PDA

View Full Version : So if the Social Security account will be dry by 2042...

Yooformula
03-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Why the f@ck should I continue to pay into it knowing I wont get benefits when I retire? Oh yeah, Channel 6 news showed a quick blip about how it will be dry by 2042 while they were bashing on Medicare. I only know of 1 person that has relinquished their ss#.

Al
03-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Don't worry. They know about it and will adjust the plan accordingly.

Its the short term view which got people like Clinton into the whiite house. Something will be done about it. Currently, the retirement age is going up. Back in my grandpa's day, when you retired, you were expected to live for about a decade. Now people live for an additional 30 to 40 years.

The only other problem is the cost of perscrition drugs.

Yooformula
03-23-2004, 11:02 PM
I dont buy that propaganda at all. I have always believed that the SS will be gone but its not something that is talked about readily otherwise people would not want to pay into it and something like this could be a firestorm. Especially if people realized that there is a way out of paying. Yeah people are living longer but why should I HAVE to work until 72-75 just to collect the money I have paid for since I was 14?

Prince Valiant
03-23-2004, 11:31 PM
Actually, there is a way to collect the money that you've paid in already. Might not get ALL of it, but you can certianly get a sizeable chunk of change.

I am very much against the current set-up....if you pay all your life and die at age 67 after taking out 2,000 bucks...the rest of your benifits are gone. What the hell? At least with IRA/etc that money is yours to will to whom or what you choose.

Plus, SS is one of the worst returns on an investment one can make...what, you make 2% tops? That is provided that you can live to see all the benifits? SS is BS. I really wish that they would reform it so that one could control at least a portion of their accouts....at least then the potential to create wealth for oneself is there, especially for those who can't now afford to invest.

Yoos, sounds like your becoming quite the little libertarian :thumbsup

Cryptic
03-23-2004, 11:38 PM
so spill the beans,.. how do I get my money back from SS

Yooformula
03-23-2004, 11:45 PM
Everyday I become more and more undecided er confused.:( I honestly dont think any present politcal party can do the public justice.

Yooformula
03-23-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by CrypticGTX
so spill the beans,.. how do I get my money back from SS

You have to be ready to renounce your ss # and everything that goes along with it. Basically, the IRS is a company of the US. Therefore, you are in essence and employee or it or contracted to it. But the number is issued to you at birth when you are NOT of legal age to consent, and being a natural born citizen technially entitles you to renounce your number. VERY long process and with many hassles(IRS threats, no credit, no checking account, hard time finding a job, no unemployment) but something to consider for those of us that just fume over this kind of ****. I dont mind paying taxes for the most part but not the extra slushfund sh|t they take out for.:fire

02hawk796
03-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Yooformula
Everyday I become more and more undecided er confused.

Obviously, you don't get it. Let me explain it to you simply.
You and 9 other people give me $10. Then you make a list of 10 other people, and have them give you $10 each, of which $1 each you send to me. Then you tell them the exact thing I've told you, and you continue to give me $1 for every $10 you get, and you'll be rich!!! Honest, I would never lie to you! I'm a Democrat, and also I'm the weasel that will save you from the evil Japanese who I let attack Pearl Harbor.

This is essentially the speil that FDR fed Americans, and they thought this was a great idea. The only thing needed for it to work is every person must reproduce 10 offspring (20 kids per husband/wife). It's simple! Then every generation will mathematically support the financial needs of the retiring generation.

Unfortunately, some people recognize this as a Ponzi Scheme, which was outlawed in America (when? the 60's? or so?). But this isn't a Ponzi Scheme, it's SS! It's different!! So even though the base principles have been outlawed, the Democrats running Congress from 1954 until 1994 made sure to keep this baby intact, so you will keep voting for them while they steal you blind.

Those now retired are the fools who voted for FDR and this ridiculously foolish scheme, and they now demand you give them the money that FDR promised them. Just because they were gullible enough to buy this Edsel, they now want you to pay for their folly.

You can't really expect them to pay for their own mistakes, can you? It's politically incorrect to hold people responsible for their errors. Just pay up!

