PDA

View Full Version : ls trans question

TraNs_aM
05-11-2009, 03:50 PM
i'm looking to pull my tranny off for the 2nd time last time i had to take the intake off to get to the upper bolts has anyone got it done without taking the intake off ? also putting a stall are those any more then just sliddin them on the shaft or is there more too it?

PonyKiller87
05-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Get a 24" long extension with either the wable end or a swivel head socket. Make sure you take those two out first then do the easy ones.

SLOWC5
05-12-2009, 07:02 AM
We just pulled kyles and re-installed it last night. Never touched anything from under the hood. Everything was under the car.

JEFF SMITH

BAD LS1
05-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Auto cars are a Pain in the dick to get that top bolt. You need to loose the rear cross member and disconnect the torque arm. support the trans and let it down as faras it goes w/o rest on the firewall. take a 24" long ext + another 6" ext and a 13mm swivel and use a pipe on the end of the ratchet for leverage and should be able to get it loose. going in with the tools from the driver side rear of the trans is about the best shot.

as far as the converter it needs to make 3 clicks when its installed, it has to be rotated. if its not on all the way, you will have very little to no clearance between the bolt bosses and the flywheel. if its right you should have about a 1/4" gap or more from the converter mounting bosses and the flywheel.

TraNs_aM
05-14-2009, 04:20 AM
thanx guys sorry i did forget to mention it was auto and out of a trans am

1997 Trans-Am
05-15-2009, 08:39 PM
why not just leave the very top bolt out? 7 bolts should be plenty. i mean LT1's only use 6 and there fine.

TraNs_aM
05-17-2009, 11:58 PM
lol well the top bolt is out right now cuz well my buddy only told me there were 8 bolts in it and he got the top 2 but i guess there was one more at the very top end of it when i pulled the motor i snapped the bell housing so the top bolt doesn't have a spot to hold anything i might just leave it out i guess i'll have to debate taht when i put the new one in thanx for the suggestion