PDA

View Full Version : Test Drove a 2010 Camaro

Exitspeed
05-15-2009, 08:23 AM
My dad and I went and saw Start Trek (which was pure awesome) yesterday and then he says, "He Gary at Holz said we should come up and drive the Camaro they have".

So we swing over there and my dad goes up to a salesperson and says "Gary wanted me to drive the Camaro."

He called Gary and Gary says "Give him the damn keys!".

Gary's the fleet manager at Holz and has been with Holz for like 25 years. Awesome dude.

So we get the keys to their Yellow with black strip v6 Auto Camaro. I was a little bummed about it being about, but wasn't that bummed about it being the V6 even though I'd rather drive the 8.

One thing I will say about the car, is it's a head turner. The thing looks much better in person and when it's driving down the road rubber kneckin is going on all around you. The design says retro without looking retro if thats even possible. Like this car could exist in an alternate future were the original Camaro it's designed after never existed. The shape just looks new. The rear fenders jut out wonderfully. They just beg to have some really wide tires stuffed under their wheel wells.

The car drove really smooth. The chassis felt really stable. It didn't shutter over bumps and penalize you for WI's rough roads. I went around the round about on Grange and 124th. This should be fun. As I exited the loop I really romped on it. While the power is there, the tranny and electronics really interrupt things. I'm used to older RWD cars with out all the fancy electronic intrusion. Once the the tranny and ecu figured out what it wanted to do the car firmly plants itself and jolts you back into your recliner. Over-all the power was there and I was really impressed by the V6, I still felt slightly hindered by the electric do dads.

I'm a fit and finish stickler. I can't stand seeing news cars poorly designed and even more poorly put together. Luckily I wasn't disappointed here. This cars interior really shines quality wise. All the seems in the fabric had this beautiful hand done double stitching that looked straight out of the CTS-V. The seats were bolstered just right and you just felt "at home" in them. Interior styling is another thing. I think it's a lover it or hate it approach but somehow I was on the fence. I didn't love it nor hate it. The controls on the steering wheel were sort of oddly placed as the wheel itself is concave and the controls go inward towards the center of the wheel. Looks wise, the concave wheel is sharp, functionally, it isn't' quit as pleasing. The gauges at the bottom of the center console are waaaay to out of the way IMO for them to be useful. They should be relocated to the top of the dash in a redesign.

Over-all I came away really impressed with the vehicle and it wasn't even the model I'd buy. Yes, I just said, I'd buy. I've never been able to imagine myself as a Mustang, Camaro, or "muscle car" owner before. Before yesterday that is. The wife and I are planning on probably two new or newer car purchases over the next couple years and while the Genesis Coupe was at the top of my list the Camaro has somehow muscled it's way up there.

Pun intended.

juicedimpss
05-15-2009, 08:26 AM
gary is a phuckstick.
:D

Greg@GLD
05-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Tell us how you really feel Ron!! :D

In my area right now, you can drive along the main drag and see in a line- new Mustangs, New Challengers, new Camaros and new Corvettes. Back in the mid 80's you'd have never thought that day would ever come again. Even it if's only temporary, enjoy it. Nobody ever thought you would see this again. I never thought I'd be able to buy brand new car in the year 2009 that's got 500 horsepower.

We're heading towards a different time. And this time it's going to be permanent.. :(

BAD LS1
05-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Yeah im gonna go drive one down there next week to see if its something i really want, if so the 01 goes on the block.

juicedimpss
05-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Tell us how you really feel Ron!! :D

In my area right now, you can drive along the main drag and see in a line- new Mustangs, New Challengers, new Camaros and new Corvettes. Back in the mid 80's you'd have never thought that day would ever come again. Even it if's only temporary, enjoy it. Nobody ever thought you would see this again. I never thought I'd be able to buy brand new car in the year 2009 that's got 500 horsepower.

