PDA

View Full Version : Domain/Web Hosting Advice

dsireme
05-13-2009, 01:41 PM
I have been using Lunar Pages for years and have had nothing but problems and the other day all of my email address disappeared, so I have to finally find another place.

Does anyone have advice on any of the places out there, good or bad? I am pulling my hair out looking at all of the reviews online. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Nick
05-13-2009, 02:32 PM
www.totalchoicehosting.com

I have had almost consistent uptime for about 5 years now. Best host ever.

animal
05-13-2009, 02:34 PM
I use godaddy. $4/month and you get like 10 gig of space for your shit.

WhatsADSM
05-13-2009, 02:42 PM
I use godaddy. $4/month and you get like 10 gig of space for your shit.

Yea. I have used a bunch and I also now have godaddy.

Not the highest performance thing out there. But really reliable and a good price. For personal or (very) small business stuff it's been the best hosting I have found yet.

Myles
05-13-2009, 02:42 PM
I buy my own servers. Fuck hosting places.

Nick
05-13-2009, 02:49 PM
I buy my own servers. Fuck hosting places.

What happens when your power or ISP goes down and you have no power redundancy to keep it going?

Myles
05-13-2009, 02:55 PM
What happens when your power or ISP goes down and you have no power redundancy to keep it going?

They are in datacenters. Co-locations. I dont run em out of my house.

dsireme
05-13-2009, 02:56 PM
I have 2 domains right now and probably going to get a 3rd. Email storage is a big concern more than anything since I keep most everything. 98% of it is personal, so I am really not concerned about business hosting.

Myles
05-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Get setup with a pop account and store it on your comp. No point in doing it IMAP or with webmail since that is too unreliable. Since all you do is mail you probably can get some shitty webhost company that supports pop and be done with it.

Nick
05-13-2009, 02:58 PM

So you're basically still renting a hosted server.

Myles
05-13-2009, 02:59 PM
So you're basically still renting a hosted server.

No, i buy a server, then send it to the datacenter, and they plug it in. I pay for rack space and ethernet connection.

dsireme
05-13-2009, 02:59 PM

When I use to own my BBS which turned in to an ISP it was run out of my house. Was nice if there was a problem at 2:00 in the morning, just walked in to the other room and fixed it.

Myles
05-13-2009, 03:01 PM
When I use to own my BBS which turned in to an ISP it was run out of my house. Was nice if there was a problem at 2:00 in the morning, just walked in to the other room and fixed it.

I have enough issues with the computers i do have at my place. No need to have more shit i dont want to deal with.

animal
05-13-2009, 03:04 PM

What BBS did you run? Was it out of SM?

dsireme
05-13-2009, 03:08 PM
What BBS did you run? Was it out of SM?
I was in Bay View at the time. The name it was under when it was big was Synergy Entertainment Network (SEN.COM). It was a Galaticomm MajorBBS.

Nick
05-13-2009, 03:26 PM
No, i buy a server, then send it to the datacenter, and they plug it in. I pay for rack space and ethernet connection.

How much does the server cost you and how much are your annual charges for rack space and EC?

wrath
05-13-2009, 03:30 PM
I use powweb.com. Has gotten shittier since they got bought. Biggest problem is throughput and CPU. Don't notice it too much because Time Warner licks donkey scrotum in August but when I'm at work (multihomed DS3s) I notice it. Things like phpBB and Gallery tend to beat on mysql and their equipment doesn't hold up the best. But it's cheap and have never lost data.

I'd colocate but in the Land of Cheese ATT dominate the feeble telecommunications infrastructure and causes colo prices to be redonkulous.

animal
05-13-2009, 03:44 PM
I was in Bay View at the time. The name it was under when it was big was Synergy Entertainment Network (SEN.COM). It was a Galaticomm MajorBBS.

Nice. I used to help out on a buddies bbs in the area named cyberquest. I actually came in posession of some of the backups and a copy of MBBS and I'm trying to get it back up and running again as a telnet board. :durr

Myles
05-13-2009, 03:51 PM
How much does the server cost you and how much are your annual charges for rack space and EC?

