 4.11 gear your rotaries got and ya would be haulin:shades:thumbsup

TheRX7Project
05-20-2009, 05:15 AM
Let me clarify- rotary. Like I told my dad countless times, if I wanted a Mustang I would've bought a Mustang.

Got Boost
05-20-2009, 07:31 AM
I guess what is most amusing is how people think a guy is rich if he has big horsepower and a fast car. If you don't know their background, don't judge!
Look at Glidden vs Pappas!
Glidden works on a shoestring budget compared to Pappas, but uses what he and his family knows to get it done. But can you really take anything away from Pappas because money is on his side? He still has the love-drive-determination to do his thing.
Both come from different backgrounds but they share the same passion.
Can't we all just get along!!:goofIts still kind of hard to compare the two... Glidden has his whole life dedicated to racing, for as long as his father was a little Glidden ..Im shure Pappas could teach Glidden a few things about a construction business ....Glidden has probabally 50x the amount of passes than Spiro... Im not bashing Glidden at all, Thats where experience pays off...Kind of funny how people bash Spiro...Why ??? Shure hes aan ass but If I had that money I probabally would too..... He still has the fastest single Turbo car ...

Got Boost
05-20-2009, 07:45 AM
I remember in 1994 Danny Scott won the Hot Rod fastest street car with a 7.70 wih a 648 2 Dominators and a fogger with 15x33s... Now cars with 400 inch Nitrous Motors and 300 Inch Turbo cars with 10inch tires go that fast

Greg@GLD
05-20-2009, 08:07 AM

Very well put Jim and Chip...
With that said, sometimes people suffer from an affliction called envy. They make it seem like it's a crime to work hard, make some money and then spend it. Several of us older guys deal with this all the time. When I was younger, I'd build cars out of junkyard parts. Back in the 70's, I took a wrecked GTO I found at Calumet auto salvage and stuck the driveline into a Tempest. Showed up at Tower with it and caught a lot of people off-guard. Beat up on guys who had "rich parents" and had cars bought for them, while I washed dishes and delivered pizzas to earn my "mods money"
I've built plenty of "cheap and fast" cars all by myself. To which I say "So what?"
I've worked hard all my life and now that I'm pushing 50, I really don't care if I "bought horsepower". Fast is fast people. I've heard people take shots at others about "anybody can buy horsepower" or "He paid somebody to build that car" (as if this somehow invalidates the horsepower or the car)
I've seen people put signatures like "If you didn't build it, it's not yours" :rolleyes:
I have a fast Cobra that I've done a lot of work on by myself. I have a fast Shelby that I went out and bought. I have news for you: The facts is, I like driving the Shelby a LOT more and really makes no difference to me that I "bought the horsepower" :shades
Prosperity is not a crime folks. Envy's a rather ugly trait though...

xFullThrottlex
05-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Go get some.

Or.... you could call it competition.

I'm content with what I have(for now.) Nothing wrong with competition, in fact, it's the driving force in this hobby it's just most people I talk to would rather put you down for not having what they have which isn't cool. But then again that's their business and not mine. BTW sick s10 in your avatar.

Myles
05-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Ahahahah. This thread is awesome.

Wanna know the best part about cars? You have options.

Fast Cheap Reliable. Pick two.

MurphysLaw88GT
05-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Ahahahah. This thread is awesome.

Wanna know the best part about cars? You have options.

Fast Cheap Reliable. Pick two.

Correct

Irish
05-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Pick two.

If I had a dime.....

2006wrxtr
05-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah back in the mid 90's my 79' malibu mid 12sec was pretty damn fast...

Irish
05-20-2009, 12:05 PM
It's just most people I talk to would rather put you down for not having what they have which isn't cool. But then again that's their business and not mine.

I am so fucking sick and tired of people ripping on other people for what they do and don't have. Fuck those assholes. And you're right it's not cool at all.
90% of the people that are being assholes that way, couldn't fight their way outta wet paper bag! The next time you get some shit from someone, politely extend an invitation to the business end of your knuckles....

I will say this 99.9% of the really fast cars here are actually owned by nice guys! You might get ribbed a little but it is usually innocent in nature.

BTW sick s10 in your avatar.

Thanks! It isn't anything special, other than the fact that it is mine, and for the most part (lol!) I enjoy it most of the time. :rolf

HY35F2T
05-20-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm content with what I have(for now.) Nothing wrong with competition, in fact, it's the driving force in this hobby it's just most people I talk to would rather put you down for not having what they have which isn't cool. But then again that's their business and not mine. BTW sick s10 in your avatar.

i know what you mean type of car fits in there too it isnt good enough that they get beat by a early 90's econo car.I guess in the end though its a lose lose situation for them if they lose or win.:rolleyes:

xFullThrottlex
05-20-2009, 01:24 PM
I am so fucking sick and tired of people ripping on other people for what they do and don't have. Fuck those assholes. And you're right it's not cool at all.
90% of the people that are being assholes that way, couldn't fight their way outta wet paper bag! The next time you get some shit from someone, politely extend an invitation to the business end of your knuckles....

I will say this 99.9% of the really fast cars here are actually owned by nice guys! You might get ribbed a little but it is usually innocent in nature.

Thanks! It isn't anything special, other than the fact that it is mine, and for the most part (lol!) I enjoy it most of the time. :rolf

Nothing wrong with a little ribbin':thumbsup. There are a lot of cars i'd consider fast on this site and so far i've really enjoyed my stay here. I guess with any hobby (or really anything in life) there are people your just going to like and some your just not going to see eye to eye with and i hear ya on the s10, i feel the same way about mine.

DR.FORD
05-20-2009, 01:36 PM

Amen!