We're heading towards a different time. And this time it's going to be permanent.. :(

he is actually one of my customers,and i have also bought a truck from him in the past. hes a good shit.
:thumbsup

jbiscuit
05-15-2009, 08:37 AM

Ain't that the truth. The Prez wants electic cars and new technology fuel to power everything so cherish these cars while they are available. It is exciting to see all these throwback cars on the road though. :thumbsup

Exitspeed
05-15-2009, 08:39 AM
he is actually one of my customers,and i have also bought a truck from him in the past. hes a good shit.
:thumbsup

Yeah I've know Gary since I was like 17. My dads been buying trucks from him for 12 years or so. Really good guy. I like when you go places and people take care of you.

jbiscuit
05-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Yeah im gonna go drive one down there next week to see if its something i really want, if so the 01 goes on the block.

:stare That Orange one with the stripes would make me do something stupid if I had my checkbook in my pocket and a dealer had one. LOVE the way that car looks. A Tommy-Turbo Edition would make the fun factor even cooler. You might have to check out that engine bay tommy to plan out where all the piping and the snail will sit :thumbsup

BAD LS1
05-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Vid of the M6 6 banger, looks to move out good and sounds kinda cool, almost like a 350Z. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55xQLOJl8Tc&feature=channel

BAD LS1
05-15-2009, 08:41 AM
:stare That Orange one with the stripes would make me do something stupid if I had my checkbook in my pocket and a dealer had one. LOVE the way that car looks. A Tommy-Turbo Edition would make the fun factor even cooler. You might have to check out that engine bay tommy to plan out where all the piping and the snail will sit :thumbsup

meh, all the bolt on cars i work on are more fun than this turbo shit that is kinda way too much for any kinda safe fun.

juicedimpss
05-15-2009, 08:42 AM
i think it is cool they came out with a 6cyl that actually wouldnt be embarassing to drive.

jbiscuit
05-15-2009, 08:52 AM
meh, all the bolt on cars i work on are more fun than this turbo shit that is kinda way too much for any kinda safe fun.

true....heads-cam-headers-tune 2010 would be fun! :thumbsup What rear gears do these puppies have stock in the SS?

Irish
05-15-2009, 09:02 AM
The RS looks better because it doesn't have the Z06 style front nose vent.

Karps TA
05-15-2009, 09:09 AM
The RS looks better because it doesn't have the Z06 style front nose vent.

I agree. I don't like the mail slot at all.

Actually I'm just not a fan of it at all besides the power train. Black is the only color so far that I somewhat like it in. But they leave so much orange peel in the paint now it ruins the look.

I've been trying to figure out what I don't like about it so much. I think it's due to all the LSx swaps that I see all the time. I'd rather have a real first gen with a LSx engine in it for a toy.

Voodoo Chick
05-15-2009, 10:06 AM
I agree. I don't like the mail slot at all.

Actually I'm just not a fan of it at all besides the power train. Black is the only color so far that I somewhat like it in. But they leave so much orange peel in the paint now it ruins the look.

I've been trying to figure out what I don't like about it so much. I think it's due to all the LSx swaps that I see all the time. I'd rather have a real first gen with a LSx engine in it for a toy.

Agreed. After seeing one of the 2010's in person, and looking it over thoroughly, I was still not thrilled. At all. It sounded blah, interior was mediocre, and the car looks, in my opinion, oddly bloated. I actually loathed the tail lights. I, too, cannot quite put my finger on exactly what it is about it that I don't like....but it's just NOT my idea of attractive. Those new Challengers seem to be superior in most ways. They look good, sound awesome, interiors look good......I dunno....that new Camaro was heartbreakingly disappointing to me.

Karps TA
05-15-2009, 10:11 AM
I think the 2 of us are in the minority on this one. lol But what you said echos my opinion.

Flicktitty
05-15-2009, 10:33 AM
i'm not a big fan of the cars styling. i like the performance that the SS and the RS has. but not a big believer on the looks.

i wish the challenger was on a "diet" that would be alot nicer.

946speedz
05-15-2009, 12:46 PM
a look at my fathers garage :) GM gave him one to drive for a week. overall he was very happy with it. said its quite zippy for a 6 banger and its put together very well....although he is partial since he helped put it together......
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d143/jmadness23/SDC10008.jpg

WhatsADSM
05-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Exitspeed, did you drive the Gen coupe yet? I am really curious to hear what you think of the 2 side-by-side. I think GM did a pretty damn good job on the new Camaro. Step up in a build quality, great powertrain (even the v6!), and at a good price. Not sure on the looks yet, I gotta see one up close.