Server ranges. last one i built was less than a grand. i pay 40 a month for the rack and 100 mbit connection

Nick
05-13-2009, 03:58 PM
So i'll assume this one is $1000 + 40(12) =480

Annually you pay $1,480 to host your own server somewhere else. This is not including the technological lifecycle factor of the server itself. To me, that's a lot of money that could easily be saved by doing things a bit differently.

I'm not attacking you at all just so you know. Just trying to figure out the actual benefits of running your own server, opposed to virtually hosting one for a fraction of the cost, with the same benefits.

Myles
05-13-2009, 04:04 PM
So i'll assume this one is $1000 + 40(12) =480

Annually you pay $1,480 to host your own server somewhere else. This is not including the technological lifecycle factor of the server itself. To me, that's a lot of money that could easily be saved by doing things a bit differently.

I'm not attacking you at all just so you know. Just trying to figure out the actual benefits of running your own server, opposed to virtually hosting one for a fraction of the cost, with the same benefits.

I pay more for 1 thing. I am the one who is in charge of that box. Can you SSH into a virtual hosted box? Can you install whatever applications you want and run whatever content you want? Or are you limited to what the TOS is of the company cause you are renting their property?

Here is the problem Nick, people like you have no use for a server. You don't have enough knowledge nor need for a full server that is only yours. All you need is to host a website.

I need a shell, ability to compile stuff on said box and setup things the way I need it for web applications more so than website by itself.

ALSO, i have 4 IPs, its a dual quad core box running VMs 3 linux setups and a win2k7 server. You can get a 1U server for damn near free from companies getting rid of old shit. So then you just throw it in a datacenter and pay 40 bucks a month for it. You can price it within your budget if you want.

So remember, you get NONE of the benifits when you go virtual hosted. All you get is a website.

dsireme
05-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Nice. I used to help out on a buddies bbs in the area named cyberquest. I actually came in posession of some of the backups and a copy of MBBS and I'm trying to get it back up and running again as a telnet board. :durr

Me and my idiot ex-husband used to write modules for MBBS. WilderLands was one of our big ones. He was the programmer, not me (I was the sysop). I did write a very popular game that he programmed for me. I made a lot of money with that game.

As for the BBS itself, if I remember correct, was up to 26 lines. Then BBS's died and we went in to the ISP buisness and well the big guys pretty much killed us once they came out.

The SOB sold off the domain sen.com which really pisses me off because if he was to ever to get rid of it, I was suppose to get it. I wanted to put up a WG board but I haven't had the time. I have all the software for it.

dsireme
05-13-2009, 04:09 PM

Actually if you ever need any help setting it up, let me know. It has been a few years and I might be a little rusty but I pretty much know inside and out of MBBS. Hell if my brain is still working correctly, I probably could still ready GP errors.

lordairgtar
05-13-2009, 05:11 PM
So that's kinda like a trailer park for servers.:goof

Nick
05-13-2009, 05:14 PM
I pay more for 1 thing. I am the one who is in charge of that box. Can you SSH into a virtual hosted box? Can you install whatever applications you want and run whatever content you want? Or are you limited to what the TOS is of the company cause you are renting their property?

Here is the problem Nick, people like you have no use for a server. You don't have enough knowledge nor need for a full server that is only yours. All you need is to host a website.

I need a shell, ability to compile stuff on said box and setup things the way I need it for web applications more so than website by itself.

ALSO, i have 4 IPs, its a dual quad core box running VMs 3 linux setups and a win2k7 server. You can get a 1U server for damn near free from companies getting rid of old shit. So then you just throw it in a datacenter and pay 40 bucks a month for it. You can price it within your budget if you want.

So remember, you get NONE of the benifits when you go virtual hosted. All you get is a website.

I'd stick your foot in your mouth regarding the bold as you really have no basis for saying that.

