PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing basement walls ( cinderblock )

awsomeears
05-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm doing some plumbing and heating work at my buddys and he asked me if I can tackle a different job, I said I would let him know.

His basement is 30x30

He recently had drain tiles installed and would like to turn his basement into something cool, his walls previously had 1970's brown fake wood all over. When those panels were installed all they used was S shape lines of caulk up and down the walls and just pressed that fake wood on :rolf

Everything is down and well his walls are peeling and are drying out ( used to be damp ) and there is caulk on the walls everywhere. Looks like liquid Nails !!!

My goal is to refinish the cinder blocks, pretty much removing all the original paint/caulk/mildew and such.

Belt sander ?
San blast it ?
TNT ?

After I would like to prime/seal/paint the walls, what do you recommend ?

I can paint but my knowledge in the products is not up to par because I haven't sealed any basements before.

Any help would be great

:thumbsup

2000navyz
05-11-2009, 11:44 PM
pressure washer... ;)

Al
05-12-2009, 03:47 AM
Ever think of insulating the basement?

I've seen people use 2x2s and place foam insulation between the studs. You can also run power lines in the wall and it will look very clean.

UnderPSI
05-12-2009, 06:35 AM
I had the same thing. Use a scraper. I used an air scraper and it worked pretty well. As far as insulation if he water proofed and added drain tile, he should have insulated the out side of the block. That works the best. On the walls I didn't drywall I used Drylock paint. You have to use two coats and it is thick like paste. Looks really nice when it's done though. You would probably need 30 gallons to do the whole basement.

Exitspeed
05-12-2009, 07:47 AM
You can buy concrete stripper at Home Depot. Or if you want heavy duty call up a concrete equipment place and ask them what they have that you should use. Then pressure washer.

awsomeears
05-12-2009, 08:34 AM
I had the same thing. Use a scraper. I used an air scraper and it worked pretty well. As far as insulation if he water proofed and added drain tile, he should have insulated the out side of the block. That works the best. On the walls I didn't drywall I used Drylock paint. You have to use two coats and it is thick like paste. Looks really nice when it's done though. You would probably need 30 gallons to do the whole basement.

What brand was the drylock paint, and are you happy with it ?

Air scraper, like a pneumatic ?

Thank man :thumbsup

jbiscuit
05-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Get Drylock brand. Its the only brand that will work and hold up. A MUST for southeastern WI basement walls. I would also recommend you furring strip and insulate the block then also. Sheet rock over that. It will look the best.

88Nightmare
05-12-2009, 12:49 PM
I used drylock paint on the blocks, then built a frame using 2x4's and used regular fiberglass insulation