Rocket Power
05-15-2009, 01:09 PM
I think the 2 of us are in the minority on this one. lol But what you said echos my opinion.

I am with you guys, I'm not feelin it either. I don't like the looks, like a caddy and a 69 camaro had sex and this is the result

Al
05-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I read in Car and Driver that the current V6 is actually faster than the original SS 396 despite the displacement, horsepower and weight disadvantages.

Holeshot
05-15-2009, 01:55 PM
I saw a red one parked in front of the South Milwaukee Library today just after 100
Looked sharp.

GTSLOW
05-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Vid of the M6 6 banger, looks to move out good and sounds kinda cool, almost like a 350Z. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55xQLOJl8Tc&feature=channel

Man that car just amazes me for a V6. 304HP and a 6 speed manual all in rwd trim.

Voodoo Chick
05-15-2009, 02:24 PM
I am with you guys, I'm not feelin it either. I don't like the looks, like a caddy and a 69 camaro had sex and this is the result

Or maybe like a '69 Camaro and a Javelin got it on......

07ROUSHSTG3
05-15-2009, 02:48 PM
I read in Car and Driver that the current V6 is actually faster than the original SS 396 despite the displacement, horsepower and weight disadvantages.

it is amazing to think what todays cars can do. very good comparison.

Voodoo Chick
05-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Regardless of what today's cars CAN do, I can point out readily what they CAN'T do, at least for me....they can't take my breath away, they can't thrill me, they can't bring to mind a better era, they can't create any magic. This is all strictly MY take on it, and by no means do I intend this opinion to be echoed by anyone else. HP, handling, whatever, is all great on paper, but......I would MUCH rather be driving that "obsolete" SS 396, thank you very much!

07ROUSHSTG3
05-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Regardless of what today's cars CAN do, I can point out readily what they CAN'T do, at least for me....they can't take my breath away, they can't thrill me, they can't bring to mind a better era, they can't create any magic. This is all strictly MY take on it, and by no means do I intend this opinion to be echoed by anyone else. HP, handling, whatever, is all great on paper, but......I would MUCH rather be driving that "obsolete" SS 396, thank you very much!

that is fine that you feel that way and many do. i used to drool over the old muscle cars, not so much anymore. yeah i love the old stuff, but give me a choice and i would take the better handling, better performing, safer, and IMO the better looking cars that we have today. to each their own ;).

88Nightmare
05-15-2009, 03:50 PM
the old muscle cars may be the true tradition, but its also tradition that times always have, AND must change....

Voodoo Chick
05-15-2009, 03:56 PM
the old muscle cars may be the true tradition, but its also tradition that times always have, AND must change....

I don't like change, I guess. I'm stuck in an era I didn't even live through, but....that's ok for me.

88Nightmare
05-15-2009, 04:00 PM
well in that case, A Very Brady Sequel is on comedy channel right now :D

shoooo32
05-15-2009, 04:04 PM
I just can't get over how it looks. Even in person I'm not a big fan. I am impressed with the drivetrain however, and from what I've read should put down great numbers with minimal mods.

Z28Envy
05-15-2009, 04:07 PM
I cant wait to see what the aftermarket comes up with for them.

Prince Valiant
05-15-2009, 04:13 PM
There's no denying that "they don't make 'em like the used to" is absolutely true...

and it's also hard to deny "that they make 'em better" is equally true.

Car's stop better, accelerate faster, handle better, far safer in accidents, do so cleaner, w/ better fuel mileage, quieter, and far longer lasting than before. It doesn't take away that old cars have a character all their own, and imo, perhaps a tad more enjoyable than new cars. I would not agree that today's cars are by any means "better looking" as cars of old were far more unique from maker to maker, and function followed form, rather than form following function of today's cars.

I myself though have never taken the "either or" approach as it's silly. Why can't one like modern and old muscle? Why would I have to say "I used to love blah blah blah until blah blah blah"? It's like the import vs. domestic argument...tired and stale.