But I will go ahead and agree with you on the rest. If that's what you need, then by all means I can respect that.

jon_we4
05-13-2009, 05:38 PM
My case is a little special, I went from using 7U's at a DC down to 1U after selling my big sites. But like Myles said, nothing beats controlling your own box. Fortunately enough my clients make up the cost spent.

Besides what Myles said, security is also different. If you don't need ports open for FTP, Email, SSH, etc ... you can close them up and VPN in to do the administration.

You can get a 1U box on ebay, throw in some new hard drives... maybe some RAM. Throw linux on there and theoretically be able to host a crazy amounts of low volume websites.

The downsides .... Backup? Well if you are not on the DC's backup you are taking a risk. I invested a lot in really fancy RAID cards and hard drives. And I used Amazon's S3 for a backup. I think I have a few gig's out in S3 and it costs me less than $2 a month. Downside to S3 is you need to have some sort of scripting experience to create the backup 'program'.

Now that I mentioned S3 ... what about Amazon's EC2? You create your own server instance in their cloud and pay for the amount of server power you need and hours of uptime. It's all virtual.

Myles
05-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Nick no disrespect but if you did then you wouldn't have debated the fact with me.

animal
05-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Me and my idiot ex-husband used to write modules for MBBS. WilderLands was one of our big ones. He was the programmer, not me (I was the sysop). I did write a very popular game that he programmed for me. I made a lot of money with that game.

As for the BBS itself, if I remember correct, was up to 26 lines. Then BBS's died and we went in to the ISP buisness and well the big guys pretty much killed us once they came out.

The SOB sold off the domain sen.com which really pisses me off because if he was to ever to get rid of it, I was suppose to get it. I wanted to put up a WG board but I haven't had the time. I have all the software for it.

Ouch. 3 character domains are hard to come by... especially pronouncable ones. I don't think I ever connected to that board. I was on a few local ones besides cq. Most notable being phantasy, cept then I had it out with the sysop there. Kinda funny there's actually anyone here that remembers the old bbs's.

dsireme
05-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Ouch. 3 character domains are hard to come by... especially pronouncable ones. I don't think I ever connected to that board. I was on a few local ones besides cq. Most notable being phantasy, cept then I had it out with the sysop there. Kinda funny there's actually anyone here that remembers the old bbs's.

ODS was I guess what you would have considered our big competition at the time.

I miss BBS's. They were a lot of fun. Made a lot of friends. We use to have gathering every Tues.

Oh well, now we have the Internet.

animal
05-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Yeah the good ole days. lol. ODS still has a board up I think. I was playing tradewars there the other day lol.

dsireme
05-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Yeah the good ole days. lol. ODS still has a board up I think. I was playing tradewars there the other day lol.

You're kidding me. What's the link. I know thw kid, well he probably isn't much of a kid anymore, that bought it off the orginal guy. In fact they used use for hosting for a while years ago.

animal
05-14-2009, 08:41 AM
telnet://ods.ods.net

Greg@GLD
05-14-2009, 08:48 AM
This stuff is way over my head... You techno-types amaze me...

:goof

animal
05-14-2009, 08:52 AM
This stuff is way over my head... You techno-types amaze me...

:goof

I know it's kinda hard to follow. ;)

:thumbsup

Nick
05-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Nick no disrespect but if you did then you wouldn't have debated the fact with me.

No - I asked because I don't know what you do. I have seen your TGD website but there is no content to it. All I see is a basic CMS with A video and some forums. So I wondered why you couldn't accomplish that with hosting.

Myles
05-14-2009, 03:59 PM
No - I asked because I don't know what you do. I have seen your TGD website but there is no content to it. All I see is a basic CMS with A video and some forums. So I wondered why you couldn't accomplish that with hosting.

Thats cause i have 5 subdomains that i am testing a hand coded site 2 frame works and 2 modded CMS's. GL fusion is more of a place holder now. The content that is on it is not able to be seen by the public, it is seen by the members that are allowed that are involved with various things on the site. I can understand from that point of view as to why you thought i don't need a dedicated server. But there is alot that I do that is behind the scenes.