FiErO-5spd
03-24-2004, 03:00 PM
Ok that last post just confused me now lol

Milw96Cobra
03-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by 02hawk796
Obviously, you don't get it. Let me explain it to you simply.
You and 9 other people give me $10. Then you make a list of 10 other people, and have them give you $10 each, of which $1 each you send to me. Then you tell them the exact thing I've told you, and you continue to give me $1 for every $10 you get, and you'll be rich!!! Honest, I would never lie to you! I'm a Democrat, and also I'm the weasel that will save you from the evil Japanese who I let attack Pearl Harbor.

This is essentially the speil that FDR fed Americans, and they thought this was a great idea. The only thing needed for it to work is every person must reproduce 10 offspring (20 kids per husband/wife). It's simple! Then every generation will mathematically support the financial needs of the retiring generation.

Unfortunately, some people recognize this as a Ponzi Scheme, which was outlawed in America (when? the 60's? or so?). But this isn't a Ponzi Scheme, it's SS! It's different!! So even though the base principles have been outlawed, the Democrats running Congress from 1954 until 1994 made sure to keep this baby intact, so you will keep voting for them while they steal you blind.

Those now retired are the fools who voted for FDR and this ridiculously foolish scheme, and they now demand you give them the money that FDR promised them. Just because they were gullible enough to buy this Edsel, they now want you to pay for their folly.

You can't really expect them to pay for their own mistakes, can you? It's politically incorrect to hold people responsible for their errors. Just pay up!

You just made my "personal hero of the day" list.

That was beautiful.

SMS 1
03-24-2004, 05:05 PM
:wstupid It's pretty obvious you will never be a politician HAWK. Your point was laid out well, with a good analogy, and it made sense. Got my vote anyway:thumbsup

02hawk796
03-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by SMS 1
:wstupid It's pretty obvious you will never be a politician HAWK. Your point was laid out well, with a good analogy, and it made sense. Got my vote anyway:thumbsup

I've never aspired to be a politician (some of you may have noticed my lack of tact & diplomacy). A Public Office Holder would seem to be an honorable application of effort, but politician? No, there is no place in America that needs another of those.
Of course, I couldn't become a Public Office Holder either, because if an elected position, voters would elect a politician over me. :D

Is it my imagination, or have the thread discussions improved dramatically since pinko honrude was banned?

Cryptic
03-24-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Milw96Cobra
You just made my "personal hero of the day" list.

That was beautiful.

:wstupid well said man

Joe Q.
03-27-2004, 01:36 PM
If you were born on a military installation aka Fort McKoy you are an american citizen- once you join the milatary you are an american citizen, people born in Porti Rico or the Virgin Islands are american citizens-- all the rest are citizens of the United States or not obligated to pay government taxes or ss but are requested to. Your main body of government is your state and the state pays the federal government its share of taxes ect.There are ways not to pay but they are very involved and usually not to our benift,( I was born on a military base so I did look into the rights) there has to be lawyers out there that can do something but I'm sure they would lose there license for doing so, so good luck and post somthing if you find an answer or solution.!

02hawk796
03-27-2004, 02:11 PM
I don't know about the others, but

Originally posted by Joe Q.
once you join the milatary you are an american citizen,

this is incorrect. My fellow Marines from other countries who served in the USMC retained their original citizenship, and most have returned to their originating country, having never surrendered or abandoned their citizenship. They were not required to become American citizens, and they were in combat, worked for the State Dept, served on Embassy Duty, and could hold a number of other Classified duties - not sure if they had any restriction regarding Classified Access, didn't seem like it.

They also served with honor and distinction. Semper Fi.

Joe Q.
03-27-2004, 02:49 PM
not taking anything from fellow vets! but this is what i was told and read hope you are right !

02hawk796
04-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Milw96Cobra
That was beautiful.

If you liked that, you might enjoy post #89 on page 6 of the following thread. It was a response to a senior council member's apparent request (post #76) to be schooled on that which he knew not.

http://forum.fbody.us/showthread.php?t=28815

I tried to enlighten him, but it didn't seem to take.