07ROUSHSTG3
05-15-2009, 04:21 PM
There's no denying that "they don't make 'em like the used to" is absolutely true...

Car's stop better, accelerate faster, handle better, far safer in accidents, do so cleaner, w/ better fuel mileage, quieter, and far longer lasting than before. It doesn't take away that old cars have a character all their own, and imo, perhaps a tad more enjoyable than new cars. I would not agree that today's cars are by any means "better looking" as cars of old were far more unique from maker to maker, and function followed form, rather than form following function of today's cars.

I myself though have never taken the "either or" approach as it's silly. Why can't one like modern and old muscle? Why would I have to say "I used to love blah blah blah until blah blah blah"? It's like the import vs. domestic argument...tired and stale.

not really arguing. just saying, i like the newer stuff more than the older stuff. used to be the opposite. that is all i was saying. like whatever you want! that is the beauty of opinions :thumbsup

BAD LS1
05-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Its a love hate thing for any pony car. If you like them, like me then great. If you dont like them, thats fine too. But dont go around pissing and moaning how much they undermine the original or that this piece of trim bothers me etc etc... Its a car for a "niche" market. I grew up around old school muscle cars all my life, and im thankful for that... but old rickety shit and carburetors just dont do it for me where it would for others. Pretty clear GM nailed this car the best they could to fit broad expectation and i think its the best Camaro yet.

Karps TA
05-15-2009, 05:23 PM
It's wierd I loved the car in Transformers and would have bought one that night if they were available. But 2 years later I don't. So either I'm upset it doesn't transform into a robot, or subconsicously I'm just pissed at GM for all this bailout bullshit which makes it hard for me to like any GM product right now.

It's probably the robot thing...

Voodoo Chick
05-15-2009, 07:18 PM
well in that case, A Very Brady Sequel is on comedy channel right now :D

Oh......I was actually watching it!!!!! :rolf

Voodoo Chick
05-15-2009, 07:20 PM
It's wierd I loved the car in Transformers and would have bought one that night if they were available. But 2 years later I don't. So either I'm upset it doesn't transform into a robot, or subconsicously I'm just pissed at GM for all this bailout bullshit which makes it hard for me to like any GM product right now.

It's probably the robot thing...

I'm thinking that's my problem with it, too. :rolf

USMARINE1108
05-16-2009, 06:33 AM
Regardless of what today's cars CAN do, I can point out readily what they CAN'T do, at least for me....they can't take my breath away, they can't thrill me, they can't bring to mind a better era, they can't create any magic.

It sounds like you're writing a Bon Jovi song! :thumbsup

Exitspeed
05-16-2009, 07:24 AM

Great post. I agree with you completely.

It's funny, I have actually never liked muscle cars. I always went to WOW and to Jefferson with my dad and uncle as a kid and I thought the cars were neat but they never really got me excited like the concepts I was seeing in the pages of magazines.

Then as I got older a few muscle cars started growing on me. But not many. The 1st Gen Camaro is by far my favorite muscle car.

I actually can't stand most of the stuff from the 90's. Mustangs, Camaro's, Trans Ams.

So this new Camaro has everything I want. It has that classic look, but it has the all the modernness that make it a better performer in every way.

Voodoo Chick
05-16-2009, 12:14 PM
It sounds like you're writing a Bon Jovi song! :thumbsup

Well, I am......DUH. :durr

STANMAN
05-16-2009, 01:06 PM
johnny used to work on the docks?

Voodoo Chick
05-16-2009, 11:06 PM
johnny used to work on the docks?

.......union's been on strike....he's down on his luck..... :rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf

USMARINE1108
05-17-2009, 01:18 AM
Hahaha, I've always liked Bon Jovi and my wife's name is Gina.

Voodoo Chick
05-17-2009, 01:22 AM
I'll admit it.....I LOVE 80's hair-metal.

Rocket Power
05-17-2009, 10:02 AM
I'll admit it.....I LOVE 80's hair-metal.

:headbang

BAD LS1
05-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Just drove the yellow 6 banger auto tonight @ holz. What a fucking diff over the 4th gens! I love the seats and the wide feel of the interior. The ride was just amazingly smooth too. Only gripes are that yes there is a metric shit ton of blind spots and the front piller is about a foot thick lol. That would take some getting used to.

Z28Envy
05-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Just drove the yellow 6 banger auto tonight @ holz. What a fucking diff over the 4th gens! I love the seats and the wide feel of the interior. The ride was just amazingly smooth too. Only gripes are that yes there is a metric shit ton of blind spots and the front piller is about a foot thick lol. That would take some getting used to.

So.....when are you getting one?????

BAD LS1
05-26-2009, 11:41 PM
So.....when are you getting one?????

I plead the 5th:D

07ROUSHSTG3
05-27-2009, 07:36 AM
I plead the 5th:D

JUNE 5th! wow, not that far away!

jbiscuit
05-27-2009, 07:37 AM
That's awesome Tommy!!! Is there any way to drive one of the V8 cars? I have read that those buggers are rockets!

BAD LS1
05-27-2009, 09:02 AM
That's awesome Tommy!!! Is there any way to drive one of the V8 cars? I have read that those buggers are rockets!

They had one there that was sold that i wasnt allowed to drive. I'm not worried about the performance of the V8 SS. Driving the 6 banger version was good enough as i wanted to feel out how the car would be as a DD.

This car is will dominate its intended market, no fucking problem.

PonyKiller87
05-27-2009, 09:03 AM
If anyone is interested in these Hall on North Ave has about 6 on the lot, there were 3 RS's with dealer installed black stripes. The two sitting inside were 2SS with the RS package, 6 speed auto with the paddle shifters, black leather, painted engine covers... sticker with all the extras was $37k

BAD LS1
05-27-2009, 09:23 AM
starting in June they will have the stripes factory installed, already too many dealers mucking the installation of them up.

Deggy
05-27-2009, 09:34 AM
I bet you are already thinking of a cool personalized plate for your new 5th gen Tom!

BAD LS1
05-27-2009, 09:53 AM
I bet you are already thinking of a cool personalized plate for your new 5th gen Tom!

Yeah alot of thought would go into that if i were to get one... BAD LS3? lololol

Irish
05-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Yeah alot of thought would go into that if i were to get one... BAD LS3? lololol

I hope you got it in black.:thumbsup

GTSLOW
05-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Tom's gonna have the first 5th Gen on BCM :goof

jbiscuit
05-27-2009, 10:19 AM
I hope you got it in black.:thumbsup

hell no! That orange with the stripes is gorgeous! :thumbsup Either way...the rubber necking with the 2010's is insane. There was one at the grocery store monday night and about 15 people were standing around it with their camera phones. Only Danny Gokey gets more attention in Milwaukee :rolf

Irish
05-27-2009, 10:22 AM
hell no! That orange with the stripes is gorgeous! :thumbsup Either way...the rubber necking with the 2010's is insane. There was one at the grocery store monday night and about 15 people were standing around it with their camera phones. Only Danny Gokey gets more attention in Milwaukee :rolf

:rolf :rolf :rolf

jbiscuit
05-27-2009, 10:33 AM
I think Tommy should go all out:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a79/StefanoBimbi/2010%20Nickey/NICKEY_INF_ORNGnBLACK_sm.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a79/StefanoBimbi/2009%20Mecum%20Indy/2009MecumatIndy119.jpg

PonyKiller87
05-27-2009, 12:00 PM
starting in June they will have the stripes factory installed, already too many dealers mucking the installation of them up.

Yeah, I was giving the sales guy crap when he walked up to me and asked me what I though.

First the stripes look like some really low quality material. Second, they didn't even bother to clean off the water spots on the car, just installed right over them, so Im guessing theres wax under them too. Third there not straight or centered. Just eye ballin it I could tell the ones on the rear were about 1/4 to the right. So yeah the $470 they marked it up for the stripes was a rip.

And the painted engine covers looked great, nice and glossy... to bad the rest of the engine bay looks like it doesnt have clear so the red looks completely different... That was another $300 something I think..

If I got one it would be a factory order and unmolested by the dealer.

The other thing I noticed after getting in and really looking at it, I dont like the tach and speedo, there small and they way they dish in like a cone makes them look gay.